Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can BioWare Put The RPG Back in MMORPG?

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Good read and I think Bioware will do an excellent job.

www.tentonhammer.com/node/81438

Comments

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I think the GAME will be fantastic.

I think the game's GRAPHICS are f'd up.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I think the game will look better once you play it. That is my usual experience when playing Bioware games.

Anyway, onto the article, it's alright. One thing I have noticed though is his asking about raids. Does every mmorpg have to have raids? Is that a mandatory rule? I, for one, hope there is no such thing as a pve raid in SW:TOR

• omomeomome Member Posts: 203

Raiding in TOR has been confirmed for a long time now.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Well that's a pity.

• BannneBannne Member Posts: 244

Lotro has already put the RPG back into mmorpg and does a great job doing it.

GW2 will do the same,it's fully voiced and story driven,their is life outside swtor. The reason it's under hyped is because people are thinking of GW1 when GW2 is a fully blown mmorpg in a vast open world.

It has everything swtor has to offer and more.

www.guildwars2.com/en/

wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

"RPG" is great for single player games, if you're talking about reading some NPC dialog, being given a task, Kill X or FedX, doing that task, then going back to the NPC and he says, good boy, now go fetch my slippers.

If you change the story to save the Universe from the Death star by bringing back the plans from the R2 unit, it's still go fetch my slippers, but you just call the slippers "plans".

Which is fine in a single player game, but not that interesting in a Multi player game, IMO.

What would be interesting is if Bioware could bring back grouping to the MMORPG.

That would be fun.

• DragoshanDragoshan Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

"RPG" is great for single player games, if you're talking about reading some NPC dialog, being given a task, Kill X or FedX, doing that task, then going back to the NPC and he says, good boy, now go fetch my slippers.
    If you change the story to save the Universe from the Death star by bringing back the plans from the R2 unit, it's still go fetch my slippers, but you just call the slippers "plans".

Which is fine in a single player game, but not that interesting in a Multi player game, IMO.
    What would be interesting is if Bioware could bring back grouping to the MMORPG.
    That would be fun.

I see alot of people bashing the current MMO mechanics, ie the FedX type quests, the NPC dialogues etc and while I agree to some extent that they are getting old and repetitive I also wonder what do you really want to see in a new MMO? What does innovation mean to you? What do you hope TOR will do differently? These are all valid questions, no trolling or sarcasm intended, I trully am curious. Some examples won't hurt either.

That would be fun.

Aye that i can agree on,bring back grouping or devs stop promoting their games as mmorpg.

Games like swtor should have they're own category and not charge people for what is a single player game with multiplayer co-op because that's what this game is looking like to me and many others.

• DragoshanDragoshan Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Bannne

That would be fun.

Aye that i can agree on,bring back grouping or devs stop promoting their games as mmorpg.

Games like swtor should have they're own category and not charge people for what is a single player game with multiplayer co-op because that's what this game is looking like to me and many others.

May I also get the free trial you're playing please so  I can form my own oppinion too? Thanks mate.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Its amazing, you haven't even played the game, have only seen a few images of it from the company, and a few mpg's from their website, somehow you think you can actually judge anything.

I'm real sick of the doomsaying.

YOU DON'T KNOW AND NO MATTER HOW MANY WAYS YOU TRY TO JUSTIFY IT, YOU'RE JUST TROLLING.

Its time to grow up, people. You know very well that these games are very different when you actually get to play them yourselves. They always are. Thats why I had the brains to actually try out WoW instead of just looking at the graphics and saying "bunch of anime garbage badly done". Once I tried the game, I hated it but not because of the graphics (though I have never liked that style of artwork, it was tolerable). I hated it because the game was a game on easy mode with some of the worst behaved people I have ever seen. I will not play the game again.

So how about this... before you go all doom and gloom on it, HOW ABOUT YOU TRY IT?

And for gods sakes, stop trying to scare people away from the game.

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

Bioware will either do well, or stand as the second King of MMOs... at least that is my opinion.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• MavisPMavisP Member Posts: 181

This may be the game to get me to purchase an MMO. This hasnt happened since 2008 so maybe its gonna happen in 2011? Not optimistic as much as thinking the odds are in my favor after what will soon be two dry years. If not, single player games are really pretty good these days.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Dragoshan

That would be fun.

I see alot of people bashing the current MMO mechanics, ie the FedX type quests, the NPC dialogues etc and while I agree to some extent that they are getting old and repetitive I also wonder what do you really want to see in a new MMO? What does innovation mean to you? What do you hope TOR will do differently? These are all valid questions, no trolling or sarcasm intended, I trully am curious. Some examples won't hurt either.

This isn't really about tor, but in general,

I want to see quests actually be quests and not menial tasks. I remember back in daoc, having to travel all over the world, looking into a conspiracy going on, finding out why the land is dying, etc. They were part of an epic quest, with good rewards. The book system of lotro is nice for quests too. These are actually quests to me.

I just hate the leveling mechanic of quests (menial tasks) that all the games do now. Go get me 10 rat whiskers and 5 snake skins and I'll give you a shiny silver coin!

When I finished a quest, I felt a sense of accomplishment, but now with these tasks, it is just a grind that makes me not what to play.

Your right,as of now all we have to go on is what the devs are saying, quotes like "the ENTIRE game is solable" or after you have level one toon you can make another just so you can hear their story,errm right.

Don't worry though because as soon as beta starts that's when we will know what type of game swtor is, tthe beta leaks will see to that.

Make no mistake, if the devs are twisting the truth the leakers will expose them in all they're glory.

That would be fun.

I know TOR is going to be a heavily instanced game. AND I know you can hire henchmen.

If I want to play almost entirely inside instances, with NPC henchmen, then how do I even know I'm not playing a single player game?

The only thing I can hope for in that scenario is TOR does something to seriously encourage grouping, because playing an MMORPG in groups is fun.

If it turns out grouping is just sort of an optional thing you do every few levels, or once in a while to beat  a boss mob, but it's really not that much a part of the game, I don't think it will be that much fun.

UNLESS, the game is as good as KOTOR, which was a single player game, but lots of fun.

Maybe that's the idea. Make an MMORPG tthat's a single player game, like WoW, except as fun as KOTOR.

Then, when you finish the single player part of the game, you go raid I guess, and that's the reason to have it online.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

It may be putting the RPG back in MMORPG, but it seems to be doing it by removing the MMO part, which seems a bit counter productive as we already have great single player RPGs /=. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

I wasn't aware the RPG had ever left. RPG is a loose term. You have RTS RPG, Adventure RPG, Turn Based RPG, etc.

If you mean whether or not Bioware can bring back the traditional "Hey! I rolled a 20; everything dies!" mentality, then yes, I suppose they could as Bioware is pretty good with that sort of RPG.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Imhotep, no, we know the game is going to have instanced areas. Nowhere have they said "heavily instanced".

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

I think SW: ToR is going to have instanced areas similar to AoC. Areas that are "Single player" instances, in which the player extends the story line in his own way.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

In reference to the OP's title question:: No. Only the players can put the RPG back into MMORPG.

Most of the current crop of MMO players don't WANT to roleplay. They don't want story, they just want the XP and the phat loot. They don't identify with their character, their faction, their race, or anyone other than the people they're on vent / TS with.

They simply don't have the attention span, or the desire to actually immerse themselves in the game.

Doesn't matter how many tools there are in a game if the players simply choose not to use them.

• PerkunasPerkunas Member Posts: 27

All they've talked about is the bloody story! It's driving me insane as I want to know how the actual MMO portions of the game are going to work. One can only hope they decide to make the game challenging instead of having everything handed to you on a silver platter. I want the return of XP debts and temp stat reductions when I die. Raids that don't have to foster the illusion of difficulty via limited attempts and timers. Just make the boss/es stronger don't punish the trial-by-fire guilds. Lastly, PVP needs to be EPIC with gigantic battles and base assaults. None of this 3 on 3 in a small area as the name suggests it's Star WARS it doesn't feel like a war if there's 6 of us running around in a little box.

My word and world holds ground and is real
    Your word is like floods of poisoned water
    A language spoken with spit from different tongues
    More of my unwanted opinions

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Darkfall.

I cannot stand quest grinding....or being forced into a character role.....or being led on rails from one zone to another. I like the freedom to go where I want, be what I want to be, explore, and kill what / whom I wish.

Open sandbox games excel at this. I never do quests.....yet I always have something to do. Playing Darkfall is a lot like what Tolkien always said about leaving your own doorstep....you just never know where you may end up.

I honestly doubt, that as "good" as TOR might be in the themepark MMORPG sense, that it can deliver this kind of unpredictible excitement and freedom. In fact, based on dev interviews ( and their determination to control the story), I can pretty much guarantee that it won't.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

That would be fun.

I know TOR is going to be a heavily instanced game. AND I know you can hire henchmen.

If I want to play almost entirely inside instances, with NPC henchmen, then how do I even know I'm not playing a single player game?

The only thing I can hope for in that scenario is TOR does something to seriously encourage grouping, because playing an MMORPG in groups is fun.

If it turns out grouping is just sort of an optional thing you do every few levels, or once in a while to beat  a boss mob, but it's really not that much a part of the game, I don't think it will be that much fun.

UNLESS, the game is as good as KOTOR, which was a single player game, but lots of fun.

Maybe that's the idea. Make an MMORPG tthat's a single player game, like WoW, except as fun as KOTOR.

Then, when you finish the single player part of the game, you go raid I guess, and that's the reason to have it online.

Aside from the flashbacks which will obviously be instanced, Do we have any information that states the game will be heavily instanced. And you can only have 1 npc with you at anytime.

If grouping is fun then group..its what I plan to do even if you can solo the game that doesn't mean you HAVE to solo. It's a choice. 

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Maybe but only if you like casual and mainly solo and instanced game in mmo.

This will be a hand on a silver plate mmo so i doub it will be any good mmo unless you want lower standard mmo's hit the market?

I think and hope bethesda will bring us back to rpg part in mmo more faith in them then bioware/EA.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

Originally posted by Jimmy562

That would be fun.

Aside from the flashbacks which will obviously be instanced, Do we have any information that states the game will be heavily instanced. And you can only have 1 npc with you at anytime.

If grouping is fun then group..its what I plan to do even if you can solo the game that doesn't mean you HAVE to solo. It's a choice. 

This is what I've read, so correct me if I'm wrong.

The game has multiplayer dialog. So, you get in a group. Then you go to an NPC and get a quest.

The NPC says go get me the cargo on this ship.

You go to the ship, and you meet the captain. The captain says we're being attacked, we have to turn back!

So you have to choose, turn back, or kill the captain and keep going.

Every player in the group gets the choice:

Kill captain or turn back?

Majority rules. I don't know what happens in a tie, I didn't see them discuss that.

If you have 5 players, and 3 pick kill captain, then you get one scene and that's your mission. LIke you attack the captain, but all the crew come to his defense.

If you pick don't kill the captain, then you turn back, and you have to fight the guys that sent you on the mission.

I don't know how you could do that without instances?

Do you think you'll be able to walk in on players playing either one of those scenarios? Like, you're not in the group but you can follow them as they attack the captain, or turn back?

I don't see how.

"If grouping is fun then group".

That's like telling the Olympic skaters, well, who cares about the medal? If skating is fun then skate! Just go outside on a lake, ti's the same thing, because you're skating right?

Obviously it's not quite as fun if it's pointless.

I mean, you go into a restaruant and there's a pie eating contest. You might enter to see if you can win!

Or you could just go in a restaurant and eat as muck pie as you can.

Same thing right? No, not really.

I"m not saying pointless grouping, or just eating one piece of pie isn't fun, but it's not as fun if there's actually a point to it.