Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old Beta testers goes New Beta Testers hopefully

Iam an old Beta tester too and i contacted Heatwave in case of the old beta accounts. Thats what i get replyed:

Hi xxx! I’m glad you are still as excited about Gods & Heroes as we are! I am going to try and re-recruit all the original beta testers back into the game when we reach that point. That will probably be a few months down the road, but should be fun.

Thanks!

Chris “Binky” Launius

Brand Manager | Heatwave Interactive, Inc.

www.heatwave.com 

Comments

• RansomDentonRansomDenton Member Posts: 111

Awesome. I had two friends, one old student, that worked at P and P2 and I miss the game so much. I enjoyed the old beta and I hope to get into this beta as well.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Yea i was one of the original 300 they let in when the closed beta started. I would gladly come back if they see it fit to do so!

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

Same.  I was in the beta and loved every minute of it.  Sure, I found bugs and submitted the appropriate reports, but the game had so much potential.  The minion system needed some  tweaking,  but it was playable.  The devs were responsive and were making strides in the right direction.  I was sad to see it go.

I would gladly come back to testing and offer any support I could.

• DelovelyDelovely Member Posts: 92

I dont think I was a Closed-Beta tester....but I was in the Open Beta and used to post on the forums too ! :)

I remember those videos ' Binky' made...and our most beloved dev, Stieg!(?) :P

Interesting to see where it goes, I would love to join again :)

(Valouhet on the forums there)

• AmischAmisch Member Posts: 10

i dont remember there was a open beta? 

• DelovelyDelovely Member Posts: 92

Ok, then it was Closed-Beta ^^

I cant even remember how I got the key for it, just that I missed out on it quite often :P

I tested both the Nomad and Mystic I think, very fun :)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Since you guys tested the game,what was it like?I am 99.9% positive that Heatwave will do nothing but dissect the game for an item mall setup,so whatever you guys tested is the same game we will see 3 months from now.

Was it just wandering around grabbing quests?

Did the combat system have any unique features to it?

class system unique?

Crafting?

Is there any reason this game offers us something to look forward to that we have not already seen in every other game?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AmischAmisch Member Posts: 10

well, in the point of gameplay it was pretty similar to WoW. Running arround, grab quest, hit mobs, controll your minions like pets into battle and so on.

i never tryed crafting so i cant give any feedback about it. But i loved the ancient roman setting. The graphis and athmosphere was great and the mythical creatures too.

if they push the graphics to 2010 Standards, work on the minion system and do some other inovative stuff, it will be a very good mmo.

but lets wait for further informations from heatwave... i cant wait !  

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I also like the mythological scene,my hope for a MMORPG was a game that was similar to Jason and the Argonauts,somebody actually made that game but it was not a real MMO.

This what i like about a myth game :D

Jason vs Skeleton minions  Cyclops :D

Something like this is quite doable,developers have the ability to create studio type graphics/animations,these two examples are from the 60's,so they are most certainly doable.As you also notice[from the videos] ,you do not need any 50 vs 50 battles that the current trend of gamers seem to think we need to have some excitement in a game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• tinlartinlar Member Posts: 15

Having played in beta here are some things I was excited about.

Paired Animation:  When you punched someone, your fist hit them, and their had snapped back.  Not swinging a sword in air near a monster until it died. It wasn't yet perfect but it was so much better than any other MMO then and still now.

Squads: MMOs have struggled with specialization of classes versus playability.  G&H solved this with squads.  Your tank could be highly specialized to the point he needed a healer and even a DPS to be with him to accomplish things.  With Squads you always had your healer and DPS as close as the nearest camp site.  Want to run a Dungeon with some friends?  Find yourself one short friend short today?  Not a problem, bring an archer from your camp to fill in.  And lets not forget squad dancing!

Classes:  Really, whats the difference between a Death Knight, Paladin, Bear Druid, or Warrior in WoW.  When building a group do your really care?  Really?  Gods and Heroes classes each felt unique and important.  They didn't give an archer a gun and call it a new class.  This was probably easy for them to do because of Squads but still, most MMO's today the classes are so watered down the selection doesn't even matter.

Mythology:  So many games struggle with back drop.  This is what makes a game have feeling.  Games either have to build their own unique back drop (World of Warcraft) or license one (Warhammer).  The problem with building your own is that players go into it with nothing an you have to give them everything, which lets face it, asking your players to read 100 in game tomes of 10 pages each is lame.  Not many people actually read all the in game lore in today's MMO's.  The problem with licensing your Back Drop is it is ether expensive (Star Trek Online) or niche (Warhammer).  Niche is no good as for most players you might as well be building your own.  And expensive is ... expensive and then you run the risk of the fan boys constantly  saying that you made xxx monster wrong.  G&H solved this back taking a rich area of lore right out of the public domain and making a back drop out of it.  Stieg Hedlund was building this back drop in an amazing way and I find myself with great hope that he will return to the project.

Graphics:  Take a look at that dance video I linked above.  This is a video not from a new game coming out but a very old one that was canceled.  Walk around the bath house in Rome and you could read the graffiti on the walls (provided you could read the language).  I remember a friend putting on a new metal breast plate and there was a reflection in it.  Not just a shiny spot on it, I could actually see the reflection of my character in his breast plate.   Could the graphics be refreshed a bit before release?  Sure.  Could it be released right now and still offer better graphics than most MMOs in the market place today?  Absolutely.

Well that's enough rambling from me.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

I got a Beta key in some gaming magazine thats now gone I think. I only got to play it for a few days before shutting down servers. I had very high hopes and was mad when they stopped production. I think I'll shoot em an E-mail myself just to make sure they didn't forget about me!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

I got a key for being a forum member ... then had to go to like 8 magazine stands to get my wife a key so she could play.

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

hmm, i still have the pre-order (bought it the night before i read about the cancelation) wonder if they will honor it for the 'new' beta invites...

Somehow I highly doubt it, but I'm not overly concerned with whatever hoops I shall have to jump through to get into beta as I've always managed in the past.  What worries me are some of the things I've been reading about this game; like this little tid bit...

Heatwave CEO Anthony Castoro, "We're not going to try to go up against WoW and put it in a box and charge $15 [a month] for it."

Well fek all, because that's exactly what I want them to do!  Why would you not want to follow the model that has made so much money for Blizzard that if they wanted the could take a small portion of a months earning and have the earth gift wrapped while leaving enough money to have a giant ZUGZUG carved into the moon.

Beyond that what worries me even more than the barely subterfuged desire to make it a micropay system is the absolute deafening silence we have heard since the breath of life was given back to the title.  I mean it's been over two weeks and they don't even have a discussion forum up for the game yet.  Anyone with an iphone and a gmail account can have a discussion group up in about 3 seconds and ,inside of a week, have 1000's of raving internet loons talking all day about the oddly shaped spot on their kats arse but heatwave hasn't managed to offer a unified location for the fan base of their newly prized IP.  I'm sorry but the offical website's, "drop your email address here and we'll let you know when to send us money" approach to fan interaction isn't exactly up to par in today's MMO market.

• MafiasoMafiaso Member Posts: 7

Give it time, I remember Gods and Heroes before not getting a forum for the longest time. I had to wait awhile before there were forums to post on.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

Sounds great! Can I still have my Pre-Order Boar?

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

I am excited to hear that they are trying to bring back old testers.  I was a Core Tester and was very dedicated to the game.  I hope they bring that program back, it really helped me stay focused and made me feel even more connected to the game than any other beta ever did.

• serpentisserpentis Member Posts: 17

Wow, I thought this game was long gone...   Nice to see there trying to start it up again.  I was one of the original beta testers back in the day. 

Oddly enough, I remember seeing this game for sale at BestBuy a few times... even after they had closed down the servers.  I always got a kick out of that.  Wonder if anyone ever bought it...

Hopefully they will pick up all the original beta testers...  game was pretty fun, but wasn't much to it at the time.  It still looked pretty good for what it had.

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

Well it was only beta, the boxes were pre-order boxes most likely.  Because it was only beta I won't talk much about the game.  I'll only say I enjoyed testing it and thought it had great potential to be something fun and different.

The thing that really pulled me in were the developers and they way the communicated with the testers and people on the forum.  The forums were nice, too, and the community that was building was excellent.

I hope it all comes back, and that the game is made in its original concept, because it did look like they had something good going.   Although there were problems with the game, it was nothing that would make a developer ot pulisher throw their hands up and quit.  I always thought it was internal strife in Perpetual Entertainment that led to the downfall of Gods & Heroes.  After the Star Trak Online debacle, I was certain that this was the case.

• Amy571Amy571 Member Posts: 59

I was an old beta tester for this game, and I really thought that what they had could have evolved into something great, and looked forward to it. I was pretty disappointed when it got canceled. If they do bring us back to test the new product I will be quite happy.