Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A little help?

I'm confused playing istaria a little. Basicly I choose mage/warrior and cleric as my schools and I'm not sure if this is an ok build or not. The other thing I'm not sure about is that when I swap my school to level do I put all the equipment on for the current school I have selected e,g if I switch from leveling mage to warrior do I take off my equipment and put on swords, shields etc?

Comments

• AywrenAywren Istaria CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 71

As I play a dragon and I'm only starting to learn about bi-ped adventurers, I'll attempt to answer your question the best I can.

Firstly, I don't think there is such a thing as a "wrong" build in Istaria. The game is all about experimenting with combinations until you develop a character that plays the way you like them to. Later, if you start leveling a school and you decide you don't want to keep a certain school, there's a quest you can do to completely remove a school from your character.

Certain skills you learn in one school may be mastered at particular levels, which means those skills will carry over even when you change your schools. There are weapon and armor requirements for each school, so you may want to check and see what those are. I've linked a page of the Istaria Wiki below that has a list of all the different schools you can play. Those pages will give you more in depth information on each school as well.

istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Schools

Hope this gives you a starting point. I'm still learning about bi-ped multiclassing, too! :)

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

can you join the prestige schools from the beginning of the game like the basics?

• AywrenAywren Istaria CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by Shari

can you join the prestige schools from the beginning of the game like the basics?

No. Each prestige school has certain skill requirements and generally require level 20 before you can switch.

For example, my Paladin required 200 skill in Two Hand Slash, 150 skill in Life. But also level 20 warrior and level 15 cleric.

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

I found a good post on the offcial forums that explains the schools and their requirements so I understand that alot better now:)

http://community.istaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13312

So you trade in your basic school for a prestige when you meet the requirements, is that how it works then?

• trieditalltrieditall Member UncommonPosts: 49

Sort of... you never trade your school in, you just change your school.  You will never lose anything in your school, most of the skills and abilities are just put on hold so to speak. But in fact some abilities carry over from one school to another.  I find it best to have one of the schools as cleric or healer so that I have healing abilities carry over to my fighter/mage.  Remember though, you should level up each school evenly so as to keep the XP in sync with eachother.  The more schools you level up, the higher your rating goes which reduces the XP for each kill.  If you are say rating 50, you will have much trouble going back and starting another school.  I remember when I used to play years ago, you could just get in a group and get points if you wanted to start another school later.  Now the mechanics are such that that player is targeted by the mobs.  As far as best combo of schools, that is a matter of opinion.  There are so many combinations it is almost overwhelming.  I suggest as a basic rule, only do 3 or 4 schools with one of them being cleric or healer.  Myself I have 3 schools, reaver/shaman/cleric.  I like the reaver/shaman combo because they both use area attacks and the area spells carry over to eachother.  This allows me to capitalize on the similar schools to the maximum by keeping the same tactics in either school. Good luck in your adventures, you will find a vast world with seemingly endless possibilities in the land of Istaria!