Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

help please!how do i activate ANTI-ALIASING!

drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

men i miss anti-aliasing i would wrater lower graphic quality to see it nice !instead of all jaged edged!

ty if you can help!

Comments

• imp0imp0 Member Posts: 54

try edit eq2.ini and add this line "r_aa_blit_1"

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

where is the eq.ini??

• imp0imp0 Member Posts: 54

i think it's just in your base eq2 directory should be something like "c:program filessony onlineeverquest2"

if you are on vista or win7 you can open your start menu and type eq2.ini and it should  pull it up

• wertaxwertax Member UncommonPosts: 68

if its not there, you need to create it yourself,

when using notepad, make sure its not creating a eq2.ini.txt

Ortahr.

• YasouYasou Member Posts: 86

As stated above you need to have an eq2.ini file containing "r_aa_blit_1" in the game directory.

Below are the settings I use on my nvidia card (GTX 285) specifically for EQ2 (you can customize per program in "manage 3d settings"):

Anisotropic filtering: 8x

Antialiasing - gamma correction: on

Antialiasing - Mode: Override any application setting

Antialiasing - Setting: 4x

Antialiasing - Transparency: use global setting (off)

Maximum pre-rendered frames: Use global setting (3)

Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: use global setting (multiple display)

Texture filtering - anisotropic sample optimization: Off

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp

Texture filtering - Quality: Quality

Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: On

Threaded optimization: Use global setting (Auto)

Triple buffering: Use global Setting (off)

Vertical Sync: Use global setting (use the 3d application)

Also very important: do not enable bloom effect in the game display options or AA won't work.

• rywaltrywalt Member Posts: 44

I've done the eq2.ini thing numerous times and still it doesnt work. I found this trick on many forums and followed the directions exactly, still no AA.

I am running Windows 7 64bit

Nvidia 8800gt

4gigs of ram

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me."
    Paul Atreides

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ty for detailled info i ll try to deactivate bloom

• rywaltrywalt Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Yasou

As stated above you need to have an eq2.ini file containing "r_aa_blit_1" in the game directory.
    Below are the settings I use on my nvidia card (GTX 285) specifically for EQ2 (you can customize per program in "manage 3d settings"):
    Anisotropic filtering: 8x
    Antialiasing - gamma correction: on
    Antialiasing - Mode: Override any application setting
    Antialiasing - Setting: 4x
    Antialiasing - Transparency: use global setting (off)
    Maximum pre-rendered frames: Use global setting (3)
    Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: use global setting (multiple display)
    Texture filtering - anisotropic sample optimization: Off
    Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp
    Texture filtering - Quality: Quality
    Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: On
    Threaded optimization: Use global setting (Auto)
    Triple buffering: Use global Setting (off)
    Vertical Sync: Use global setting (use the 3d application)

Also very important: do not enable bloom effect in the game display options or AA won't work.

I used your settings and I must say the game performs much better on my machine now. The AA still doesn't work as good as I would like but it's better than it was. Thanks for the tips!

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me."
    Paul Atreides

• RavynmagiRavynmagi Member Posts: 5

A few things I learned in the last few hours I spent trying to get anti-aliasing working.

Firstly I incorrectly assumed that since I didn't have an EQ2.ini file I was suppose to use EQ2-recent.ini. Which was wrong, I had to create the EQ2.ini file like the others already mention.

Second, r_aa_blit_1 does not seem to be correct. I assume that last underscore was a typo here. Should be r_aa_blit 1 in the EQ2.ini.

Third, with my 4870 X2 (dual GPU) ATI card I had to disable Catalyst A.I. to get AA working. Also if I disabled Cat AI while EQ2 is running, I must exit and restart EQ2 before the change applies. And disabling Cat AI also disables Crossfire on my card, however since this game seems to CPU bottlenecked, it seemed to have little impact on my FPS.

Lastly, I did not need to disable any Bloom effects with my ATI card to get AA working.

Apparently the bloom effect will allow AA to work in certain zones, and create conflict in others. This is why it was recommended to leave bloom effect off.

And you're correct for the "r_aa_blit 1" => also this will not enable AA but force the game to take your graphic settings into consideration.

Finally for those who play in another language (i.e. French) they need to add the eq2.ini file under the language folder (lang fr).

Here's a screenie with the settings I posted above. It's still not perfect but at least the jagged edges are almost gone.

One thing I've noticed as well is when using the widescreen letterbox (in your display options in the game) it smoothes the jagged edges even more, however the textures will slightly lose in clarity (I prefer with letterbox effect though).

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Actually FSAA is not enabled in that shot.  The eq2.ini setting has been pretty hit and miss at least with ATi for a while now.