Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STEAM USERS: YOUR WARNING IS HERE

Comments

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

one thing id like to say is that where i dont like having to buy a game to get a freidns list its actually a good idea to do so since its kinda like a free ventrilio

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155
    Originally posted by joker007mo

one thing id like to say is that where i dont like having to buy a game to get a freidns list its actually a good idea to do so since its kinda like a free ventrilio

You want a free ventrilo that works better ? Check this one out I bet you will love it MUMBLE and get the 1.2.2 version (stable). Built in overlay included.

• ponerrponerr Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by treysmooth

Originally posted by ponerr

Silent Hunter 5  - UBISOFT
    Most disgusting DRM I ever seen.. Werent they just getting sued over this stuff not long ago.. and here they are getting even worse..
    Company is dead in my eyes.. Can't believe how they have treated me as a customer..... Ubisoft is BANNED IN MY HOUSEHOLD.

Easy solution do research before you buy a title.  ALL of the ubi soft crap has this protection now.  Yes its garbage and yes I find it borderline illegal, but it says that the software comes with it just like Assassins Creed II does and all the other UBI crap.  Hard lesson but tbh your fight is with ubisoft from my perspective not steam.  

No, you are wrong, I am right. I bought the title thru Steam, thru steam I will get my refund not Ubisoft.. I do not have to undergo a

5 day technical support request because steam thinks i played the game for 12 hours. If you think that is some kind of law, then take the time to back that up wtih documenation through research. You are not a lawyer, and I am not in here for opinions. I know my rights as a consumer.

Retailer controls the sales problems, It was a sales problem I am entitled to a refund, I asked for it instead of charging back and forcing a bank charge to them. They threaten to use my previous purchases to keep a sale they should refund.. They are playing games. Consumers do not need to go through these problems. They do it to profit as most won't challenge or go through with the chargeback.. This can actually lead to Fraud on steam's end.. Let me tech you a part of retail fraid that actually takes place and WHY YOU HAVE CONSUMER RIGHTS

See at this point, steam can say to UBISOFT, we refunded this purchase and remove the $xx.xx money they pay to UBISOFT after taking their cut.. They can then NOT REFUND ME MY MONEY, thus keeping the entire $59.99. There's many things you young ones need to learn... There are many other scenarios.. they are not the point here.. The point is customer satisfaction, consumer laws, and the right to a refund wheny ou are not satisfied witih your purchase using your credit card in your state.

The chargeback is my bank saying yes, you have the right of the laws of your state to get a refund so they do it for me.. I am not calling them saying i did not make the purchase.. If they grant the chargeback, and Steam suspends my account.. Then we shall see how much they truly own and control... Because that is theft or fraud. or something, i dunno the lawyers will handle it from here

-- Pon --

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

So the lesson here is, check if the game you want has DRM and make sure you do this before you checkout.  If it has it, walk the other way and keep walking the other way every time you see it thereafter.  It may surprise some people that there are a lot of folks out there that don't know what DRM is, nor how troublesome it can be.  Spread the word, stop buying games that contain it and stop supporting companies that promote it. 

I still use Steam because I simply like the convenience, I'm just a lot more discerning about what I purchase now and won't hesitate to say no to a DRM-laced game, no matter how shiny it is.  Given Ubisoft's current policy, everything they produce from now on will fall into this category.  At least until they smarten up...

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Question for the OP.

Did you talk on the phone or by e-mail? Again being in the retail business I know no matter how right you are, if you start out yelling at a CS rep you will get NOWHERE! If they can't kick you up to someone higher they will say ANYTHING to either satisfy you or get you to hang up/leave. This may be the case here.

I've used Steam since it came out, big fan follows everything they do ect. and have never heard of them suspending an account for non-payment of funds. I HATE DRM also so I'm on your side. Hope you can get it worked out.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

This is wishful thinking and won't happen but wouldn't  it be funny if Steam stopped carrying new ubisoft games because Ubisofts DRM and unstable DRM/save game servers was costing Steam too much money and time in customer service and dissatisfaction lol.

• krikeelkrikeel Member UncommonPosts: 56

You have never been able to return a game once its opened no matter what. If its broke they will replace it with the same game. This goes all the way back to the 80's.

Originally posted by Drakynn

This is wishful thinking and won't happen but wouldn't  it be funny if Steam stopped carrying new ubisoft games because Ubisofts DRM and unstable DRM/save game servers was costing Steam too much money and time in customer service and dissatisfaction lol.

On a side note to breathe a little and talk smack...

Yeah, tells how though how much publishers are in control and this needs to change.. For example D2D is really getting its butt kicked from this VAC crap and steam control.. So D2D did the smart thing and started promoting alot of games, mostly indie games as DRM free and i was shocked and looking forward to going back to them. They took a blow to the chin on MW2 and The monopoly Steam is creating.. But if you look in their cart.. You see SilentHunter 5 promoted, so its hard to take their stance seriously.. if they really thing Steam is a trojan, and not just bitter about them not able to see it.. why are they promoting this other UBISOFT DRM... Sounds to me like anyone will do anything to float and money talks, and products = money.

-- Pon --

• MandarrMandarr Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 300

Most disgusting DRM I ever seen.. Werent they just getting sued over this stuff not long ago.. and here they are getting even worse..
    Company is dead in my eyes.. Can't believe how they have treated me as a customer..... Ubisoft is BANNED IN MY HOUSEHOLD.

Easy solution do research before you buy a title.  ALL of the ubi soft crap has this protection now.  Yes its garbage and yes I find it borderline illegal, but it says that the software comes with it just like Assassins Creed II does and all the other UBI crap.  Hard lesson but tbh your fight is with ubisoft from my perspective not steam.  

No, you are wrong, I am right. I bought the title thru Steam, thru steam I will get my refund not Ubisoft.. I do not have to undergo a

5 day technical support request because steam thinks i played the game for 12 hours. If you think that is some kind of law, then take the time to back that up wtih documenation through research. You are not a lawyer, and I am not in here for opinions. I know my rights as a consumer.

Retailer controls the sales problems, It was a sales problem I am entitled to a refund, I asked for it instead of charging back and forcing a bank charge to them. They threaten to use my previous purchases to keep a sale they should refund.. They are playing games. Consumers do not need to go through these problems. They do it to profit as most won't challenge or go through with the chargeback.. This can actually lead to Fraud on steam's end.. Let me tech you a part of retail fraid that actually takes place and WHY YOU HAVE CONSUMER RIGHTS

See at this point, steam can say to UBISOFT, we refunded this purchase and remove the $xx.xx money they pay to UBISOFT after taking their cut.. They can then NOT REFUND ME MY MONEY, thus keeping the entire $59.99. There's many things you young ones need to learn... There are many other scenarios.. they are not the point here.. The point is customer satisfaction, consumer laws, and the right to a refund wheny ou are not satisfied witih your purchase using your credit card in your state.

The chargeback is my bank saying yes, you have the right of the laws of your state to get a refund so they do it for me.. I am not calling them saying i did not make the purchase.. If they grant the chargeback, and Steam suspends my account.. Then we shall see how much they truly own and control... Because that is theft or fraud. or something, i dunno the lawyers will handle it from here

Omg, you're a silly guy.  You go get your lawyer Mr. Internet Tough Guy lol.  Sucks to be you, but then to tell you the truth.  I don't care lol.

This website is a safe haven for trolls and haters. I'm done with this pathetic site.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I'm glad I read this before I bought more games off steam. It never occured to me they would hold your account ransom. Seems very illegal, but then again when does the government give a crap about its citizens? They only care about the corporations that love to get bailed out by taxpayers.

Steam is now uninstalled off my system.

Originally posted by krikeel

You have never been able to return a game once its opened no matter what. If its broke they will replace it with the same game. This goes all the way back to the 80's.

No sir, you have never been able too.. And this has nothing to do with whatever you are trying to spin. Steam owns you, and if you ever have a problem, you better get ready to realize you risk losing everything.. ask yourself.. IS THE CONVIENENCE AND REQUIREMENTS IT WORTH IT?

-- Pon --

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

i never had problems with steam, i pre-ordered, bought games and got games refunded without any trouble

[mod edit]

• Robdc84Robdc84 Member Posts: 156

its actually not steams fault its ubisoft it there DRM not steam. steam is the retailing selling the game digtal download. as for the charge back go for it not my account. i would take your problem up with ubisoft not steam.

IN THE FACE!

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155
    Originally posted by brostyn

I'm glad I read this before I bought more games off steam. It never occured to me they would hold your account ransom. Seems very illegal, but then again when does the government give a crap about its citizens? They only care about the corporations that love to get bailed out by taxpayers.

Steam is now uninstalled off my system.

Ontop of this their prices are about 30 % markup from other stores if you buy the games there, and you get no box or nothing but  a digital download which dont cost them one cent manufacture. It was hilarious to see when they had 30 % discount on games. And the shops was about 2-7 euro cheaper then.

Some game require steam tho, but never ever buy the games in their online store because you get ripped off.

Steam is still on my system tho, all because of Modern Warfare 2, which is why I both love and hate Infinity Wards.

• krumbkrumb Member Posts: 4

First.. I haven't read the whole thread.. Just a thought.. all you steamed guys get together and file a class action law suit

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

Whatever man lol you do have every right to do a charge back but at the same time due to them getting hit by the chargeback they have every right to ban your account.  See how that works?  I will tell you this you buy a game through best buy then return a OPENED pc game the next day and see if you get a refund, short answer you won't.  You MIGHT get store credit if you make a big fuss over it but never a refund.  If you do a charge back you are screwing Steam and they have every right to ban your account for it, case closed.  You can bitch all you want about how its theft and fraud but bottom line its in the fine print I GURANTEE that if you do a charge back they reserve the right to ban your account.  So go ahead and do that charge back and then I'm sure you will come here on your crusade as they will surely ban your account and tbh I don't feel bad about someone that didn't check into what drm's are on the game before purchasing(fyi its right there on the game page that you order on that it contains that drm), go check it out if you don't believe me.  

Originally posted by patrikd23

Originally posted by joker007mo

You want a free ventrilo that works better ? Check this one out I bet you will love it MUMBLE and get the 1.2.2 version (stable). Built in overlay included.

good call thanks now maybe i can have steam exited so i can free up cpu lol

Originally posted by Unlight

So the lesson here is, check if the game you want has DRM and make sure you do this before you checkout.  If it has it, walk the other way and keep walking the other way every time you see it thereafter.  It may surprise some people that there are a lot of folks out there that don't know what DRM is, nor how troublesome it can be.  Spread the word, stop buying games that contain it and stop supporting companies that promote it. 

I still use Steam because I simply like the convenience, I'm just a lot more discerning about what I purchase now and won't hesitate to say no to a DRM-laced game, no matter how shiny it is.  Given Ubisoft's current policy, everything they produce from now on will fall into this category.  At least until they smarten up...

i honestly want to know i thought that drms were ruled invasion of privacy due to the fact that companies werent telling the customer it was installing stuff on the comp and the only way to remove it was a rootkit that they had to give out to those with the drms installed on comps and replacing the discs with ones that didnt have it that could be music cds though  still cant be good ill have to look that up...

• PlutonicwoesPlutonicwoes Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Originally posted by TJ_420

I feel for you OP- I wont use steam and have warned people away from them-
    The reason for a "no return" policy on software is due to people copying games and returning them- That is IT. When using a service like Steam there is no way to copy the damn game anyway. Period.
    I would just give up on steam, torrent the games you have paid for already since you have already paid anyhow and consider this a lesson learned.

Just so you know, a large portion of pirated games now are steam releases.  

The absolutely can be cracked, copied, shared, and run without steam.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Do what the rest of Pc gamers do, if a company insists on using such anti piracy methods that only screws over the paying customer more then simply bit torrent their product that's had this crap taken out until these companies learn they're DRM's and not needed nor do they do any good, and that they'll get more copies sold and respect from the gamer if they remove the DRM. DRM do nothing to stop games going on bit torrent, it does stop many buying because of the DRM alone. Most Pc gamers want to give cash to the developer who created a game they love, but not they act like this and don't get it.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Steam is the reason I gave up on the Total War series of games. I really wanted Napoleon Total War but the game comes packaged with the STEAM software which equals a no-sale for me.

I check the back of the box these days and if I see "STEAM" anywhere on it I put it back on the shelf or click to another game if ordering online.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    Originally posted by Mysk

You're entirely correct, of course, but there are a couple of issues to point out:
    A.) Software - games, MS Office, whatever - is never "purchased".  Technically speaking you purchase a license that legally gives you a right to run the software.  Yet just like a driver's license, the license can be revoked.
    Don't get me wrong.  They're being absolute nits about it, in my opinion, but that's the technicality that they have you by.  I ran into a similar situation awhile back that made me look at my games list and say, "No more."  It was a frightening wake up call.  Knowing about the license issue is one thing.  Experiencing the problem is another (frightening, expensive) matter entirely.
    Also, don't do anything that will annoy Steam.  They can ban your account if you don't behave, so do be careful about voicing your opinion.  It is not a democracy, after all.
    Also, do not tie your physical copy to your Steam account.  Same issue, ya know?
    A lot of people won't have trouble with it and they'll laugh at the tiny possibility that it would ever happen to them, but you can bet that they'd be pitching a fit if it DID happen to them.
    B.) DRM is DRM.  It's evil, vile, and as we all know, the only people who it punishes are the paying customers.  This is going to sound incredibly harsh, but let this be a lesson to everyone.  Remember what happened to you, and do not support DRM'd products in the future - if that is at all possible.  It is pointless, but prevalent.
    Good luck.  I empathize with you, but I suspect that you'll get flamed and called names by people who think that something like this could never happen to them.  They're good netizens, after all, and gosh it's Valve!  So how could it be bad? Heh heh...

Yep, this isn't just a Steam problem, this is how the entire software industry operates.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Why all the steam hate?  This is clearly a 100% UBISOFT issue, its ubisofts DRM (that does not work) and its ubisofts choice to use steam (which works).

Go burn down UBISOFT, steam is just doing what it has been paid to do by unisoft.

If you could not log into steam thats a different matter.. but that's not the case.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Bunch of gits, the lot of you.

The OP is full of sensationalism. I'll bet the OP's account is fully functional as we speak.

Poster below is right. The fact that you even considered buying a new Ubisoft game with the awful DRM attached to it is more appalling than the fact (according to you, at least) that you have spent $2000 dollars on Steam games alone.

Besides, it's pretty funny that this post is on an MMORPG forum. You know, the genre where a great deal of the games are "rented" on average of $15 a month- stop paying and it isn't yours. Call it legal fine print or whatever you want, it's in the same vein that Steam's agreements are in.

• CSKitCSKit Member Posts: 3

Silent Hunter 5? They did you a favor! Call customer support and thank them...

This discussion has been closed.