Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

45 Day Patch?

ItilosItilos Member CommonPosts: 39

So, what's this 45 day patch and rumor of a free trial coming? Maybe I'm retarded, but I can't seem to find a whole lot of info on this patch. It seems too late to get a Buddy Key, so I'm looking forward to the free trial if that's actually going to happen.

Any info would be appreciated greatly!

Played: EQ1, EQ2, WoW, WAR, EVE, LotRO, AoC, RoM, FoM, CoX, PotBS, GW, SWG, VG, PS, and others.

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

The 45 day patch is the huge carrot that Cryptic tossed out there to get fence sitters that would most like end their subscription AFTER the first 30 days to actually dig into their pockets and pay that month to see, 'THE PATCH"..   I believe the 45 day patch is "hyped" to consist content to correct everything.. Rumor has it, that it's going to fix all bugs, add content on all planets like Vulcan, and give PvE content to Klingon (this should be interesting), add ships and other playable factions maybe, oh.. and it contains the second coming of the Messiah.. 

Wait and behold the 45 day patch.. It's coming to a server near you.....

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

There is alot of upcoming changes to the game, i guess atleast some of them are going to be in that 45 day patch. Not sure if its really a 45 day deadline from release for the patch, or more like a +-1 week kind of thing. Anyway those changes are supposed to hit within the month May.

Upcoming changes:

1. Respecs

2. New klingon ships, more customiszation to current klingon ships.

3. (some)Klingon pve content for low and mid level.

4. Highend recurring 5 man content for both factions(not oneshot missions but repeatable, with epics and stuff, the usual).

5. Deathpenalty.

6. Variable difficulty of some form. Players get to choose how hard the missions they get are i guess(no details about this yet).

7. New PvP maps.

8. The usual fixes of stuff that is broken or imbalanced.

Maybe i forgot something, but thats what expected to hit us soonish. As you see no mention of a trial, didnt hear anything concerning that sorry. Maybe someone else is willing to give you a buddy key, i already gave mine out.

• ItilosItilos Member CommonPosts: 39

Hmm...okay, thanks. The one thing that makes me wonder is how they are going to put in Klingon PvE in a patch just a couple months in, when while in development they only got the PvP Klingon ready for release.

Maybe its was almost done prior to release?

Or maybe the outcome is going to be a disappointment, who knows. I haven't even played the game yet so I'm not one to say if the current content is lacking.

As for the no free trial, I'll just keep scrounging the interwebz on my knees for a Buddy Key. = )

Played: EQ1, EQ2, WoW, WAR, EVE, LotRO, AoC, RoM, FoM, CoX, PotBS, GW, SWG, VG, PS, and others.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

content=running the same instance over and over for 1000000 times.

The PvE Klingon content will most like be all the Federation content reskinned, with a few changes in text chat.. LOL

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by Itilos

Hmm...okay, thanks. The one thing that makes me wonder is how they are going to put in Klingon PvE in a patch just a couple months in

Go to Sector X...When you get to secor X Enter..A.fter entering Sector X find 5 Federation Ships and destroy them...Exit Sector X...Got to Secor Y...

I imagine that type of thing will be 75% of the Klingon PvE...Just guessing though...

Originally posted by Itilos

Hmm...okay, thanks. The one thing that makes me wonder is how they are going to put in Klingon PvE in a patch just a couple months in, when while in development they only got the PvP Klingon ready for release. Easy, klingons where not a priority, or even a equal faction. Startrek is 95% about the federation. Was a bit surprised they really even added a second faction at launch at all. And yeah, i think Cryptic can do regular content alot faster than other companies.
    Maybe its was almost done prior to release?
    Or maybe the outcome is going to be a disappointment, who knows. I haven't even played the game yet so I'm not one to say if the current content is lacking.
    As for the no free trial, I'll just keep scrounging the interwebz on my knees for a Buddy Key. = )

And yes, they can reuse alot of content from the fedaration side. A romulan research facility doesnt look any different just cause your running through it with a klingon instead of a fed. Same for the weapons or even the planets. They basicly only have to make up a story that makes sense from the klingon perspective.

Also they use the age old mmorpg developer trick of using the same endgame dungeons for different factions. So every new endgame content getting introduced will benefit the klingons as well, so they can profit a bit from the extra steam the feds have going.

• Maverz290Maverz290 Member Posts: 447

Klingon genesis content would probably be the opposite to liberate and aid missions, more like pillage and conquer. Could be fun, probably not though. Don't like how your forced to fly a bird of prey at first but thats just me.

I'd like to see how anyone can beat a team of five klingon carriers in a pvp match! That'd be interesting.

As for the patch... Yeah it'll be a few good things. The last patch was great with the Borg area stuff. The mission with Q interfering was on the nail.

Here's a sample, for those of you without the patience to get that far.

Objective: Aid the USS Gullermo.

You save him from the attackers.

Q appears... No no no!, That was shallow, now this time, with more feeling!

He snaps his fingers.

You warp back in after the trademark white flash and the objective appears...

Objective: Aid the USS Gullermo....With feeling.

You get the idea of where this goes, Q actually gets to the point and isn't a complete waste of time, but it is a break from the norm and is a good laugh.

Aslong as they keep up stuff like that, I'll play.

Longing for Skyrim, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3

Heh, just yesterday i had to do this mission where you have to aid a science station on some planet against klingons. So i go there, defeat the baddies in space, beam down and see ... klingons that was to be expected fighting ... stomping ... little brown balls!? WTF? My science officer then clears it up that the klingons are apparently attacking tribbles, and that we should do something as its just not right to do that to the helpless little critters(and we had to safe the headscientist ofc) :D.

Anyway, best mission so far. Especially when the head scientist later told us how the klingons destroyed the tribble homeworld with an orbial bombardment, and he wondered wether they still sing songs about the great tribble hunt :D.

Anyway, klingon content probably will tell the other side of the story, why the klingons hate the tribbles so much. Would be kinda interesting.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    Originally posted by Rocketeer

Heh, just yesterday i had to do this mission where you have to aid a science station on some planet against klingons. So i go there, defeat the baddies in space, beam down and see ... klingons that was to be expected fighting ... stomping ... little brown balls!? WTF? My science officer then clears it up that the klingons are apparently attacking tribbles, and that we should do something as its just not right to do that to the helpless little critters(and we had to safe the headscientist ofc) :D.

Anyway, best mission so far. Especially when the head scientist later told us how the klingons destroyed the tribble homeworld with an orbial bombardment, and he wondered wether they still sing songs about the great tribble hunt :D.

Anyway, klingon content probably will tell the other side of the story, why the klingons hate the tribbles so much. Would be kinda interesting.

So your idea of a good mission is when they rip off stuff from episodes of DS9? I see.

Actually, that seems to be how Cryptic thinks they can make a Star Trek game. Take part of Star Trek and copy it and change it a tad and make it not nearly as good as the thing they copied. Just look at all their starship designs.

Originally posted by Xondar123

So your idea of a good mission is when they rip off stuff from episodes of DS9? I see.

Actually, that seems to be how Cryptic thinks they can make a Star Trek game. Take part of Star Trek and copy it and change it a tad and make it not nearly as good as the thing they copied. Just look at all their starship designs.

Thats called paying homage. You know, this game is entirely based on the series and movies.

And yeah its full of citations and references to the series. And yes i like it that way, i also like meeting the son of rikers clone, hearing leonard nimoy congratulate me on levelup or seeing/meeting stuff/people from the series like the guardian of time, the defiant(original, not the class), Q or hear people talk about how their daddy/granpa/whatever had this adventure with prominent ST charakter etc.

I think what he's trying to say is that isn't very original and damn near close to borrowed plagiarism.  Granted I'm sure they had permission to copy content from shows and all.. However, as far as I'm concern, it was cheap copy and paste content.. How can you award people "content" awards when all they did was copy from what others already scripted in the TV series.. I think it's a joke..

Originally posted by Rydeson

I think what he's trying to say is that isn't very original and damn near close to borrowed plagiarism.  Granted I'm sure they had permission to copy content from shows and all.. However, as far as I'm concern, it was cheap copy and paste content.. How can you award people "content" awards when all they did was copy from what others already scripted in the TV series.. I think it's a joke..

You dont get it. That stuff is supposed to be like easter eggs. It was in no way essential to the mission, you didnt even see it if you just did the mission. Its a bit of funny trivia for trekkies that you see when you stay around after a mission and talk to the guys. And its not plagiarism, the game is based on the show. They took everything from it, the ships, the uniforms, the abilities, the history, everything. Thats the whole point of it. Calling it plagiarism is like accusing Voyager series of stealing from TNG Enterprise series, it makes no sense. There where plenty of quotes and references to other series in Voyager for example, thats how you do it.

Its not even playing in a alternate timeline or anything. This is in the prime timeline, obviously they have to make referenced to the show, cause thats the history the game is based on.

Besides they always give credit. The guy you talked wasnt pretending he made the story up. He was referencing a part of STs history.

Ha Ha.. you tell me I'm wrong, and with a few sentences you prove exactly what I said..  EVERYTHING is based on the show..  So many of the so called quest in the game are nothing more then a spin on a previous TV episode..  WoW, that takes a lot of hard work..  Lets go through the TV series archives and find episodes we can copy and paste with some minor changes and call it our content..  I wonder how long it will take Cryptic to come up with a quest where you as the captain are kidnapped by the borg and your away team has to come rescue you....  Original?  lol

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

The Tribble With Klingons missions was actually great. For anybody who saw the episode of DS9 and wondered what was going to happen after they brought that tribble back through time, this mission cleans the story up nicely. Just like the Romulan missions in Hobus, and the Klingon missions involving Eugenics. Just because he sarcastically said the same thing Odo said doesn't make it cheap or plagiaristic.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

The Tribble With Klingons missions was actually great. For anybody who saw the episode of DS9 and wondered what was going to happen after they brought that tribble back through time, this mission cleans the story up nicely. Just like the Romulan missions in Hobus, and the Klingon missions involving Eugenics. Just because he sarcastically said the same thing Odo said doesn't make it cheap or plagiaristic.

I haven't hit that one yet. So far I've loved what they have done to the universe such as Paris and torres daughter, Romulas, the Guardian of Forever, The Undine/Species 8472, etc.etc. How can you make a game based on Star Trek and then completely ignore everything that has happened with it? That just makes no sense. Giving occasional nods and continueing storylines is a nice treat for fans of the IP and makes the game more interesting than the usual boring grind that encompasses MMOs.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• weslubowweslubow Member UncommonPosts: 163

Actually what is going on is called having rights to the IP. They paid for those rights. Continuing story lines and following the IP is plagiarism? Seems like a good use of the IP to me. Crytic went to the Star Trek Wiki and looked up lots of stuff so they would follow the series, films, and books. That way they would follow the IP as well as they could. Those awards were given for faithfully following the IP rather than just making up whatever they wanted. That is what you do with rights to an IP.

They dont copy stories from the series, they more tell like what happened around it, you get a different view. Besides there are like what? Hundreds of episodes? Hardly possible to not have similarities even if you tried, which they dont.

And dont even bother dissing it. Those missions are among the most well received and complimented on, they come up in pretty much any "list your faviorite missions" thread. Far more often its the "unique" missions fans have problems with, cause they dont feel canon. And yeah, cryptic doesnt just have permission to use stuff from the series, they actually have the guys who helped make the series's give them advice and stuff, it was in one of the interviews.

So im sorry, this time you missed the whinetrain, its not driving from this station, maybe take another one?

• wolfingwolfing Member UncommonPosts: 149

I would love if they just translated every single episode of all the series in the game. I would have nooooo problem at all with that. 

Now, if they only added the difficulty slider today.

Thats called paying homage. You know, this game is entirely based on the series and movies.

And yeah its full of citations and references to the series. And yes i like it that way, i also like meeting the son of rikers clone, hearing leonard nimoy congratulate me on levelup or seeing/meeting stuff/people from the series like the guardian of time, the defiant(original, not the class), Q or hear people talk about how their daddy/granpa/whatever had this adventure with prominent ST charakter etc.

The stuff you mentioned can be said to be homages, the example you gave before blatantly rips off lines from the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations."

Originally posted by wolfing

I would love if they just translated every single episode of all the series in the game. I would have nooooo problem at all with that. 

Actually, my problem isn't so much that they copy stuff from the show, but that they do it poorly. Just look at the ships Cryptic designed, like the one that looks like a twisted Defiant, the one that looks like the Abramprise, their NX-91001 or whatever, etc. They don't look good, and instead of developing unique looking ships that you can tell are from Star Trek they copied existing ones. If they did the same thing with plots, i.e. copy classic Star Trek episodes, but they simply weren't as good then I don't see the point in playing the game over popping in a Star Trek DVD and watching a few episodes.

• wolfingwolfing Member UncommonPosts: 149

Originally posted by wolfing

Actually, my problem isn't so much that they copy stuff from the show, but that they do it poorly. Just look at the ships Cryptic designed, like the one that looks like a twisted Defiant, the one that looks like the Abramprise, their NX-91001 or whatever, etc. They don't look good, and instead of developing unique looking ships that you can tell are from Star Trek they copied existing ones. If they did the same thing with plots, i.e. copy classic Star Trek episodes, but they simply weren't as good then I don't see the point in playing the game over popping in a Star Trek DVD and watching a few episodes.

To me there is a big difference.  In one, you are watching actors doing stuff in the Star Trek universe. In the other, you are the protagonist, you are Jean-Luc Picard or Ben Sisko or James T. Kirk.

I don't have a problem with the episodes I've played so far, some I am indifferent at, some I liked and some I loved.  I do have lots of problems with the game, but the episodes in the game is not one of them.

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

So I am curious what you think of LOTRO then?

Easy.. LOTRO is a far superior game then STO..   :) 

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

Easy.. LOTRO is a far superior game then STO..   :) 

My point is if copying from episode ideas for STO is bad, what about Lotro and it's level of copying from Tolkien?