Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Darkness vs The Secret World

sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

OK.. so we have 2 new, and original, yet somehow very similar games coming out in the undefined future. 

The Secret World 

by Funcom. It's advantages are pretty obvious. Funcom has a great game engine already fully developed, and tested on Age of Conan. They have been known to be the first to introduce "new" to the MMORPGs (AO SciFi theme, AoC combat and so on) however they also have the reputation of only being able to finish their games a year and a half after release. Maybe now that the team concentrates on the game rather then the engine, their game can be better and more successful?

World of Darkness 

by the WW and CCP merge. The creators of EVE sure know how to appeal to the MMO masses as their steadily rising subscription count shows. Their game is more successful then Funcom games. They too are known to bring forward new ideas into their designs. However... they do not have the engine readily given to the dev team, which as we know might result in losing to competition.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

Comments

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I don't know enough about the games to give you a true answer.

If i had to pick between the developers I would pick CCP.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Not much is known about either game, but till there is an Open beta  phase it's always only speculations, we can speculate even now. :P

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

Originally posted by sacredfool

Not much is known about either game, but till there is an Open beta  phase it's always only speculations, we can speculate even now. :P

I don't know enough about Funcoms IP. I now enough to know it will be very hard for any developer to pull off a mmo based on White wolfs Rpg IP.

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651
    Originally posted by sacredfool

OK.. so we have 2 new, and original, yet somehow very similar games coming out in the undefined future. 

The Secret World 
    by Funcom. It's advantages are pretty obvious. Funcom has a great game engine already fully developed, and tested on Age of Conan. They have been known to be the first to introduce "new" to the MMORPGs (AO SciFi theme, AoC combat and so on) however they also have the reputation of only being able to finish their games a year and a half after release. Maybe now that the team concentrates on the game rather then the engine, their game can be better and more successful?

World of Darkness 

by the WW and CCP merge. The creators of EVE sure know how to appeal to the MMO masses as their steadily rising subscription count shows. Their game is more successful then Funcom games. They too are known to bring forward new ideas into their designs. However... they do not have the engine readily given to the dev team, which as we know might result in losing to competition.

I think, opinion only, that The Secret World is probably going to release first.  I think that because CCP is doing  alot of EVE oriented things.  They both look good to me, I love the premise of TSW and I loved Vampire the Masquerade.  In fact having just gotten hooked on the TV show Supernatural - watched seasons 1-4 in about a month due to a friend giving  1-2 to me and another friend loaning me 3(i bought 4) - TSW has an edge in my opinion - it looks very similar to Supernatural, an encroaching darkness, fighting monsters, etc.

It will be interesting to see them finished.  Until then I am still looking for an MMO that I like more than 3 months at a time.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Let's see

A mmorpg based heavily on works of H.P.Lovecraft and E.A.Poe, which was in development for more than 6 years and has Ragnar Tornquist(The Longest Journey, DreamFall Chapters) at the helm.

VS

A mmorpg based on roleplaying game and about which NOTHING is known for certain and this mmo will most likelly have a random guy at the helm.

Secret World wins hands down

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Like the other said it is far too early,we know very little.What i do know about WOD is they seem to be really riding the STORY element,this is something FFXIII is taking a ton of criticism for right now as players complain it makes a game too linear,and guess what FFXIII IS a single player game lmao,so if people hate linear witch i am one of those,then they for sure are not going to accept linear in a MMORPG.

Linear game play was also a mistake Funcom did in AOC,people play an MMO they want the vastness of choice,they want to feel like they control the game not the other way around.I highly doubt WW will ever match the story line of a FF game,FFXI story line was vast and for the most part stayed it's course,the magical part was how open FFXI was,so it did not turn into a linear game just because it had a story line.

My gut feeling witch has never been wrong,is that neither game will be very open,imo both will be like playing a single player game,while just adding in a server.I hope i am wrong we need some good open ended games that are not the same NPC>NPC quest running,this type of model has far over stayed it's welcome.I will definitely keep an eye open for both games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

WOD all the way!!! While I think the secret world will do well it wont equal WOD in popularity. The only way that WOD will fail if CCP  really screws it up. They are being careful about how they implement the game and features si i dont see this happening. I dont blame ccp for withholding info on the production of this game wth too many people too quick to critisize.

(BBBBBBWWWWWAAAAAAHHHHH raise splunger in salute to WOD and White Wolf!)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

About the release dates, I would not be so sure. WoD was meant to release 2011 (including delays) which TSW maybe is running but is estimated to release late 2011 npt including delays .  

WW and CCP merged 4 years ago btw, and TSW development of the actual engine only started around the same time. I think it evens itself out.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Way too early to even think of this pol because we have little information on SW other than lore and some lore based videos(possible I missed things being released) and actually no information at all on WoD.It's like asking people to vote on who will be the next president of the U.S right now...some people will vote based purely on bias but no one will vote on any actual relevant knowledge.

Originally posted by Yuui

Let's see

A mmorpg based heavily on works of H.P.Lovecraft and E.A.Poe, which was in development for more than 6 years and has Ragnar Tornquist(The Longest Journey, DreamFall Chapters) at the helm.
    VS
    A mmorpg based on roleplaying game and about which NOTHING is known for certain and this mmo will most likelly have a random guy at the helm.

I can write a novel on Vampire the masquerade. What can you tell me about Secret World other than the people writing it?

Funny how that games been in development for 6 years!!! and i've seen next to nothing on the game.

So let us know. whats the deal with Secret world? 

• PreponerancePreponerance Member Posts: 295

Will the new interview sway your position?

http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1072842p1.html

Originally posted by Wizardry

Like the other said it is far too early,we know very little.What i do know about WOD is they seem to be really riding the STORY element,this is something FFXIII is taking a ton of criticism for right now as players complain it makes a game too linear,and guess what FFXIII IS a single player game lmao,so if people hate linear witch i am one of those,then they for sure are not going to accept linear in a MMORPG.
    Linear game play was also a mistake Funcom did in AOC,people play an MMO they want the vastness of choice,they want to feel like they control the game not the other way around.I highly doubt WW will ever match the story line of a FF game,FFXI story line was vast and for the most part stayed it's course,the magical part was how open FFXI was,so it did not turn into a linear game just because it had a story line.
    My gut feeling witch has never been wrong,is that neither game will be very open,imo both will be like playing a single player game,while just adding in a server.I hope i am wrong we need some good open ended games that are not the same NPC>NPC quest running,this type of model has far over stayed it's welcome.I will definitely keep an eye open for both games.

CCP make a linear game? heh

• zinkerzzinkerz Member UncommonPosts: 174

Yea i agree 3 fractions...6 years of development...secret world hands down.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Funcom vs CCP? CCP, thank you.

Originally posted by Preponerance

Will the new interview sway your position?

http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1072842p1.html

Nice link. thanks.

Probably not. Eve is like the best mmo i ever played while Funcom released pure suck in AoC and keeps their only good mmo on life support.

Even with that info I would side with CCP.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Way too early to even think of this pol because we have little information on SW other than lore and some lore based videos(possible I missed things being released) and actually no information at all on WoD.It's like asking people to vote on who will be the next president of the U.S right now...some people will vote based purely on bias but no one will vote on any actual relevant knowledge.

It is, at the most basic level, a popularity contest of sorts. If you are an optimist; which developer will create the better game? If you are a pessimist, or member of mmorpg.com ;p , who will screw it up less?

Personally, I have faith in CCP on the matter. They are never really ones to be rushed so I believe they will take the time required to make their vision work. Given that I generally like the design decisions of EvE, I have high hopes for WoD. TSW, for what I've seen so far, looks like it could be pretty cool, but I haven't been too impressed with Funcom thus far and will likely wait a bit after it's out before considering giving it a go. Just my two isk though.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

In the end the proof is in the pudding.

Regardless of what either game company has done before the games can't be judged until they are judged.

Quite frankly I'll try both.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

I'm going with The Secret World. It'll be out far before WOD and to be honest I totally forgot there even was a WOD game being made.

FunCom has been working on TSW since 2002, and it is a separate team from Age of Conan & Anarchy Online.

19 votes already, and TSW is only leading by one. Seems the expectations are pretty even. :P 

• Praxus1874Praxus1874 Member Posts: 152

Let's see

VS

This right here.  Not to mention TSW has a graphics engine lifted off AoC, which is one of the best looking MMO's on the market.

Prax

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by Wizardry

CCP make a linear game? heh

DID i say that?NOPE.

I started saying we have literally nothing to go on,but what we do have is WW doing all the talking and they are NOT a MMO  game developer.They have made it quite clear however that the game is not going to be your normal game it is going to be driven by the story,that is pretty much ha given for linear design.

If you go to the WW web page,they have lots of downloads,everything is still a bit vague,but it sounds like the game might have a design that involves mini games,that each are based on stories.It sounds to me like they will have instances,each has a story and you go into each to follow the story,you might need a group you might not,still way too early to tell.

CCP/EVE has a story?NOPE.This is brand new ground for CCP.

I had even less to go on for Secret world so i am just assuming Funcom follows their AOC design.SW is actually not a story driven game,so it has less chance to be a linear game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

[quote]Originally posted by Wizardry
    I had even less to go on for Secret world so i am just assuming Funcom follows their AOC design.SW is actually not a story driven game,so it has less chance to be a linear game.[/b][/quote]

The newest interview confirmed that the only common thing beteen AOC and SW is the graphical engine ;]

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

The newest interview confirmed that the only common thing beteen AOC and SW is the graphical engine ;]

And the fact neither is a sandbox. But then, TSW can not be simply because to make it a sandbox they would have to include the whole world in it. :P

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Conceptually, I'm more interested in The Secret World, especially after the latest interview. But I trust CCP as a company, and I think they'll deliver... while Funcom has already "failed" for me through AoC. So we'll see; I guess no one is really sure, since the poll is split 50/50.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Originally posted by Comnitus

. So we'll see; I guess no one is really sure, since the poll is split 50/50.

I think that's pretty interesting in, and of, itself. I say this because, of the two games, I've seen more hype for TSW. When I refer to hype, I am referring to the various puzzles and websites they've set up to keep people guessing and interested. On the other hand, with WoD, all I ever see is "hey, any new news about WoD?". It's interesting to see the two approaches to marketing and how they are working out for each developer. Leaves one to wonder how the numbers would change when CCP starts marketing/hyping WoD.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence