Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG is a better game than STO

Comments

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

I have played both and i can assure you that SWG blows STO right out of the airlock. STO is a shallow repetitive game made by one of the most dis honest developers i have ever had the displeasure of doing buisness with.

Cryptics buisness pratices and shoddy game make SOE's NGE look good and no i am not kidding with that statement.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

I'm not playing either any longer but IMHO SWG is a million times better MMO than STO...All STO has over SWG is updated Graphics...

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Sort of like 2 kids fighting over who came in last place for the race. 

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

I like both. I have fun in both. My game is better then yours pissing contest are for the kids.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Duh... ANY game is better than STO, even Cryptic's own Champions Online. :)

• DasmDasm Member UncommonPosts: 6

Cat poop is better than dog poop. Still wouldn't play with either of them.

• ArtymasArtymas Member Posts: 38

i play both, because i love both star wars and star trek.  But yes as of right now SWG is better then STO but give STO time to get more content plus they also just implimented diffculty sliders and injuries.  Soon they are gonna be bringing in ship interiors, so yes i love both, plan on playing both and yes when SWTOR comes out i plan on playing that as well.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Even F2P Battle of immortals is better than STO, your point being what?

• ArtymasArtymas Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by patrikd23

Even F2P Battle of immortals is better than STO, your point being what?

my point is i play both and i like both, i do what i want.  Im not in no way saying that the game sucks or not.  But what i just found out and is very impressed about is that in beckett MMO magazine SWG finished runner up in the scii-fi game of 2009 to cities of heroes, i am very happy to see that SWG is still strong.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Holy crap! We found a game that current SWG is better than.

Grats... I guess.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Grats... I guess.

Difference is, STO has years to grow still to correct their game...SWG doesn't. One is at the beginning, one is at the end. Of the two, STO has the brightest future.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by TUX426

Difference is, STO has years to grow still to correct their game...SWG doesn't. One is at the beginning, one is at the end. Of the two, STO has the brightest future.

I would not be sure of that.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

If you were an investor, and you had to invest in one of these two companies, you would be a FOOL to pick SWG over STO. STO sucks, don't get me wrong, but of the 2 games, STO has no new Star Trek MMO releasing soon to compete with it...SWG has TWO!!!

Grats... I guess.

Doubt it, does Champions Online have a bright future? CO can be found for $3 in stores, STO already dropped $20 in stores (edit: dropped $40 on collector ed.).

Originally posted by sookster54

Grats... I guess.

Doubt it, does Champions Online have a bright future? CO can be found for $3 in stores, STO already dropped $20 in stores (edit: dropped $40 on collector ed.).

At least STO can be found in stores ;)

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Well, I guess that's really a matter left up to each individual player, but does it really matter in this case? It's like bragging that this stinking pile a crap is better than that stinking pile of crap.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

I'm definitely not sure of that :) STO has overtaken SWG in the bad press/player feelings dept and unless years of development change that awful game - SWG will be here after it's gone.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Grats... I guess.

Yep...in the close out bin :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

Originally posted by echolynfan

Grats... I guess.

Why all the hate? Try finding SWG anywhere in any flipping store...hasn't been for YEARS and it NEVER EVER will be again. I fully expect to see some STO expansion on store shelves some day, but SWG's days of growth are over - everything is down hill from here. STO has "potential"...a word a lotta people used with SWG for years. If they squander that potential the same as SoE has with SWG, I hope they fold too.

I really don't care if either fail, but of the 2 games, I most certainly feel STO has a brighter future than SWG. SWTOR and SoE's own Clone Wars game will be direct competitors to the failing SWG soon. STO has no competing "Trek" MMO and that's what will save the game (for a bit at least).

And of the 2 companies, much like their games, neither can be called "good" IMO, but Cryptic at least is listening to their customers...what is SoE's track record with that?

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

And of the 2 companies, much like their games, neither can be called "good" IMO, but Cryptic at least is listening to their customers...what is SoE's track record with that?

According to the OBoards, SOE is listening to the playerbase more than ever.  Then again, according to the OBoards, smaller updates, happening farther and farther apart, consisting of things like removing no-trade status from items and yet another round of revamping the classes, is more new content than the game has ever seen.  If you don't think everything is just great you should quit, but why don't more people play...?

Originally posted by Obee

According to the OBoards, SOE is listening to the playerbase more than ever.  Then again, according to the OBoards, smaller updates, happening farther and farther apart, consisting of things like removing no-trade status from items and yet another round of revamping the classes, is more new content than the game has ever seen.  If you don't think everything is just great you should quit, but why don't more people play...?

You're talking to an ex-senate that saw some of what goes on behind doors.

Originally posted by echolynfan

Grats... I guess.

Why all the hate? Try finding SWG anywhere in any flipping store...hasn't been for YEARS and it NEVER EVER will be again. I fully expect to see some STO expansion on store shelves some day, but SWG's days of growth are over - everything is down hill from here. STO has "potential"...a word a lotta people used with SWG for years. If they squander that potential the same as SoE has with SWG, I hope they fold too.
    I really don't care if either fail, but of the 2 games, I most certainly feel STO has a brighter future than SWG. SWTOR and SoE's own Clone Wars game will be direct competitors to the failing SWG soon. STO has no competing "Trek" MMO and that's what will save the game (for a bit at least).

Sorry Tux, STO is just... bad, it has little to no future.

Originally posted by Obee

They only have TWO Devs!!! 2! Too. To. Two! 

(possibly a 3rd lurking in the shadows working on TCG loot, but never posting)

To me, it looks like they're basically turning the game over to the players at this point. The fight is over and it's obvious - all the "iconic" costumes for ESB anniversary. NO TRADE removed from Heroic Jewelry, the last thing any player had to legitimately "earn" in-game.

There are no new "content" updates coming...simply profession tweaks...and at a time when the game finally was as close to "balanced" as any MMO ever could be...how f'king stoooooopid!

Busy work...that's all I think it is now. Enough to look like they're working, but nothing of any real substance and sure as hell nothing that improves the game IMO.

Sorry Tux, STO is just... bad, it has little to no future.

I know it is. No argument there. NONE!!! But if a game like Vanguard or POTBS can last as long as they have, I have little doubt Star Trek will last at least 2-3 years, crap game or not. SWG wont (unless it's free). That's the only point I'm trying to make.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by gary0515

Yes i know this is going to start a storm, but it is also true.  I have played both and even with all the bad karma galaxies has engendered, I have to say that it is a better game than STO.

With that said, let me explain my points. First I played galaxies in every version from beginning to present and I understand the who, what, when, where and why all the bad feelings that galaxies created in the gaming world. But I can take the current version of galaxies as it is and enjoy it.

Point 1: what the player can be. In STO you can be either a member the Federation or the Klingon empire as officers in either navy. In galaxies you can be 9 different professions, plus you can pick up beast master now as well. STO Does not have trader or mercenary professions, I mean I would love to be a Nausican pirate.

Point 2: what the player can do: In STO just fly around from mission to mission. Getting levels through combat, In SWG you can Do that as well as build say a player city, Just need some friends and some player made houses and some open flat ground, there you are with a bran new city that you and your friends own. You decide what you want in it where you want to put it. You can explore persistant worlds in galaxies, STO is all about small instances of ground usually analyze this, kill that type of stuff. The persistant worlds in galaxies allows for stable places to build, fight or dance, whatever. I haven't mentioned crafting because STO doesn't have it. So nothing there to compare.

Point 3: Spaceships, In STO you can have enormous starships, but you can't walk around in them. In galaxies you can, in fact you can now have Gunships Huge multi floored behemoths to fly around in, you can crew with 8 friends, Now the drawback there is that you have to have a crew to fly these things in combat, No such thing as a master pilot ship that fights with just itself.

Point 4: Content: Yes SWG has had years to make content, So I will stick to When Galaxies first started. The content then was/is a lot better than you get in any of the MMO's that have come out in the last few years. It seems we gamers have gotten soft in insisting on a fun game when we first buy it, not one where the only content was an endless set of missions that look just like the last one we just did.

Now for those of you who are going to start in on the lag issues that persistent worlds have as a reason to have instances let me point out that I was running SWG on high graphics with little to no lag during the massive player/NPC battles going on with the latest publish. Also I will point out that STO has frame rate issues that can damage video cards.

Ok let the fight start and have fun to all :)

Your premise makes no sense #4  says it all, you cant compare a game that has been out many years with STO and be fair about it, you can either compare a 6 month old SWG with todays STO or you have to wait years and see what Cryptic does. After 6 months SWG was a disaster, people were getting killed by butterflies, the game was a slide show and there were bugs everywhere

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by eddieg50

Your premise makes no sense #4  says it all, you cant compare a game that has been out many years with STO and be fair about it, you can either compare a 6 month old SWG with todays STO or you have to wait years and see what Cryptic does. After 6 months SWG was a disaster, people were getting killed by butterflies, the game was a slide show and there were bugs everywhere

Actually it is a very valid point, because we are comparing both games as they are presented today.   Since we lack the ability to go back in time, the amount of content swg had at 6 months doesn't matter, since both games are competiting for subscribers right now.

That isn't saying that a game needs 6 years of content to be able to compete.  All a game needs is enough content to occupy players while the developers create and implement new content. 

Quantity of content isn't all that matters either, there is also quality.  Having tons of poor quality content isn't any better than not having enough content to keep player occupied.