Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To old UO Vets: One last push?

2»

Comments

• OclloOcllo Member Posts: 52

I went to the classic shard thread again today and was not surprised again. This is what I say, screw it, classic UO is done for good. There are way to many long time UO startics members with lound mouths in the classic shard thread that want classic UO back with very harsh restriction for PvP/PKing that go beyond was was implemented in the classic days. We all know how the UO developers give into and cater to the carebears, their past actions have shown us. I swear to god if I had Bill Gates cash I would buy out UO, I would pay them 5 times UO's worth just so I could close down ALL the shards except for one and that shard would be true classic UO.

I think it's time to just say, we played the best MMO in the best of times and we are left with great memories. Let the loud mouths have their sugar coated, carebear, lolipop version of classic UO.

• games72games72 Member Posts: 31

I've peeked in at the conversation over on stratics a few times and I'd have to agree with Ocllo, the UO we loved is likely gone forever.  I don't know how many old Vets would come back or even know about it, and I'm not all that excited to join the community that is there. 

Originally posted by games72

I've peeked in at the conversation over on stratics a few times and I'd have to agree with Ocllo, the UO we loved is likely gone forever.  I don't know how many old Vets would come back or even know about it, and I'm not all that excited to join the community that is there. 

/Agree, there are not to many true classic UO vets on the stratics forums. There are some but they are the ones that hated the freedom that classic UO gave, I'm sure you have read their posts. They think classic UO was just a non-stop gank o rama, they are on crack. I remember the old days having evil PK's and also anti PK's as well who fought the PK's. Yes, if you did go farm in classic UO in a dungeon for a long period of time, you would get PKed. I also remeber making friends while being in dungeons. I also remeber my friends and guild mates who I am still friends with to this day who had my back in game. I farmed from time to time in the old days but made bank trips every so often. I do not remember classic UO being a non-stop gank o rama. I also remeber traveling around the world and running into people, it was 85% of the time (hail friend) and I would have made friends. I did PK in UO with my mage but when I was on my warrior I was fighting PK's.

• Mister_BitMister_Bit Member Posts: 47

If classic server means I can once again kill, loot and chop someone to pieces with my butcher's knife, leaving dismembered arms, legs, torso and gibs all over the road to Trinsic then I'm all for it haha!

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep. ~Navajo Proverb

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405

I would be more then happy to fork out the cash for a classic server. 

I always enjoyed how you never knew what some one would do.  you always watched your back and just because some one left you alone didnt mean they werent a threat. 

I remember my brief time as a friendly red.  I would run around looking for noobs and heal them and give them some gear... after i got them to stop running hehe.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

As much as I loved UO back in the day, I don't think I could go back again. Even for a classic server...

Its just been too long and I've been spoiled by games with massively superior graphics and controls at this point.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

They could do it but there would be some annoyances at first. It's like people who take their kids to see the Southpark movie. They think its for kids but when they get in there they don't like it, sit through it, and complain.  It probably wouldn't last long. Carebears from the regular shards would whine about stuff they want that's implemented on the classic shards. Devs would probably get frustrated and either close the server or put it through a progression thru the expansions until it catches up to the other shards to calm down the crybabys.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

Originally posted by Briansho

They could do it but there would be some annoyances at first. It's like people who take their kids to see the Southpark movie. They think its for kids but when they get in there they don't like it, sit through it, and complain.  It probably wouldn't last long. Carebears from the regular shards would whine about stuff they want that's implemented on the classic shards. Devs would probably get frustrated and either close the server or put it through a progression thru the expansions until it catches up to the other shards to calm down the crybabys.

/Agree and what gets me is that those carebears that hated classic UO played the game from 1997 to when EA games destroyed the game. Why in gods holy name would you keep paying a monthly fee for a game that you hated so much and for that long? EA games gave these carebears the fking game that they wanted, why do they have to fking bitch about EA games giving the classic UO fans a classic shard? These piles of shit want to fking piss carebear rainbows on a classic shard..... WTF? If they hated classic UO so much.... why the fk do they care what EA games does?

Can you imagine classic UO with very harsh restrictions for PvP/PKing that go far beyond what was implemented in the classic days? No thanks!!!

• SmartwhoisSmartwhois Member Posts: 58

It's kind of funny, the debate between classic UO and current UO resembles the debate between freedom and government.

Some people like to be free, others want government to control everything.

• vaultbrainvaultbrain Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by Anubisan

As much as I loved UO back in the day, I don't think I could go back again. Even for a classic server...

Its just been too long and I've been spoiled by games with massively superior graphics and controls at this point.

Pffft, superior graphics, but shitty game content. Oh, wow, you get to endlessly grind for the next set of hot items in a never ending rat race! Amazing!.......not. Thats all it is anymore, graphics and the item rat race. It leaves the game hollow and pointless, especially when you manage to get those hot new items. Youre stuck waiting for the next expansion for something new to do.

As for controls, dont make me laugh. Pretty much every game out there now handles the same way....lousy. UO, for its simple controls, handled WAY better than any of the mainstream games out there now.

I would take old UO's superior open ended sandbox content and 2d sprite graphics over all the pretty item rat race games out there now.

• madiguanamadiguana Member Posts: 1

I have quited UO for quite some time now...

Started to play back in 1998. By then UO was a tough game that you had to learn how to play the hard way...

Still remember my 1st char and main one tough the end. Ivanhoe - Atlantic Shard. Born in Yew ... got pked 1st time he got out of the guarded zone ( in the Yew Xroads) .

If i remember well it was a +18 game by then. I saw choped corpses along the yew road, legs, arms ...

I felt some kind of fear... so for me and for other starters .. traveling in groups was safer ( people interaction ).

When my weps or armor was ruined i had to look for a smith to repair it,  ( people interaction ) ... BODS killed this...

I remember to see "headhunters" traveling in groups to kill PK's to get rewards...

Game had much more depth and people depended each other much more, what we usually call a society...

As soon as Origin left the "leash" EA made game for +12 ... we cant collect heads from people in our shelf any more...

we dont nee each other skills now because we have bods , we cant get atacked unless we want to ... 

i miss old UO, i wouldt mind the old graphs... loved the gameplay, blood rush, interaction, freedom to do what even we wanted to....

Polymorph really worked by then....

Used to poly into a chicken and wonder around near woodcutters to get atacked ... then KAL VAS FLAM 

well could be here forever reminding stories of old UO .... but one thing i know... ORIGINS poWnS EA 

LORD BRITISH FTW

• aesbestosaesbestos Member Posts: 81

I realize this thread is a bit old...  Just wondering if there has been any word on this?

As mentioned, the free shards running hybridish rules are all over the place.  The more popular ones having 1000+ at any given time.  EA could release a server and draw all those players back on a more stable, even server and just be racking in the cash.  The thing about classic players, is they like the game it is... so no need to be working on expansions for the server.  Just make sure it is running.   Heck, players ran most of the events in UO, anyways.  I remember dungeon runs where 100s of people flooded into dungeons to wipe the floor with all the mobs.

• KezzadrixKezzadrix Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by Stellos

I would love to see classic servers, without the lag that we had to deal with in early UO.  That would be great!

I didn't have much lag & I was on dial-up internet at that time.  =P

I don't think i'd return to UO. I really liked the game in it's time, I played for 4 years or so but just too much has changed. Ventrillo, Razor/Sallos alone has taken much of the challenge out of the game.

UO was a classic though! One of my all time favorites.

• NivezNivez Member Posts: 93

Anything Pre Tram would keep me happy. Anyone remember Abyss test Color Wars?!?!?

• NussbaumNussbaum Member Posts: 27

If EA made a pre-UOR server, based somewhere in New York or the UK, I would resubscribe in a hearbeat. The freeshards I've tried always had either to low a population, dumb rules or terrible admins.

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

Originally posted by aesbestos

I realize this thread is a bit old...  Just wondering if there has been any word on this?

They are definitely still looking into it.

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=219355

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

once SWTOR is out they will just shut down Warhammer and UO.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I would probably go back, but I know my huge house and all the stuff in it is gone.  I would have to buy gold somewhere to place a new house, but I dont want to do that.

• teromousteromous Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by vaultbrain

Originally posted by rmk70

To be honest, I'm always surprised EA hasn't jumped on classic servers yet. Without a doubt they would be full within a week of release of current and returning players. It's simply very easy money for them... and we all know how whorish EA can be, so why not on this?

All they need to do is create a facebook page for classic UO, ramp up the hype, launch it a week later and within a month they'd be raking it. How dumb can these guys be? (rhetorical question)

Its not due to a lack of intelligence on the EA staffs part, its more due to an over abundance of arrogance.

See, they know classic servers would be a huge hit. Hell, they know it would restore UO to its former level of respect amongst the MMO community.

However, it would prove that everything since trammel has been a waste of time. It would prove that LBR, AOS and everything that followed was a complete and utter detriment to the game and that they should have left well enough along, applying simple patches and upgrades where needed, instead of their whoreish attempts at getting in on the mainstream EQ clone trend. They should have left UO the niche game it was, instead of making it into the cheap mainstream knock off it is today.

I've never understood why people put all the blame on EA.  Yeah, they screwed the game up...bad...but OSI began to destroy what was left of the game in an attempt to keep up with every other game on the market, long before EA ever took over.  It is a cheap mainstream knock-off as you mention though.

Part of the appeal to UO that can't be undone now:

-Players were all human, which made the game unique from EQ.  Not anymore.  Now I can be a friggin elf or a gargoyle?  The whole idea of being a human is what made UO.  The avatar was human.  What I never understood, is that most of the players who wanted to be something else would RP as orcs.  Why, in their ultimate wisdom, did they choose elves and gargoyles over what the players were already doing...(well I kind of understand elves, there were a few RP towns with Tolkien elves).

-The player economy was alive.  You would constantly break or lose weapons and armor when you died.  You needed bags of extra armor and weapons in the bank or house.  Most of these were crafted by other players.  Now, they have item insurance and you can keep the stuff when you die.  With this, there is less need for people to buy from players.

-More face to face interaction.  People were always at Brit bank selling stuff, or at the forge to the north repairing stuff.  Now with things like repair deeds, you don't need to talk to players to get stuff repaired.

-More thought was put into your skills, and you had to be careful.  Each character you made was a deliberate result of choice and planning.  Now you can store skills on a stone and be a jack of all trades, swapping out whatever skills you want with whatever characters you want.

-Damage was simple.  You had AR for weapons, and resistance for magic.  Now there's an armor and damage type for everything you can think of.

-People were careful with pets.  Granted...things were crazy before there were pet slots.  As much as I loved dragging out my scaly army to destroy an AW, it was a bit ridiculous.  However, there was always the risk that I could have lost one.  Now, you can resurrect pets and even summon them!  Before, a large part of the player economy was based on taming and selling pets for players.  Whether it was because the player didn't have the taming high enough to get the pet themselves, the pet was too hard for them to obtain, or it was a color they couldn't find...it could be handled by your local tamers.  The limit on the number of pets you could have out at one time put a damper on this.  You would no longer see long lines of pets outside the bank.  With people resurrecting their favorite pets, they no longer needed to buy new ones.

-100% made sense.  I've always hated people who say "give it 110%".  If I had an extra 10% to give, it would mean I was only putting out 90% effort.  100% in a skill meant you were done.  With the introduction of scrolls, you could get past 100%.  WTF.

-Bosses.  Again, WTF.  The game always had harder monsters people would go after, but bosses...

-Balance issues.  So my friend talked me into playing the game again with him a few years back.  I built up my character (quite quickly...which was also strange...) and decided to visit some of the old hunting grounds.  I remembered they were challenging as a melee character, so I was careful.  To my surprise, with the introduction of all these new "special attacks" I was mopping the floor with enemies.  I remember having to leave piles of gold as a tamer, but never on my old melee characters.  I could kill things pretty fast with a vanq but still...it was much slower.  Now it got to the point where the ground was just littered with corpses and it wasn't a challenge...just a blood bath with tons of gold and items.  I figured I'd try out a new area, and it was very different.  Some of the monsters were more challenging, and some were just annoying.  I appreciated the challenge, but was pretty upset that I no longer felt that sense of impending doom while walking into the old world dungeons.

They would have to get rid of a LOT of stuff to bring the old UO feel back.  I mean a ton...

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

You are so right.  I miss the old days.  Especially Pre-trammel.  Even after they implemented Trammel, it wasnt so bad.

I tried to play again a few years back and they had Ninja's?  WTF  I think they were ninja's, not sure now.

UO was very magical to me back in 1997-2001.