Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dangerous Bug in new NVIDIA Driver

cshanorcshanor Member UncommonPosts: 64

This was posted to battle.net forums this morning, I'll post a link to the forum post:

www.worldofraids.com/wow-blue-tracker/eu-forums/12829452843-dangerous-bug-in-new-nvidia-driver.html

Comments

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

Nvidia have had way too many faults like this lately. Some previous version also reported frying cards. One more nail to nvidia's coffin, soon rats will start leaving the sinking ship.

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

A T I

A T I

A T I

A T I

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

i went to ati !love the card but i wish game maker called them more often because often game maker feature arent friendly with some techno ati use and if you dont call them you end up with a game looking just soso instead of wow!

PHONE THEM!

ASIDE FROM THAT I LOVE ATI WORKS GREAT!i got the oc feature but i dont use it because this system is wide open and lot of guys fried their card because they didnt know what they were doing!

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Let's not turn this into an ATI vs Nvidia thread guys. That being said, I really appreciate you giving me the heads up. Thankfully I'm still using 196.21 so I'm not affected. I regularly look for new graphics drivers, so I'm glad I saw this thread first. This should be stickied or something!

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

i got the oc feature but i dont use it because this system is wide open and lot of guys fried their card because they didnt know what they were doing!

*stips the ATi love*

I think you have a good point there. A lot of people OC their card and don't heed the warnings, or just plainly don't know what they're doing. Besides, the bug comes from a beta driver. That and a faultly OC might fry any card, weather it's nVidia or ATi

...I'm so happy I don't OC my GPU. I bught a factory OC'd one ;)

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

mm!yep!one company that scare me a bit tho is intel!intel?yes they have made it clear that they are working to find a technology that will out do ati and amd!last try they werent satisfied with the result they delayed the new graphic card thing

no news from intel is rarelly a good sign for competition!everytime it happens it means they found a way to do better!

and as we saw in the past intel made some mistake and they showed us 12 month can be a very long time to sit around

they were behind technologicly and funny they added mem controller on proc and even added direct cache access

witch im sorry to say is too good !amd just cant compete with a dca activated system,lets try the futur a bit

imagine dca with their futur graphic card .not one graphic card on the planet will be able to out do intel futur techno.

i do hope intel is sleeping or that ibm is working hard with amd/ati to futur proof their techno

but intel is a pretty hard company to keep at bay.yes ibm can do it but they gave up that long ago they fight the corp on a diff turf now!

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

The driver version with the bug is 196.75 and can fry your GPU, if anyone installed this driver you should switch back to an older release. It was a WHQL non-beta driver but Nvidia already pulled it so it's too late to go fry your GPU on purpose unless you can find it someplace else. :P

• bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Originally posted by noquarter

The driver version with the bug is 196.75 and can fry your GPU, if anyone installed this driver you should switch back to an older release. It was a WHQL non-beta driver but Nvidia already pulled it so it's too late to go fry your GPU on purpose unless you can find it someplace else. :P

I still have it downloaded on my comp, once I saw this.... reverted back asap :P my pc is no longer on warranty lmao. Now I dunno if it had anything to do with my movie "freezging"  every seconds all of sudden.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

HAHAH damn im lucky i forget to upgrade my drivers ... still on 196.21 :P should really upgrade it but meh.. if they are having this issue now.. i think 196.21 is my keeper for now lmao...

last thing i want/need is frying my pc >> the only spare card i have is an S3virg..... and yes... its like 4mb of ram... wooohooo lets play AOC on that...

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Not surprising.  All modern nVidia GPUs have run hot.  If they make a mistake that screws around with the cooling its goodbye GPU.  Its also a beta driver so it won't be catastrophic for nVidia.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902
    Originally posted by Cleffy

Not surprising.  All modern nVidia GPUs have run hot.  If they make a mistake that screws around with the cooling its goodbye GPU.  Its also a beta driver so it won't be catastrophic for nVidia.

It was a WHQL driver

We run Quadro's at work (fx 4800's) and I was having some issues with a new 3d setup on our QC managers new machine.  I installed these drivers thursday and had to revert back friday after I recieved the notice from nVidia.  Nothing happened, but I dont install beta drivers on work machines.  I have to verify theyre WHQL certified.

They did pull them as soon as the problem popped up. Im curious what type of people this effected?  From what Ive read, it seemed to have only effected a majority of over-clockers.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Originally posted by Ichmen

HAHAH damn im lucky i forget to upgrade my drivers ... still on 196.21 :P should really upgrade it but meh.. if they are having this issue now.. i think 196.21 is my keeper for now lmao...
    last thing i want/need is frying my pc >> the only spare card i have is an S3virg..... and yes... its like 4mb of ram... wooohooo lets play AOC on that...

Haven't updated either. Thanks for the heads up, OP.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Rayx0r
    Originally posted by Cleffy Not surprising.  All modern nVidia GPUs have run hot.  If they make a mistake that screws around with the cooling its goodbye GPU.  Its also a beta driver so it won't be catastrophic for nVidia.

It was a WHQL driver
    We run Quadro's at work (fx 4800's) and I was having some issues with a new 3d setup on our QC managers new machine.  I installed these drivers thursday and had to revert back friday after I recieved the notice from nVidia.  Nothing happened, but I dont install beta drivers on work machines.  I have to verify theyre WHQL certified.
    They did pull them as soon as the problem popped up. Im curious what type of people this effected?  From what Ive read, it seemed to have only effected a majority of over-clockers.

The articles I read seemed to point to video cards that come with non-reference coolers or factory overclocks as being the ones mostly affected.

I've been using 180 series drivers, they give much smoother performance than 190 series. 

• SuburbanBaseSuburbanBase Member Posts: 7

My  three year old 8800 GTX died this week ....i was installing windows again plus drivers for other bits .I read about the problem just after my card fried !!!....ATI HERE I COME!

SACK RAFA QUICK!!!

Originally posted by SuburbanBase

My  three year old 8800 GTX died this week ....i was installing windows again plus drivers for other bits .I read about the problem just after my card fried !!!....ATI HERE I COME!

Doesn't sound like drivers caused it. Afaik they only prevented fan speed to rise, with 8800 GTX the lowest fan speed is at 60% which is more than enough for desktop usage.

Too bad, that was the last kickass nvidia card, I'm still using the same card.

• SuburbanBaseSuburbanBase Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by dfan

Originally posted by SuburbanBase

Doesn't sound like drivers caused it. Afaik they only prevented fan speed to rise, with 8800 GTX the lowest fan speed is at 60% which is more than enough for desktop usage.

Too bad, that was the last kickass nvidia card, I'm still using the same card.

Yeah it was a major upgrade over other cards . I was expecting to add to it but never had a game to make it work hard.

SACK RAFA QUICK!!!

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Yeah nvidias drivers sure are better than ATIs drivers.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Rofl at using stock fan control.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine