Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

best race/class combo?

I haven't played this game since it originally launched.

Back then I picked Human and tried to level up EVERY class to level 10, then back to every other class to level 20 and so on.

I was just seeing what was the best classes. I liked the idea of monk abilities working for innate protection while healing etc.

However, this time I thought I may just ask, what works best together? what is best for a race for that approach (besides human)

I am thinking paladin and like one or two other classes to focus on.

thank you in advance. 

Comments

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Mmmm, no response from anyone else for a month. That's a little eerie.

I'd suggest maybe asking the same question on their official forums.

I haven't played this game for years now but from memory there really weren't any "best" race/class combos. As a biped (i.e. not dragon) you can theoretically eventually max every class. Some races may be a slightly better option though, depending on what you want to focus on. All I can remember is that dryad was pretty good for spellcasting.

There used to be a really good site that listed exact details for every single class and all of their spells/abilities that also had excellent guides for multiclassing, but I can't find it....

• dand3dand3 Member Posts: 241

I'd say that it really isn't worth worrying about.  Pick a race and class you prefer, and have fun.  Multi-classing lets you "fill in" any qualities that you want... And of course your choice of craft makes a difference.  As a classic example, fitter gives you 10 strength/level; useful as a complement to many classes.   I like Saris myself, for the variety, and ranger for the very broad abilities; being able to resurrect for example, do lesser heals, cast some AoE spells, have the longest range pull in the game, saris sprint for "uh-oh" moments... but there are many, many other combos that others have been very happy with.  Most take a few levels of healer, and a few levels of sorc (?) for perfect and triple cast, just for a well rounded character.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's not worth worrying about - you are permanently stuck with your choice of race.

I think it's more fair to say that 'power' isn't such a big issue since PvP doesn't play a big part, and by the time you get to really high levels a biped's class skills will make most racial special abilities seem fairly insignificant. Though some are definitely better than others.

The most up to date list I could find doesn't even have dryads - scary in itself. But you can see disparities.

http://horizonsvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Guides.Detail&id=2

All of the abilities on 5 minute timers seem kind of poor compared to the permanent ones.

From memory I recall there being a lot of gnomes, with their enhanced dodge and attack speed - two very nice bonuses. Since I played a dragon the abundance of tasty *drool* ..... er I mean charming little gnomes was of course quite welcome.

• dikazweidikazwei Member Posts: 5

I agree that you should just pick a race you like and just have fun. The starting stats are not as significant as your progress in levels and get training points. The great number of classes enable you to go in all sorts of directions. This is especially true in crafting since there is no trade off in being in as many crafting classes as possible.

All this is different if you are a dragon. If you are a dragon, it is sort of like being a biped with training wheels, The progression through the levels has a much more rigid feel and path. Still, being a dragon is a lot of fun. There is not as much need to plan how you will proceed with what sort of class, what sort of abilities, or what quests to do.  It is easier, you can glide off of cliffs from the beginning, and upon becoming an adult, you get to fly.  It can be a very fun game.

Originally posted by dikazwei

All this is different if you are a dragon. If you are a dragon, it is sort of like being a biped with training wheels, The progression through the levels has a much more rigid feel and path. Still, being a dragon is a lot of fun. There is not as much need to plan how you will proceed with what sort of class, what sort of abilities, or what quests to do.  It is easier, you can glide off of cliffs from the beginning, and upon becoming an adult, you get to fly.  It can be a very fun game.

Yeah - especially since with dragons there's really no choice at all - unless things have changed dramatically?

Dragons supposedly have two 'classes' - melee or spellcaster. But a melee dragon's damage output is soooooooooooooo much higher than a spellcasting one that it's just sad.