Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transitioning

It's a little known secret (at least to men) that women can not go directly from romantic relationship into another, there must be a be a middle man, someone on witch confidence is built, and waters are testing.

Generally the poor sad doesn't even know it's coming, he's generally someone she's only mildly attached to, so when the plan dumping takes place she doesn't have to feel guilty about it.

What does this have to do with MMORPG's?

People treat games (at least ones with a time investment equal to a romantic relationship) much the same way. After readying hundreds of user made reviews on EQ2, it seems it's biggest fault is: It's not EQ.

Just like a first love, when you start to play a MMO you experience new strong feelings you never knew you could. Your always looking to re-live that first time, but you've not naive anymore. While you want that feeling again... it will never be the same again, it can't be.

This is a hard position for gamers, they can see the faults in their current game, but they can't get that same feeling from another one.

It looks like this next generation of games will be the transition. People will stop playing there first love for a while to try a new game, release it won't give them the same thing the first game and go back.

But the problems still remain, they won't be fixed, they can't be. He still won't take out the trash, or pick up his underwear... and alas it will become clear no amount of faithfulness will correct the ills, they will leave... the confidence gained on the transition game will propel them, in the generation after the next.

-=-=-=-=-
Posting credentials on a message forum are for the pompous. A idea can be judged within the context of itself, the person that posts it is irrelevant.

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

Comments

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Your posts never cease to amuse me ::::20::

I think the best thing about the first MMOG i played, UO, was that you could go into the wild, and kil squirrels and birds and then skin them for money ::::35::. I remember the very first time i played UO, i saw a dog i nthe street so i started punching it, and it was killing me so i ran into a house and closed the door so the dog couldnt get in, and then the NPC house owned opened the door and i had to run away again. Eventually i ran into the moongate and teleported to Moonglow i think. ::::28::

• ZepeeZepee Member Posts: 947

1000000000000%%%%%%%%%%%  agree!

1st MMORPG I ever play- Runescape-> WOAWOAWOA, superdupa cool!(yeayea, "spam" me)(got me atached for 1 year+ once in a while+ 1 month in RS2)

every other MMORPG-> EQ(tested for 30days), RYL(this actualy got me for like 5 months or so),....-> heh, nice but not THAT im looking after

1st RPG I ever play- Diablo2-> WOAWOAWOA, what the freakin coolest stuff!!!(got me atached for like 1year!) 

2nd RPG(yea, I didnt play many RPGs, more MMO trials ;))- DungeonSiege-> finish the 1st game, cool thing but then no mood for repeating or doing harder or playing on-line. finish Legends of aranna, almost the same some new features, chars... same as before.(Like 2 weaks or so :S)

So I have something to add. 

The better your 1st game is the least ull like the next1... Sad but true :S

Played- Runescape, Conquer

Tested- EQ, RYL, Freeworld

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Played- Runescape, Conquer
    Tested- EQ, RYL, Freeworld

• DrakaeonDrakaeon Member Posts: 630

Originally posted by Clever_Glove
    Just like a first love, when you start to play a MMO you experience new strong feelings you never knew you could. Your always looking to re-live that first time, but you've not naive anymore. While you want that feeling again... it will never be the same again, it can't be.

Just like crack. The only reason people are addicted to it is because they continue to use it in hopes of recreating that "intense high" they had their first time. Obviously, they never can; however, they don't know that.