Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please Help monitor problem after installing new gfx card

DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

As the title says guys im at a loss i bought a new 500watt PSU and 9800GT card. I have had to puit my old card back in for now 8400gs so i can ask you kind ppl if you have any ideas why the damn monitor wont come on after i put the new gfx card into my case? Basically says no signal...look forward to response

Comments

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578

Depending on your system and the maker of the psu, I think 500 watt is a little lacking.  You don't want to have a powersupply that only barely runs on the system, but there are a few points to notice.

1.  The wattage on powersupply are usually more or less exaggerated except for more reliable and big name brands.  So 500 wattages sometimes might mean only 450 watts.

2.  Make sure you have enough amp on the +12v rail on the PSU.  You need enough amp on the +12v rail(s) to supply power to both graphic card and the system.  There should be a sticker on the side or on the box.  If there are multiple +12v rails just add the amp together and see if its enough.

I remember 9800GT need about at least 400 watts alone, and 26 amps on 12v rails.  Could differ depend on the maker.

If it is not a PSU issue, then I have no idea other than make sure the card is plugged in the slot properly, and also there should be another slot on the card for plugging the a 4 slot (square shaped) powerline into from the PSU.  (I don't remember the name of it, I am sleepy)

A system spec would help with these questions, but this is about the best I can do without actually seeing a system spec.

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

500w psu is more than enough for 9800 if it is a good one , did you plug power to 9800GT .

Remove and re-install your 9800gt  (may be not seated properly) ,it happened to me when i upgraded last time. I had to unplug electric cord from wall and wait a bit too ,strange things    may happen with pc stuff

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

1. Card might not be properly installed. Remove it carefully and insert it in again.

2. PSU is not able to put through enough power. (while today's PSUs do not have as huge differences as they had in the past, there are some with very poor quality.

3. Card might be faulty.

4. PSU might be faulty.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

just thought id let you know guys the card was infact faulty. I got a 250 GTS instead now. Anyhow thanks for your advice etc..

Don

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578

Well, its not often to get a faulty card. You got lucky, well unlucky.

However did you get a new power supply with it?  I am not sure the 500 watt power supply you listed earlier can run a 250 GTS without problems.