Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Console FPS?

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Ok, I am looking for a console FPS.  Before I get to far i want to state why.  I am not great at FPS, I do not play as much as many people do so I ussualy do not know all of the maps and tricks inside and out.  I am ok with that though.  Basically though most people on a console use the controller and you can only get so good with a controller, a mouse and keyboard on the other hand......  Consoles just help me even the playing field a bit so I suck less.

I have both the xbox306 and the ps3.

I am looking for a more team based FPS. I would like to avoid the rambo run and gun as much as possible.  There are a lot of FPS out there so I do not want to get one that is limited in population or has game breaking hackers/mechanics.  I would prefer to get this purchase correct so I do not waste money on a game. 

I have though about getting MAG but i am not sure how it is coming along.

I have also though about BC2.  Any comments on these two games would be greatley appreciated.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• TimmeyhTimmeyh Member Posts: 166

Ive heard good stuff about MAG, but ive been playin BC2 beta since it started and thats the best multiplayer FPS ive ever played, Cod4 and Quake 3 are still fighting for 2nd place.

Mag is 256 players and BC2 are 32 players, but i dont think u can use choppers or any kind of viechles in MAG, correct me if im wrong. And the Action is alot more intense in BC2 with the frostbite destruction engine.

i would say go for BC2 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I am not sure of it's popularity anymore,but SOCOM was very popular for at least the first couple installments.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Originally posted by Timmeyh

Ive heard good stuff about MAG, but ive been playin BC2 beta since it started and thats the best multiplayer FPS ive ever played, Cod4 and Quake 3 are still fighting for 2nd place.

Mag is 256 players and BC2 are 32 players, but i dont think u can use choppers or any kind of viechles in MAG, correct me if im wrong. And the Action is alot more intense in BC2 with the frostbite destruction engine.

i would say go for BC2 

How much run and gun is in BC2. I am looking for a more tactical shooter where teamwork is critical.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Most played Team Based FPS on consoles are currently Halo 4 and MW2.

I personally play MW2 on the 360 several times a week, and I wouldn't say you can only get so good with the controller. I routinely have matches where I'm 16-20 kills and 3-5 deaths (my best match so far has been 25 kills no deaths, team deathmatch only goes up to 75 kills for a team to win, tough to get much higher then 25 with 5-7 other people racking up kills) and I've seen people who routinely have 2-3 kills and 15-20 deaths.

There's definetly still a skill gap even with the annoyance of a controller. But I am more likely to have a bad match on the console then I ever was on the PC I know that much. I have matches where I drop down to 1-1 kill to death ratio and just can't seem to get the shots off first.

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Most played Team Based FPS on consoles are currently Halo 4 and MW2.

Both of those games are run and gun games and have little to no team tactics.

--John Ruskin

• TimmeyhTimmeyh Member Posts: 166

the most teambased games ive played is Swat 4 and Battlefield series, Cod 4 and 6 is all run and gun. 

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Surprised no one has mentioned Borderlands yet.  Be worth a look, at least.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I'm a huge fan of halo 3, but for what the OP is looking for, I'd recommend Battlefield: Bad Company 2.  Team play is rewarded not only with victories, but with additional points in the game towards unlocking new items.  Squad play is rewarded further in the same way.  

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by MMOman101

Originally posted by Timmeyh

i would say go for BC2 

How much run and gun is in BC2. I am looking for a more tactical shooter where teamwork is critical.

There is quite a lot of teamwork in BC2. I'd say its your best bet.

Its not really a run and gun game.

Originally posted by zeowyrm

Surprised no one has mentioned Borderlands yet.  Be worth a look, at least.

i have borderlands but I did not enjoy it.  I might try it again.

--John Ruskin

Originally posted by kadepsyson

I'm a huge fan of halo 3, but for what the OP is looking for, I'd recommend Battlefield: Bad Company 2.  Team play is rewarded not only with victories, but with additional points in the game towards unlocking new items.  Squad play is rewarded further in the same way.  

I am completely tired of the Halo franchise.  What system do you think I should get BC2 for?

--John Ruskin