Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of the Game 2/25/10

13»

Comments

• Echo08Echo08 Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by TheAesthete

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero 

You knew what you were buying into, an MMO. You knew there was no guarantee the game would stay the same, in fact you knew there was a guarantee that the game wouldn't so you've lost any right to complain about its forward movement in relation to being "scammed" into buying a life sub.
    You want to play something frozen in time, there's always single player games.

Well said. I think a person who bought a lifetime sub and sites a single issue (in this case death penalties) as a reason for remorse must have had a multitude of problems with the game, and was looking around for the best one to blame. But I've never had sympathy for people who bought the lifetime subscriptions. And coming here to complain about it is like showing up at a bully convention with a "kick me" sign on your back.

Actually I cited a number of things.  My post was quite lengthy.  And frankly, it was my understanding that this is precisely what these forums are supposed to be for.  Both you you do take a contrary view of my position, but rather than providing anything meaningful.  The party you are supporting did a poor job of trying to apply a Argumentum ad logicam.  The point is quickly refuted by mere 1st order logic.... "You Knew" ... frankly if I indeed did know, I would not be here posting?  Your take is purely speculative in regards to my (or anyone else's) remorse.  I think I pointed out I was happy with the overall direction of the game and cited the examples as to what I felt were current issues. Instead you employ a cheap Non Sequitur wrapped in a Dicto Simpliciter in order to discredit my point.  And its nice to see you added a hint of physical violence imagery to intimidate anyone looking to join in.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by Echo08

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Originally posted by Echo08

3. Life time subs.  Some people (my self included) bought life time subscriptions.  The death penalty was not something in the game at the time of purchase.  Had it been disclosed I would have reconsidered my purchase.  Now, I suspect it won't be very harsh.  Honestly, look at champions online.  But the principle really irks me.  I paid for one thing and to me they are changing a fundamental part of the game.  Worse, it seems they are ignoring the elephant in the room.  Permit me to document what I have observed. 

I'm sorry but that's a pretty worthless argument. MMOs are ALWAYS changing, sometimes in HUGE ways.

You knew what you were buying into, an MMO. You knew there was no guarantee the game would stay the same, in fact you knew there was a guarantee that the game wouldn't so you've lost any right to complain about its forward movement in relation to being "scammed" into buying a life sub.

You want to play something frozen in time, there's always single player games.

so... Let me present this in another way then..

I own a rental car company and offer a lifetime rental option. You as a consumer decide to purchase one of my lifetime rentals. Everything is fine for a few weeks. Until one day, you are walking to where you parked the car and find a tricylce with a note cheerfully saying enjoy the new ride we provided for you.  Now under those extreme circumstances I am pretty sure I would be facing some possible criminal charges for having swapped the car for a tricycle on you.  My point is that had there been full disclosure of a death penalty up front, it would have weighed into my buying decision. A point my credit card company readily agreed with and has already refunded my money.  This really just comes down to simple ethics.  Which takes president over opinion and lengthy disclaimers.

Thats a silly analogy. A tricycle is obviously much worse value/function wise than a real car. It would be more like if they changed your tires from those very broad ones to normal ones, telling you that this is working out better and that all their cars now have normal tires.

See? You rented something, and they changed that something. Ofc you could sue them, cause you wanted a lifetime rental of a car with broad tires. Then again those broad tires would better have been explictly gueranteed to you in your contract. Cause you only rented a car, and a car is still a car if you change the tires vs something else.

And even in that example it might be argued that broad tires are better than narrow normal tires, since they are more expensive/valuable and thus the value of your rental went down. DP or not however is not changing the value of your lifetime account, its just that, a change.

Unlike what some people think a product may freely contain things that where not advertised. It just may not advertise things it doesnt contain. And since i saw no advertisement of "no death penalty" you are infact not entitled to it. Infact there is probably some small print in your contract with cryptic stating that gamecontent/experience might change over time.

If microsoft got away with writing those breeding grounds of viruses/trojans they called OS in the past, which costed buisnesses and people millions of $$ without being suable, im pretty sure cryptic can get away with this and much more.