Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Player - Needs Advice

ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

As EVE is probably one of the few games I never tried, I'm just downloading the trial, and seek advice what sort of meaningful non-combat activities there are. I read a few guides mentioning science, exploration, mining, trading, but I have basically no or very little idea how it might work.

Is it possible to play let's say trader / scientist and avoiding most of the fights? What attributes should I focus on for the first remap.

Is exploration element always about combat in the end or it's possible to explore in "safe" zones - and use the hacking tools, analyze, salvage to find blueprints, or other valuable loot (again I have no idea how does it work, I'm just trying to find a sense in it from the guides I read).

Do all munchkins improve first Memory and Intelligence and spend first half a year improving learning skill to increase the speed of improving other skills -> and then remap again and make a build they actually want? How big in (%) is the difference if you do it this way in compare to the normal way (like improving industry right at the start).

And lastly, as I don't know anyone playing EVE atm, is there any newbie-friendly corporation recruiting new players you know and can recommend? 

Thank in advance for helpful replies.

REALITY CHECK

Comments

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176

EVE has a very steep learning curve.  I wish I could help  but I can't.  I'd be interested to see what others post though so maybe it could help me too.

• slashbeastslashbeast Member Posts: 533

Alot of these questions can be answered by searching google. Don't forget you have an ingame browser.

I'll try to answer these as best as I can. Though I just subbed to the game a few weeks ago, I have done atleast twelve 14day trials so I do know a good bit about the game. One thing I have learned is that almost any question you ask about eve can be answered by using google.

Is it possible to play let's say trader / scientist and avoiding most of the fights? What attributes should I focus on for the first remap.

Yes. Science and especially trading are non combat careers. On the attributes part, all you need to do is go to google and search EVE learning remap.

Is exploration element always about combat in the end or it's possible to explore in "safe" zones - and use the hacking tools, analyze, salvage to find blueprints, or other valuable loot (again I have no idea how does it work, I'm just trying to find a sense in it from the guides I read).

Yes you can explore in safe zones. I salvage, hack and mine in safe zones all the time. Though you might find the most profit to be made in dangerous spots with NPCs (especially sleepers.)

Do all munchkins improve first Memory and Intelligence and spend first half a year improving learning skill to increase the speed of improving other skills -> and then remap again and make a build they actually want? How big in (%) is the difference if you do it this way in compare to the normal way (like improving industry right at the start).

One thing here. EVEMON. Find out what you want to do first and use EVEMON to plan out your skills. I have a years worth of skill training and it doesn't recommend I train some of my learning skills passed lvl5.

And lastly, as I don't know anyone playing EVE atm, is there any newbie-friendly corporation recruiting new players you know and can recommend?

You can try EVE University.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Thillian

Is it possible to play let's say trader / scientist and avoiding most of the fights?

Definately possible.

Trader just sit in station and watch the buy/sell orders, eventualy travel to some other region since you can operate within region market (only).
    Supportive skills allows you to handle more orders at higher distances and reduce market fees.

Science in EVE refers to research, invention and reversed engineering.

¤ You research a blueprint used for manufacturing or make copies of such blueprints.

¤ Invention is making 'Tech II' blueprint copies out of 'Tech I' blueprints. This requires resources gathered a exploration sites.

¤ Reverse engineering is an encryption metod of obtaining 'Tech III' blueprint copies from wormhole resources.

Science is quite skill intensive and it is chane based so you will need quite ISK to start. You will also probably want POS(player owned structure) or at least rent a laboratory slot - all research is happening in Laboratories, they can be player owned or found at NPC stations, each laboratory have limited slots though.

Is exploration element always about combat in the end or it's possible to explore in "safe" zones - and use the hacking tools, analyze, salvage to find blueprints, or other valuable loot (again I have no idea how does it work, I'm just trying to find a sense in it from the guides I read).

You can probe out various type of sites:

¤ Unknown: - combat site
    ¤ Gravimetric: - ore mining site
    ¤ Magnetometric: - archaeology/salvage site.
    ¤ Radar: - hacking site.
    ¤ Ladar: - gas cloud mining Site.

There can be some NPC at non-combat sites too though.

You can sign up to player corporation focused at new players - EVE University.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Do all munchkins improve first Memory and Intelligence and spend first half a year improving learning skill to increase the speed of improving other skills -> and then remap again and make a build they actually want? How big in (%) is the difference if you do it this way in compare to the normal way (like improving industry right at the start).

The correct term for people who do this with their first character is idiot

OK, I'll concede that if you're interested in EVE and want to start a character, but you can't actually spend any time playing for some reason (Exams, new baby, new girlfriend, divorce etc) then fine, by all means spend your first 3 months doing nothing but maxing out Learning skills. It's also fine to do if you're starting up a second account and creating an alt character. Go for it - you can still have fun on your main.

Otherwise, basic learnings to 4 and advanced to 3 is just fine for the first few months. And spend no more than 50% of your time on them. At that level, you'll only be learning 10-15% slower than an absolutely maxed out character - and few players max their learnings. I haven't.

Training nothing but learning skills is the biggest cause of people quitting EVE in their first month. Unless you're seriously obsessive-compulsive about minimaxing, and very patient, just dont do it.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• Lizard_SFLizard_SF Member Posts: 348
    Originally posted by Malcanis

The correct term for people who do this with their first character is idiot

I have to agree. I wonder how many people ending up quitting EVE because they followed some OCD "How to optimize guide", and,  a month or two into the game, couldn't actually DO anything?

• Lizard_SFLizard_SF Member Posts: 348

As EVE is probably one of the few games I never tried, I'm just downloading the trial, and seek advice what sort of meaningful non-combat activities there are. I read a few guides mentioning science, exploration, mining, trading, but I have basically no or very little idea how it might work.
    Is it possible to play let's say trader / scientist and avoiding most of the fights? What attributes should I focus on for the first remap.
    Thank in advance for helpful replies.

I've only been playing about 5 weeks,so take this advice with that in mind. You can avoid *most* fights but not *ALL*. You *will* lose ships. You *will* be podkilled. The only question is how often.

There's very little reward without risk. You can definitely do non-combat things, but you'll need to face the risk of combat to do them. Want to profit hauling goods from low-demand zones to high-demand? You'll risk some attacks. Want to mine? The most valuable minerals are in low security space. Want to explore? You can find wormholes in high-sec, but you don't know what's on the other side until you go through.

I recommend against training learning skills past levels 3-4 until you've got all the core skills you really want down pat and you can play for days without needing to learn something else (of course, you can always pause training a long skill to learn a short one).

• erinyserinys Member UncommonPosts: 395

The only thing i can really recommend is eve-university! they will teach and learn and help you with anything you want!

• KharumKharum Member Posts: 94

I'm quite happy with starting out by skilling up the learning skills. Made the character only 22 days ago, did tutorial and chose some basic combat skills and anything that took maximum of few hours to skill up. Then I skilled up Cybernetics to level 4, got the ~20 mil implants for intelligence and memory. Now I have three learning skills at level 5, six at level 4 and two at level 3. Only two weeks and I'll have all first tier skills at 5 and second tier at 4, apart from charisma, which I will leave for later. I might skills up second tier intelligence and perception to 5, but it takes 12 days each. Not bad at all, though.

Seeing how much it improves the skilling speed, putting some effort in learning skill training is worth it without a doubt. I don't play the game that much yet, I'll start playing it when I have learning skills at convenient level, meanwhile I have a bunch of other games to play. I think anyone who disagrees might be just jealous for not personally investing in them at the start. Just speculation, don't get angry at me. :-)

Waiting on Xsyon & betaing stuff

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Thanks for the tips. I like the game a lot so far.

REALITY CHECK

• RhevinRhevin Member UncommonPosts: 611

If you're looking to get into trade and science, I hope you have two monitors. I've played numerous trial accounts and only once have I subscribed. Each trial I would put in a movie while I played. Same when I subscribed. PvP gets your blood pressure up, but I didn't care for it at all. I spent hours in 0.0 sec scanning people out. After five hours I scanned some wrecks, warped in, and ended up getting one shot by a POS.

EVE is a game of great loss and great wins. There are no fair fights, draws, or "meh" moments. You either win big or lose everything. And its the times of losing everything that I just moved on. I find myself on a trial account once every two months or so to escape my World of Warcraft and Mass Effect 2 addiction. That's enough for me. =]

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Rhevin

EVE is a game of great loss and great wins. There are no fair fights, draws, or "meh" moments. You either win big or lose everything.

I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

There are also a lot of options for you to only be involved, but not engage in combat or only engage in a very limited way.

Lots of crops run mining operations for example where they need miners, haulers, and protection.

I often mine while I'm watching TV or something in .8 - .6 security and just have combat drones out to take care of NPC aggro. Sometimes I need to intervene, but just leave sound on and its not too challenging a multitask.

Another option is being a trader, watching buy/sell prices in different areas and hauling the goods. Seems like a simple buy low - sell high, but it gets very complicated like stock brokering. It is possible to make money this way in empire space (which eve central lets you filter for). Still the bigger money is to be made off people that can't/wont come into civilized systems.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

You might get some use from the public forums of Eve University, i would have advised you join, but they usually get a wardec every month or so.

www.eve-ivy.com/forums

You should be able to get tips on mining, trading, station trading, exploration, manufacturing.