Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why All the Jumping ???

kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Could someone explain to me why people have to jump around ALL the time.

I went back to WOW to do the random dungeons.  A lot of the time I have noticed that one of the team members will just jump constantly.  Even when fighting a mob they just keep jumping.

I just don't get it.

(Awaits all the flames from those that just jump)

Comments

• roamieroamie Member Posts: 115

because the endgine supports it?

• MattMassacreMattMassacre Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by kb4blu

I went back to WOW to do the random dungeons.  A lot of the time I have noticed that one of the team members will just jump constantly.  Even when fighting a mob they just keep jumping.
    I just don't get it.

To be honest... when I played WoW I would jump a lot too... Not exactly sure WHY but I enjoyed it.

• sanedorsanedor Member Posts: 485

two reason

1 the game is soooo easy you have to do something to keep the fun

2 WoW looks like a cartoon and the night elves look like bugs bunny so the hopping

just my 1 cent

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

I just don't get it.

Ya know, I don't know. I do a lot of jumping in WoW and no other MMO. I didn't jump around in WAR, AOC, or Ryzom for the sake of jumping and I don't do it in FE.

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by Astralglide

I just don't get it.

Ya know, I don't know. I do a lot of jumping in WoW and no other MMO. I didn't jump around in WAR, AOC, or Ryzom for the sake of jumping and I don't do it in FE.

Psstt... Cant jump in Ryzom.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

The game is so easy, you just need 1 hand. The other hand needs something to do, so many players keep pressing the space bar.

• BureykuBureyku Member Posts: 488

This is exactly why I hope FFXIV does not have jumping. 

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

its a strategy from the pro the average player dont know why they jump but the pro do it because it give them an andventage cant recall how this work but in past parsing.the jumping would lower your damage received and such

its been too long tho can recall if its still effective way of kitting but it seems it lowered the damage in the past

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

I jump around too in WoW. Don't do it in other games, probably because other games animations aren't as amusing.

Archlinux ftw

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

i think they think it makes them harder to hit in PVP, i think it does in AoC, but i might be wrong, largely irrelevant if your opponent is a caster, though being corpsified mid jump is always good for a laugh, for the caster at least

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628
    Originally posted by Kilmar

The game is so easy, you just need 1 hand. The other hand needs something to do, so many players keep pressing the space bar.

Well idk how other ppl play mmos, but i generally map all my keys/macros so i can do all the pressing with one hand, and the mouse features in the other hand, i assume this is how many people do it in wow as well. If you needed two hands to press the space bar, your doing something wrong.

But jumping in wow is addicting when you can do it. I feel bad for the classes that can't do it(casters). I do it in some other games too, but only if it's smooth enough to be entertaining and it doesn't cause problems.

edit: by casters can't jump, i meant that they can't jump in combat since their casting

• AnabanthaAnabantha Member Posts: 10

they jump cause the games so god damn boring, the jumping actually gives some form of entertainment/satisfaction

Originally posted by jadedlevir

Well idk how other ppl play mmos, but i generally map all my keys/macros so i can do all the pressing with one hand, and the mouse features in the other hand, i assume this is how many people do it in wow as well. If you needed two hands to press the space bar, your doing something wrong.

But jumping in wow is addicting when you can do it. I feel bad for the classes that can't do it(casters). I do it in some other games too, but only if it's smooth enough to be entertaining and it doesn't cause problems.

edit: by casters can't jump, i meant that they can't jump in combat since their casting

er, you obviously havent played WoW then, running around jumping and casting things like. oh.. arcane explosion, fireblast, cone of cold, frost nova, ... etc,  all instants, all cast while in mid air if you manage to time it right with the jumping..

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628
    Originally posted by Phry

er, you obviously havent played WoW then, running around jumping and casting things like. oh.. arcane explosion, fireblast, cone of cold, frost nova, ... etc,  all instants, all cast while in mid air if you manage to time it right with the jumping..

I obviously wasn't talking about instant cast, but about casting bars. If you really need me to be that specific, yes they can jump, but they wouldn't for the most part because then they couldn't use their main damage abilities like a melee could.

A mage in a raid is not gona be jumping in place using arcane explosion to dps the boss.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Because we all want to be ninjas melting/freezing/shooting/stabbing people in the face while performing "insane" acrobatics like bunny-hippity-hopping. I said a hip, hop, the hippie, the hippie to the hip hip hop, a you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

People jump when they are bored.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

As a hunter jumping is a must for kiting and so forth.. but either way jumping in WoW just feels satisfying because the animation is seamless and smooth. 

Gildwars was simply unplayable for me due to no jumping.. petty but true.

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by Astralglide

I just don't get it.

Psstt... Cant jump in Ryzom.

Huh... never noticed

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

I obviously wasn't talking about instant cast, but about casting bars. If you really need me to be that specific, yes they can jump, but they wouldn't for the most part because then they couldn't use their main damage abilities like a melee could.

A mage in a raid is not gona be jumping in place using arcane explosion to dps the boss.

Unless his name is Leeroy anyway

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Simple. Draenei Waggle. /thread.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • lekizlekiz Member Posts: 171

Just a habbit. I use to jump a lot too, especially when you didn't have a mount for 39 levels long ago. The travelling could get quite boring. Now, as to why someone would jump around inside of a dungeon constantly, I guess it would be about the same answer: "boredom".

• teknicianteknician Member UncommonPosts: 270

I like to see how many times in a row I can get my Nelf to do his cool little flip when he jumps.

• daemonxierdaemonxier Member Posts: 3

This was indeed the case in vanilla wow for mages to have more reach for AE and FN, they removed it.

Now it's just a habbit.

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

I used to jump when traveling. Not so much in dungeons. Usually I did a lot of jumping only during wait/recovery periods.

• camp11111camp11111 Member Posts: 602

In PvP, jumping over someone and coming behind him ignores his dodge and parry ratings.

Also obstacles can be used to shake off enemies when jumping over them (the fences at the stables in AB come to mind) Jumping over obstacles in Arena to stay in or out of LOS is also necessary.

It took 3 pages of answers to see this posted in the thread.

It shows once again that mmorpg.com is not used by active players of the game at all.

Want a real mmorpg? Play WOW with experience turned off mode and be Pve_Pvp King at any level without a rat race.