Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few questions

I have a real craving to play an mmo, and this one has my interest but just want to ask some things first.

1. Whats the general gameplay like? (Quests, crafting etc)

2. What's the combat like?

3. Does it stick to, and eloborate upon, the lore of the game? (I'm a big Lord of the Rings fan).

4. Do people play the game like a game and not treat it like a race to max level and suppoed 'end-game'? (This is important because it really irritates me when people rush through games and don't appreciate other content).

5. Once at the 'end-game' what are the forms of advancement? Are there involving, long, story-related quests? Or class-specific to build on personal story development?

6. I'm not generally a RPer but since I really like LotR lore I may actually in this game, so whats the community like?

7. Are all the quests just delivery and kill ten 'x' quests? Or are they more involved?

Any other tips or bits of information that may be exciting please tell me. I'd also like suggestions of server (for RP/high population). I'm from England, so European servers.

I think I'd like to play either a burglar or warden, are these fun classes?

Thanks a lot in advance for answers :)

Currently playing: No MMOs
Played properly: WoW
Tried: AoC, WAR, Aion, Darkfall
Looking forward to: FFXIV, Earthrise, The Secret World, Guild Wars 2 (very much), Project Copernicus (and Mercury for that matter), Everquest and Planetside Next (finally a meaningful mmofps again)
Wants to play in 2 years time if it survives from the subscriptions of fanatics and turns into the game with all features stated on the website: Mortal Online

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by 9GreenMen

I have a real craving to play an mmo, and this one has my interest but just want to ask some things first.
    1. Whats the general gameplay like? (Quests, crafting etc)
    2. What's the combat like?
    3. Does it stick to, and eloborate upon, the lore of the game? (I'm a big Lord of the Rings fan).
    4. Do people play the game like a game and not treat it like a race to max level and suppoed 'end-game'? (This is important because it really irritates me when people rush through games and don't appreciate other content).
    5. Once at the 'end-game' what are the forms of advancement? Are there involving, long, story-related quests? Or class-specific to build on personal story development?
    6. I'm not generally a RPer but since I really like LotR lore I may actually in this game, so whats the community like?
    7. Are all the quests just delivery and kill ten 'x' quests? Or are they more involved?

Any other tips or bits of information that may be exciting please tell me. I'd also like suggestions of server (for RP/high population). I'm from England, so European servers.
    I think I'd like to play either a burglar or warden, are these fun classes?
    Thanks a lot in advance for answers :)

The game play is very similar to most mmo's. I would say that their quests are usually very well written and that they can have several levels to the writing, oftentimes referencing something in the books or the world.

There are also the main or "book" quests and these take advantage of scripted events. My opinion is that it is the best pve game on the market.

Combat is target and use skills like other games. Has auto attack.

If you are a big lord of the rings fan then you have found your game. If you are an extreme lord of the rings purist you might have a conniption because they have done some bending here and there with good to poor results. Still it seems far more true to lord of the rings when compared to "lord of the rings: conquest"

Some people try to rush to level only to find they are highly disappointed. The game IS the game. There is no magical end game goodness to rush to. this is not to say there aren't things to do at end game but rushing past everything will not deliver a great game play experience. It's like rushing to the end of the movie or a book to experience the last scene/chapter without paying attention to the rest of it. A pretty shallow experience with not much context.

There is some advancement at end game by working on traits and deeds that add to the efficacy of your character as well as leveling and molding your legendary items. Personally I like the idea of the legendary item system but I do think it misses the mark. There are quite a few posts about this system on the main forums.

Excellent community and very helpful. Every game has its idiots but I have found less of them here.

As I mentioned before the book quests are more involved. If you read the quests then you might enjoy them. If you grab quests do them and then turn them in to grab more you will find kill x of y quests without context.

I know nothing of Euro servers but I believe there is a RP euro server.

Both burglar and warden are excellent classes. Sadly for me I just don't have the memory for the warden gambits but I love how the class plays.

I will add that though I hate the avatars and most of the art design of the gear with a passion I love the world itself. It could be a bit more open for my tastes but generally is pretty open with some exceptional places.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • 9GreenMen9GreenMen Member Posts: 62

Bah I want a few more opinions! :)

But thanks Sovrath, as very helpful post

Currently playing: No MMOs
    Played properly: WoW
    Tried: AoC, WAR, Aion, Darkfall
    Looking forward to: FFXIV, Earthrise, The Secret World, Guild Wars 2 (very much), Project Copernicus (and Mercury for that matter), Everquest and Planetside Next (finally a meaningful mmofps again)
    Wants to play in 2 years time if it survives from the subscriptions of fanatics and turns into the game with all features stated on the website: Mortal Online

• ElrohonElrohon Member Posts: 3

Coming from a casual gamer's perspective, this game is quite entertaining. The quests are a bit WoW style, but more 'elaborate', each with their own little backstory which make it that much more interesting. Crafting can be a hassle at first, having pre-determined vocations, but with the idea of mastery behind everything, it makes it all worthwhile :).

Combat usually depends on the class (as is with every other game) but it is more generally fast paced and involved, and can be viewed as more 'tactical' then other games (my opinion, therefore it may not be shared by others).

As for the lore, this game (again in my opinion) sticks magnificently with the JRR Tolkien's fantasy world. Almost everyplace looks like it should be where it is, and was constructed very well. I cannot say that it is everyone's 'perfect' form of Middle-Earth, but nonetheless, it is quite breathtaking.

I will have to say this, but I have not experienced much end game for LOTRO, but have heard many good things about it. The game seems to do a good job of giving you many things to do one you reach it. Sure there will be a few players seeing who can get to the level cap quickly (which at the current moment is level 65) but that cant be helped and everyone is entitled to what they would like to do. For content appreciation, that is all based on the person, but if you are an avid Lord of the Rings fan, you will enjoy the content :).

I touched a bit on end game a bit already, but for advancement, there are the raids and instances here and there, but there are also an implementation called skirmishes that make the game quite enjoyable, while adding some interesting instances if I do say so myself :). And if you havent finished the Epic Quest line (the main storyline of the game) you can on right ahead and do that too!

Roleplaying is not an uncommon sight in LOTRO, and in my opinion, some of the nicest people you meet :). Since I do not play on European servers, I do not know if there is an un-official role playing server, but if you create a character and ask around, im sure someone would give you an awnser. As for community, each experience is different, some beginner areas (except maybe Bree) will feel empty, but as for my own perspective, the people are usually quite helpful with any questions you ask, as long as you ask nicely and not insult the game in the process ;).

And finally quests. In LOTRO, quests similar to WoW admittedly, but are more elaborated on, each having its on captivating sub-plot which makes each one unique in its own right. You will get quite a few 'kill x beast y number of time' or 'speak to z', but that is only to be expected because it is a general and simple idea for a quest, whereas others are mroe elaborate and require you do to a few things extra. My personal favorite are the instanced quest because of the interesting plots accompanied along with it and most of its well thought of conclusions. :)

Well, thats is for me, I hope this gives you a varying opinion on this game and it would be wonderful if you tried it out, and if I am sure, there is also a trial you can download. Thanks for reading :)

Edit: And to awnser the Warden/Burglar class, the warden is a hybrid class where your memory is your greatest tool and how you use it can change the tide of battle. For the burglar, I do not play it enough to have a strong opinion on it, but sneaking around, attacking from behind and stealing are always fun, right? :P