Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of Buying GA, Please Help with Advice

sanskritsanskrit Member UncommonPosts: 95

Am a veteran MMOer with very little time on my hands for gaming these days, pvp focus, loved TR (rip) and the gunzzzz in that game. Most enjoyed 4 man arena and alliance battles in GW as recent PvP experiences. Love scifi milieu as opposed to orcs and gnomes. Elves make me puke.

Expert at PvE and level capping toons fast for high end pvp, like shooter aspects in MMOs and could care less about huge PvE worlds or sandbox. Like to hop in and do some squad level PvP and then hop out after a couple of hours.

Should I get GA? Why or why not? Any general advice to get up to speed fast? Which is the least played class, medic or assault? Won't play robo as hate pets and such.

If not GA, what should I get? Like to play toons, not ships, so no Eve thanks.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• AbloecAbloec Member CommonPosts: 315

From what you have listed the game sounds like something you will like, the PvE is lacking but over all it sounds like you want to play PvP more than PvE. To say its an MMORPG is a straight out lie, the story ends at the end of the tutorial. The PvP can be fun but depending on how much you play you can hit cap in a week, and when I say cap that doesn't mean lvl it means when you get new skill points for your talents and new weapons/items. Armor doesn't do anything for you except change how you look.

The least played class would prolly be medic, Recons, Robos are the most played, and assault and medics are a toss up but I tend to see more assaults than medics. I will tell you this straight out if you expect more than a CS like game with a glorified hub your expecting to much. There is no world atm just a city and instances for PvE and PvP. Also there are some balance issues in the game, oh and if you pug a lot don't expect compitent players. The balance system in the game sucks. They say the balancing system is ment to keep you at 50% win ratio which im fine with but the games themselves tend to be one sided, either you lose or win and very occasionally you get an actual balanced game where your back in forth but most of the time its decided before the game begins.

Me personally have ceased playing and am now playing Bad Company 2.

Damnant quod non intellegunt
  • huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

I bought it after playing in beta for 2 months. Love the gameplay as it is very similar to TF2.

TF2 is free is after the initial purpose where in GA you need to pay subscription for the deeper PVP play. Basically it's a cross between TF2,  Modern Warfare 2 and Crimecraft.

Currently it's just a competetive shooter but tthere are better choices out there. Frankly I recommend Bad Company 2 or TF2.

if you insist on playing GA then either class is great. Medic is easier at start and Assault is easier later. Good luck and enjoy. See you in any and all as Hemmingjay.

• skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 357

This game seemed kind of cool I was thinking about trying it and maybe play it til earthrise came out but honestly I don't really see paying 50 bucks and a monthly sub for what seems like not much more than a lot of F2P shooters.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Bought it, play it once in a while, not very impressed with it.  Personally, I feel like I play it just because I bought it... just so I don't get buyer's remorse.

If your looking for a shooting type game, go with TF2 or BF: Bad Company 2 (BFBC2 is great fun!)

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Originally posted by skeptical

This game seemed kind of cool I was thinking about trying it and maybe play it til earthrise came out but honestly I don't really see paying 50 bucks and a monthly sub for what seems like not much more than a lot of F2P shooters.

You don't have to sub to play the majority of the game. All you're really missing out on is AvA, and that's pretty shitty right now as it is.

• VypreVypre Member Posts: 180
    Originally posted by sanskrit

Am a veteran MMOer with very little time on my hands for gaming these days, pvp focus, loved TR (rip) and the gunzzzz in that game. Most enjoyed 4 man arena and alliance battles in GW as recent PvP experiences. Love scifi milieu as opposed to orcs and gnomes. Elves make me puke.
    Expert at PvE and level capping toons fast for high end pvp, like shooter aspects in MMOs and could care less about huge PvE worlds or sandbox. Like to hop in and do some squad level PvP and then hop out after a couple of hours.
    Should I get GA? Why or why not? Any general advice to get up to speed fast? Which is the least played class, medic or assault? Won't play robo as hate pets and such.
    If not GA, what should I get? Like to play toons, not ships, so no Eve thanks.
    Thanks in advance for your advice.

I would highly recommend trialing Fallen Earth.  You like guns, and combat pvp, as well as rich mmo elements, its worth a look.  I considered GA as you are, and did some shopping around. 

The reason why I didnt jump[p at GA first after having done some reading, and asking of friends, is it's Team Fortress 2 third-person shooter-esque clone game-play, in which the only thing persistent is your character. 

They recommended Battlefield  Bad Company 2 if I wanted a progressive shooter, and GA would disappoint in that category. 

However, there is a trial of this post apocalyptic mmorpg with guns, guns and more guns, as well as PvP.  Go to GA if your more inclined to Team Fortress and paying an extra $15/month for the same static content.

that I would also If you see an Elf, kill it.

Striving for Silver Stars since Gold is so effeminate.

• fluffybunifluffybuni Member Posts: 29

If you like FPS/TPS games I think you'll enjoy this game and the retail price though a bit high is defintely worth it in my books, however due to the incomplete feel to the game you should probably sub when more content gets released as this game does have a lot of potential. If you are looking for a high content, progression based MMO thats a shooter than like the person above said you might want to look into say Fallen Earth; at the moment this game is more like an online shooter with a pretty lobby than an MMO.

Though, I am having a blast with this game :D

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

Not worth the price if  you ask me, wait for it to go down.

No I've not played the game, but I have done a ton of research on it.

This is basically what it is:

Team Fortress 2 and WoW combined... with a space theme.

So pretty much, you stand in Dome City(Orgrimmar) and que for PvP(Just like battleground Que WoW) and maybe for some PvE(Random Dungeon WoW).

That is ALL you do!

And maybe a bit of crafting.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein