Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall vs Mortal Online

I currently play Darkfall and love every second of this amazing game. I have heard that Mortal Online will be similar to Darkfall in many ways. My question is: What do you think of Mortal Online? How does the PVP stack up to Darkfall, which is in my opinion, the best PVP game I have ever played.

Thanks

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by segmentfault

I currently play Darkfall and love every second of this amazing game. I have heard that Mortal Online will be similar to Darkfall in many ways. My question is: What do you think of Mortal Online? How does the PVP stack up to Darkfall, which is in my opinion, the best PVP game I have ever played.
    Thanks

No content imho, DF wins hands down.

I tried MO for the first time the week before last and it was the exact opposite of what I personally would consider to be fun. My experience was frustrating, I encountered multiple hackers in a short period of time, and the pvp I engaged in was lackluster to say the least.

You swing at a ridiculously slow pace, which is apparently an intended feature, but it accomplishes nothing other than ensuring you become swiftly annoyed. The thieving/pickpocketing system is broken beyond all belief, you can literally spend a few hours mining to have some thief stroll up and lift everything from your pack, no PVP involved.

I didn't try crafting because I was so turned off by the game that I logged out after spending only a few hours testing. The game is in such an unfinished state that it puts a very bad taste in your mouth in a very short period of time.

DF has superior PVP to MO, there is no doubt in my mind about that.

I recently bought a second account for Darkfall and have been playing from the perspective of a new player , completely ignoring my main (who I have played since just after the launch of the game) and not providing my new character with any resources at all, and even without my high-end stats and skills/gear I still have a very hard time pulling myself away from the game.

DF has evolved into a very quality product and I would readily recommend it to any of my friends or family members who were interested in a FFA PVP Full Loot Sandbox.

I agree with your statement regarding DF, it is the best PVP game I have ever played. By far.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

post above it's correct.

To OP you herd correct. IF MO survives long enough it might become better then DF, but right now it's not even a game really. it's not even beta imo, it's alpha.

• jango1337jango1337 Member Posts: 217
    Originally posted by Kost

Thanks

I tried MO for the first time the week before last and it was the exact opposite of what I personally would consider to be fun. My experience was frustrating, I encountered multiple hackers in a short period of time, and the pvp I engaged in was lackluster to say the least.

You swing at a ridiculously slow pace, which is apparently an intended feature, but it accomplishes nothing other than ensuring you become swiftly annoyed. The thieving/pickpocketing system is broken beyond all belief, you can literally spend a few hours mining to have some thief stroll up and lift everything from your pack, no PVP involved.

I didn't try crafting because I was so turned off by the game that I logged out after spending only a few hours testing. The game is in such an unfinished state that it puts a very bad taste in your mouth in a very short period of time.

I recently bought a second account for Darkfall and have been playing from the perspective of a new player , completely ignoring my main (who I have played since just after the launch of the game) and not providing my new character with any resources at all, and even without my high-end stats and skills/gear I still have a very hard time pulling myself away from the game.

DF has evolved into a very quality product and I would readily recommend it to any of my friends or family members who were interested in a FFA PVP Full Loot Sandbox.

I agree with your statement regarding DF, it is the best PVP game I have ever played. By far.

qft

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Not that I'm defending MO because I don't care what happens with the game personally but is this even a resonable comparison at this point?  Barring the suckers that preordered the game isn't MO still in beta for an undetermined amount of time?  Why would anyone expect MO to be on par with Darkfall at this point?  If it was, what the hell would that say about Darkfall?

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• davmac22davmac22 Member Posts: 283

Darkfall hands down.  Mortal Online is the worst MMO I have played in recent times.  I have been in since block A and from my experience, Starvault is trying to do to many things at once.  When they have a problem and don't know how to fix it, such as the lag/desync/database issues, they do not know how to fix professionally as all their developers are unreal modders and not actually professional coders.  It is a bunch of kids out of college that wanted to make a game and are trying to throw something together hoping to make as much money as they can before release a broken and incomplete product.

Mortal Online is going to be the worst launch since Dark and Light.

imageimageimage

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Darkfall is a better game right now because it's been released for over a year and was in development far longer but MO should be a better game once SV gets their act together and have some good  funding to get all the content in.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Lets revisit this in about a year or so. Sandbox games tend to need time to evolve through due to the game relying heavy on the community to set several stages in its game mechanics.

You wouldn't judge DF against Eve why would you do it with MO?

Just be happy we have Sandbox games to play.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

Darkfall is a better game right now because it's been released for over a year and was in development far longer but MO should be a better game once SV gets their act together and have some good  funding to get all the content in.

I totally agree on this. Give them some time they dont have as much funding and resources as Darkfall does. But in the end I got a feeling MO will be better.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Once or do you mean "IF" ?

Right now, Darkfall is the way better game and I don't see a near future in which MO surpasses it.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

All I'll say is, people were treating Darkfall like MO back around late 08 I think.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Originally posted by tehikk

All I'll say is, people were treating Darkfall like MO back around late 08 I think.

No I was around in the early days of Darkfall and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as Mortal Online is.  I'm surprised there are so many people defending Mortal Online to be honest.

Originally posted by seniorfrito

No I was around in the early days of Darkfall and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as Mortal Online is.  I'm surprised there are so many people defending Mortal Online to be honest.

To tell you the truth i thought it was a lot worse...back then you really didn't wanna mess with darkfall fanbois and it was flame town on every single forum that mentioned the game. MO is a lot better in that area and is way way more mature in it's community that what darkfall was nearing launch.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

If SV can get it together and hire some people who can construct patches in a manner that works, they may in a year have a working game that has a solid amount of content.

However we seem to be comparing MO in a years time to Darkfall in its current state without taking into consideration the fact that Darkfall will also be updated and expanded upon in the coming year.

Darkfall has already shown a sneak peak of a few of its updates, and has said things such as the UI will be overhauled.

The only way I see MO going past Darkfall is if they somehow go into lightspeed update mode, and as it stands now, that will never happen.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

The Darkfall forums were some of the most entertaining forums I have ever seen on my days on the internet.  It was downright hilarious from the level of flaming that was allowed to go on those boards to some of the most ridiculous notions I have ever seen players want available in a game.

The shit was classic on those boards.  Was always good for a laugh however unintentional it usually was.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• jango1337jango1337 Member Posts: 217

To tell you the truth i thought it was a lot worse...back then you really didn't wanna mess with darkfall fanbois and it was flame town on every single forum that mentioned the game. MO is a lot better in that area and is way way more mature in it's community that what darkfall was nearing launch.

are you kidding have you been to the MO forums or irc? you say one bad thing about "the SV gods" they zerg you down.

Originally posted by jango1337

are you kidding have you been to the MO forums or irc? you say one bad thing about "the SV gods" they zerg you down.

Nowhere near what was going on in the darkfall forums, on MO forums people atleast have good discussions going on.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

We need to give SV the same time frame to get their game finished as we did AV. So we'll talk again in 2018!

Seriously though, DF was a joke at launch, yes I was there. But they quickly improved the game until you have what you see now. Problem with MO is that it's still in an Alpha state but treated like an Open Beta/pre-launch product which it's obviously not. SV should NEVER have brought this "game" out in the open in this state. All the gullible people who paid for this Alpha Testing are crying to the heavens to "fix this mess!" creating more problems because they are rushing out patches and fixes that are causing other issues. If they had kept the Alpha testing in-house or like DF did their CB then we wouldn't see all these issues IMO. How they thought this was a good idea I will never understand.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

Kind of off topic but every single sandbox out there is made from indie devs and each one of them didn't have a good start, it just makes me wonder how sandbox games would be the next big thing if a developer like blizzard would make one...sigh, here's to hope.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Kind of off topic but every single sandbox out there is made from indie devs and each one of them didn't have a good start, it just makes me wonder how sandbox games would be the next big thing if a developer like blizzard would make one...sigh, here's to hope.

UO was created by EA/Origin both of which were far from indie developers. Back on topic, having played both DF was in way better shape at the current point MO is at. Lets hope MO will improve quite a bit more before they launch.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

FE had a good start. :) Or let's say "average start", the only annoying problem was the lag during the first one or two weeks.
    To compare DF and MO though, I guess you have to wait half a year and then try.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• Both were made by inexperienced game developers. Both lack substance in game play. Both have large barren empty worlds. Both allow for major exploits of the game due to the amount of processes handled client side. Both games are poor attempts at recreating Ultima Online. Both games have/had very disappointing betas. Both games offer nothing but a gankfest of newbies without any thought or consequence. Darkfall has a 3rd person view. Mortal online has flopping penises every where. I'm going to go with neither is worth their cost since both remind me of playing Doom back in 1993.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827
    Originally posted by jango1337

Originally posted by Kost

Thanks

qft

I agree Darkfall is a very good mmo with free for all pvp no doub about that.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

Originally posted by vmoped

UO was created by EA/Origin both of which were far from indie developers. Back on topic, having played both DF was in way better shape at the current point MO is at. Lets hope MO will improve quite a bit more before they launch.

Cheers!

Origin was indie, EA bought them out later.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Wasn't darkfall full of hackers, and lacking content when it started beta? I mean it was in development for what 10 years? How long has mortal been in development? Darkfall came out and people shunned the game because of all of the broken systems, and macroing people, now it evolved into a game where quite a few people think its the best game ever. Mortal online is still in beta and people are saying "Darkfall is so much better because it doesn't have lag and it isn't buggy" . Well darkfall has been out quite a while now, and had time to be refined, whereas mortal has been in beta for quite a while since they don't want to release a game that is buggy and laggy. Honestly if mortal ends up getting to the point darkfall is at in terms of solid gameplay and refined bugs, I think it could be a hell of a lot better.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by vmoped

Cheers!

Origin was indie, EA bought them out later.

Origin was "indie" in that they were not beholden to a large mega publisher. However  they had far more experience in making games by the time UO rolled out than AV or SV have when making their respective games. Do not confuse "indie" with "inexperienced".

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...