Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To the general mmorpg.com community. Why do you dislike Saga of Ryzom?

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I tried out Ryzom 2 times, but never lasted more than a few hours and then quit. I can't say 100% why. But that starter experiece really was boring. I can't say how it is beyond that, but it was so like an Asian grinder, kill 10 of X. I dunno, I just didn't feel captivated. It sure looks great IMO. Also combat was a bit boring. But generally I blame it on this totally non exciting starter experience. I think its a pity, Ryzom looks good and is an innovative idea in some ways, but I never felt any appeal in those first hours.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by Kyleran

Well, I gave it a short go and the reason I avoided it was....
    1) Awkward UI and Tutorial left a lot to be desired
    2)  No one around, this was back when it was still free and I saw maybe 5 people. 
    3) I never made it off the starter island, so I never saw the actual game world or interacted with the player base.
    4) While I'm not a graphic whore, they did seem to be a bit dated.
    5)  I prefer non consensual PVP as found in EVE, and Ryzom doesn't offer it.
    6)  Lacking proper information sources, I somehow got the impression the early game in Ryzom to make money was about mining nodes or something and there was considerable risk in even doing mining (nodes could blow up?). That didn't sound very entertaining, I hate random deaths totally beyond my control.
    7) I want assurances that the development team is committed to improving the game play experience and at the time I saw no evidence of a plan to do so.  (not sure I see one now)

Kyleran I would like to thank you for contributing to my thread, you never disappoint.

With that said I understand your gripes, Saga of Ryzom isn't really targetted for the ffa pvp crowd. Which is a good thing since we have other kick ass games like that.

I am happy to say that the games graphics have been bumped up, Tutorial has been improved, more people are willing to team up and guild new players.

Your random deaths concern is understandable but if you spent more time with gathering you would see that mechanics are in place to stop a node from doing that. its called careplanning.  You can run missions,sell animal parts and crafted good for dapper (money) early on no need to dig.

I think if you tried it again and got off the tutorial island you would be pleasantly surprised. If you do let me know im in an alliance with the biggest guild on the server. I can show you around a bit.

You know, I might just take you up on the offer if i can get my son to stop playing Aion. (Lord, I'm starting to loath it)

I didn't really give Ryzom a fair shake the first time, and as you said, things have changed quite a bit, so it deserves another look.  I don't always have to PVP, like you said, we've got games like EVE for that and sometimes a nice fantasy game world can be fun.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by uquipu

Is it one of those games where everyone is a tank-healer-mage?

Nahh you could use rifles and guns, You can try to be a tank but most melee use some type of 2h weapon or dual a sword/dagger combo. Magic is split up into different types like defensive affliction, elemental and others.

This is one of those games that doesnt really get to crazy with the holy trinity since everyone is so different.

I know melee can pick up a taunt skill but I have not seen any other type of threat mechanics in the game.

Ryzom is pretty unique the way its set up. Also keep in mind there is no skill cap so over time (a very long time) you ccan do damn near everything with one character so you have a ton of options.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

Ryzom is one of those games I keep meaning to give another try.  My first go around I didn't get very far I think the only real grip I had about the game was the fact that a single person could master every skill.  I liked in UO creating different character for different uses.  Even if I had to work some of the same skill up several times.

Are they still doing just a monthly fee?  I am casual and going back and forth between several games so a monthly fee doesn't work for me anymore.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

To be entirely honest....I never got past the area I started in.  The UI, in my opinion, was horrible. It is not at ALL intuitive.  One of the first things I do when I fire up a new game is explore the UI and try to figure out where you can find character information, where your skills are, if there's a log, a map, how chat works, what channels are in existence, where your attacks and spells are at, what the most efficient way is to use them (clicking or keyboard), how the UI can be customized (or IF it can be customized), etc.  I found the UI to be very counter-intuitive. It actually reminded me a bit of the original EQ UI, and I really hated that interface. It's also what kept me from ever playing the original EQ outside of the starting area.

I will say, that for the 20 questions or so that I had to ask...the community was very nice, kind, and patient. But the starting area was dead dead dead. There was no one around at all. It seemed very lonely. I don't know...maybe I wasn't in the best mood when I tried to play it, but it just left kind of a "meh" feeling with me and so I never went back and tried again.

For me, I think sometimes that sandbox games just have TOO much sand. I don't always feel like creating the entire game myself. And it's kind of nice to know early on, what my "purpose" in the game world is and what the back story is more. Why am I here? What is my function in this new world? What is "needed" of me?  I can't really explain it. I know there was some story explained, but apparently (it's been a year or two ago) it didn't light a fire in my soul to go further.

To top off all of those rather disjointed feelings I was having about the game, the UI, etc...in the back of my mind was the question, "Am I willing to add another monthly MMO fee to the two I already have, and if I am....is this the game I would want to add?" When I coupled that question with the non-intuitive feel I initially got....it was just kind of a turn off for me. :(

Incidentally....none of my feeling about it really reflect on the game itself, but more the space I was coming from in trying it. I'm sure it's probably a wonderful game. If it weren't....it would probably have folded long ago and I know there are people that say they LOVE it, so...it can't be all bad.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Originally posted by Venger

Ryzom is one of those games I keep meaning to give another try.  My first go around I didn't get very far I think the only real grip I had about the game was the fact that a single person could master every skill.  I liked in UO creating different character for different uses.  Even if I had to work some of the same skill up several times.
    Are they still doing just a monthly fee?  I am casual and going back and forth between several games so a monthly fee doesn't work for me anymore.

They have a 21 day trial and then a Low cost sub (10 bucks).

I understand your Skill cap issue. If it makes you feel any better not one person in the game has every skill mastery after 5+ years.

Also similar to eve, skills are kinda attached to gear so you can't take advantage over every skill you learnt so it works out.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

no idea what the OP is talking about this is one of the very few games that people on this site support in a positive manner.

Well guys I would like to thank you for posting in my thread you were a great help and im happy to say I've already spoken to five new players that sent me messages in game.

Good luck people and Happy hunting.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I tried Ryzom but couldn't get into it because of the races. They all failed to click with me. They are just too weird. Besides that, I didn't like the control scheme.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I always thought Ryzom looked like a good sandbox game. Unfortunately I was turned off before even trying it due to the visual style and character races. That is really the only reason I never tried it out. The game's features look great.

Originally posted by Frostbite05

no idea what the OP is talking about this is one of the very few games that people on this site support in a positive manner.

"When I thought I was out, They bring me back in!!!!"

Your right people do speak highly of Ryzom but many people that refer other players to it dont play it themselves so I wanted to know why.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Unlike some I have to say that I love the art design in Ryzom. Love it.

What I didn't like was that, again, the UI was clunky, hated looking at what I had on my character and trying to discern what item I was actually trying to find.

I hated the combat. Not only did it feel a bit slow and somewhat detached but also I hated how the camera whizzed around to the back of your character.

I got to the main land but didn't really know what type of gear I needed or what I should be shooting for. I started happily grinding but again, the combat was just frustrating to me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

i remember playing ryzom loong ago when it was brand new and i just found it boring.it has on paper all the right elements but i got bored pretty fast.might have improved since of course.

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by CactusmanX

I don't mind constructed criticism but you just blasted damn near every aspect of ryzom.

While I strongly believe your a troll/flamer Im gonna let myself get baited because you clearly have no clue what your talking about and I feel you may sway people away with mis-information.

You asked for an opinion and I gave it, my information isn't wrong it is my opinion.

I tried Ryzom several times and each time I came to the same conclusion.
    Combat - It is slow and dull, I don't like how it operates on a preset timer, there are no instant cast abilities and no ability to move while attacking, without interrupting yourself, all and all I just find the combat system boring and I don't feel in control of my character.
    The style of combat is similar to older games like Guild wars. It has auto facing, spell queue and follow. You can have both fast cast and insta cast through the crystalization system. This system lets you turn spells into crystals and load them into weapons for fast casts roots, fears, and direct damage spells.
    Sure you have crystals but that is for spells and spell and other abilities normally do not have any instant cast effects and that hardly makes up for the combat's general pacing, overall it is slow and I didn't like it.
    Gathering - It is tedious, I know having all the different options for gathering abilities are supose to make it more exciting but I feel that gathering just isn't fun period and adding more gathering mechanics just feels like adding more work.  The amount of time investment needed to gather good materials is just too much considering how droll the actiity is.
    The gathering mechanic is incredibly flexible and the only gathering system in this entire genre that can be done as a team for shared skill Xp. The system is so unique that i've wondered why no other mmo has tried to copy it. I can set my prospecting skills to look for certain item resources. it can be entirely tailor made to the player. Oh and lets not forget how the game world works. No resource ever spawns in the same spot, through the season system Every zone is a unique experience every time you gather in it. If thats not cool to you you simply do not enjoy gathering in this genre period!
    So how did I mislead people I just said it was boring and felt like work, I would say the same thing about balancing a budget, you apparently like it though so kudos.
    Crafting - In practice it isn't as deep as it sounds.  While you could gather all the right types of materials to make the items you want, in reality you are just going to cobble stuff together because you need to level crafting and getting the proper materials is either expensive or boring, see gathering.  Not like it matters there isn't that much variation in armor styles anyway.  So to me it just feels like a grind, like gathering it isn't fun enough to warrant the time investment.
    Every race has three armor variations (light,medium,heavy) those armor sets have three qualities that change the look of each set. Armor can be crafted with different attributes and bonuses. It could be colored and considering you could wear any racial armor you can mix and match several sets and make a unique looking set. Lets not forget the Npc armor shall we? Rare patterns off hardcore pve encounters. You simply do not have the experience in game to even form an opinion on the crafting system if you think the armor is limited.
    Yes I do, apparently you consider that a lot of variation, I don't.  I don't know what else to say, I didn't like crafting and thought armor was limited
    Nothing to Do - I know Ryzom wants to focus on a "sandbox" but nothing ever happens you just grind by yourself or grind with other people.  The PvP lacks a point and the PvE is just kind of ho-hum.  Ironically for all the ecological details they put in, the gameworld feels very dead.
    Now your trolling, You can hunt, arena pvp, OP pvp, Faction pvp, craft, gather, rp, run events, play with the ring, Run fame missions for tribes, faction or races. You can complete Rite missions. Explore, group up for kitin lairs and bosses. There are many activities in this game other than grinding skills.
    Listing different kinds of PvP and PvE doesn't mean I didn't find them lacking and you did ask for my opinion, if you want me to clarify I will change it to nothing of interest to do.
    Skills - Like Crafting you do not have as many options as it seems.  If you think you are going into Ryzom and make a character that has a hammer, gun and healing to make some cool sci-fi paladin you will be mistaken.  You basically have to stick to one category to be of any use, the categories being melee, ranged, and magic.  While everybody has some bleedover the skill selection is really small and combined with the restrictions on gear and you have a hard time making a unique character.  Ryzom basically has 3 classes.
    wanna do everything wear the right armor. Put on medium armor, through the stanza system you can set heals to take from HP instead of sap, You can skill up Melee swords, Auras, Skill up casting and defensive casting. There ya go a Paladin lol.  You need to think outside the box more. Im currently working on a Monk type player with a few friends its going to take a while but hes so much fun.  To say the game has three classes mean you didnt last long in the game. level further and you will see how the trees split.
    But you end up just sticking generic skills together and calling it a paladin, there is no paladin like abilities in the game that was what I was looking for and running around with armor and casting spells would really gimp my character.  There is a difference between being able to skill something up and it being a viable build in the game.
    Stanza System - This is an interesting system, but by its nature it isn't very balanced.  What got to me was the disconnect between the abilities I was using and the animations of my character, it is like they have nothing to do with each other, but that is the byproduct of the stanza system
    Of course you think this you probably played for a day or so.  Ever try dual casting? Adding Aoe effects on spells? Adding bleeds to aoe melee attacks? These abilities have nothing to do with each other? Really?
    No I played much longer than that, Sure you can add all kinds of things, but your character is going to display the same generic casting animations no matter what , that is what I am talking about.
    Animations - I don't like the animations much at all, flipping and slashing monsters spinning in the air to cast a spell, I don't like how overly exagerated they are, I see nothing cool about it.
    WoW look the only thing in your entire post that inst blatantly trying to sway new players from Ryzom. Yes you are correct the game has a really awkward style a more cartoony type game.
    I said animations not art style.

I'm sorry for this post people but I really needed to set this guy straight. I would like people to try the game or revisit it but if I let anyone believe this guy i might as well not  even of posted this thread to help the game.

Well then maybe you should not ask for people's opinions, you asked why don't we like Ryzom and I told you why I don't, it may seem scathing but it isn't false information.  What is deep and awesome to you is shallow and limited to me.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

Cactusmanx, Im not going to go back and forth with you. Opinions can be wrong if you make comments on direct game mechanics. Like what you said about the stanza system.

I would have just left you alone but you were so far off in your "opinions" I was worried others might be turned off by your post.

Lets just say you don't enjoy the game and let me move on to more productive matters. I cant be bothered with you any longer.

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438
    Originally posted by sekrog

First let me say this...I'm a huge fan of Ryzom and am a current subscriber.  Also, I appreciate a thread like this as I have admit the OP's initial query has crossed my mind on numerous occasions.
    In addition, while I can appreciate the OP's desire to have specific descriptions and explanations for why sandbox MMO'ers haven't flocked to Ryzom, I don't think rebutting every reply is the way to get across what a fun game this is.
    Here's the long and short of why Ryzom hasn't been a commercial success...compliments of my humble opinion:
    1.  No Elves, Orks, Dragons, Spaceships, or radiation.  In summary, the lore and storyline of Ryzom is SO different that it's actually off-putting to many gamers.
    2.  Lack of any marketing.  When was the last time you say anything, even a simple web banner, attracting players to try the 21-day trial?
    3.  Gamers, like any cross-section of the world's population, want their decisions to be validated.  Was Avatar the best movie ever made?  Is WoW the best MMO ever made?  Is American Idol the best television program of the past decade in the United States?  (blog.newsok.com/television/2010/01/12/decades-top-125-most-watched-tv-shows-2000-2009/
    Now, I'm not trying to imply that Ryzom is the best MMORPG.  Instead what I'm trying to say, is that people, on the whole, like to have the feeling that the activity they are participating is one in which the majority enjoys too.
    4.  Where are the quests?  I need my quests!!  What's this skill-based thing?  I wanna be a MAGE DAMNIT!!  And why can't I bunny-hop?  Where's my loot?!  WHERE IS THE AUCTION HOUSE?!?!?!?!?!
    5.  The average MMO gamer has less time than they used to to spend on one specific game.  Nevermind the fact that over the past 7 years since Ryzom's release, the number of MMO's has increased from roughly 10 to 250.  Add to that the increasing popularity of console games, and the sheer diversity of options is bound to have an effect on most MMO's.
    So, although I admire your efforts, Rockgod99, I do question your methods in this thread.  If you really want to help promote this great game that we both enjoy, I suggest showing, describing, encouraging, and enlightening.  Bashing those that have responses that don't fit your precise criteria will do very little to encourage any gamer to come to Atys.
    And it's too bad...because it's such a fun place to hang out!

I think based on this post I will try out Ryzom.  Not because it seems like the biggest, baddest, bestest title to ever grace humanity, but because players themselves seem to like the game.  On many of the games Ive played theres nothing but players bitching about their current game.  They play it, but they hate it.  Ryzom seems to be the other way around.

My only concern so far is time.  Honestly, I have quite a few games on my plate.  Im a full time player of Entropia Universe, a part time player of DDO, and I still keep in touch with my guild --- the majority of whom play Jade Dynasty and World of Kungfu. 

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405

I've played it off and on since beta.

I would have to say I don't play it anymore because of the community.

Now I know those who play it will disagree because they have a few friends(guildies) who they like but overall in a game with such a low playerbase and the vocal minority being the same few faces(on boards and in game) and those said few people who complain constantly bashing players(new and old) just gets old.(those asking for advice/groups and not spamming chat)

It's a group based game, so progression is faster and more enjoyable that way. Not to mention if you want to go from region to region you NEED higher level players to "trek" you and this goes back to grouping and if your in the wrong region...sorry no group for you.

And don't ask more than once for a group in a 24 period, those vocal "minority" will be all over you for spamming(no I'm not kidding).

Just for the record I am and have always been in a guild but most people who play Ryzom are Euro players so I had to always look for my groups through Region chat and sometimes Univeral(as I am asking a question).

For me it just got old...

- Log in, craft/dig and do a few other things(grind rep if I needed wanted)...

- Ask for group in chat...no response...

- Go BACK to crafting/digging/Rep grinding and hours later see more activity in game and in chat...

- Ask,hours later, if any groups are running that might have room (I could fill all roles at some level except for heal as it is maxed and even offering to stand back and heal "out of group") and get spammed bashed for "asking again"

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

for masses its like Wizardy 8,too weird and too good.

Generation P

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

I remember taking a look at the Ryzom site a couple times but never getting so far as to actualy try the game. Basicaly, though the game has alot of the features I like....the Lore was a huge turn-off. Don't get me wrong, I love detailed Lore and back-story in a game.... but Ryzom's particular Lore just had me pretty much saying "bleh...no desire to be a part of that."

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

At the time I played Ryzom I was trying out as many MMO's as I could so really was just a passing visitor. Now the thing is that it was one that has stuck in my mind as I liked the passive and predator mobs being mixed which gave a sense of danger, migrating mobs, the science fantasy theme was appealing as was the fact that there was housing, persistent world, npc shops that resold what you sold them, the stanza system was interesting but I did not investigate long enough to understand properly and best of all which is amazing that its not in ever other MMO based in a ground world, changing SEASONS and ofcourse the dynamic skill system. My reasons for not sticking around was that with the fact that I was on a quest to see what the MMO world had to offer was the lack of population on the mainland as I seemed to be playing on my own all the time but that could have been my fault.

Now I think like every sandbox I've played Ryzom, UO, EVE, Fallen Earth, Oblivion, Wurm and presently Face Of Mankind they take time to fully reveal their depth of gameplay and that puts off the "first impression is everything" crowd as you need a certain level of skill/understanding/expertise to get to a point where the game opens up and you feel like you are part of something bigger than just a monotinous grind. Take EVE's newbie channel, I had to switch it off as it was irritating how many people were screaming what is this game about, what do I do, where are the quests, how does this work without even just trying things out, click on things, read tutorials, really just play around with things until you get comfortable. Thus you get the EVE is a boring spreadsheet mining grind with nothing to do. Maybe its me but I like to work things out myself especially the basics like UI and interaction with the world around me and don't mind a bit of repetitiveness at the start as it gives me time to examine what the game has to offer. Once, and this was after my second go at EVE, it clicks and you realise what a liberating feeling its is to be able to be creative and choose you own path in a game you will always see the early part of sanbox games as a tedious grind. How they overcome this I do not know but it seems to be a consistent feel among all sanbox games.

Well thats just my fairly inexperienced (only been an MMO gamer since 2007) view on things because Ryzom is not the only sandbox game to be in the same situation and as you have said about the people on this site there are games that seem to offer what many express they want but somehow choose to ignore with the declaration that there are no sandbox games out there. 

Thanks for this thread I shall give it another go soon to see how it is now as I played it last about a year ago.

Cal..

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by dar_es_balat

Originally posted by sekrog

First let me say this...I'm a huge fan of Ryzom and am a current subscriber.  Also, I appreciate a thread like this as I have admit the OP's initial query has crossed my mind on numerous occasions.
    In addition, while I can appreciate the OP's desire to have specific descriptions and explanations for why sandbox MMO'ers haven't flocked to Ryzom, I don't think rebutting every reply is the way to get across what a fun game this is.
    Here's the long and short of why Ryzom hasn't been a commercial success...compliments of my humble opinion:
    1.  No Elves, Orks, Dragons, Spaceships, or radiation.  In summary, the lore and storyline of Ryzom is SO different that it's actually off-putting to many gamers.
    2.  Lack of any marketing.  When was the last time you say anything, even a simple web banner, attracting players to try the 21-day trial?
    3.  Gamers, like any cross-section of the world's population, want their decisions to be validated.  Was Avatar the best movie ever made?  Is WoW the best MMO ever made?  Is American Idol the best television program of the past decade in the United States?  (blog.newsok.com/television/2010/01/12/decades-top-125-most-watched-tv-shows-2000-2009/
    Now, I'm not trying to imply that Ryzom is the best MMORPG.  Instead what I'm trying to say, is that people, on the whole, like to have the feeling that the activity they are participating is one in which the majority enjoys too.
    4.  Where are the quests?  I need my quests!!  What's this skill-based thing?  I wanna be a MAGE DAMNIT!!  And why can't I bunny-hop?  Where's my loot?!  WHERE IS THE AUCTION HOUSE?!?!?!?!?!
    5.  The average MMO gamer has less time than they used to to spend on one specific game.  Nevermind the fact that over the past 7 years since Ryzom's release, the number of MMO's has increased from roughly 10 to 250.  Add to that the increasing popularity of console games, and the sheer diversity of options is bound to have an effect on most MMO's.
    So, although I admire your efforts, Rockgod99, I do question your methods in this thread.  If you really want to help promote this great game that we both enjoy, I suggest showing, describing, encouraging, and enlightening.  Bashing those that have responses that don't fit your precise criteria will do very little to encourage any gamer to come to Atys.
    And it's too bad...because it's such a fun place to hang out!

I think based on this post I will try out Ryzom.  Not because it seems like the biggest, baddest, bestest title to ever grace humanity, but because players themselves seem to like the game.  On many of the games Ive played theres nothing but players bitching about their current game.  They play it, but they hate it.  Ryzom seems to be the other way around.

My only concern so far is time.  Honestly, I have quite a few games on my plate.  Im a full time player of Entropia Universe, a part time player of DDO, and I still keep in touch with my guild --- the majority of whom play Jade Dynasty and World of Kungfu. 

I'm honestly flattered dar_es_balat, and I certainly hope you don't come away disappointed that you tried it!

I just posted a concept idea for new players on the LFG sub-forum here on MMORPG.com...it might be something that interests you, it might not.

Either way, welcome!

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Couldn't get the game to work myself when I tried downloading it some time ago.  Went over the troubleshoot tips for it and still wasn't able to get it working. Too many other mmos out there for me to bother with one that I was having issues trying to get to work so that was why I gave up on the game.

Shame really because due to what some had to say about it I was interested in trying the game out.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Couldn't get the game to work myself when I tried downloading it some time ago.  Went over the troubleshoot tips for it and still wasn't able to get it working. Too many other mmos out there for me to bother with one that I was having issues trying to get to work so that was why I gave up on the game.
    Shame really because due to what some had to say about it I was interested in trying the game out.

Me too the first time around...lots of patches and updates over the past year though from the new developer and now I'm in with no problem.  Just make sure to download the game from the Ryzom website...many of the others out there are still out of date.

• RealmLordsRealmLords Member Posts: 358

I just love threads that ask your opinion and then argue with you about it.  Reminds me too much of that six months of solid DarkFall viral advertising.

Ken

www.ActionMMORPG.com
    One man, a small pile of money, and the screwball idea of a DIY Indie MMORPG? Yep, that's him. ~sigh~

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

I tried it in open beta, and I enjoyed myself.

So much in fact I downloaded the trial for my wife. The install screwed up, and locked up her PC.

I had to yank the power, and when her PC come back up it was hit....had to recover it, besides the problem it developed with windows updates.

It took me a good half/full day to get things right again.

This was during the period when others were having problems as well with game...yet they shipped as is. The forums were ablaze with folks upset.

I havent bothered to try again. That spell in the dog house was enough for me, and I dont play MMOs for long if wife doesnt play as well.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.