Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TeamSpeak 3 the best?

angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

My small gaming guild is looking to start using voice-comms again.  We briefly tried TS and Ventrillo in the past but found the latency (lag) in those systems to be very annoying.  Adjusting gains and volumes was also a continuous hassle.  TeamSpeak 3 supposedly has less latency than older versions.  Can anyone who has used TS3 and other voice-comm software give me your opinion on TS3.  Any suggestions regarding VOIP software for mmorpgs in general would be welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

use skype  I have found it better then vent and teamspeak

• coomscooms Member Posts: 219

skype it up yo. 4 real. 

• Merlin1977Merlin1977 Member Posts: 168

Skype is probably the best but alot of people don't like using Skype for gaming, myself included.

Ventrillo is maybe the more confusing one to setup if you've never used a voice system before and yea it lags like hell, ive been running instances before and when 1 person is lagging everyone elses latency sky rockets!

TS3 is really good, its also the most secure if you're a security conscience guild. It has less latency imo over Vent and i find it to be easier to setup and just login into a server.

Personal choice at the end of the day, just remember that your choice won't please everyone but i would maybe mention skype and see what there response is, if its positive then use that one, if not then TS3 is the one i would probably go for.

• farfanugonfarfanugon Member Posts: 419

make sure you dont let others know your using it when in parties of players not on your chat line

im not the only one that instant boots chatters form my pug partys

the o my bad what was that i was on team speak = woop you just got kicked if your talking and missing text what else are you missing?

• A-L-S-EA-L-S-E Member Posts: 113

I tried to use TS3 for my guild in WoW back in January, and personally I found it absolutely terrible.

It was completely user-unfriendly. Unless they've changed it since then.

I'd go with Skype. :3

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237

Have you tried Mumble?

Kind of complicated setup, but *really* low latency. 

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

My fleet just switched to TS3, because the voice quality, latency, and customizability is better.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by maacaaviityy

Anyone who mentions Skype or Teamspeak are not real gamers.

would never consider using Skype personally, but Teamspeak and Vent are pretty much a requirement for Online gaming these days, not having one or both would limit your ability to actually participate in games. i would actually say that anyone not using voice comms these days, is out of touch with modern gaming.

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Thanks for the comments so far.  My concerns with Skype are that it uses a fair amount of the PC's resources and I have heard that it can effect the PC's performance while gaming.  Also Skype would limit me to a group of 5 and I would need to have at least 7 people on at once.

I don't know anything about Mumble.  I will look for some info on that one.

• maacaaviityymaacaaviityy Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by Phry

would never consider using Skype personally, but Teamspeak and Vent are pretty much a requirement for Online gaming these days, not having one or both would limit your ability to actually participate in games. i would actually say that anyone not using voice comms these days, is out of touch with modern gaming.

My point was that ventrilo is the way to go.

• PlutonicwoesPlutonicwoes Member UncommonPosts: 343

I love mumble, it is FANTASTIC. Setting up murmer is quick and easy as well.

If you want HQ voice and private server for free, it's the way to go, period.

If you can shell out a few bucks a month, grab vent.  Skype is nice as well, but my first pick free or no will be mumble. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Phry

My point was that ventrilo is the way to go.

cant actually disagree with that, i have both TS3 and Vent, i know some prefer one over the other - Vent has better sound quality imo, though i havent been in fleets larger than about 40 or 50 to see how it copes with larger numbers - compared to TS3, current Corp/Alliance im in TS3 is a requirement, and it does seem to do the job.

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Plutonicwoes

I love mumble, it is FANTASTIC. Setting up murmer is quick and easy as well.
    If you want HQ voice and private server for free, it's the way to go, period.
    If you can shell out a few bucks a month, grab vent.  Skype is nice as well, but my first pick free or no will be mumble. 

Let's ignore cost for a moment, as it isn't really a big issue for me.  Let's also ignore the relative popularity of the different products, as we will only be grouping within our guild for the most part.  Would you recommend Mumble over Vent?

My primary concerns are (1) low latency and (2) ease of use.