Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Star Trek Online Review

1235»

Comments

  • dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

    What's interesting about the review is the lack of addressing the game's community. Granted the game is new so it won't have much of an actual people community yet, but what about the functions or dynamics of the game that foster community?

     

     

  • MasoniclightMasoniclight Member Posts: 87

    The continued hate for STO amazes me... let me tell you something. When I was running Klingon missions, my stout little cruiser flew into the mission and soon I had to face three Neg'Var battleships and three Bird of Prey. All of them were +2 to me and I had no one else to rely on, no one was teamed with me. I had to really think tactically about how I was going to complete this mission successfully. Wow, a game that actually makes you think about TACTICS! I wheeled around to the farthest left flank I could and made sure to isolate one of the birds of prey. If I could hit him hard before his friends came along I wouldn't be as vulnerable.. I used high yield torps (a great BO skill) and proceeded to smack his shields with my phasers simultaneously.. I put him in a world of hurt but I turned to make him follow me and to let my fore shields come back. I dropped mines as he pursued me. His friends finally came to bear and only thanks to some well timed Engineering crew repairs kept me going. I used some of the asteroids there as cover.. it was cat and mouse for a while. Finally I eliminated the BoPs...  I had taken damage, lost crew, shields were hurting. I got my second wind and proceeded to the big fight. I really had to struggle and use every BO power and tactic I had in my arsenal. I got down to 7% hull before I finally got the better of the enemy. All my knowledge from BETA, all my working and reworking of my systems and weapons came to fore... I realized I not only had become a better player of the game but my satisfaction that I alone had taken down that Klingon force was something I can only tell you about.. the experience was so much more than words.

     

    For me, THAT is how a game should be! Challenging me, making me use everything at my disposal to complete a tough mission.

    Is STO perfect? No. No game is. Does it need some more of everything? Yes. The potential is there... but when you have withstood a grand battle and look out into that space above a planet that has no more enemies, enemies that could have taken you down just as you did to them... a smile crosses your face.. this is what people don't get I think about this game. There is a powerful feeling of worth and completion when you finish a hard mission triumphantly. STO gives you those kinds of battles in spades.

    When my fleet (the Knights Templar) took down the Crystalline Entity.. we worked together so beautifully as a solid unit.. it was incredible, it was something else... unbelievable! Exhilarating! Those of the moments that seem to get lost in these rants against STO..

    Although I feel your review was fair Jon, I think it misses these most visceral moments that are to be found in game. STO is a good game with potential to be great. I give it the same score here I gave it in the survey: 7.5

    Now I'm off to see what my modified Envoy Class Cruiser can do.. maybe I will see you in game.. boldly going and having fun....

     

    So Mote it Be.

    image

  • KellsKells Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Masoniclight


    The continued hate for STO amazes me... let me tell you something. When I was running Klingon missions, my stout little cruiser flew into the mission and soon I had to face three Neg'Var battleships and three Bird of Prey. All of them were +2 to me and I had no one else to rely on, no one was teamed with me. I had to really think tactically about how I was going to complete this mission successfully. Wow, a game that actually makes you think about TACTICS! I wheeled around to the farthest left flank I could and made sure to isolate one of the birds of prey. If I could hit him hard before his friends came along I wouldn't be as vulnerable.. I used high yield torps (a great BO skill) and proceeded to smack his shields with my phasers simultaneously.. I put him in a world of hurt but I turned to make him follow me and to let my fore shields come back. I dropped mines as he pursued me. His friends finally came to bear and only thanks to some well timed Engineering crew repairs kept me going. I used some of the asteroids there as cover.. it was cat and mouse for a while. Finally I eliminated the BoPs...  I had taken damage, lost crew, shields were hurting. I got my second wind and proceeded to the big fight. I really had to struggle and use every BO power and tactic I had in my arsenal. I got down to 7% hull before I finally got the better of the enemy. All my knowledge from BETA, all my working and reworking of my systems and weapons came to fore... I realized I not only had become a better player of the game but my satisfaction that I alone had taken down that Klingon force was something I can only tell you about.. the experience was so much more than words.
     
    For me, THAT is how a game should be! Challenging me, making me use everything at my disposal to complete a tough mission.
    Is STO perfect? No. No game is. Does it need some more of everything? Yes. The potential is there... but when you have withstood a grand battle and look out into that space above a planet that has no more enemies, enemies that could have taken you down just as you did to them... a smile crosses your face.. this is what people don't get I think about this game. There is a powerful feeling of worth and completion when you finish a hard mission triumphantly. STO gives you those kinds of battles in spades.
    When my fleet (the Knights Templar) took down the Crystalline Entity.. we worked together so beautifully as a solid unit.. it was incredible, it was something else... unbelievable! Exhilarating! Those of the moments that seem to get lost in these rants against STO..
    Although I feel your review was fair Jon, I think it misses these most visceral moments that are to be found in game. STO is a good game with potential to be great. I give it the same score here I gave it in the survey: 7.5
    Now I'm off to see what my modified Envoy Class Cruiser can do.. maybe I will see you in game.. boldly going and having fun....
     
    So Mote it Be.

    While I had some great fighting moments in STO, overall such viceral excitement was not common.  Sure, you had fun fighting 6 enemies. Yes, it takes a lot of tactical abilities to do that. But in just about any mmo, if you get hit by a flood of mobs ranked above you, it is a lot of fun to out-think them and, with a bit of luck thrown in, survive. I certainly didn't see anything inherent in STO that made the scenario you described particularly unique. Most of the time, the missions were repetitive, very easy, and mundane to me.

     

    As for feeling "incredible" when your Fleet/guild took down a boss Crystaline Entity.... you were amazed by the teamwork? I believe that feeling can be captured in just about any group or RAID encounter in any number of mmos.

    Yes, space combat is fun in this game. I think everyone who has played the game and posted about it positively or negatively agrees on that point. I believe you had a good time and you are enjoying the game. I don't discourage anyone from having fun when they shell out their money for a game. But I don't believe experienced mmo players are ranting hate when they want more out of an mmo than the combat moments such as you described....and I believe just about all of us here know how you felt and we have felt the same...even within mediocre games. And, for me, STO is not a BAD game, just mediocre. 

    Why do I care? Why do I bother to even post about a game I think is mediocre? Only because it carries the name of Star Trek, a name I fell in love with since I watched the first episode back in 1966.

  • lexxcptnlexxcptn Member Posts: 3

     

    Gloom, despair, and agony on me

    Deep, dark depression, excessive misery

    If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all

    Gloom, despair, and agony on me

     

    We hoped that STO would make a great score

    and that a MMO could hope to rival Eve,

    Cause we figured we were paying a monthly fee

    and wouldn't be extorted by a dang C-Store

     

    Gloom, despair, and agony on me

    Deep, dark depression, excessive misery

    If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all

    Gloom, despair, and agony on me

  • DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264
    Originally posted by dhayes68


    What's interesting about the review is the lack of addressing the game's community. Granted the game is new so it won't have much of an actual people community yet, but what about the functions or dynamics of the game that foster community?
     
     



     

    Actually the game is so casual/solo firendly that even in the public goup missions (fleet battles) it is common to never have anyone talk to each other.

    "Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

  • NaRoonNaRoon Member UncommonPosts: 2

    I have to agreed with Jon, but may score would be around 5 even though I enjoyed playing the game the lack of content shows how rushed the game was. I remember reading that the lead of the dev. team even admitted that they were forced into leaving stuff out in an online interview. These are the areas I think that they have-to improve in are as follows: (in order of importance to me)

     

    1. Playable factions: Having just the Klingon as the only playable race is a horrible luck of forward thinking... I know several people who wanted to play Romulan or Cardassian. Being able to play Borg would have also been a nice touch... even if you have to reach a specific rank before they opened. When you image "joining" the Star Trek universe you thing about all the different races and FACTIONS... they hit a room run with the ability to "create" your own race or play one of the stock races. The only problem is the almost total lack of factional play and yes I know the Klingon are playable but they have such a limited area compared to the Fed's

     

    2. None "warrior" pathing for advancement. There is little to no “olive branch” pathing for your characters in the game. The sad thing is most of this mission type are in the explore mission and are broke. There is little to none of this type in the main gust lines. aaa HELLO not everyone want to kill stuff all day long just to advance their characters.

     

    3. Sector Space... please find another way to kill time... for the most part that is all sector space is a time sink. If you want a time sink in the game you need to hide if very well and the cover it with pretty shinny things so the average player dose not notice it... sector space epically fails on every account. I like the suggestion that sector space should be done from the bridge... more of the game should be done from the bridge and not a look down map. That is part of the Trek universe… from your bridge you take on the universe… not from a look down map

     

    4. Crafting... joke, after thought, ops we forget... This is another area that shows how rush to gold the game was. This area of the game either needs to be removed or totally reworked, as it is now it is worthless for most players.

     

    5. Morales... kill them/let them live.... light/dark... whatever you want to call it the game totally lacks these kinds of chooses that should effect how you play and how the universe reacts to you. Just because they broke the game into Fed's (good) and Klingon (bad) why are there no chooses that effect your play and the universes response to it. The lack of this gives the game a one "D" feel like WoW... You should be able to be a BAD good guy and a GOOD bad guy not just pigeon holed into good/bad by the choose of race/faction.

     

    If the dev team can fix these areas in the game it would have a much larger draw and pull for the Treky types... and just be more fun all around. O and one last thing way have the Andorian's all of a sudden come out of the wood work????

     

    OPS!!! almost forget

    Market... OMG I know 12th graders that can write a better search engine than the one that the game currently use... exact letter matching... I would LMAO if it was not so sad that this type of coding made it into a game gone Gold

    image
    image
    image

  • TazdaxTazdax Member UncommonPosts: 16

    I agree pretty much with the review as well.  I am a casual gamer but probably wouldn't give it quite as high a rating but I am old long time trekkie and do enjoy several aspects of the game. The thing that has my hope up is that it's new and there is a lot of potential to make this a better MMO.  There are several aspects that will make it feel more like Trek such as ship interiors and more diplomatic problem solving missions. Having a mission on your own ship such as fighting off a Borg invasion or hunting down an alien intruder. Being able to sit in my captains chair and look cool... lol

    Anyway it would have been nice to have this upon release but I am willing to be patient over the next year and see where this goes. I agree with the 6.x rating just based on potential and trekiness.

  • Bull_bileBull_bile Member Posts: 14
    I played in beta and it just wasn't complete enough at launch for me to sub. They are making big changes and I'll try again in 6 months or so.
  • commando991commando991 Member Posts: 20

    I'm  fed fan by heart and sence the series and the movies and I like the look s of the ships as well.

    and I did CBT and OB as well and release.

    so there for I paid for a month or so and canceled !

    theres No warp drive skill in the game for attack force fast or defense !

    the gms also disabled some of the skills from the movies and tv shows thats in the game cause of klingon pvpers at cbt and OB !

    and also nerfed the fed side skills more and the ships defense as well.

    even with speical items for engines and what not.

    so the game has gone down hill alot compare what some gamers say.

    most the gamers heres that speak about it are klingon side pvpers and not a true star trek base fan for feds.

    so of course they say the nothing else.

    I seen alot worng with the game so did my true life friends thats startrek base fed fans too.

    they was not happy with what the gms did and they ended their 2 yr subs cause of it. !!!

    and 50% of my friends are klingon / fed gamers so they played and leveled both.

    and they saw the difference between the two.

    and fewd side we used to be able to go in at LT.commander rank and woop ass on fed multi mission for starbase 24.

    and kick some butt, on the AIs without hardly any damage now you wont even last 2 minutes in that mission even at end game rank as a fed.

    and thats only a fed side mission. !!

    we used to be able wipe out as a team of 3 the entire place same rank and go to the base and finish it, now you can not !

    cause the gms nerfed engineers and tatical skills  for attack with loads power and defense.

    so now where the engineers are tankers cant even tank duren ai missions or pvp.

    they messed up the game so much all the hard base players and  gamer who can afford 2 yr base sub membership left.

    so what does that tell all you star trek fans ?

    the game gone to the crappers sence CBT and OB and still will.

    cause unfair pvper players on the pvp boards for klingon gamers.

    the gms might as well change tghe title from startrek online to startrek klingon rampage online !

  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,021

    The sad thing is, the best they can do is send me an email.  In this email it was like come to the cstore we have some new items there.

    How about sending me an email going hey we fixed a lot of stuff come play.

    However no,  its come spend your money at the cash shop.

    Epic failure.

  • RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 710

    I played it for a month after it came out and lost interest. The ground game felt cobbled together. Sector space is a real immersion killer, it's like moving around a big space map not an actual sector of space. Waaaaaaay too much instancing for a game set in the most open environment imaginable...space. And their C-store policies are atrocious.

    The review comments about Zachary Quintos voice overs made me laugh...his voice over character is supposed to b e a generic "trainer" character, but he was so riding the Spock voice it was silly. It seemed like a shameless attempt to ride the newest ST movie's coattails.

    "Look, we have the guy who played Spock in the new Star Trek movie in the game voice over...doing the Spock voice....but not playing Spock...have you checked out the C-store lately?"

    The game felt pretty lame for something based on such a legendary IP.

  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,021

    Originally posted by temptest99

    Originally posted by erictlewis

    The sad thing is, the best they can do is send me an email.  In this email it was like come to the cstore we have some new items there.

    How about sending me an email going hey we fixed a lot of stuff come play.

    However no,  its come spend your money at the cash shop.

    Epic failure.

    After we Cryptic sucked the trekkies wallet dry - We promise to fix the failure in season 45

    - ((Perpetual)/Cryptic)) - Dev team -

    P.S. - You may even be able to see the inside of your ship by then -

    No promises - check the cash store for further details

     

    Still 3 out of 10 and

    Still do not waste your money

     All I could do was laugh for a few minutes, and you know what I totaly agree!!

  • jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

    Originally posted by Ryukan

    I played it for a month after it came out and lost interest. The ground game felt cobbled together. Sector space is a real immersion killer, it's like moving around a big space map not an actual sector of space. Waaaaaaay too much instancing for a game set in the most open environment imaginable...space. And their C-store policies are atrocious.

    The review comments about Zachary Quintos voice overs made me laugh...his voice over character is supposed to b e a generic "trainer" character, but he was so riding the Spock voice it was silly. It seemed like a shameless attempt to ride the newest ST movie's coattails.

    "Look, we have the guy who played Spock in the new Star Trek movie in the game voice over...doing the Spock voice....but not playing Spock...have you checked out the C-store lately?"

    The game felt pretty lame for something based on such a legendary IP.

    Non-Spock sounding voice? Only $5 in the C-store (limited time only).

  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,021

    Originally posted by temptest99

    You think I am kidding?

    Daron Stinnett, the Producer of Perpetual Entertainment's Star Trek Online

    . The game, he assured us, will launch with very rich ship interiors.



    There will be, he said, "No shortage of starship interiors."

     

    Still 3 out of 10 and

    Still do not waste your money

     Yes I agree dont waste your cash.  I cancled my pre order when i got into beta.  These jokers are never getting my money.

    I give it a  3 out of 10 in beta, but it only deserves a 1 out of 10 now.

  • raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

    IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

  • raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

    thats the link to where this issue is being discussed on the forums, my bad, should have said that

    IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,021

    Originally posted by temptest99

    Originally posted by raistalin69

    thats the link to where this issue is being discussed on the forums, my bad, should have said that

     

    Did they  tell you how to get a refund from star trek online? - Because I did not ask for that link either

    So back to the Original Post - No one answered

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Every  MMO has thier Exec Producer quit 2 weeks before the biggest up-date since  launch -

    Don't They?

    There is no exploration - It has nothing to do with "Star Trek" - except what they were given by Perpetual Entertainment (Perpetual's assets, shut down. Star Trek Online's license and images, minus Perpetual's code, were transferred to the new developer, Cryptic Studios.)

     

    Too many bugs/Too Repetitive - Don't waste your money

    Scan 5 Aliens win an EWOK doll (lifetime subscription required)

    3 out of 10

     I begining to thing your running some sort of bot program, posting the same thing over and over and over.  Trying to get your post and star count up a little.

    To ansywer your question,  there been very few if any producers quit right before they put something in big, now a lot of them leave afterwards, when things go south.

    Perhaps this fellow knows his product already stinks and has decided to get out before the stain remains on his name, and it should follow him around for a while no mater what he does.

    Still we go back to whats wrong with STO, and I can say everything,  does this guy leaving change anything.  I very much dought it.  And why would anybody give this guy another chance to do anything in an mmo after the disaster sto has been you have to wonder.  Gosh knows if I was another studio I sure would not hire him, unless I was doing the same kind of thing  like possibly ddo or lotro they migh be looking for cash shop item producers.

  • zahir123zahir123 Member Posts: 21

    Look Im honest and Im giving my impression on STO, I played the full beta and I think was alright here is my short review:

    The game looks visually good in a good computer like any other new AAA MMO

    The Gameplay is very different its a Light experience, even the most casual player can reach end-game with no problem, basically you follow a story (missions) or (explore missions), they are not bad and give loot pieces you put into your ship, there is a lot of micromanagement (bridge officer, ships, items, weapons for ground missions, skills, etc)

    Does look like Star Trek, you even go to the past at some point and the story get cooler, starts very slow but continues to get better.

    Its a different MMO you either like or hate, which means a lot as its unique in that aspect. I no longer play it because I no longer have money to play for monthly fee or have the time.

    The crafting system is really a "trade x items for y gear tier IV" or g like ather some resources in space to exchange for item you want, its simple and it works but its not crafting like people are used to, I did like it.

    If I had to compare EVE to STO, I have to go with STO its a lot easier and more fun than just investing in ships weapons, clans and grind in EVE, in STO the grind is pretty straight forward with some twists that makes star trek fans happy.

    Spock voice is free by the way, its not perfect but if you Space MMO its a good choice.

Sign In or Register to comment.