Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is just AWESOME!

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Originally posted by joshe

Originally posted by rlmccoy1987

Only if it works and has few bugs, which is not what MO is known for.

Was UO totally bugfree at the release ?

ROFL.. UO was 13 years ago and had a huge number of people following the Ultima franchise for over a decade!  It also released at a time when most folks were naive regarding ways to exploit/hack a game. 

If they could go back in time and release MO as a direct competitor to UO they might have a chance.. but they aren't competing against UO and they aren't in the 1990s. 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

I'm glad you found a home in Mortal Online. Even though I personally don't like Mortal Online, I do think it's deserving of some praise. Trying to rise in the ranks when so many other MMORPGs are out there and you are so small definitely earns my respect.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

Origin had so many other graphical MMOs to learn from and could easliy buy pre-made game engines and scenery generators.  

I win!!! LOL@U

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272
    Originally posted by TheMap

Originally posted by HanoverZ

Origin had so many other graphical MMOs to learn from and could easliy buy pre-made game engines and scenery generators.  

From what I hear premade engines are just as hard if not harder to code. Basically its easier to start from scratch.

You heard wrong. Otherwise there would be no market for gaming engines, at all.

Imagine the amount of math it takes to calculate shadows, draw distance, details, animations, physics -- easier to start from scratch?

[Mod edit]

• merieke82merieke82 Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by TheMap

From what I hear premade engines are just as hard if not harder to code. Basically its easier to start from scratch.

UO used a modified ultima 8: pagan engine. This is also the engine that powered the Crusder: No remorse, Crusader: No Regret games. The engine is probably the most sophisticated 2d isometric engine ever built and was developed slowly over time through previous titles. That's just the graphics engine though.

MO uses the unreal engine which has just as much background, if not more. From a networking perspective MO uses the Atlas addon for unreal which seems to have no legitimate track record for anything.

I'm not making a point, just sharing information.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by jango1337

Originally posted by Proson

Originally posted by Domesto

Yep, it's what I been waiting years for.
    I can see through the bugs that are in BETA and see where this is going.
    Just awesome.

Same here. This game will be the BEST game that exists in a year or two.

atm it is a alpha really. but they are a really small team without alot of funding, they have done a great job since block A imo.

the game is going no where, they dug their own grave when they licensed the unreal engine to make a open world, no instanced sandbox. You'd think they would have learned from vanguard (unreal 2 engine). It's obvious that it wasn't designed for this type of gameplay.

Actually...

The Unreal 2 engine has been used to great effect in other MMORPGs with large seamless worlds... Lineage 2 being one of them. The trick is to put the engine in the hands of developers capable of using it properly.

Also, Vanguard - once optimized - has run great on a modified Unreal 2 engine. Last time I tried it out, it ran very well with pretty high settings.

That said... the Unreal 3 engine is actually designed, from the ground up, to support large streaming worlds - it's one of the showcase items they were showing off in it some time back. You can probably still find the video on YouTube... though I'm having trouble finding the exact one now, so many have been released. I'll edit the post with the link once I've found it.

Of course, it still falls back to being able to use the technology *wisely*.

Unreal tech *is* powerful, and *can* be used to make large seamless worlds that perform well... but you need to know how to use the tech properly for the given project.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708

The game is pretty enjoyable as it is, it can COMPLETELY hold its ground and sell lots.

It just lacks more content such as tools for socialization, a true economy, communication from towns, a good capital and other candy.

But it DOES work already, players are happy, there's ALWAYS something to do, everyone's always keen to role-play and feel immersed.

I repeat, it just needs things that give MORE LIFE to the world. After that it will be a PERFECT simulation. It just needs "adventures" with puzzles and mysteries to be experienced inside dungeons(like UO had), camps, orc villages to conquer and control, Boats, shops, economy Give players more goals, and everyone will love this game. The foundations are THERE.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Originally posted by Gylfi

The game is pretty enjoyable as it is, it can COMPLETELY hold its ground and sell lots.
    It just lacks more content such as tools for socialization, a true economy, communication from towns, a good capital and other candy.
    But it DOES work already, players are happy, there's ALWAYS something to do, everyone's always keen to role-play and feel immersed.
    I repeat, it just needs things that give MORE LIFE to the world. After that it will be a PERFECT simulation. It just needs "adventures" with puzzles and mysteries to be experienced inside dungeons(like UO had), camps, orc villages to conquer and control, Boats, shops, economy Give players more goals, and everyone will love this game. The foundations are THERE.

I just have to call BS on this comment. What is the content at level 35? What mobs exist at level 45?

I agree, the foundations ARE there; SV has done a great job, really, of making the foundation of a game. Now they need to add the actual game.

Lacks content for socialization, needs a real economy, communication? Is this a game for sale or a backbone for a new game development?

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Originally posted by Gylfi

The game is fine as is, it just needs a bit more content. Trust me...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365

This game is beautiful, however it has NO CONTENT.. And forced first person is lose. i;m sorry it is.And i am one of the hardest hardcore pvp'ers who support ffa looting etc... however, this is trash

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by will75

This game is beautiful, however it has NO CONTENT.. And forced first person is lose. i;m sorry it is.And i am one of the hardest hardcore pvp'ers who support ffa looting etc... however, this is trash

Out of all the issues that are wrong with the game, hating on first-person is ridiculous. It's one of the few things that worked out well to the game's advantage IMO.... and I don't care if you can't get a vanity cam or hate not seeing behind you - it's kind of the point. The game is only "trash" on so many levels, but then again many players are absolutely clueless or tasteless.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Mortal Online is an awesome game.....on paper. I really think Mortal Online has some serious potential...or at least the idea behind it. I just don't think StarVault will be able to pull it off. They lack real professionals, there's no "professionalism" in the way they act (hell....a launcher made by a USER!?! WTF!?! Which is very buggy I may add).

Seriously, can CCP buy Mortal Online? Or another company that knows how to make this game work? No way StarVault will pull it off, especially if they launch during the following week.

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Mortal Online is an awesome game.....on paper. I really think Mortal Online has some serious potential...or at least the idea behind it. I just don't think StarVault will be able to pull it off. They lack real professionals, there's no "professionalism" in the way they act (hell....a launcher made by a USER!?! WTF!?! Which is very buggy I may add).

Seriously, can CCP buy Mortal Online? Or another company that knows how to make this game work? No way StarVault will pull it off, especially if they launch during the following week.

I'd like to see what CCP does with the unreal engine in Dust514.  (boo consoles)

I win!!! LOL@U

• TunkasinaTunkasina Member Posts: 40

(hell....a launcher made by a USER!?! WTF!?! Which is very buggy I may add).

This "user" is a free lance programmer.

Originally posted by Tunkasina

(hell....a launcher made by a USER!?! WTF!?! Which is very buggy I may add).

This "user" is a free lance programmer.

Does that make any difference in his lack of ability?  Theres a reason he doesn't have a job.

I win!!! LOL@U

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

About an hour ago.

I wandered into a desert town, had a chat with a guy on a horse and he gave me his bow and a pack of 25 arrows. I thought "Wow, what a nice guy" .

The guy rode off and I went to look at the bow and arrows and they were gone. I guess someone pick pocketed me right afterward.

Eh.... I don't really call that "awesome" there's no realism in that. A giant Longbow and a pack of x25 arrows don't just vanish cause you got slippy fingers.

Not all that awesome, funny!? sure! But I didn't realize that Mortal Online was a comedy.

• PzfaustPzfaust Member Posts: 26

The only thing which is AWESOME about this ''project'' is how dead and empty the gameworld is. I continue to run around wilderness on my ''horse taming'' template and theres nothing there - so far i've seen some rabbits (3 to 5 mobs camp, dissapearing and sliding along the landscape), gazelles (5 to 8mobs), domestic and wild pigs. 

But the camps are so scattered, the feeling of exploring is gone after long treks - i dont know if it is on purpose - hey look after all there are 3 weasels,wow!

I would prefer a small, polished zone for a vast, sloppy, utterly ugly landscape.  

I always thought that to compete with mass products one would offer some "handcrafted" item, not jugged, unfinished mold and on top of that charge the same price that mainstream, well established businesses do.

Does that make any difference in his lack of ability?  Theres a reason he doesn't have a job.

It make a difference in the fact he isn't a random user, he is a free-lance programmer. That's all. I personally don't judge him without knowing him.

It make a difference in the fact he isn't a random user, he is a free-lance programmer. That's all. I personally don't judge him without knowing him.

Regardless of his "job", he did an awful job. The forum is filled with launcher/patcher issues, that's not normal and StarVault didn't fix anything yet? I'd have fired that guy long ago and fixed the damn launcher myself if I was an employee at SV.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Originally posted by will75

First person view is one of the things that attract players to this title. In a full pvp game, being able to see 360 degrees around yourself with a top person view just makes no sense. Most FPS's know this. Having first person view opens up the possibilities such as sneaking up behind someone to bash them on the head, without the need to artificially fade the character on your display to fake a hidden ability, for instance. It also forces you to be more aware of your surroundings, which is hard on people, i guess, due to easier games.

If they added mirrors and reflections, that would probably make people happier about fpv though.. For some reason people like to stare at themselves.

I'll say like others.. the game has potential, but the execution is iffy. Self-publishing will let them run the game even without a ton of subscribers, but only if they finally manage to get the basic game engine stable, something they haven't been able to do very well since the start of block A. I can see why they add more content instead of concentrating on that, players can be demanding with their screaming for new stuff all the time.. But now with 'release' coming, they can't afford to wipe and stuff, and will have to 'help' people who lose stuff due to bugs and whatnot, as those people are paying customers at that time.

• BertiauxBertiaux Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by HerculesSAS

Originally posted by Rolero

Originally posted by Domesto

Yep, it's what I been waiting years for.
    I can see through the bugs that are in BETA and see where this is going.
    Just awesome.

totally agree,

MO is for me the reborn of the mmo like UO in 1997 but better, after the last patch im secure that starvault are on the right path :)

see u

I swear that people have never played UO to make that comparison. It's an insult to UO.

Apparently you wern't around for the release of UO, like I was.  

The forum is filled with launcher/patcher issues, that's not normal and StarVault didn't fix anything yet? I'd have fired that guy long ago and fixed the damn launcher myself if I was an employee at SV.

They don't "fill" the forum, you're exaggerating. Lasts launcher works fine for most of peoples. Those who actually got problem with the current patcher experiment issue with downloading.

Personally,  I never got any problem with the patcher, and I reinstall the game three times, with different computer, to try trace any possible problem for some friends with low bandiwth internet connection. But nothing. 

The forum is filled with launcher/patcher issues, that's not normal and StarVault didn't fix anything yet? I'd have fired that guy long ago and fixed the damn launcher myself if I was an employee at SV.

They don't "fill" the forum, you're exaggerating. Lasts launcher works fine for most of peoples. Those who actually got problem with the current patcher experiment issue with downloading.

Personally,  I never got any problem with the patcher, and I reinstall the game three times, with different computer, to try trace any possible problem for some friends with low bandiwth internet connection. But nothing. 

I was exaggerating yes, but I'm sure you get my point. That said, I experienced 2 different issues with this patcher. The first one was that the patcher could not find the path to a specific folder, I don't even remember how I fixed this one but it works now. The second one was the patcher freezing at 99% for several hours (happened on 2 different patchs)

• DomestoDomesto Member Posts: 110

Updated the OP.

Can't wait for release.

It's going to be fun.

• 0guz0guz Member UncommonPosts: 287

it lags without real mobs implemented

we kill rabbits and pigs omg :) it needs 50X more content

but i agree it may be awesome