Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Champions Online: Revelation Now on Test Server

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,540

Revelation, the upcoming free expansion to Champions Online, is now available for testing on the game's public test server. Yesterday, we reported on the latest Champions Online State of the Game letter, which revealed details on Revelation, and it appears Cryptic Studios isn't wasting any time getting the expansion into your hands. So go ahead, put 'er through the paces!

Preliminary patch notes are available here.

[Thanks Christopher8 for the tip!]

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
Community Manager
Twitter: @eMikeB

Comments

  • StainlessgmrStainlessgmr Member Posts: 12

    yea um, nty cryptic....  building up the hype for a game, then introducing it as a subscribtion w/ cash shop (they actually charge you money if you want more then 2 characters), was 1 cheap way to try and nickel and dime us gamers... but then after sooooo many problems (most of which still aren't fixed), and a very low set lvl limit (resulting in a short game), you decide to come out with the next xpack just about 6months after the initial release, and have the nerve to charge people money for it.  This game would of been great if the bigwigs running it weren't so freakin money hungry....

    Oh and just to mention this for anyone thinking of joining... the game is pretty much dead in the water as is.  Since a huge portion of the community left after alot of BS.. Then more left after they found out the only GM who was trying to help ppl, accidentally let it slip that the xpack was gonna cost more money, and got fired for letting the secret out...

    Just proves my point that when a company tries to squeeze every penny  they can out of a product, the quality goes to sh**.

  • Naturalist99Naturalist99 Member Posts: 182

    I dont support champions, but u are very wrong my friend, they have 8 character slots, more costs money, the xpack was gonna cost money, they dropped the cost, its a free big update now, and the cash shop is just customization, and they are very themed sets that dont look good on there own so no need to spend money there 

    MMOs played: Too many
    Watch List: FFXIV, CoH:GR, GW2, SWTOR, TERA, Earthrise

  • AtPlayAtPlay Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Naturalist99


    I dont support champions, but u are very wrong my friend, they have 8 character slots, more costs money, the xpack was gonna cost money, they dropped the cost, its a free big update now, and the cash shop is just customization, and they are very themed sets that dont look good on there own so no need to spend money there 



     

    When you hit level 40 (the cap), you get a free character slot as well as a free respec.  If you are willing to get to level 40 on each character, you could theoretically have an unlimited amount of slots for free.  Just figured Id add to what Naturalist99 stated about the character slots.

     

  • Naturalist99Naturalist99 Member Posts: 182

     o, they didnt hav that feature in when I quit the game a few months ago

    MMOs played: Too many
    Watch List: FFXIV, CoH:GR, GW2, SWTOR, TERA, Earthrise

  • GrakelGrakel Member Posts: 92

     I haven't been past the free trial since beta but I got to say this was, imho, a short ride on a not so interesting roller coaster. My biggest and earliest disappointment was reusing the same two zones, desert and Canada, after the areas big mission. The lack of zones is bad enough but reusing both of these pretty boring areas was a kick in the teeth.

    I'm not a big fan of CoH either but since my gf seems to have finally tired of WoW, at least temporarily, I'm cancelling that sub tonight to jump back in and see what they're doing over there because I know, as great as the additions CO brought to the table are, ok to the superhero MMO sub-genre anyway (public quests, etc.), it's not for me or anyone else who likes to see what a world has to offer. At least CoH has always given us more than two paths past level 10 whether they were popular or not.

    Let's hope SOE can pull their heads from their collective ends to push out a decent DCUO and doesn't trow us another, again, this is just my opinion, quick cheap ride to separate us from our cash and dump us out for the next passenger stupid enough to get in line. Sorry Cryptic, you had my respect or at least business before 2009.

    Played in some form:
    UO til tram, AC, EQ, AO, WW2O, PS, SB, CoH, AC2, Hor, LoTRO, DDO, AoC, Aion, CO, STO
    Playing: WoW (for gf), WAR
    Waiting For: SWTOR, FFXVI
    Hoping For: DCUO, Secret World, Earthrise
    -S- (UO Sonoma)

  • championsFanchampionsFan Member Posts: 419

    I still play CO everyday and it is my favorite 3D game of all time.  It's all about the gameplay for me, the act of playing is so fun. Compared to CO there is no other game that lets me move an avatar in 3D with so much speed, while being so responsive,  and having so many commands and actions available.   It is the same feeling as with a game like Super Mario World: the act of controlling the game is inherently fun.  I never had that in a 3D game before CO, in other games characters always feel too clunky and limited (MMOs are usually the worst offenders, but really I am comparing to all 3D games).

    Also, I feel that CO contains all of the genres that video games are usually set in: fantasy, sci-fi, ninjas, military soldiers,  etc.   My roster of characters includes Mega Man, Solid Snake, a Space Marine from Warhammer 40k, a Sith Inquisitor, a borg, various sorceresses, demon beasts, etc.  These are good renditions, the characters have costumes, skills, and animations that all match the themes I built them to be.   Put another way, it is not just a fleeting novelty, I play these characters for dozens of hours and continually derive enjoyment from the degree to which they are cool copies of characters I like from other games and media.   Besides just character customization, all of those genres I mentioned are also represented in the locations and foes.  I can make custom nemesises, Mega Man has Sigma and Dr Wily, the borg has a member of Species 8472, etc.   I can see how the feeling/illusion would not hold up for many gamers, I understand that, but for me CO really is a dozen genres in one game.  

    Cryptic is trying a Customer Development approach to MMO creation.

  • SquidiSquidi Member Posts: 419
    Originally posted by Grakel


     I haven't been past the free trial since beta but I got to say this was, imho, a short ride on a not so interesting roller coaster. My biggest and earliest disappointment was reusing the same two zones, desert and Canada, after the areas big mission. The lack of zones is bad enough but reusing both of these pretty boring areas was a kick in the teeth.
    All the zones in the game come with an accompanying crisis mission. Canada and the Desert operate as sort of an extended tutorial, while Monster Island and Lemuria are more team-based epic missions. And the crisis zones are considerably smaller than the full zones. The desert's crisis area is probably 1/20th the full desert zone.
     
    I'm not a big fan of CoH either but since my gf seems to have finally tired of WoW, at least temporarily, I'm cancelling that sub tonight to jump back in and see what they're doing over there because I know, as great as the additions CO brought to the table are, ok to the superhero MMO sub-genre anyway (public quests, etc.), it's not for me or anyone else who likes to see what a world has to offer. At least CoH has always given us more than two paths past level 10 whether they were popular or not.
    CoH is a fine game and I hope you enjoy your stay there. But if you complaints about CO is that they reuse zones, prepare to see a lot of the same warehouse and office building in CoH.
     
    Let's hope SOE can pull their heads from their collective ends to push out a decent DCUO and doesn't trow us another, again, this is just my opinion, quick cheap ride to separate us from our cash and dump us out for the next passenger stupid enough to get in line. Sorry Cryptic, you had my respect or at least business before 2009.
    You are welcome to think whatever you like about Cryptic. Certainly some of the bad press is well deserved. But to look towards SoE as your savior is just foolish. Many of the complaints against Cryptic are for things SoE did first (and worse).

     

  • GrakelGrakel Member Posts: 92

     As stated those were my opinions and I have every right to them. Yes CoH reuses so much it's one of the reasons I left but at least the zones are different enough to give me a break from the office buildings and warehouses. As for SOE being a savior of anything, especially to me, I think you smoked some bad oregano. SOE is the worst MMO company to date, followed closely now by Cryptic, again in my opinion, but I won't bad mouth a game because it's being run by idiots and/or assholes until I've at least played it. Granted I'm not holding my breath because SOE is in charge but I can at least be hopeful.

    CoH is by no one's reckoning, that I've met anyway, a perfect game but it is my choice after having spent time with both of them.

    Played in some form:
    UO til tram, AC, EQ, AO, WW2O, PS, SB, CoH, AC2, Hor, LoTRO, DDO, AoC, Aion, CO, STO
    Playing: WoW (for gf), WAR
    Waiting For: SWTOR, FFXVI
    Hoping For: DCUO, Secret World, Earthrise
    -S- (UO Sonoma)

  • therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by championsFan


    I still play CO everyday and it is my favorite 3D game of all time.  It's all about the gameplay for me, the act of playing is so fun. Compared to CO there is no other game that lets me move an avatar in 3D with so much speed, while being so responsive,  and having so many commands and actions available.   It is the same feeling as with a game like Super Mario World: the act of controlling the game is inherently fun.  I never had that in a 3D game before CO, in other games characters always feel too clunky and limited (MMOs are usually the worst offenders, but really I am comparing to all 3D games).
    Also, I feel that CO contains all of the genres that video games are usually set in: fantasy, sci-fi, ninjas, military soldiers,  etc.   My roster of characters includes Mega Man, Solid Snake, a Space Marine from Warhammer 40k, a Sith Inquisitor, a borg, various sorceresses, demon beasts, etc.  These are good renditions, the characters have costumes, skills, and animations that all match the themes I built them to be.   Put another way, it is not just a fleeting novelty, I play these characters for dozens of hours and continually derive enjoyment from the degree to which they are cool copies of characters I like from other games and media.   Besides just character customization, all of those genres I mentioned are also represented in the locations and foes.  I can make custom nemesises, Mega Man has Sigma and Dr Wily, the borg has a member of Species 8472, etc.   I can see how the feeling/illusion would not hold up for many gamers, I understand that, but for me CO really is a dozen genres in one game.  



     

    For a similar offline experience, you may want to try Freedom Force for the PC or Marvel Ultimate Alliance for any of the consoles.  I'm glad you're enjoying the game -- it says a lot (in a good way) that you bring so much background into each of your characters.  ( ' :

Sign In or Register to comment.