Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

final fantasy 13 combat

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I am trying to find a well thought out and non-biased explanation of the combat system. 

I have not been able to find any good non-industry videos either.  If anyone has any links to some I would greatly appreciate them. 

thanks in advance.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

well you only control one toon and what you can do is limited by your role. But its like click click boom. ahh im good.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

You are something.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• SelenicaSelenica Member Posts: 183

"The battle system, called Command Synergy Battle in game, has been described as "More tactical than Final Fantasy X, faster than X-2, and almost as seamless as XII." The enemies are visible in the field. When the player runs into them with the playable characters, the screen lights up and the scene switches to a vast, blank battlefield, marking the start of a battle. In the battle, the player can control only one character out of a party of up to three, but after some point in the game that character can be switched. The progression in the game will be chapter-based. In each chapter, you'll see the story through the view of different characters."

For more info: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII#Gameplay

Originally posted by Selenica

"The battle system, called Command Synergy Battle in game, has been described as "More tactical than Final Fantasy X, faster than X-2, and almost as seamless as XII." The enemies are visible in the field. When the player runs into them with the playable characters, the screen lights up and the scene switches to a vast, blank battlefield, marking the start of a battle. In the battle, the player can control only one character out of a party of up to three, but after some point in the game that character can be switched. The progression in the game will be chapter-based. In each chapter, you'll see the story through the view of different characters."

For more info: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII#Gameplay

Thanks.  Not really what I was looking for though.

--John Ruskin

• BetrayalFiveBetrayalFive Member Posts: 75

Been playing Final Fantasy since 1992. This is the -best- combat of any of them, in my opinion. I am, highly, enjoying the combat. It is very strategic too. no joke. after you get past the intro of the game (takes about 1 - 2 hours) you will be introduced to the 'paradigm system' which makes combat a lot more fast, more strategic, and sometimes makes you more nervous. Best combat of any final fantasy.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Having put over 20 hours into the game so far, I can say that the combat system is fun and engaging, but it really is aimed at the newer generation of gamers that want everything FAST.  Fast paced combat, only control one character, with the ability to click "Auto-whatever" and your main character will pick some random skills that are best for that encounter.

Personally, I liked the old turn based system.  It gave you time to think out your next moves, what you each of your characters were going to cast, and not be so damned stressed out if that spell is going to go off in time.  It is really annoying when you want one of your characters to cast one thing, and they cast another, because you CANNOT control their actions directly (unless you pick them as your main character you control).

Another major issue I have with it.  If your leader (the character you control) dies, it is instant game over.  No phoenix downs, no Raise spell.... game OVER.

Fun game, but really seems a step back for the JRPG genre if you ask me.

Edit:  Oh, and it wouldn't be Final Fantasy without bosses you spend hours and hours on because they rape face.

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

As has been said the battles take place in actual fights (traditional FF style). You control the actions of the party leader and the other party members act on their own. However you can change the "roles" of everyone in your party during combat as many times as you want. Again you always control what abilities the leader uses but the others will perform abilities based on the rolls you have assigned. For example you can start a fight with one tank and all dps then when you need heals switch your roles to have a healer to heal everyone up and then back to tank and dps.

I haven't played it a lot (yet) but so far I like the combat system.

• BetrayalFiveBetrayalFive Member Posts: 75

I do prefer the old style (i.e. I control all toons) but I still do enjoy how the system is more 'tense' and 'engaging'. Not being able to control your toons also adds pressure to the battles: do i cure or do i wait to see if my teammate does? i dig it. it's more engaging then 12s to me....though i still miss 10s and being able to swap.

• DenusDenus Member Posts: 40

An explanation as follows:

Battles are fought with a maximum of 3 of your party members. All participants in battle have what is called an "Active Time Bar" or ATB. The bar fills at a constant rate over time and is divided into segments.  The majority of the actions you take require at least one segment to be filled. Certain actions will take more than one segment.

The commands you have access to depends on the role of the character. There are 6 roles: Commando, Ravager, Medic, Sentinel, Saboteur and Synergist. You set the roles outside of battle, 1 for each participating member, in groups called Paradigms. You can have up to 6 Paradigms saved at once and in battle it is possible to switch between any of the saved Paradigms at any time during battle.

It is only possible to give specific commands to your main character. The other two characters will execute commands automatically using an AI that takes into consideration the role the character is in, the status of your party and your enemies, specific information on the enemy such as weaknesses and strengths, and unique characteristics of the Paradigm your party is currently in. You can also choose to use Auto-battle on your main character, which will use the same AI to choose the commands.

Battle resolution works similarly to the other Final Fantasies: after selecting your command(s) and target, your character will execute them once the you have the required number of segments in the ATB filled (this is a bit different from previous games, actually, since you can select commands to use before you have the required ATB amount, but the other games made you wait until your ATB bar was full until you could select commands). Combat animations are automatic: you cannot control the movement of your character directly. Animations will also execute immediately (as opposed to previous games that placed character actions in a queue depending on  the order the commands were input such that only one character had an action executing at any one time). This is similar to FFX-2 if you've played that game, and can lead to unusual situations such as delaying the actions of your target by attacking them often enough that their own action keeps being interrupted and resolving much later than it normally would.

I disliked 12s combat.

I would prefer the more traditional style of game play.  I also heard that the character skill advancement system has been paired down.  This game just does not seem to appealing anymore.  I might try star ocean instead. 

--John Ruskin

Originally posted by Denus

An explanation as follows:

Battles are fought with a maximum of 3 of your party members. All participants in battle have what is called an "Active Time Bar" or ATB. The bar fills at a constant rate over time and is divided into segments.  The majority of the actions you take require at least one segment to be filled. Certain actions will take more than one segment.

The commands you have access to depends on the role of the character. There are 6 roles: Commando, Ravager, Medic, Sentinel, Saboteur and Synergist. You set the roles outside of battle, 1 for each participating member, in groups called Paradigms. You can have up to 6 Paradigms saved at once and in battle it is possible to switch between any of the saved Paradigms at any time during battle.

It is only possible to give specific commands to your main character. The other two characters will execute commands automatically using an AI that takes into consideration the role the character is in, the status of your party and your enemies, specific information on the enemy such as weaknesses and strengths, and unique characteristics of the Paradigm your party is currently in. You can also choose to use Auto-battle on your main character, which will use the same AI to choose the commands.

Battle resolution works similarly to the other Final Fantasies: after selecting your command(s) and target, your character will execute them once the you have the required number of segments in the ATB filled (this is a bit different from previous games, actually, since you can select commands to use before you have the required ATB amount, but the other games made you wait until your ATB bar was full until you could select commands). Combat animations are automatic: you cannot control the movement of your character directly. Animations will also execute immediately (as opposed to previous games that placed character actions in a queue depending on  the order the commands were input such that only one character had an action executing at any one time). This is similar to FFX-2 if you've played that game, and can lead to unusual situations such as delaying the actions of your target by attacking them often enough that their own action keeps being interrupted and resolving much later than it normally would.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

--John Ruskin

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by MMOman101

You are something.

sorry its hard to describ somethign like that videos help.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine