Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

David Allen leaves Alganon

BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Or says Massively. Can't see any actual announcement on either the QOL or Alganon sites yet.

http://www.massively.com/2010/03/10/david-allen-leaves-alganon/

Replacing him? Derek Smart. Is it April 1st already?

Comments

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• QueinaiQueinai Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by Banquetto

Or says Massively. Can't see any actual announcement on either the QOL or Alganon sites yet.
    http://www.massively.com/2010/03/10/david-allen-leaves-alganon/
    Replacing him? Derek Smart. Is it April 1st already?

Derek. Derek Smart. I have a renewed interest in Alganon and for all the wrong reasons. One of the most unpopular gaming figures teamed up with one of the least popular mmos ...what could possibly go wrong?

• FlamingIceFlamingIce Member UncommonPosts: 120

Derek Smart? To players who are actually playing this game, you are going to be lucky if you actually get this guy to listen to what you guys have to say. Good luck Alganon, was hoping to see this game go somewhere but with this guy coming in, it's just like beating a dead horse.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Wikipedia has this to say about Derek Smart:   Derek Smart has become known in the gaming community for making aggressive and lengthy online replies to criticism of his work, leading to heated and protracted discussions on Usenet and game forums.[6] In an interview which was featured on the cover page of Computer Gaming World, Smart said of his online persona: "Sometimes when I get online, and it's quiet, and I see something that attracts my attention, I'll post just to piss these guys off. That's why I do it. Because I'm in a good mood that day, I go in there and I start trouble."[2] A case history about the troubles and problems Mr. Smart encountered during the development of his flagship game, BattleCruiser 3000AD, commented that "... almost everyone would agree that he is probably the best known, most divisive personality ever to participate in an online gaming community."[7]

Why would ANY company bring on a guy that ADMITS to trying to piss people off??? Yeah, that's smart business, and good customer service... RIP Alganon.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

What were they thinking... oh well, sometimes it's better to just not understand.

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

Derek Smart? Really? I've belonged to message boards that banned him for his shenanigans. Abrasive guy.

• DarzinDarzin Member Posts: 46

I wonder who David Allen will blame for this botched up game... I wonder if he can still pin some blame on Bowman... or maybe he will blame all the forum goers for telling people that his game suuuucked. I hope he mentions me as one of the people who brought this game to be a failure.

Almighty Dollar 1, MMORPG.com members 0!
    Blog

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Darzin

I wonder who David Allen will blame for this botched up game... I wonder if he can still pin some blame on Bowman... or maybe he will blame all the forum goers for telling people that his game suuuucked. I hope he mentions me as one of the people who brought this game to be a failure.

lol

• Never heard about the guy, but seems like a good move, will create some controversy and get them some attention. 

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039
    Originally posted by Darzin

Thats the first thing I thought when I read the news :P

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380

The HILARIOUS thing is I was thinking yesterday about that old post by David Allen (Written in third person)http://webz.us/hz/htm/wrh.htm  where he laments about how David Bowman and James Jones skrewed him and his game over.

I specifically wondered about the quote from that artice where he said the Board of Directors forced him to defend the "Family's System" in horisons and how none of them seemed to understand that they wern't just Guilds.

The hilarious thing is if the HORIZONS families were going to be anything like the ones in Alganon they are exactly the WORST kind of guild. The kind where anyone can join and no one has any control to kick or discpline out of line players. The kind that effectively just exist as a Chat Channel and a Taberd with no real goal or purpose of any kind.

I think Alganon has proved a point. David Allen may have designed some good games over a decade ago but that was his peak. David Bowman might be a total ass, he might have treated David Allen cruely and unfairly, but he had one thing dead on.

David Allen is completely incompetent when it comes to designing practical, working mmo's.

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Well glad Allen is gone but I am sure he will try and make another failed project. This new guy should make for some great popcorn moments though. The second Tork left I had a feeling things would start their downward spiral. 

You know this may be the end of David Allen as a game developer. With Horizons he had the whole Bowman thing to hide behind. With Alganon he has no such luck. He designed it, developed it, hyped it and defended it.

He claimed it was a next generation title and so many other things. Now he really has no fig leaf to hide behind.

I guess he could make a few weak claims about how trolls and haters kept people away from the game if he really wanted to. But honestly there is no real excuse this time.

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712
    Originally posted by Holgranth

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Well glad Allen is gone but I am sure he will try and make another failed project. This new guy should make for some great popcorn moments though. The second Tork left I had a feeling things would start their downward spiral. 

You know this may be the end of David Allen as a game developer. With Horizons he had the whole Bowman thing to hide behind. With Alganon he has no such luck. He designed it, developed it, hyped it and defended it.

He claimed it was a next generation title and so many other things. Now he really has no fig leaf to hide behind.

I guess he could make a few weak claims about how trolls and haters kept people away from the game if he really wanted to. But honestly there is no real excuse this time.

too true i want to say they made a damn near exact replica of wow only crappier even went so far as to say it was similar  and its really no suprise the game bottomed out as it did asking for full cash price for a game before its even in cbt  and asking for subs during beta really didnt help if anything it made it seem even more like a scam

so luck be with you david allen maybe youll wake up and actually make a game worth a damn or just do us all a favor and dont bother

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Derek Smart.  Wow.  Only thing sillier would be to bring in Smedly from SOE.

If this game survives its going to take a miracle.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Derek Smart.  Wow.  Only thing sillier would be to bring in Smedly from SOE.
    If this game survives its going to take a miracle.

I'll pop the popcorn, do you want cola or root beer?

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Holgranth

I was thinking the exact same thing, what excuses will he come up with this time?

I'd bet my bottom dollar that he cites "personal problems" as the reason for him packing up and leaving, he will more than likely deny that his departure had anything to do with the state of Alganon itself.

• IgorchtIgorcht Member UncommonPosts: 82

Gotta admit, I've never really been a big sim fan so I have no idea who Derek Smart is... looks like he made a couple of decent games and then one that was not so good, and then likes to be argumentative and rude on the internet, so a lot of people hate him. So the most hated guy in gaming next to Smed or John Romero is going to be in charge of one of the most unbearably mediocre, maligned WoW clones to ever exist. This will be excellent.

I'm still laughing at David Allen; all his fine words and grand assurances, his belief that Alganon would be the first real alternative to WoW, his insistence that Alganon would be exactly what gamers have wanted, his unbelievable ego and inability to understand that most of his ideas are not that revolutionary or original, and his inability to accept that the Horizons he envisioned was a technological impossibility at the time...

I can't wait to see what he has to say about the news. Part of me hopes this is the last we'll hear from him, and that he's finally realized what a failure he is, but part of me hopes he tries again and provides us all with more entertainment.

Either way, I still predict Alganon will be no more in three or so months, unless Derek Smart, through some miraculous witchcraft, turns Alganon into a good game (which would just be more salt in Allen's wounds, IMO).

"I am the weapon that strikes/In the hearts of men I thrive/Feeding their fear with lies/I will devour/I will divide/I am the god of hellfire/inside every man there lives a liar/before their gods they cower/I will divide/I will devour" - "Divide Devour" by Iced Earth

Originally posted by Igorcht

Gotta admit, I've never really been a big sim fan so I have no idea who Derek Smart is... looks like he made a couple of decent games and then one that was not so good, and then likes to be argumentative and rude on the internet, so a lot of people hate him. So the most hated guy in gaming next to Smed or John Romero is going to be in charge of one of the most unbearably mediocre, maligned WoW clones to ever exist. This will be excellent.

I'm still laughing at David Allen; all his fine words and grand assurances, his belief that Alganon would be the first real alternative to WoW, his insistence that Alganon would be exactly what gamers have wanted, his unbelievable ego and inability to understand that most of his ideas are not that revolutionary or original, and his inability to accept that the Horizons he envisioned was a technological impossibility at the time...

I can't wait to see what he has to say about the news. Part of me hopes this is the last we'll hear from him, and that he's finally realized what a failure he is, but part of me hopes he tries again and provides us all with more entertainment.

Either way, I still predict Alganon will be no more in three or so months, unless Derek Smart, through some miraculous witchcraft, turns Alganon into a good game (which would just be more salt in Allen's wounds, IMO).

Agreed with every word. I should not be this excited about this, but I am. I think David Allen is FINALLY getting his comeupance. You read the guy's interviews even as far back as 2000 and you can see what a concieted egotist he is.

I would LOVE to be able to interview the guy or better yet get him drunk in a bar.

• lancelot76lancelot76 Member Posts: 119

You guys should check out Derek Smart's initial post in this thread:

http://www.alganon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4607-quest-online-announces-leadership-change/

Fascinating reading actually. Enjoy. :-)

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

LOL

I cant wait to hear a third person viewpoint of all this.

• aRidionaRidion Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by lancelot76

You guys should check out Derek Smart's initial post in this thread:
    http://www.alganon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4607-quest-online-announces-leadership-change/
    Fascinating reading actually. Enjoy. :-)

although I am not sure if everything said in his initial post is true...nevertheless it was a great read..especially the part where he tells how the departure of David Allen really went :)

• zarawerzarawer Member UncommonPosts: 31

Sounds like Derek needs a publicist, cause some of the things he said should never be said or said differently.  Sheesh!

• IgorchtIgorcht Member UncommonPosts: 82

From what I've read about Horizons, everything Derek Smart said sounds completely true. I appreciate his directness and honesty, and it sounds like he's got a decent plan for Alganon. I don't know if the game will ever be worth playing, but I'll be keeping my eye on it, and I wish Smart the best.

"I am the weapon that strikes/In the hearts of men I thrive/Feeding their fear with lies/I will devour/I will divide/I am the god of hellfire/inside every man there lives a liar/before their gods they cower/I will divide/I will devour" - "Divide Devour" by Iced Earth

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Not sure what to say about this, but I can comment on the list. The promises on the list seem pretty generic for a MMORPG. I wonder what this means for the future of Alganon?

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Reading his first post, either we had a fool on leadership or they had a good sacrifice to make in order to use as a scapegoat like it was used. People with the pulse shown on that post can and would do that if necessary to bring profit. We will probably know more as time passes though, even if based on future actions and never knowing the past actions.

Unfortunately Alganon now is going in a direction out of my interest when gaming - the F2P cash shop route, apparently this is some kind of miracle formula for dying/unprofitable games. "It is not a traditional F2P game, but if thats what we have to do in the long run, then so be it. For now, we're taking baby steps."