Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To the general mmorpg.com community. Why do you dislike Saga of Ryzom?

Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I've been reading post after post of people wanting a less forced pvp sandbox and all a long I've been playing one.

I've tried to spread the word yet only about 5-10k people populate its three servers.

ON paper it seems to be what people want. The game has a skill system, totally customizable spell system, deep gathering/crafting system.  A mature and friendly community, A Game world that feels alive due to amazing weather/season and AI mechanics, a More group focused experience.

So what about Ryzom don't you guys like that you aren't playing it?

The game has a 21 day trial, a lower 10 dollar a month sub fee. Seems to be a dream mmo to many of you that disliked Darkfall, Eve and the upcoming MO.

Honestly it just seems like a shame that such a strong oldschool sandbox community havent embraced this game.

So why dont you guys like it? Try to be specific and not just tell me "This and this suck!!!!!" Doesn't help at all.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
Waiting on: GW2, BP

Comments

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Only because its sandbox doesn't mean it is automatically something we should like (i mean those who want sandbox). It has to be fun too. I tried Ryzom not once but atleast 5 times over the years and every time i arrive to same conclusion. its not fun and very repetitive and boring. That is my opinion of course.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by Shastra

Only because its sandbox doesn't mean it is automatically something we should like (i mean those who want sandbox). It has to be fun too. I tried Ryzom not once but atleast 5 times over the years and every time i arrive to same conclusion. its not fun and very repetitive and boring. That is my opinion of course.

I didn't mean we should all play it because its a sandbox. Ryzom is like a throw back to old school mmos. If you play this game solo its a pretty hardcore grind.

I felt the way you did until i hooked up with my current guild.

many people on this forum talk about the old days, when going out on hunts were fun, teaming up and taking down world bosses were king and crafting something useful was the main focus.

Ryzom offers this. It's also one of those games that are only as fun as you make it. If you spend your time solo grinding mobs 24/7 yes its repetitive. But some oldschoolers still enjoy that gameplay and find it relaxing.

To each his own.

Addition: Would you mind explaining why it was repetitive? Maybe if  i get some good feed back here I could hit up the suggestion forums. MY goal is to get more people playing.  You whole "Its repetitive and not fun" doesn't really help, I have no idea how you went about playing the game.

• lowendahllowendahl Member Posts: 102

My main reason for disliking it was the really poor UI. And the intro tutorial was quite bad as well.

Sandbox alone is not good enough reason to play a game. There has to be good gameplay too, and I saw none of that during my brief trial.

• knighthonorknighthonor Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by lowendahl

My main reason for disliking it was the really poor UI. And the intro tutorial was quite bad as well.

Sandbox alone is not good enough reason to play a game. There has to be good gameplay too, and I saw none of that during my brief trial.

Damn the mmorpg community never seems happy about anything

Haha! Getting specific information out of this community is like getting blood from a stone.

What didn't you like about the UI? Last time I checked every piece can be moved around and resized.

Explain the bad gameplay in the game. Did you dislike the spell system? lack of jumping? Auto facing? what? have you played since the starter tutorial revamp?

Originally posted by knighthonor

Damn the mmorpg community never seems happy about anything

It's their choice not to play a game I just wish they would be more specific. Having people tell me the game play is bad or the UI sucks doesn't help me at all.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well, I gave it a short go and the reason I avoided it was....

1) Awkward UI and Tutorial left a lot to be desired

2)  No one around, this was back when it was still free and I saw maybe 5 people. 

3) I never made it off the starter island, so I never saw the actual game world or interacted with the player base.

4) While I'm not a graphic whore, they did seem to be a bit dated.

5)  I prefer non consensual PVP as found in EVE, and Ryzom doesn't offer it.

6)  Lacking proper information sources, I somehow got the impression the early game in Ryzom to make money was about mining nodes or something and there was considerable risk in even doing mining (nodes could blow up?). That didn't sound very entertaining, I hate random deaths totally beyond my control.

7) I want assurances that the development team is committed to improving the game play experience and at the time I saw no evidence of a plan to do so.  (not sure I see one now)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Well, I gave it a short go and the reason I avoided it was....
    1) Awkward UI and Tutorial left a lot to be desired
    2)  No one around, this was back when it was still free and I saw maybe 5 people. 
    3) I never made it off the starter island, so I never saw the actual game world or interacted with the player base.
    4) While I'm not a graphic whore, they did seem to be a bit dated.
    5)  I prefer non consensual PVP as found in EVE, and Ryzom doesn't offer it.
    6)  Lacking proper information sources, I somehow got the impression the early game in Ryzom to make money was about mining nodes or something and there was considerable risk in even doing mining (nodes could blow up?). That didn't sound very entertaining, I hate random deaths totally beyond my control.
    7) I want assurances that the development team is committed to improving the game play experience and at the time I saw no evidence of a plan to do so.  (not sure I see one now)

Kyleran I would like to thank you for contributing to my thread, you never disappoint.

With that said I understand your gripes, Saga of Ryzom isn't really targetted for the ffa pvp crowd. Which is a good thing since we have other kick ass games like that.

I am happy to say that the games graphics have been bumped up, Tutorial has been improved, more people are willing to team up and guild new players.

Your random deaths concern is understandable but if you spent more time with gathering you would see that mechanics are in place to stop a node from doing that. its called careplanning.  You can run missions,sell animal parts and crafted good for dapper (money) early on no need to dig.

I think if you tried it again and got off the tutorial island you would be pleasantly surprised. If you do let me know im in an alliance with the biggest guild on the server. I can show you around a bit.

• DSBHRDSBHR Member UncommonPosts: 75

I don't know for sure.

I participated in the Beta of the game and put a few hours in on it.  Main thing I remember was the crafting part was hard to get going or understand.

Then also when I tried to leave the first/starter area the mobs just outside it were to hard to kill.  I got the best items I reasonably could, then just got one shot.  Never could get going in the thing  Finally just uninstalled and said good riddance.

Granted that has been some years ago and things would have changed by now.  I think Ryzom even got shut down and restarted again? 

• knighthonorknighthonor Member Posts: 96

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/36/view/screens/display/5659

this game?

If so, whats the features hyped the most?

Originally posted by knighthonor

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/36/view/screens/display/5659
    this game?
    If so, whats the features hyped the most?

The stanza system, It lets you fully customize spells and abilities. Take a simple missile spell and toss a AoE effect on it, add a Dot, reduce range and increase power, change the spell fundamentally to use Health instead of Sap(Mana). No two players have the same spell.

Open non instanced Game world, Challenging mobs with AI that is unchallenged by todays AAA mmo standards, Roaming mini and raid bosses, uninstanced lairs with thousands of enemies, Dev run events that have the player change the lore forever.

Out post wars, Guild vs guild pvp, Arena pvp, FFA pvp zones, Faction pvp.

The Ryzom Ring, Give players the power to create scenarios, entire quest hubs and Rp events.

I can go on dude. On paper this game is pretty wild this is why i want feed back from you guys maybe Some of the complaints could be brought to the attention of the devs.

Any of you graphic guys/gals worried about ryzom looking too dated.

Check this fan submitted photo out  Link

If that isn't impressive for a 5+ year old game I dont know what is.

Addition: looking through the other photos have me wishing I had a better PC. On my old system Ryzom is comparable to SWG and DAoC in graphics. Those pics make the game looks freaking crazy. Easily comparable to EQ2, War and a few newer games.

• sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261

First let me say this...I'm a huge fan of Ryzom and am a current subscriber.  Also, I appreciate a thread like this as I have admit the OP's initial query has crossed my mind on numerous occasions.

In addition, while I can appreciate the OP's desire to have specific descriptions and explanations for why sandbox MMO'ers haven't flocked to Ryzom, I don't think rebutting every reply is the way to get across what a fun game this is.

Here's the long and short of why Ryzom hasn't been a commercial success...compliments of my humble opinion:

1.  No Elves, Orks, Dragons, Spaceships, or radiation.  In summary, the lore and storyline of Ryzom is SO different that it's actually off-putting to many gamers.

2.  Lack of any marketing.  When was the last time you say anything, even a simple web banner, attracting players to try the 21-day trial?

3.  Gamers, like any cross-section of the world's population, want their decisions to be validated.  Was Avatar the best movie ever made?  Is WoW the best MMO ever made?  Is American Idol the best television program of the past decade in the United States?  (blog.newsok.com/television/2010/01/12/decades-top-125-most-watched-tv-shows-2000-2009/

Now, I'm not trying to imply that Ryzom is the best MMORPG.  Instead what I'm trying to say, is that people, on the whole, like to have the feeling that the activity they are participating is one in which the majority enjoys too.

4.  Where are the quests?  I need my quests!!  What's this skill-based thing?  I wanna be a MAGE DAMNIT!!  And why can't I bunny-hop?  Where's my loot?!  WHERE IS THE AUCTION HOUSE?!?!?!?!?!

5.  The average MMO gamer has less time than they used to to spend on one specific game.  Nevermind the fact that over the past 7 years since Ryzom's release, the number of MMO's has increased from roughly 10 to 250.  Add to that the increasing popularity of console games, and the sheer diversity of options is bound to have an effect on most MMO's.

So, although I admire your efforts, Rockgod99, I do question your methods in this thread.  If you really want to help promote this great game that we both enjoy, I suggest showing, describing, encouraging, and enlightening.  Bashing those that have responses that don't fit your precise criteria will do very little to encourage any gamer to come to Atys.

And it's too bad...because it's such a fun place to hang out!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I've always felt the game was well put together, except my first pre-release experience long ago. It was really bad then..

After that the game really did improve, it has a very dynamic world and AI system. The skill system was the normal fare you should expect in a good skill based sandbox. The harvesting was done well, most things within the game are.

From a game play stand point I have few gripes about the game to be honest. The only reason I have never been able to stick with the game is the theme. I have just never been able to attach myself to my character in Ryzom. Which is the most important thing to me about any MMO. Whether I feel a connection to the theme (lore) and artwork of the game-world greatly effects whether I stick with a game or not. Sadly with ryzom I have just never been able to.

Take everything from the game/gameplay, and create something with an appeal to me in an aesthetic sense, I'd definitely stick around.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

So what about Ryzom don't you guys like that you aren't playing it?

I just don't like how I can't be a space ship. I mean, great, a humanoid avatar and all that, but I just can't relate to it. If they added the ability to be a spaceship, this game would really take off!

..err I mean, I played the game for a bit. It was free at the time and I think it had just been brought back from the dead so not sure what has changed since then. For me it was a fun little time waster, but I never really felt connected, to the game and community, like I had in SWG or EvE. Maybe the short answer is that I just didn't find it compelling enough to pay for it at the time.

Edit: Just to add, one thing I found really cool was the implementation of seasons and migration of animals and such. It did make the world feel more dynamic then most MMOs out there.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

I don't mean to reply to every post. I just get excited when it comes to Ryzom.

I apologize... My intentions were only to collect some data for my next post on the suggestion forums.

Ryzom really is a great game I don't mean to come off like i want to butt heads with everyone for that once again I apologize.

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

From the trial or open beta WAY, WAY back.

1.Terrible animation 

2. Lousy UI 

3. Boring, simplistic combat

4. Little to no IN-GAME explanation as to what the point of the game even was.  You just exist?  Hehe...OK sure.

5.  Races just didn't click with me.  Not exciting or interesting.

6.  I recall nasty lag as well.

If you can't get the basics right, what the hell is the point?  I don't pay a monthly fee to "hang out" in a virtual world.  I pay to play a fun videogame.  Hanging out and chatting with avatars became boring 10 years ago.  You need something FUN to do.  Ryzome was NOT fun.   I'm not alone in this opinion.  Most people find it a dreadful bore.  Maybe it is better now.  I'm sure it is.  But I don't care.   If the first 30 mins arent fun the next 30 hours aren't going to be fun either, not to mention 30 days, ect.  First impressions are EVERYTHING.  You don't get a second chance.

• sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

I don't mean to reply to every post. I just get excited when it comes to Ryzom.
    I apologize... My intentions were only to collect some data for my next post on the suggestion forums.
    Ryzom really is a great game I don't mean to come off like i want to butt heads with everyone for that once again I apologize.

No need for apologies Rockgod99!  I share your enthusiasm for Ryzom, and some of the frustration that there's not more players.  Still, I think at this point of its lifespan, the developers at Winch Gate have very limited resources to make any dramatic changes to the game.  Not that suggestions aren't valuable, I just question whether they have the resources to implement most of them.

That doesn't mean we can't continue to do our part in making gamers aware that the game exists.  I have to admit that I didn't know a thing about the game until early February when I stumbled across the 21-day trial.  What a game-changer! (pardon the pun).  In fact, now that we've chartered a small guild of new players, the game has even become more enjoyable.

So I'll leave with this.  Ryzom is a lot of fun.  Sure it has its issues...all games do.  But if you're looking for something "outside of the box" but inside a "sandbox", why not run around Atys for 21 days for free and see if you like it?

Originally posted by Josher 

First impressions are EVERYTHING.  You don't get a second chance.

Josher I am extremely glad not everyone shares your opinion. If they did not many games would have made it passed their first 30 days (not even WoW).

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

I gave Ryzom a second chance, and for reasons I cant really fathom, this time it stuck. I have no idea why I didnt like it the first time around, it was almost one year ago. But I've yet to find something in this game that I dont like.

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• VypreVypre Member Posts: 180

I wanted to like Ryzom but found it to feel dated, the game-play, mechanics, graphics sound, overall atmosphere, quests, and lack of population.  I would be one of the first to play it if it were remade with improvements to all those areas while maintaining it's sandboxy design, improved upon the player-centric nature of the game with breadth and depth of features.

Striving for Silver Stars since Gold is so effeminate.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

I couldn't jump.

The quests in the starting zone seemed simple like they didn't put a lot of work into them.

There were aspects of the game I liked.  It seemed like it would be a lot of work to learn the system.

Maybe I should've given it more time.  Now that it's pay to play, I don't think I will spend the money though.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

I tried Ryzom several times and each time I came to the same conclusion.

Combat - It is slow and dull, I don't like how it operates on a preset timer, there are no instant cast abilities and no ability to move while attacking, without interrupting yourself, all and all I just find the combat system boring and I don't feel in control of my character.

Gathering - It is tedious, I know having all the different options for gathering abilities are supose to make it more exciting but I feel that gathering just isn't fun period and adding more gathering mechanics just feels like adding more work.  The ammount of time investment needed to gather good materials is just too much considering how droll the actiity is.

Crafting - In practice it isn't as deep as it sounds.  While you could gather all the right types of materials to make the items you want, in reality you are just going to cobble stuff together because you need to level crafting and getting the proper materials is either expensive or boring, see gathering.  Not like it matters there isn't that much variation in armor styles anyway.  So to me it just feels like a grind, like gathering it isn't fun enough to warrant the time investment.

Nothing to Do - I know Ryzom wants to focus on a "sandbox" but nothing ever happens you just grind by yourself or grind with other people.  The PvP lacks a point and the PvE is just kind of ho-hum.  Ironically for all the ecological details they put in, the gameworld feels very dead.

Skills - Like Crafting you do not have as many options as it seems.  If you think you are going into Ryzom and make a character that has a hammer, gun and healing to make some cool sci-fi paladin you will be mistaken.  You basically have to stick to one category to be of any use, the categories being melee, ranged, and magic.  While everybody has some bleedover the skill selection is really small and combined with the restrictions on gear and you have a hard time making a unique character.  Ryzom basically has 3 classes.

Stanza System - This is an interesting system, but by its nature it isn't very balanced.  What got to me was the disconnect between the abilities I was using and the animations of my character, it is like they have nothing to do with each other, but that is the byproduct of the stanza system

Animations - I don't like the animations much at all, flipping and slashing monsters spinning in the air to cast a spell, I don't like how overly exagerated they are, I see nothing cool about it.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

Originally posted by CactusmanX

I don't mind constructed criticism but you just blasted damn near every aspect of ryzom.

While I strongly believe your a troll/flamer Im gonna let myself get baited because you clearly have no clue what your talking about and I feel you may sway people away with mis-information.

I tried Ryzom several times and each time I came to the same conclusion.

Combat - It is slow and dull, I don't like how it operates on a preset timer, there are no instant cast abilities and no ability to move while attacking, without interrupting yourself, all and all I just find the combat system boring and I don't feel in control of my character.

The style of combat is similar to older games like Guild wars. It has auto facing, spell queue and follow. You can have both fast cast and insta cast through the crystalization system. This system lets you turn spells into crystals and load them into weapons for fast casts roots, fears, and direct damage spells.

Gathering - It is tedious, I know having all the different options for gathering abilities are supose to make it more exciting but I feel that gathering just isn't fun period and adding more gathering mechanics just feels like adding more work.  The amount of time investment needed to gather good materials is just too much considering how droll the actiity is.

The gathering mechanic is incredibly flexible and the only gathering system in this entire genre that can be done as a team for shared skill Xp. The system is so unique that i've wondered why no other mmo has tried to copy it. I can set my prospecting skills to look for certain item resources. it can be entirely tailor made to the player. Oh and lets not forget how the game world works. No resource ever spawns in the same spot, through the season system Every zone is a unique experience every time you gather in it. If thats not cool to you you simply do not enjoy gathering in this genre period!

Crafting - In practice it isn't as deep as it sounds.  While you could gather all the right types of materials to make the items you want, in reality you are just going to cobble stuff together because you need to level crafting and getting the proper materials is either expensive or boring, see gathering.  Not like it matters there isn't that much variation in armor styles anyway.  So to me it just feels like a grind, like gathering it isn't fun enough to warrant the time investment.

Every race has three armor variations (light,medium,heavy) those armor sets have three qualities that change the look of each set. Armor can be crafted with different attributes and bonuses. It could be colored and considering you could wear any racial armor you can mix and match several sets and make a unique looking set. Lets not forget the Npc armor shall we? Rare patterns off hardcore pve encounters. You simply do not have the experience in game to even form an opinion on the crafting system if you think the armor is limited.

Nothing to Do - I know Ryzom wants to focus on a "sandbox" but nothing ever happens you just grind by yourself or grind with other people.  The PvP lacks a point and the PvE is just kind of ho-hum.  Ironically for all the ecological details they put in, the gameworld feels very dead.

Now your trolling, You can hunt, arena pvp, OP pvp, Faction pvp, craft, gather, rp, run events, play with the ring, Run fame missions for tribes, faction or races. You can complete Rite missions. Explore, group up for kitin lairs and bosses. There are many activities in this game other than grinding skills.

Skills - Like Crafting you do not have as many options as it seems.  If you think you are going into Ryzom and make a character that has a hammer, gun and healing to make some cool sci-fi paladin you will be mistaken.  You basically have to stick to one category to be of any use, the categories being melee, ranged, and magic.  While everybody has some bleedover the skill selection is really small and combined with the restrictions on gear and you have a hard time making a unique character.  Ryzom basically has 3 classes.

wanna do everything wear the right armor. Put on medium armor, through the stanza system you can set heals to take from HP instead of sap, You can skill up Melee swords, Auras, Skill up casting and defensive casting. There ya go a Paladin lol.  You need to think outside the box more. Im currently working on a Monk type player with a few friends its going to take a while but hes so much fun.  To say the game has three classes mean you didnt last long in the game. level further and you will see how the trees split.

Stanza System - This is an interesting system, but by its nature it isn't very balanced.  What got to me was the disconnect between the abilities I was using and the animations of my character, it is like they have nothing to do with each other, but that is the byproduct of the stanza system

Of course you think this you probably played for a day or so.  Ever try dual casting? Adding Aoe effects on spells? Adding bleeds to aoe melee attacks? These abilities have nothing to do with each other? Really?

Animations - I don't like the animations much at all, flipping and slashing monsters spinning in the air to cast a spell, I don't like how overly exagerated they are, I see nothing cool about it.

WoW look the only thing in your entire post that inst blatantly trying to sway new players from Ryzom. Yes you are correct the game has a really awkward style a more cartoony type game.

I'm sorry for this post people but I really needed to set this guy straight. I would like people to try the game or revisit it but if I let anyone believe this guy i might as well not  even of posted this thread to help the game.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Is it one of those games where everyone is a tank-healer-mage?

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren