Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will you be affected by the 2011 release date?

Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

I think I was really happy for the 2011 release date, I know that many people have nothing to do and are probably wanting to play this game today, but you have to realize that Star Wars: The Old Republic is getting delayed until 2011 for a few reasons:

- They've got a lot of funding

- They want to make sure that they have a complete game

- Games such as Age of Conan and Warhammer were great games:

- But really, I hate to say this, but they got boring after a month.

- They want a fun game with balanced PVP

So, as you can see, Star Wars: The Old Republic is going to get delayed until Spring 2011. Personally I'm excited because when it gets released, I'll have a fun game that I can enjoy for the years to come. I'm going to be very busy in 2010, so a 2011 release date is a bit of a release. Luckily, they have a release date for us, what if 2011 got here and they still didn't have a release date?

Comments

• Naturalist99Naturalist99 Member Posts: 182

- They've got a lot of funding - how does this mean they have lots of funding? it could mean they dont have funding so they need more time to get out what they wanted,

- They want to make sure that they have a complete game - yes, but this point has been expressed so many time that its not thread worthy

- Games such as Age of Conan and Warhammer were great games: - and what does that have to do with anything?

- But really, I hate to say this, but they got boring after a month. - your expressing your last point with another point with a miniscule detail, why?

- They want a fun game with balanced PVP - PvP hasnt even been talked about for SWTOR, the focus on this game is story and they are gonna take a long time to make this game for that reason, not for balanced PvP

MMOs played: Too many
    Watch List: FFXIV, CoH:GR, GW2, SWTOR, TERA, Earthrise

• MavisPMavisP Member Posts: 181

I would rather see it later than sooner and unfinished.

so would I, im just expressing that these arent great points that explain the strong points of the game or the delay, there have been many threads like this 

• ben_jiiben_jii Member Posts: 6

I think you could imply that they have a lot of funding since they are a very big company and have a huge amount of people working on it,

Just because PVP hasn't been talked about much does not mean they won't want to spend time balancing it. They have stated there will be PVP.

• levin70levin70 Member Posts: 87

All you need to do to look at funding is go to www.sec.gov

The parent who owns 100% of bioware is a SEC reporting company.  They file their financials quarterly.

Oh, and yeah, given their losses and cash burn rate, the "funding" isn't all that pretty.

Regards

Originally posted by ben_jii

I think you could imply that they have a lot of funding since they are a very big company and have a huge amount of people working on it,
    Just because PVP hasn't been talked about much does not mean they won't want to spend time balancing it. They have stated there will be PVP.

I know they have lots of money, but what does delaying the game have to do with anything? It doesnt have to do with money, just polishing, there not saying, everyone, we have a lot of money, so we wont give you the game for another year! And Also, I know theres PvP, but its not the focus of the game, and the OP didnt talk at all about PvE or Story, so how does delaying the game make PvP that much more balanced and better?

• Esther-ChanEsther-Chan Member Posts: 288

How will I be affected? Not at all, because I'll be playing WoW: Cataclysm until it comes out. I'll be happily wiping on Deathwing over and over as a Worgen Death Knight.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by Esther-Chan

How will I be affected? Not at all, because I'll be playing WoW: Cataclysm until it comes out. I'll be happily wiping on Deathwing over and over as a Worgen Death Knight.

No, you'll be wiping on Deathwing 15 times, and then you'll go back to leveling alts for the rest of the week =) Limited attempts are cool, no wait, they aren't.

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544
    Originally posted by Esther-Chan

How can you wipe over and over in wow anymore? its so easy now -.-  (Im not a wow hater, played it for 3 years. was my favorite MMO until TBC came out)

Currently Playing Path of Exile

Cuz this is a topic about SWTOR, on the SWTOR forum of MMORPG.com, not a SWTOR topic on the WoW forums, dont answer it if you dont care for the game, and seriously? who cares that much for grammar on the internetz, i aint gettin my English Major and Im not turnin in an essay to my teacher

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I am extremely happy that the release date is in 2011. It is refreshing to see a developer actually taking the time to make sure the game is released in a finished state.

Other gaming companies could learn some very valuable lessons from Bioware in this regard...

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495
    Originally posted by Syno23

I think I was really happy for the 2011 release date, I know that many people have nothing to do and are probably wanting to play this game today, but you have to realize that Star Wars: The Old Republic is getting delayed until 2011 for a few reasons:
    - They've got a lot of funding

- They want to make sure that they have a complete game

- Games such as Age of Conan and Warhammer were great games:

- But really, I hate to say this, but they got boring after a month.

- They want a fun game with balanced PVP
    So, as you can see, Star Wars: The Old Republic is going to get delayed until Spring 2011. Personally I'm excited because when it gets released, I'll have a fun game that I can enjoy for the years to come. I'm going to be very busy in 2010, so a 2011 release date is a bit of a release. Luckily, they have a release date for us, what if 2011 got here and they still didn't have a release date?

The game with the most delays that actually finally released....

Darkfall.

I"m just sayin, the longer you take, the crappier you can make it.

Delays =/= better game.

Either it will be good when it releases or it won't, but development time doesn't equate with a quality game.

ALL MMORPG development works like this:

We got funding. Yay! We want to make this game with 1 bazillion tragillion features!

Ok, we spent half the money, but we're no where near 1 bazillion features. We need to refocus, and concentrate on the most important features.

Ok, we spent all the money. But the games not finished. Oh shit. Can we plez haz moar monies to finish the game?

We got more monies to finish the game! Yay!

Uh, oh. We spent all the monies  on booz and hookerz again, but we wanted to ad a few more features.

Can we haz more monies to finish the game? Plez?

Oh noes! The bastards won't give us moar monies! Guess it's release time.

• Still not that happy that the game is over a year away. I guess if it means that I am playing another game by then I won't be playing SW:TOR. If not I guess that means I will try it out. Nothing really changes, and it is just disturbing how long it is taking them to develop the game. This is one of the longest games in development for a long time.

Edit: To the guy above me who said Darkfall was a long developed and delayed game is confused with the difference between 4 European guys yanking eachother in a room and an actual game development company such as Bioware. Delays by real companies like Bioware, Blizzard, EA, and others normally means it is actually getting better. Although in the end the better they make it in one direction might lead others to not enjoy it because of how closed off it is. Who knows, but just thought i'd respond to the piss poor development of a bunch of j'off in Darkfall compared to an actually development company with regards to SW:TOR.

• omomeomome Member Posts: 203

How do you come to the conclusion that TOR was delayed? They never gave a hint at a realease target til they announced this one.

• impulsebooksimpulsebooks Member Posts: 561

I got an email today from Amazon.co.uk telling me I can now preorder TOR, so I did. I did sign up for this announcement, so it was good news. When I checked the page they had put up for the game, it has an Oct31 2010 release.

wierd

Mark E. Cooper
    AKA Tohrment
    Proud member of Damned Souls since 2007.
    http://www.damnedsouls.eu

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

Maybe they have played STO and realised that people are no longer going to put up with unfinished garbage.  I am pleased with the 2011 date, it means the game will launch in a very good state of play.

• impulsebooksimpulsebooks Member Posts: 561
    Originally posted by Anubisan

I am extremely happy that the release date is in 2011. It is refreshing to see a developer actually taking the time to make sure the game is released in a finished state.
    Other gaming companies could learn some very valuable lessons from Bioware in this regard...

Its not refreshing that a games company pushed back a release date, its not annoying, its nothing really. Wait, that's not quite true. its business as usual. I have lost count of the times I have heard of games being pushed back for all kinds of reasons. Its nothing new at all. If I remember right, Warhammer was pushed back 6 months, and was promised there would be no more delays. What happened? Another 12 month delay and they released it so full of bugs half the population quite in the first month.

WAR is nice in a lot of ways, but it has never really recovered from all the screw ups. I don't think Bioware will make anything like the same mistakes Mythic did thank god, but pointing to a delayed release and saying "look! The game will now be awsome because they are delaying it to make it good. They are doing this for us!" is a silly argument. They are doing it for themselves. They obviously think they need the time to fix what they feel isn't right yet. Maybe they are even doing what some people think, balancing etc.

My concern isn't the release date. Mine is the lack of mention about any kind of beta start. Surely it will take at least a year of testing in beta so they can make changes? Why no word then if the game is "only" a year from release?

Edit spelling

Mark E. Cooper
    AKA Tohrment
    Proud member of Damned Souls since 2007.
    http://www.damnedsouls.eu

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

If the game is nearly complete and they are pushing it back to 2011 when it could release summer solely for hyping purposes, then fuck them. But if they're pushing it back to actually work on the game and get it nice and neat for release, props to Bioware for not rushing.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497
    Originally posted by impulsebooks

Originally posted by Anubisan

Its not refreshing that a games company pushed back a release date, its not annoying, its nothing really. Wait, that's not quite true. its business as usual. I have lost count of the times I have heard of games being pushed back for all kinds of reasons. Its nothing new at all. If I remember right, Warhammer was pushed back 6 months, and was promised there would be no more delays. What happened? Another 12 month delay and they released it so full of bugs half the population quite in the first month.

WAR is nice in a lot of ways, but it has never really recovered from all the screw ups. I don't think Bioware will make anything like the same mistakes Mythic did thank god, but pointing to a delayed release and saying "look! The game will now be awsome because they are delaying it to make it good. They are doing this for us!" is a silly argument. They are doing it for themselves. They obviously think they need the time to fix what they feel isn't right yet. Maybe they are even doing what some people think, balancing etc.

My concern isn't the release date. Mine is the lack of mention about any kind of beta start. Surely it will take at least a year of testing in beta so they can make changes? Why no word then if the game is "only" a year from release?

Edit spelling

When was the last time a game had a beta spanning an entire year? :P

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

As long as they polish the game up im fine with the 2011 release. More time to add content and make tweeks. Ill just play AOC, AIon, and EVE until then.

(BBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHH fires plunger sat the Balur in Aion!)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• bleedxoutbleedxout Member Posts: 27

Wow everyone is stuck on "Why was is pushed back"

- There was never a real release date anyway.

- Even if it was "pushed back" Who cares why? For all anyone knows..  (im just throwing this out as an example) Could be done. and Bioware sat around and said "Well there's so many releases comming out in 2010 with big titles, let's wait a year to release and give the ppl time to get bored of their game, then release and hope our "New game" will capture the crown with the whole "NEW GAME" excitement.

Jesus reading some of your replys is like listening to little kids fight over who has the better G.I.Joe.

What's your Spell rotation in WoW?

What's a spell rotation? i just punch my keyboard!

Dk's = Fail..

Im a Ret pally moron!!

• KilorTheMeekKilorTheMeek Member Posts: 260
    Originally posted by bleedxout

Wow everyone is stuck on "Why was is pushed back"
    - There was never a real release date anyway.
    - Even if it was "pushed back" Who cares why? For all anyone knows..  (im just throwing this out as an example) Could be done. and Bioware sat around and said "Well there's so many releases comming out in 2010 with big titles, let's wait a year to release and give the ppl time to get bored of their game, then release and hope our "New game" will capture the crown with the whole "NEW GAME" excitement.

Jesus reading some of your replys is like listening to little kids fight over who has the better G.I.Joe.

Well said.  I am foaming at the mouth for TOR to come out, but I don't want them to release it before it's ready, and if that means I gotta wait until 2011, I'll wait until 2011.   And as you said... 2010 has quite a few titles coming that will satisfy my appetite while I wait.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
  • brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

What kind of silly question is this?

I don't even know how to respond. I will live my life like I have for the past 31 years. Doesn't effect me at all.

The question I pose to you is why would this effect you at all? Do you plan on not being around in 2011?

• RJMacreadyRJMacready Member Posts: 2

Lets make one thing clear. An MMO that takes longer to launch guarantees you nothing in regards to quality.

Vanguard was started in 2002, they gave it it's name in 2004  ....it did not launch till 2007! And the creator of that game had more expirence then anyone in the business at the time.

Taking longer to do anything in business is never a good thing unless your making wine or chesse.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I  hope they postopone it until 2012. Give it some extra love.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.