Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

June Version Update ~ lvl 99 cap begins by 8 w/ each Abyssea!

KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Was recently revealed live at Vanafest....Holy Shit...

Each of these Visions of expansions will do the following to the level cap and /sub cap:

• Vision of Abyssea ~ Level cap increase from 75 ~ 83, and /sub level cap from 37 ~ 41
  • Scars of Abyssea ~ Level cap increase from 83 ~ 91, and /sub level cap from 41 ~ 45
  • Heroes of Abyssea ~ Level cap increase from 91 ~ 99, and /sub level cap from 45 ~ 49

Abyssea is a parallel world existing beside Vana'diel. A land fraught with perils, Abyssea is home to savage hordes of heretofore unseen creatures. Ferocious, towering NMs, new-look HNMs—even the garden varieties will confound would-be challengers with their unfamiliar and formidable powers. These and a whole host more await hapless adventurers with open arms and voracious maws.

Comments

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578

I sincerely hope you are kidding.

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Let us know anything you hear about FFXIV as well please!

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Nope not kidding...they showed videos of it, and WHM using convert and refresh...awesome!

• Naturalist99Naturalist99 Member Posts: 182

I have to admit thats quiet exciting for all the current lvl 75ers, but this is gonna make the game that much more annoying for all the newcomers, seeing as its not im gonna pick a job at the begining of the game and grind to 75 type game, you have to constantly lvl multiple jobs to get ur favered job up, then multiple more up, this can take many months if you really grind and play lots and can find groups fast, and if not this can take a year+

MMOs played: Too many
    Watch List: FFXIV, CoH:GR, GW2, SWTOR, TERA, Earthrise

Well if anything, to repopulate the world of Vana'diel beyond what its already at...this is quite a grand step in the right direction!

Originally posted by Naturalist99

I have to admit thats quiet exciting for all the current lvl 75ers, but this is gonna make the game that much more annoying for all the newcomers, seeing as its not im gonna pick a job at the begining of the game and grind to 75 type game, you have to constantly lvl multiple jobs to get ur favered job up, then multiple more up, this can take many months if you really grind and play lots and can find groups fast, and if not this can take a year+

I am actually more worried about how they are going to change the merit system.  Also, wonder what they going to do about relic weapon/armor and mythic weapons.  If raising the cap to 99 it means they need to rebalance the whole game and also adds level 75+ skills to all the jobs?

That decision really don't sound like SE, even though it is rather exciting.  Post more info as they come up please, this is one of those changes that could potentially make or break the game.

• Naturalist99Naturalist99 Member Posts: 182

It  could be a make or break, but I think SE is doing this to keep the game populated before FFXIV so both games can exist, since they will be very different. They know that the sub nubmers WILL go down as the release to FFXIV gets closer as many will transion over, so they want to keep FFXI alive and not trash it, i liek this decision, if they didnt make a big decision to catch fans and old players attentions, then this ame probably would die a year after FFXIV's release. 

MMOs played: Too many
    Watch List: FFXIV, CoH:GR, GW2, SWTOR, TERA, Earthrise

Before the lvl cap announcement, a new upgrade and quest system was shown and you can augment relic and mythic weapons and gear!

Originally posted by Khrymson

Before the lvl cap announcement, a new upgrade and quest system was shown and you can augment relic and mythic weapons and gear!

+1 was not all that easy, and now we got additional upgrades.  As much as I have faith in SE, they have just basically added another a year or two worth of work for FFXI players.  I guess that can be both a good thing and a bad thing depend on how you want to look at it. LOL

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

... I always find that complaint, that you have to "level multiple jobs in FFXI" as a funny thing. People will readily, even gleefully in some cases, level alts in other MMOs to the same effect - have different jobs/classes to play. And that's considered "normal". Have a job system in a game like FFXI, which accomplishes pretty much the same thing (but with benefits, which I'll get to) except on the same character and people complain about it.

Here's why there's benefits to FFXI's handling..

1. You get to become known as your character... not as your job/class. It sounds weird, but it helps a lot in the context of community and people knowing who you are. Not good for people who are serial jackasses, as they can't "escape" their reputation by simply changing to another character (unless they want to go through starting from scratch)

2. You don't have to repeat quests over and over. Quests and other achievements are tied to the character... not he job. Leveling a new job simply means leveling a new job, not having to go through the same routine over and over again.

3. A lot more flexibility in playstyle overall, thanks to the subjob system.

So... yeah... just always find it odd when people describe leveling multiple jobs in FFXI as a bad thing, when leveling multiple characters is the norm in other games.

As for the time frame of getting a job to 75, it hasn't required a year in a long time... unless you're simlpy not focusing on it that much (and focusing solely, or mostly on leveling jobs in XI probably meansother important areas are being ignored, to the player's detriment). Also, why does taking a year to get to level cap = a bad thing? What's the hurry? Do you realize how much else there is to do in XI that doesn't require you being even near level cap, much less at level cap? More than some realize.

It took me several years to get my first 75.. Why? Because I wasn't focused entirely on leveling one job. I worked on multiple jobs, did quests, missions, crafted, etc. etc. And I had a ball. I never once felt I was "grinding"or "missing out" because I "wasn't at level cap". Plenty others  approach the game the same way and are still having fun, even 7+ years after its launch.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

I honestly did not see this coming since for years SE said they would not raise the cap. But I'm very excited with this announcement (Time to get War up to 49 for Pld sub). Though at first I thought the cap would have only went to 80 but 99 does sound like a Final Fantasy game. I really need to find my token now and get cracking on my Pld and War since I pretty much quit Drk.

So much for FFXI closing this year(sarcasm). I'm so psyched now I might not even bother with FFXIV.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Level 99? Seriously? Wow, am I glad I quit this game long ago. Heck, I never made it to 75, let alone 99! Wow. Good luck with that, you guys! Hope it's worth it...

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701
    Originally posted by Miles-Prower

Level 99? Seriously? Wow, am I glad I quit this game long ago. Heck, I never made it to 75, let alone 99! Wow. Good luck with that, you guys! Hope it's worth it...

Oh it is worth it! Also now might be a good time to come back because they will be doing server mergers.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106
    Originally posted by Lexin

Oh it is worth it! Also now might be a good time to come back because they will be doing server mergers.

Server mergers? That just sounds and smells like death to me. Believe me, I have a good sense of hearing/smell being a fox and all! But in all seriousness, I've long sense forgotten my account info. The ridiculous log in system they had back then was a nightmare. Not to mention, I only had the Chains of Promathia expansion on my account.

No, I think I'll just wait for the new Final Fantasy to come out. Back to my cubby hole to curl up and sleep through the year =P

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by WSIMike

... I always find that complaint, that you have to "level multiple jobs in FFXI" as a funny thing. People will readily, even gleefully in some cases, level alts in other MMOs to the same effect - have different jobs/classes to play. And that's considered "normal". Have a job system in a game like FFXI, which accomplishes pretty much the same thing (but with benefits, which I'll get to) except on the same character and people complain about it.

Here's why there's benefits to FFXI's handling..

1. You get to become known as your character... not as your job/class. It sounds weird, but it helps a lot in the context of community and people knowing who you are. Not good for people who are serial jackasses, as they can't "escape" their reputation by simply changing to another character (unless they want to go through starting from scratch)

2. You don't have to repeat quests over and over. Quests and other achievements are tied to the character... not he job. Leveling a new job simply means leveling a new job, not having to go through the same routine over and over again.

3. A lot more flexibility in playstyle overall, thanks to the subjob system.

So... yeah... just always find it odd when people describe leveling multiple jobs in FFXI as a bad thing, when leveling multiple characters is the norm in other games.

As for the time frame of getting a job to 75, it hasn't required a year in a long time... unless you're simlpy not focusing on it that much (and focusing solely, or mostly on leveling jobs in XI probably meansother important areas are being ignored, to the player's detriment). Also, why does taking a year to get to level cap = a bad thing? What's the hurry? Do you realize how much else there is to do in XI that doesn't require you being even near level cap, much less at level cap? More than some realize.

It took me several years to get my first 75.. Why? Because I wasn't focused entirely on leveling one job. I worked on multiple jobs, did quests, missions, crafted, etc. etc. And I had a ball. I never once felt I was "grinding"or "missing out" because I "wasn't at level cap". Plenty others  approach the game the same way and are still having fun, even 7+ years after its launch.

Whilst I understand what you're saying (and I agree that the system is conceptually a very good one) FFXI's subjobs are, in reality, extremely unflexible due to what parties demand of players in order to accept them. In other MMOs players level alts in classes that they enjoy, they don't need to ever play a class they dislike. The result in FFXI is that, if you want to get into a party, the majority of players have to level a subjob they absolutely hate in order to be able to play the one they like. Almost everyone in my LS hated NIN but they had to level it to sub on their main jobs. I just hated NIN enough to refuse to ever level a job that was expected to have it subbed... I'm pretty sure that's why SE is scrapping the system and going with something a lot more flexible for FFXIV.

Now that they're adding another 24 levels though I'm worried the game will be simply too far gone for new players to actually ever catch up. They'd be better off waiting for FFXIV since they'd never cap 99/49 or get any meaningful amount of content done before it launches.

Updated the OP with new info!

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

The new avatars are a little disappointing since they can only be summoned in astral flow... although Odin instantly kills everything (non-NM) in the vicinity when you summon him so I guess astral burning just got a whole lot easier.

I'll be interested to see how PUPs fare now that they have an A rank hand to hand skill though.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Glad a lot of people like it.  There must be more people who wanted this than not for it to be implemented. 

l After 6 years of playing constantly supporting this game, and being responsible for bringing in  16 players to it who are still playing,  I deleted my characters  tonight.  75 DRG, BST, WAR, WHM, SMN, SAM, DRK and 4 mules. 

The fact and feeling  I was able to come back to FFXI and feel like I could enjoy the game because I felt satisfied and complete with leveling is no longer going to be there.

The only reason I returned year after year was the fact I could come back and always feel complete. 

It was fun and the best mmorpg I have ever played by far and made some friendships that got me past a lot of tough  times in life and were also part of the good times.  Fathers and grand parents death,  my surgery, depression, college graduation,  a lot of these friends I met became real life friends as well. 

I really have no words to describe the anger I feel towards SE for this update at the moment. Its the last I deal with this company. 

Whilst I understand what you're saying (and I agree that the system is conceptually a very good one) FFXI's subjobs are, in reality, extremely unflexible due to what parties demand of players in order to accept them. In other MMOs players level alts in classes that they enjoy, they don't need to ever play a class they dislike. The result in FFXI is that, if you want to get into a party, the majority of players have to level a subjob they absolutely hate in order to be able to play the one they like. Almost everyone in my LS hated NIN but they had to level it to sub on their main jobs. I just hated NIN enough to refuse to ever level a job that was expected to have it subbed... I'm pretty sure that's why SE is scrapping the system and going with something a lot more flexible for FFXIV.

I have never leveled a job I didn't want to, I don't care what others expect. They're not paying my sub.

I've heard plenty about how I "need to level NIN" and "need to level WHM" and all this... I tried NIN... got it to 14 and hated it and decided I would never level it. Tried WHM and found it's not my playstyle. I'll likely never level WHM, unless I decide it's beneficial enough for me to put the time in and find it worth that time. Conversely, I leveled DRG when it was still "lolDRG" because I enjoyed the job and didn't care what other said about it. I got parties, I leveled and got it to 75.

You dont' "have" to level anything you don't want to in XI. Half of the people who've told me "You need to have NIN sub" couldn't tell me *why*... they're just repeating what everyone else told them. And frankly, anyone who relies on specific character setups and specific party setups in specific areas fighting specific mobs in order to succeed doesn't know the game as well as they might like to believe. Anyone can follow a cake recipe. The people who truly know the game well are those who can take a group that isn't the expected cookie-cutter setup and make it work well... and there are a number of people who do just that.

Recently, someone told me I'd need to level NIN if I wanted to get high level parties on Monk. BS. I asked them why... they said "Because you can't take damage as a DD with Monk/Samurai". I said "if I'm purely a DD, I shouldn't be taking very much direct damage - unless I'm overdoing my job or the tank isn't doing theirs. I don't need NIN sub on Monk".

I don't level jobs because I'm "expected to". I level them because I want to and enjoy them. Been in this game for 7 years now, since its US launch on PC... NIN is still 14, and I'm doing just fine.

If the lemmings want to follow the crowd and do things because "everyone else expects them to", that's their right. I  prefer to spend my sub money play the game in a way that I enjoy.

Put the blame where it belongs. FFXI does have a very flexible job system... The people are inflexible in declaring "how you're supposed to play it".

Now that they're adding another 24 levels though I'm worried the game will be simply too far gone for new players to actually ever catch up. They'd be better off waiting for FFXIV since they'd never cap 99/49 or get any meaningful amount of content done before it launches.

There are people who started with the US launch - have been playing almost straight through - and haven't completed a lot of the content that's there now. I know people with multiple 75s who haven't even touched WoG or finished CoP yet - yet they're having fun and keep playing. More content is simply more content. There are games where the levels are, literally, over 200. Players reach those levels, on multiple characters even. It'll be fine.

The quip I have with increasing cap right now is that it just doesn't seem necessary. They've been expanding the game laterally for years and it's done fine. Not sure why they feel they need to increase cap to make the challenges more challenging.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

Originally posted by Lexin

Server mergers? That just sounds and smells like death to me. Believe me, I have a good sense of hearing/smell being a fox and all! But in all seriousness, I've long sense forgotten my account info. The ridiculous log in system they had back then was a nightmare. Not to mention, I only had the Chains of Promathia expansion on my account.

There were 34 servers... now there will be 26. I don't smell "death" at all. LoTRO has 11 servers and is doing well... WAR has 6 servers... it's... well... doing. These are games that came out in the last couple years. FFXI is 8 years old, is only now doing merges and will still have well more than 20 servers. Is it "slowing down"? Sure. However, "dying"? No. I think it's doing just fine.

No, I think I'll just wait for the new Final Fantasy to come out. Back to my cubby hole to curl up and sleep through the year =P

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

IMO it is a sad lame gimmick to get players to buy all three packs.They most likely had horrible sales on the last 3 packs,they were awful.They have ruined the game with every single xpack,they added some nice new classes along the way,but ideas have ruined it like,bonus xp was a dumb idea,eliminated players playing in old zones,birds too easy but alienate BLM players.They should never alienate players who do not want to buy the xpacs.

Instead of concentrating their efforts on forcing players to buy xpacs,they should stick to developing content to keep players playing,not force them to buy or leave.This has been their trend for quite some time,if they follow this same marketing approach for FFXIV,they are going to piss off a lot of people.We might just see Guildwars benefit from Square Enix mistakes,i think both games may release close to the same time,GW's probably a couple months later.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• EffedupEffedup Member Posts: 35

I simply do not get the people that are so pissed off about these updates.  I mean, people are bitching because uber gear they have now may not be as good at level 99?  Don't want to invest time in getting a new, level 99 relic weapon?  DON'T.  Who is forcing anyone to do that crap now?  You got that gear for YOU, not for anyone else.  I mean, it's one thing to have pride in your gear, but if it comes to the point where people either want to /ragequit or /wrists over a better piece of gear coming out, then they really need to examine their lives.

I even heard someone complaining in /say about the CoP level caps getting lifted because it "cheapens their accomplishment".  Seriously?  Do people even comprehend how difficult it is to get groups together to do the CoP stuff anymore?  I'm not talking help with mission 8-4 or something, I'm talking freaking Promyvion-Holla.  Yeah, let me tell you, 4+ hours shouting for DD's at 4/6 in Jeuno, Whitegate, Sandoria and Bastok and still not getting anyone.  Yeah, THAT'S not broken.  What, because a person didn't start playing the game back in '04 and there were 10 billion CoP pick up groups forming every single day, they just don't get to experience that content?  You know, I'd like to go to Sea, too.  Now I finally will be able to...

The fact that they are releasing it as 3 separate expansions is kinda bitchy, but in the end it all works out.  Three $10 expansions or one $30 expansion?  Not a big deal at all.  I haven't even bought the Moogle or Shantotto mini expansions yet because I haven't finished Crystalline Prophecy (again, hard to get groups to do the mid level missions at this point).

All in all, people that are feeling betrayed, look at this from the point of view of someone that hasn't gotten all the endgame stuff done yet.  S-E had to do something to keep the game viable.  Hell, I'm betting we see a lot of people leave for FFXIV only to come back to FFXI because it's what they know best.  I'm really glad they are making the game more accessible.  Honestly, they should have been merging servers a year ago, and the CoP caps should have been lifted then as well, but hey, like with windowed mode, better late then never...

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193
    Originally posted by Effedup

I simply do not get the people that are so pissed off about these updates.  I mean, people are bitching because uber gear they have now may not be as good at level 99?  Don't want to invest time in getting a new, level 99 relic weapon?  DON'T.  Who is forcing anyone to do that crap now?  You got that gear for YOU, not for anyone else.  I mean, it's one thing to have pride in your gear, but if it comes to the point where people either want to /ragequit or /wrists over a better piece of gear coming out, then they really need to examine their lives.
    I even heard someone complaining in /say about the CoP level caps getting lifted because it "cheapens their accomplishment".  Seriously?  Do people even comprehend how difficult it is to get groups together to do the CoP stuff anymore?  I'm not talking help with mission 8-4 or something, I'm talking freaking Promyvion-Holla.  Yeah, let me tell you, 4+ hours shouting for DD's at 4/6 in Jeuno, Whitegate, Sandoria and Bastok and still not getting anyone.  Yeah, THAT'S not broken.  What, because a person didn't start playing the game back in '04 and there were 10 billion CoP pick up groups forming every single day, they just don't get to experience that content?  You know, I'd like to go to Sea, too.  Now I finally will be able to...
    The fact that they are releasing it as 3 separate expansions is kinda bitchy, but in the end it all works out.  Three $10 expansions or one $30 expansion?  Not a big deal at all.  I haven't even bought the Moogle or Shantotto mini expansions yet because I haven't finished Crystalline Prophecy (again, hard to get groups to do the mid level missions at this point).
    All in all, people that are feeling betrayed, look at this from the point of view of someone that hasn't gotten all the endgame stuff done yet.  S-E had to do something to keep the game viable.  Hell, I'm betting we see a lot of people leave for FFXIV only to come back to FFXI because it's what they know best.  I'm really glad they are making the game more accessible.  Honestly, they should have been merging servers a year ago, and the CoP caps should have been lifted then as well, but hey, like with windowed mode, better late then never...

You dont understand why people are so pissed off mainly because there are many many reasons why each individual person is pissed off. Me? The level cap increase, I  dont care at all about the gear issue. As I stated before the main reason I came back to FFXI every summer and winter brake was that I could always feel my progress was solid and was not going anywhere. I felt complete even though I lacked the gear, I didn't find it as important as having my jobs at max level, Take that away from me at a time in my life where I simply cannot afford the time to put into leveling once again and well, basically saying thanks for playing 6 years now here's a slap in the face. thats how I personally feel about it. FFXI was the ONLY mmorpg on the market that had yet not increased the level cap and was seemingly unique in the aspect that instead of adding more grind they added more content, now its nothing more than just another mmo in the bunch to me. 

You do have a very strong point though and the matter of fact is no one forced anyone to do anything in the game, you did it because you wanted to. 

The way I see it there are roughly 5 kinda players that this will bring about

1. Players A were looking forward to this and are happy about it.

2. Players B Want to see what happens and are unsure

3. Player C is unhappy and is going to complain but continue to play anyways.

4. Player D is going to complain and rage quit and come back at a later date.

5. Player E Is going to quit, delete all characters and leave the game for good.

Personally  after 6 years of FFXI I happen to now be player E. 

The 2 choices I honestly see here are.

#1 Accept it like it or learn to adapt to it.

#2 Quit. 

I pick #2

• EffedupEffedup Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Calintz333

FFXI was the ONLY mmorpg on the market that had yet not increased the level cap and was seemingly unique in the aspect that instead of adding more grind they added more content, now its nothing more than just another mmo in the bunch to me.

I completely understand what you are saying, but 75 wasn't the max level on FFXI since the beginning.  Some interesting stuff I found on ffxiclopedia.org:

December 2001:

• Beta released in Japan
    • Level cap 35
    • No crafting, chocbos, airships, or AH

May 2002:

• Japanese Launch
    • Level cap raised to 50
    • Advanced jobs released (BRD, PLD, DRK, BST, RNG, SMN)

September 2002

• Level cap raised to 55

November 2002

• Level cap raised to 60
    • AF added for 6 original jobs

May 2003

• Rise of the Zilart released
    • Level cap raised to 65
    • NIN, SAM, and DRG added
    • Nomad Moogles added (but they cost gil to use)

July 2003

• NA Beta released
    • Level Cap raised to 70
    • XP lost upon death hard capped at 2400
    • Players no longer get kicked from parties entering Mog House (LOL)

December 2003

• Level cap raised to 75

So you can see, from the release of the Japanese Beta it took them 2 years to get the level cap increased to 75.  Granted it's been 6+ years since the last level update, but still, it wasn't like the game came out from the beginning with the intention of 75 being the max level, I think they just decided to stop increasing it beyond that point to avoid having to adjust job abilities and spells, which I'm sure they had to tweak constantly when the level cap was going up every 3-6 months.  Besides, how boring must FFXI have been back in those days, you hit level 50 and then what?  No merits yet, no endgame stuff.  Shadow Lord was probably the hardest thing for anyone to do in those days, they didn't even introduce NM's until a year into the game LOL

I dunno, I totally respect your decision to quit, but honestly, given the fact that you say you played during breaks and such, I don't see how you could stand playing FFXI at all.  So much stuff in this game is a grind, even beyond the leveling aspect.  Just getting AF is a damn grind, farming for coffers.  Hell, back in the day when you had to compete with THF's picking coffers constantly before the "illusion" update to chests, I had a friend spend an entire day in Monastic Cavern trying to get his last piece of RNG AF while 2 THF's monopolized every spawn.  And camping NM's?  Any gear that's worth a crap either comes from an NM that has a huge window or a really really low drop rate.  Ask friend who is currently like 0/50 on his O.Kotes, or the guy I knew that was literally like 0/100 on the Leaping Boots until he gave up in a rage.  How about all the time people spend just waiting for Dynamis-Whatever to finally freaking start, or the hours and hours people spend farming popsets.  Camping HNMs...

This game is a grind in almost every way; at least, it always has been.  I mean, we really don't know much at this point.  If they're raising the level cap, then they have to be adding new, higher level camps as well.  Who's to say that the mobs in those areas won't be squishy like Colibri, or have a 100% EXP bonus? Getting 400 without a band or chain would really help speed up a 60,000 TNL.  Until we see what the updates hold, there's no point going off the deep end about it.  Not that you are, but a lot of people out there are.  I mean, people are literally running around screaming that S-E fucked them and how could they and all that, it's like they're planning a funeral.  It's just ridiculous.  Everyone needs to calm the hell down LOL

• ant211ant211 Member Posts: 54

i played ffxiv from 2003. i quit in 2007 because i didnt have the time or energy to carry on. the best part of the game was the level grind and getting to know other players on the way. now that the cap is going up, im tempted to come back for that experience again.