Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will keep me from buying this game, what about you?

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I want to see a game,not just another copy cat.If they remove instancing,that still does not equate to a game.I am sick of doing quests in games,they don't feel like quests,they are nothing more tha nleveling tools to force,hold your hand through levels.That is my other concern,i don't give two cahoots about levels at all,i play a game because it is fun to play.If the game is designed to be a race to end level and everyone else in the game is playign it that way,i have no interest for the game at all.If it designed to be a solo fest,then it is nothing more than a single player game,again i would have no use for it.

I also expect to see some content,no that does not mean maps/zones/change my players hair colour,it means CONTENT.If it lacks content ,then it better deliver a very cool combat system,i am sure MOST are sick of the WOW play style 1-2-1-2 mashing of the same two hotbar icons.I have zero interest for PVP,so it better deliver a good PVE game.I am also really turned off by games that try to utilize cheap/lame gimmicks to get subscriptions,example the one i heard in SW where they give you free XP just because you put your name in a group,that is a HUGE turn off for me.

As you can see a long list of possible failures for the game,but all of witch i expect EVERY game to deliver on.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BannneBannne Member Posts: 244

Originally posted by Wizardry

I want to see a game,not just another copy cat.If they remove instancing,that still does not equate to a game.I am sick of doing quests in games,they don't feel like quests,they are nothing more tha nleveling tools to force,hold your hand through levels.That is my other concern,i don't give two cahoots about levels at all,i play a game because it is fun to play.If the game is designed to be a race to end level and everyone else in the game is playign it that way,i have no interest for the game at all.If it designed to be a solo fest,then it is nothing more than a single player game,again i would have no use for it.

I also expect to see some content,no that does not mean maps/zones/change my players hair colour,it means CONTENT.If it lacks content ,then it better deliver a very cool combat system,i am sure MOST are sick of the WOW play style 1-2-1-2 mashing of the same two hotbar icons.I have zero interest for PVP,so it better deliver a good PVE game.I am also really turned off by games that try to utilize cheap/lame gimmicks to get subscriptions,example the one i heard in SW where they give you free XP just because you put your name in a group,that is a HUGE turn off for me.

As you can see a long list of possible failures for the game,but all of witch i expect EVERY game to deliver on.

So you wont be playing SWTOR then?

• swyndleswyndle Member Posts: 52

Make or break for my wife and I would be if they deviate from the Guild Wars mould. If they charge more than box to play it, if they make it open world where we have to deal with lining up for X npc kill, if they don't include mercs for us to round out our duo with, if they force pvp or grouping on us... In other words, if it has one thing that makes it not Guild Wars, then we wont be interested in playing it, we play other games for that.

• scorpio0679scorpio0679 Member Posts: 22

I am really tired of "carebear" games that do not have open world PvP.  While I agree with "safe zones" or protected lower levels, I really dislike games that do not have an element of open PvP at some point.  That being said, Guild Wars was certainly not an open world pvp game, it being so heavily instanced.  However, I am very hopeful that GW2 will have more options for people that like competitive PvP action in an open environment.

Total lack of open pvp will be a deal-breaker for me.  PvP servers, the way WOW implemented it, would certainly be acceptable!

s

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I played GW 1 for most of a year.   I loved the soloability factor, and I especially enjoyed having mercenaries that I could train and gear up as I saw fit.

I loved watching the PvP matches, but I never PvP'd outside of the snowball fights.   PvP isn't for me, so that part of the game generally holds no interest.

The storyline and the quests were well done, and I also enjoyed the graphics, although I found strategically I had to play fairly zoomed out which made everything quite small.

I disliked some of the sizes of the instances (although I very much enjoy instances).   Some of them were far too large, IMO, with multiple levels and a zillion trash mobs you had to slog through.

The reason I quit GW, and will probably never play GW again, is because to get to any quest location, it reminded me too much of a raid where, as above, you had to slog through tons and tons of trash mobs.    A few I dont mind, even a few dozen, but most of the time there were literally hundreds and hundreds of them in the way, and combat in GW is very slow.

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

I LOVE the instancing in GW, and do you want to know why? No? I will tell you anyway....

Because while I am out taking care of business in the world, I don't have some random asshat rolling up to me asking me for money because he is to lazy to get it himself.

I do not have some 100's of random asshats spamming my chat bar with anal jokes.

I do not have some random asshat running around behind me just to annoy me spamming omgbbqftw over and over.

I get to relax with a few friends or some really decked out heroes, and use what time I do get to play taking care of business instead of listening to kids whine or be annoying, or putting up with otherwise braindead retarded people.

GW is an awesome game model. Best of it's kind.

Originally posted by SwampRob

I played GW 1 for most of a year.   I loved the soloability factor, and I especially enjoyed having mercenaries that I could train and gear up as I saw fit.

I loved watching the PvP matches, but I never PvP'd outside of the snowball fights.   PvP isn't for me, so that part of the game generally holds no interest.

The storyline and the quests were well done, and I also enjoyed the graphics, although I found strategically I had to play fairly zoomed out which made everything quite small.

I disliked some of the sizes of the instances (although I very much enjoy instances).   Some of them were far too large, IMO, with multiple levels and a zillion trash mobs you had to slog through.

The reason I quit GW, and will probably never play GW again, is because to get to any quest location, it reminded me too much of a raid where, as above, you had to slog through tons and tons of trash mobs.    A few I dont mind, even a few dozen, but most of the time there were literally hundreds and hundreds of them in the way, and combat in GW is very slow.

Yeah I can understand that, and I would tend to agree with you on the mob situation. BUT

It really boils to in the end to your heroes you carry and the build you have on yourself as to how fast or slow you travel around.

I am a Scythe Pet Ranger, and I do massive amounts of damage to single and multiple targets with a spammable deep wound ability.

I carry with me 3 monks, Ogden, Tahlkora, and Dunkoro. These 3 monks I have equipped with a very specialized smite setup that pretty much rips the face off anything they target, and if they get lucky and I am able to cluster the mobs together, they kill the entire group at one time.

I bring Mehnlo and Lina along for heals, and usually Zao for interrupt of healer mobs, and Aiden for range pick off (both are rangers)

This setup allows me to crush any size group of mobs, doesn't matter if it's 6 or 26. I avoid what I can when traveling, and if I have to fight, it is usually over in a matter of seconds anyway.

So you are right, mobs are there in huge numbers at times, but if you build correctly and bring some hard hitting support, you will cut through those zones like a hot knife through butter.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Good reviews will make it much more likely for me to buy. Otherwise, I really don't care at this point.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Originally posted by Quirhid

Originally posted by Krazco

If i cant jump i wont even play it, that whas a huge gamebreaker for me in GW1

Did you actually miss out on Baldur's Gate, Diablo, Neverwinter Nights, KotOR, Mass Effect and Dragon Age for such an insignificant feature? Wow...

I played all but one of those, and during every single one it bothered me that I couldn't jump. Especially ME and DA.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

Only 1 thing will make me not buy this game

If it never releases

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I plan to buy GW2, but I already know, why I will quit this game.

It will be PvP and it sounds as if it will be without a monthly fee. So the community will be the shit.
    Again you will read freaks spamming the city-chat "WTS YELLOW !!!!!!!", or...

I better stop here, because I plan to buy Guild Wars 2.

• VypreVypre Member Posts: 180

Why bother.  Its a pvp third-person arenanet rpg, heavily instanced, and linear without any substance that's akin to any open or freedom of development mmorpg.  I can see how it might be appealing to immediate gratificaiton players in the fantasy mmo market that want absolutely no complexity or breadth to depth of immersive game-play involved, though.

Striving for Silver Stars since Gold is so effeminate.

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

The game looks interesting so I'l buy it.

As for the instancing, so what, if the game is fun I couldn't give a fig if it's open world or a private instance.

Originally posted by Vypre

Why bother.  Its a pvp third-person arenanet rpg, heavily instanced, and linear without any substance that's akin to any open or freedom of development mmorpg.  I can see how it might be appealing to immediate gratificaiton players in the fantasy mmo market that want absolutely no complexity or breadth to depth of immersive game-play involved, though.

You're kidding right? I didn't see /sarcasm off

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

i will definitely buy GW2, without any doubt
    but if it will foster things i hate in other MMOs, i may just go back to GW1
    griefers, pkillers, respawning mobs, boss camping, overly complicated crafting system, grindfest
    im sure anet will take care of those

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

As long as the business model stays the same with B2P and no invasive cash shop I'll buy it. Even if the game isn't as great as expected there's no reason not to buy it since you can quit and return whenever you like. GW1 was great to play when I was burnt out or bored of other games.

• MuridanMuridan Member Posts: 94

Nothing will keep me from buying this game, GW1 was well worth the money and there will still be no subscription fee.

GW2 is going to be better than 95% of the other MMO's out the second it launches.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Certain purchase for me. I was thinking the other day how awesome pre sear ascalon was... ahh if GW2 can capture and improve upon the first then i'd even pay to play.

• HochmeisterHochmeister Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by vistakah

I was not a huge fan of GW1 namely because of instancing in general and primarily instanced PVP. If open world PVP isn't made a primary feature then more then likely i will save my money or spend it elsewhere. What is make or break for you buying into GW2?

Dude open world PVP is part of guild wars it said there will be a world v.s world. I think that means you can fight other people in the PVE or join up with them (not in a outpost, Not in a party, just in the open world) and fight creatures or eachother.

• LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679

Nothing will keep me from buying it.

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

I was not a huge fan of GW1 namely because of instancing in general and primarily instanced PVP. If open world PVP isn't made a primary feature then more then likely i will save my money or spend it elsewhere. What is make or break for you buying into GW2?

Nothing will keep my from buyin GW2. Who cares if PVP is instanced? as long as it is fun.

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

WvW will be in tyria but a copy of tyria in the mist.So yes it is instanced,but your not going to feel it..because its a whole world that is huge.

• vistakahvistakah Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by Muridan

Nothing will keep me from buying this game, GW1 was well worth the money and there will still be no subscription fee.

GW2 is going to be better than 95% of the other MMO's out the second it launches.

Lets hope they make major graphics improvements over GW1 and that the henchman are gone as well.

• NozzieNozzie Member Posts: 54

I have probably spent more time playing GWs since its release than any other game . Far & away the best value for money game around IMHO . My only major complaints are with the introduction on PvE skills that required significant grinding ( I hate grinding ) , & the end of annual new campaigns/expansions after the release of EotN . 

Even though the little information that has been released about GW2 leads me to believe that it will be a more conventional game than GW , there is absolutely nothing that will stop me buying the game . 

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by Muridan

Lets hope they make major graphics improvements over GW1 and that the henchman are gone as well.

Why? The graphics are still quite good for how old the game is. And what is so wrong with henchmen? Do we need another generic mmo to come out?