Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guess what got the Number One slot for most disappointing games of the decade.

Comments

• CitiusCitius Member Posts: 69

I liked Doom 3 >:( 

and MGS 2: Son of Liberty was great and is one of my favorite PS2 games.  This list is flawed, yet i've never tried SWG so no opinion 

Played: World of Warcraft (5Y), WarHammer (3M), Anarchy Online, Runescape (5+Y), Lord of the Rings Online, Runes of Magic, City of Heroes/Villains, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Fallen Earth (1M)

Currently Playing: Guild Wars
    Currently Trying: None
    Taking a Break From: EVE Online

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

<===  John Smedley        He must be dancing over at SOE over this one.    Im really suprised no ones written a book over this one, but ehhh they all point the fingure at someone else dont they.     If youve read any of the ex disgruntled Dev bloggs they always say its that guy, dont look at me I was the good guy that was against it all.     I think it was one big systematic failure from top to bottem no ones blamless on the NGE.     At least SWG is #1 at something. 

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Holy crap lol!!! 

Think we can stop blaming "Vets" for the bad reviews now? ;)

What a freaking smack that is. WORST game of the DECADE!!! I've played some real SH!T the past 10 years - to take the top spot should make Smedley realize he needs to fire every flipping person that works for him besides Adept and Hjal.

I just have to do this one more time...

WORST GAME OF THE DECADE!!!

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by TUX426

Holy crap lol!!! 
    What a freaking smack that is. WORST game of the DECADE!!! I've played some real SH!T the past 10 years - to take the top spot should make Smedley realize he needs to fire every flipping person that works for him besides Adept and Hjal.

As if there were any other game in the running. There have been plenty of bad and failed/closed MMOs over the decade, but no game besides SWG was considered good or very good by 150-200k of its customers, only to have it be gutted (twice) post launch.

To have a really spectacular crash and burn, you need to get a good ways off the ground. That is what we had here.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Good find! Maybe one day another dev team will come along and build us a game like the original SWG without all the bugs. Not holding my breathe though.

• SelenicaSelenica Member Posts: 183

LOL... Gametrailers has done a good job of documenting SWG's failure. They had a Retrospective video about it.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

yet another distinction to the NGE for its epic failure...

Originally posted by Selenica

LOL... Gametrailers has done a good job of documenting SWG's failure. They had a Retrospective video about it.

as far as i could tell all the footage was on the NGE.

• SeNsaToR1337SeNsaToR1337 Member UncommonPosts: 36

I'm sorry, are you people blind... It's the top 10 DISAPPOINTMENTS of the decade--not the top 10 worst games.

There were some pretty good games there: Fable, MGS2, etc. It's just that the games were hyped up so much by the devs and the community and on release they fell short--in SWG's case it fell short a couple of years after release. :S

• MontycatMontycat Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Troneas

It's not just the NGE though, the game as a whole was considered a disappointment.

Originally posted by SeNsaToR1337

I'm sorry, are you people blind... It's the top 10 DISAPPOINTMENTS of the decade--not the top 10 worst games.

There were some pretty good games there: Fable, MGS2, etc. It's just that the games were hyped up so much by the devs and the community and on release they fell short--in SWG's case it fell short a couple of years after release. :S

Meh, read it how you like. IMO there's very little difference between the 2 words when referring to "gaming". Technically, you are correct though. My bad.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

The game is disappointing.. has been for years.   Make that the 'Understatement of the decade.' 

The game is terrible as well, at least it's been terrible in my opinion.  And it has been for years. 

As much spit, spin, and shine that LA/SOE has tried to apply to this turd... it's still, at it's very core, nothing more than a really awful sh*t sammich served in the wrappings of one of the greatest IP's of all time. 

Originally posted by Montycat

Originally posted by Troneas

It's not just the NGE though, the game as a whole was considered a disappointment.

yes yes but whilst the game as a whole was a dissapointment it can be argued that it was because SOE did not follow a development path to the original game and instead broke it with the NGE - MMOs are work in progress after all.

The Pre-Cu was a masterpiece without a frame and instead of making a nice frame to it SOE scribbled all over it.

if you listen to what the guy says on the video his complaints are all centered around the nerf - not the original game.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

That authors list was a total joke,not only was 9/10 games on that list NOT hyped,but i would have expected MOST of them to be average at best.

AS for SWG,he based that off of the NGE,that has NOTHING to do with hype of a game,that was an after thought a PATCH.It was also a patch put together in 2 months,so who expected anything from it?The ACTUAL release of the game,was a good one admitted so by all the vets who longed for the original game and still do,so i would say the author of that list is out to lunch.

Games like LAir/Fable/and that Rockstar game were hyped?I think not ,at least to anyone with common sense.As far as LAIR goes,it sounded to me like the game was too hard for the author,witch disappointed him and made him call it a over hyped game,when in reality it was no hyped in anyone's book ever.Most admitted the game delivered on EVERYTHING except it's controls,witch is why i said the author found it too hard and complained.

I know a lot of people who likedMG1 but in reality it was an extremely cheap game,made full of tight corridors/halls cheap graphics and animations.SO who in their right mind would have over hyped a MG2?Sonic Hedgehog over hyped ?lmao by who?it was a VERY simplistic game,most peopel i know goofed around on it but neve considered it to ever be a great game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LonewolfLonewolf Member UncommonPosts: 252

Think you will find the chart was for the most DISAPPOINTING game of the decade and not WORST game...just wanted to clear that up...as people usually don't listen or read things properly and that post is a clear indication of this

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I'm surprised Warhammer and Star Trek Online didn't make this list. I could give a flying rat's ass about Perfect Dark Zero or whatever it's called. Or that other odd name game Daikatana. IMO STO was the biggest letdown of the last 10 years by a mile. I don't care if it came out in 2010, last I checked 10 is a decade.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Holy crap lol!!! 

Tbh, I think Smed should hit the eject (resign) button rather than fire.  Biggest problems in the game to date imo:

-released in busted, very incomplete condition (like a car missing the transmission kind of incomplete)

-massive revamps that alienated the majority of the playerbase

-a history of poor customer service that generated incredible frustration among those brave or foolish enough to stay in the broken, incomplete, utterly revamped game

-change of business model adding addtional layers of fees via RMT to said broken, revamped, incomplete subscription-based game.

If you ask me, those are all upper level management decisions.  I don't think they need to keep dumping development talent.  They need new direction at the top.

P.S.  Yeah I know some of the whacky ideas came from devs themselves (e.g. NGE), but a good manager needs to know when to listen to his staff, and when to tell them to get back to work.

Originally posted by SeNsaToR1337

I don't think your blindness comment fits here.  SWG was not a good game.  It released in bad shape, and two disastrous revamps made it even worse.  I think the last revamp severed an artery in terms of subscription bleed.  To suggest that the game was merely overhyped seems to completely ignore its severely troubled--and well documented--history.

In fact, the lead dev on the last revamp referred to it as an "epoch grade f*ckup."  This doesn't refer to marketting hype.  It's about what not to do to an MMO.

• I don't think your blindness comment fits here. SWG was not a good game. It released in bad shape, and two disastrous revamps made it even worse. I think the last revamp severed an artery in terms of subscription bleed. To suggest that the game was merely overhyped seems to completely ignore its severely troubled--and well documented--history.

In fact, the lead dev on the last revamp referred to it as an "epoch grade f*ckup." This doesn't refer to marketting hype. It's about what not to do to an MMO.

Actually when swg came out it was one of the best mmo's out at the time great city battles,great economy,great community......did cu and nge screw over swg yes it did....i am a vet of swg and i was pissed and hated what they did to the game i thought highly of.......but let me say this i returned to swg a few weeks ago after leaveing a few months after nge and i still love the game for what it is.........and like the title says biggest dissapointment not biggest failure just my 2 cents....also i have seen alot of old vets returning besides my self so if you dont know about a game from its beggining you probly shouldnt post about it

Originally posted by BlackWatch

The game is disappointing.. has been for years.   Make that the 'Understatement of the decade.' 
    The game is terrible as well, at least it's been terrible in my opinion.  And it has been for years. 
    As much spit, spin, and shine that LA/SOE has tried to apply to this turd... it's still, at it's very core, nothing more than a really awful sh*t sammich served in the wrappings of one of the greatest IP's of all time. 

LOL!!! That pretty much sums up the current game tbh ;)

Originally posted by Lonewolf

Think you will find the chart was for the most DISAPPOINTING game of the decade and not WORST game...just wanted to clear that up...as people usually don't listen or read things properly and that post is a clear indication of this

Yeah, that's been pointed out already. And if you read my comment to the last person to correct me, I feel the word is fairly interchangeable here. While I'm "technically" wrong, I still think I'm accurate tbh.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by BlackWatch

Actually it describes all iterations of it.

It is amazing how the past is forgotten now. The past recorded on this very site no less.

For some good reading I suggest taking in http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/803/page/235

There are pages and pages of posts to attest to it. Some folks liked SWG...most hated it.

SWG has been just one huge clusterfrak since launch.

I guess one man's chit sammich is anothers filet mignon. /shrug

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by BlackWatch The game is disappointing.. has been for years.   Make that the 'Understatement of the decade.' 

I could not agree with you more BW and Tux... Now Imagine this... a 22 month fast than the sandwich.. and Folks wonder why I carry on.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

Originally posted by carbine34

I don't think your blindness comment fits here. SWG was not a good game. It released in bad shape, and two disastrous revamps made it even worse. I think the last revamp severed an artery in terms of subscription bleed. To suggest that the game was merely overhyped seems to completely ignore its severely troubled--and well documented--history.
    In fact, the lead dev on the last revamp referred to it as an "epoch grade f*ckup." This doesn't refer to marketting hype. It's about what not to do to an MMO.

Actually when swg came out it was one of the best mmo's out at the time great city battles,great economy,great community......did cu and nge screw over swg yes it did....i am a vet of swg and i was pissed and hated what they did to the game i thought highly of.......but let me say this i returned to swg a few weeks ago after leaveing a few months after nge and i still love the game for what it is.........and like the title says biggest dissapointment not biggest failure just my 2 cents....also i have seen alot of old vets returning besides my self so if you dont know about a game from its beggining you probly shouldnt post about it

When SWG came out, it had an excellent IP, an amazing community and great potential.  It also had broken quests, broken professions, and a lot of missing features that had originally been slotted for release.  All of these problems led to poor initial reviews, and a subscription bleed.

As I mentioned earlier this is all well documented, and I witnessed it first hand.  In fact much of this history is reiterated in the rationale for SWG's selection as number one most disappointing game.  The reviewer mentions the problems at release as well as the two nasty revamps.  It's an excellent summary of SWG's troubled lifespan, imo.

Was it overhyped?  Probably.  However, any amount of hype is going to be too much when your professions and quests are broken out of the gate.  Then when you throw your most loyal customers under the bus...twice...it's hard to imagine things getting worse.

Originally posted by JestorRodo

I could not agree with you more BW and Tux... Now Imagine this... a 22 month fast than the sandwich.. and Folks wonder why I carry on.

LOL! You need to try another restaurant :P