Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Miracle patch slightly less than miraculous.

Comments

• NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242
    Originally posted by Raknar

* The added skill books are not added.
    * Keep Plans and Palisades are not added.

These ones are my favourites. How can you release a patch with content that isn't actually in the game? Isn't that the first thing you'd check when testing any changes you've made? Seriously, if I coded in a new set of books, the first thing I'd do is log in and make sure they're appearing in the game, then I'd test to make sure they're working as intended.

I know they're a small team, indie developer, not much budget etc, but that isn't an excuse for having absolutely no quality control on their work whatsoever. It just smacks of unprofessionalism, developers just throwing in code and releasing it without even bothering to check it actually works. I want this game to succeed but I can't see how it will possibly do that with such sloppy development practices.

• davmac22davmac22 Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by Neoptolemus 
    I know they're a small team, indie developer, not much budget etc, but that isn't an excuse for having absolutely no quality control on their work whatsoever. It just smacks of unprofessionalism, developers just throwing in code and releasing it without even bothering to check it actually works. I want this game to succeed but I can't see how it will possibly do that with such sloppy development practices.

Everyone is starting to find that out.

imageimageimage

• TilranTilran Member Posts: 42

These ones are my favourites. How can you release a patch with content that isn't actually in the game? Isn't that the first thing you'd check when testing any changes you've made? Seriously, if I coded in a new set of books, the first thing I'd do is log in and make sure they're appearing in the game, then I'd test to make sure they're working as intended.

I honestly cant tell if you were being sarcastic in this post...but in case you werent:

Did I miss them launching the game?  What are you talking about with this "how can they release a patch without testing it?"

Last I looked....this was a Beta TEST...guess what....the testers saw it was not added....tada...tested.  Are you being serious? lol

Too many people think Beta is a marketing tactic used as a demo of the game.  This is a small team, their marketing guy is probably the same guy doing the model skinning and doing the voice-over for 10 characters.  They are not an EA that has a developed game in Beta and invites people for the sole fact of spreading the word and getting server numbers on the load.

When they invited you to this test...they actually want you to.....yup test.

Now I'm waiting idle for this game to be released to see if it goes the way of most MMOs lately or if it actually is fun patiently...I recommend most people do the same.  MMOs are dead currently....lets hope SOMEONE revives the industry.

Originally posted by Tilran

I honestly cant tell if you were being sarcastic in this post...but in case you werent:
    Did I miss them launching the game?  What are you talking about with this "how can they release a patch without testing it?"
    Last I looked....this was a Beta TEST...guess what....the testers saw it was not added....tada...tested.  Are you being serious? lol
    Too many people think Beta is a marketing tactic used as a demo of the game.  This is a small team, their marketing guy is probably the same guy doing the model skinning and doing the voice-over for 10 characters.  They are not an EA that has a developed game in Beta and invites people for the sole fact of spreading the word and getting server numbers on the load.
    Now I'm waiting idle for this game to be released to see if it goes the way of most MMOs lately or if it actually is fun patiently...I recommend most people do the same.  MMOs are dead currently....lets hope SOMEONE revives the industry.

I was being serious. I know it's a beta, but my point was that they need to exercise some kind of quality control with their development. The point of an open beta is to get thousands of people testing their content, which increases the chances of detecting bugs that are hard to reproduce or not immediately obvious and more importantly get the servers ready for release.

That means they should be doing their own internal testing as well to ensure that their content at least works for crying out loud, and to fix up the obvious problems so that it can then be released to the masses for further polish. Why release something that doesn't work for testing? All they'll get in reply is "it doesn't work". Great, then when they do get it to appear in game, there'll be further testing needed to then iron out the dozens of bugs that will no doubt be present. Just a tiny bit of quality control like checking something actually works before submitting for wider testing will save us having to state the obvious to them and will reduce the need to release dozens of patches.

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

Wheres the real patch?

I win!!! LOL@U

• RaknarRaknar Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by Tilran

Voiceovers? This is a sandbox, the only voices are the ones in your head.

Seriously though, I can tell by your post you haven't actually tried it, yet here you are blindly defending it.

• TJ_420TJ_420 Member Posts: 224

the voice overs in MO are in piglatin. You need to be hardcore enough to learn piglatin or GTFO and play WOW.... Next patch all NPCs will speak Manderin Chinise Phillipino Spanish mix- Thats Hardcore.

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456
    Too many people think Beta is a marketing tactic used as a demo of the game. 

Unfortunatley, SV including closed beta access with the purchase of the game turned beta into a marketing tactic. So the testers can't really be blamed for thinking it now, after all they are invested some since the very beggining of closed beta.

Originally posted by TJ_420

the voice overs in MO are in piglatin. You need to be hardcore enough to learn piglatin or GTFO and play WOW.... Next patch all NPCs will speak Manderin Chinise Phillipino Spanish mix- Thats Hardcore.

No, they'll all "sign"... The" intern" doing the emotes seems to be the only one with a clue.

I win!!! LOL@U

Originally posted by Cochran1

Unfortunatley, SV including closed beta access with the purchase of the game turned beta into a marketing tactic. So the testers can't really be blamed for thinking it now, after all they are invested some since the very beggining of closed beta.

Weird, SV seems to think its a marketing tactic also.

"The Free Open Beta is one of the most important marketing activities for the game; we

are expecting a substantial number of new gamers wanting to try the game as this starts

to spread in the gaming community."

I win!!! LOL@U

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

As a fox with a genius IQ, sometimes you don't know what problems you're faced with until you're done building things. And no matter what you build, there's always room for improvement! Don't take these small guys for granted. Sometimes even the least likely of people can do something great.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by HanoverZ

"The Free Open Beta is one of the most important marketing activities for the game; we

are expecting a substantial number of new gamers wanting to try the game as this starts

lol thanks I was gonna find it and paste it in, but I'm just too lazy tonight.

lol thanks I was gonna find it and paste it in, but I'm just too lazy tonight.

Source: www.starvault.se/20100129 MO Release.pdf

I win!!! LOL@U

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Which says they have no money for a real marketing plan, OB is possibly all you will see in regard to pre-launch marketing, other than a preview or two. Which is not good at all for the game, when 90% of your marketing is based around bad experiences with open beta. Nothing good can come of this.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Clearly SV is having massive issues during the open beta getting stuff right, but I see no reason to cut them slack. If they are a small company with limited staff and budget who clearly can not compete with bigger studios, then the prices they charge should reflect that. Im sorry but if you want to charge the same as major studios, you best be able to be able to keep up with them in terms of progress.

Also if they are struggling this much with a beta, what will happen down the road with updating? Will they botch up the game repeatedly each time there is an update? How about expansions, will the game be an unplayable mess each time they release some sort of expansion and how long will it take?

I grew up with UO, and though ever since I have craved for a game to replace its depth and complexity, I would much rather wait for a company who can do it correctly, than a company who charges full price for a game they cant even patch or get the client working well on.

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

Commenting on some of the earlier posters, this is why we will never have another great MMO. Companies who have money see games like WOW and how well it is doing with a theme park model. If you wanted to make money would you use a method that has proven profitable or the one where 50% of your users freak out and yell "FAIL!" in TESTING all over the web with a bad TEST patch. There is a lot more to an sand box MMO, than a theme park. This studio is small, and I hear that most of them are artists, so I expect the road to be bumpy. Sadly, though if people keep saying they want an sand box MMO and then as soon as one is in testing bash the hell out of it, we are never going to see a major studio attempt a sand box MMO. I for one see them having mostly artists as possibly a good point. Since, they are not the average group of MMO programmers and are totally out of sync with programming, instead of building features that are easy to implement and practical, they are trying fresh ideas and doing everything they can to make them work properly. Not that practical ideas are not good, but easy and practical is the first stepping stone to a theme park MMO.

There should not be any complaints from people that a game in testing is messed up as if we are talking about a final product.. The game is sloppy, I get it, we all played it. I don't know if I am the only one, but im sick of paying 50 bucks for a online game that holds me on a leash and tells me where to do my buisness. A small company like this should be praised for its efforts, even if they are a bit crazy with patching issues.At least they are going out of their way to try to bring something new to the market with limited resources. On top of that they didnt just fall back into making some shallow game with the deliver mail from point A to B quest line. If MMO players really want sand box MMO's, and from what I read on the forums we do, then the players as a community need to mature a bit and cut some slack. Small companies with big ideas is where a lot of innovation comes from. 

Even if MO flops, SV will have at least put down another stepping stone to where sand box MMO players want to be. I full heartedly thank SV for attempting to go against the grain, and win or lose they were brave enough to take the steps to a better virtual world experience in the name of the players. Cheers to you gentlemen, and thank you for your service from all us sand box fantasy MMO players out there waiting for a home!

KillSmallChi, we're not bashing the game or SV because they're trying to do something different (at least I'm not). I applaud creativity and innovation and I wish this game would work. My complaint lies in that their development process is shoddy and it's turning a potentially great game into a mess.

Being a small indie team is no excuse for releasing poorly made crap that is lucky if it even works. Just look at Natural Selection 2, that's a small indie team and their pre-alpha footage looks well-polished and extremely professional, far more so than Mortal Online's open beta. Dwarf Fortress is absolutely gigantic in scope and incredibly complex under the hood, yet it's made by just one person. The difference is that they work to within their limits, and they build the game up bit by bit ensuring that each step in the development progress is rigorously checked to ensure quality before being released for wider testing.

Starvault on the other hand have just thrown together poorly coded junk in a rush to meet the deadline and to tick off their feature list. Oh no, we haven't included the promised day/night cycle yet! Quick just hack in some code together quickly and throw it out there, we'll fix it later! It's only an open beta after all, we don't need to bother checking our work for quality!

They may be new and experimental, but at the end of the day this is still a retail product they intend to charge money for, and for that reason they owe it to their customers to produce a quality product, especially since they've taken pre-orders. The open beta is not a "get out of jail free" card for a poorly made product.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I tried this game briefly and just a few days ago Darkfall. I am really enjoying the latter. MO has potential...and I will try it in a year if it is still around but since Darkfall is far better than I expected, I think I may sub.

MO has a better character customization system but I'm surprise they didn't allow you to have a circumsized/uncircumsized option for male models or areolae size/color variance for women......... as there were far too many soft bits running about.  Controls were very clunky...understandable for a test. Graphics were so-so. If thats important to you.

I played a gutter snipe. Which is a thief/rogue of sorts. I found it ridiculous that you had to find some perfect position facing the other player..at the perfect distance. And snoop then steal. Only the hot-keys didn't seem to work ..so ...by the time you hit the key to switch to cursor mode..then went to click the action bar for each action..while waiting for the extremely slow response time..the target has already moved on.  I submitted a few "tickets" to let them know that this seemed a problem.

All I can say is I'll give it time...but beta or not..it was too unbearable for me to tolerate. A beta should still incorporate some fun...which I couldn't experience with MO.

*The darkfall comparison may not be fair..since DF has a year jumpstart on MO since release and about 9 years of development lol.

Originally posted by BarCrow

I tried this game briefly and just a few days ago Darkfall. I am really enjoying darkfall. MO has potential...and I will try it in a year if it is still around but DF is far better than I expected . SO I think I may sub. MO has a better character customization system but I'm surprise they didnt allow you to have a circumsized/uncircumsized option for male models or areola  size/color variance for women......... as there were far too many soft bits running about.  Controls were very clunky...understandable for a test. Graphics were soso. If thats important to you.
             I played a gutter snipe. Which is a thief/rogue of sorts. I found it ridiculous that you had to find some perfect position facing the other player..at the perfect distance. And snoop then steal. Only the hotkeys didn't seem to work ..so ...by the time you hit the key to switch to cursor mode..then went to click the action bar for each action..while waiting foor the extremely slow response time..the target has already moved on. Very poor design one that I'm sure will be addressed in the future. I submitted a few "tickets" to let them know. All I can say is I'll give it time...but beta or not..it was too unbearable for me to tolerate. A beta should still incorporate some fun.,,which I couldn't experience with MO.
    *the darkfall comparison may not be fair..since DF has a year jumpstart on MO.

Can you elaborate a bit more on character customization? Can you customize a character's makeup, advanced face features (chin, nose, etc), and muscle/weight? I'd really appreciate that. Hard to find MO Character customization videos because of the nudity, and even harder to find some of women that aren't grainy.

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

Still going to play.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by Miles-Prower

I tried this game briefly and just a few days ago Darkfall. I am really enjoying darkfall. MO has potential...and I will try it in a year if it is still around but DF is far better than I expected . SO I think I may sub. MO has a better character customization system but I'm surprise they didnt allow you to have a circumsized/uncircumsized option for male models or areola  size/color variance for women......... as there were far too many soft bits running about.  Controls were very clunky...understandable for a test. Graphics were soso. If thats important to you.
             I played a gutter snipe. Which is a thief/rogue of sorts. I found it ridiculous that you had to find some perfect position facing the other player..at the perfect distance. And snoop then steal. Only the hotkeys didn't seem to work ..so ...by the time you hit the key to switch to cursor mode..then went to click the action bar for each action..while waiting foor the extremely slow response time..the target has already moved on. Very poor design one that I'm sure will be addressed in the future. I submitted a few "tickets" to let them know. All I can say is I'll give it time...but beta or not..it was too unbearable for me to tolerate. A beta should still incorporate some fun.,,which I couldn't experience with MO.

Can you elaborate a bit more on character customization? Can you customize a character's makeup, advanced face features (chin, nose, etc), and muscle/weight? I'd really appreciate that. Hard to find MO Character customization videos because of the nudity, and even harder to find some of women that aren't grainy.

When I say better customization than Darkfall...keep in mind..DF ..imo..does not offer much customization at all. Barely enough to distinguish one male/female from another.  In MO..you pick a race ..then can customize ..mostly facial things..like brow protrusion ..facial hair...hair style /color..eyes size/.color,,nose bridge location..skin color. All to small degrees. More customization than WOW and Darkfall but definitely less than AoC or CoX.  It also gives you points to distribute amongst basic attributes...one of which is size..which increase height (appearing to me to increase overall size evenly) and in turn..increased certain physical traits. I found looting clunky and bizarre. When you kill something...it takes an unusually long time for a cluster of bloody bladders to grossly float to the ground.I couldn't tell if these were suppose to be bags or entrails lol...then much like stealing...you had to position and sometimes re-position a certain distance from the "bags" ..sometimes pressing one button to target and another to open. I dont want auto-loot...but this was a bit too tedious and buggy. Again...still in beta so this will surely change.

When I say better customization than Darkfall...keep in mind..DF ..imo..does not offer much customization at all. Barely enough to distinguish one male/female from another.  In MO..you pick a race ..then can customize ..mostly facial things..like brow protrusion ..facial hair...hair style /color..eyes size/.color,,nose bridge location..skin color. All to small degrees. More customization than WOW and Darkfall but definitely less than AoC or CoX.  It also gives you points to distribute amongst basic attributes...one of which is size..which increase height (appearing to me to increase overall size evenly) and in turn..increased certain physical traits. I found looting clunky and bizarre. When you kill something...it takes an unusually long time for a cluster of bloody bladders to grossly float to the ground.I couldn't tell if these were suppose to be bags or entrails lol...then much like stealing...you had to position and sometimes re-position a certain distance from the "bags" ..sometimes pressing one button to target and another to open. I dont want auto-loot...but this was a bit too tedious and buggy. Again...still in beta so this will surely change.

Too bad. I'm very picky about character customization. I especially like having the ability to do my character's makeup. Ah well.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if  you can!

imageimageimage

Too bad. I'm very picky about character customization. I especially like having the ability to do my character's makeup. Ah well.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if  you can!

makeup?????

I win!!! LOL@U

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Originally posted by Killsmallchi

Commenting on some of the earlier posters, this is why we will never have another great MMO. Companies who have money see games like WOW and how well it is doing with a theme park model. If you wanted to make money would you use a method that has proven profitable or the one where 50% of your users freak out and yell "FAIL!" in TESTING all over the web with a bad TEST patch. There is a lot more to an sand box MMO, than a theme park. This studio is small, and I hear that most of them are artists, so I expect the road to be bumpy. Sadly, though if people keep saying they want an sand box MMO and then as soon as one is in testing bash the hell out of it, we are never going to see a major studio attempt a sand box MMO. I for one see them having mostly artists as possibly a good point. Since, they are not the average group of MMO programmers and are totally out of sync with programming, instead of building features that are easy to implement and practical, they are trying fresh ideas and doing everything they can to make them work properly. Not that practical ideas are not good, but easy and practical is the first stepping stone to a theme park MMO.
    There should not be any complaints from people that a game in testing is messed up as if we are talking about a final product.. The game is sloppy, I get it, we all played it. I don't know if I am the only one, but im sick of paying 50 bucks for a online game that holds me on a leash and tells me where to do my buisness. A small company like this should be praised for its efforts, even if they are a bit crazy with patching issues.At least they are going out of their way to try to bring something new to the market with limited resources. On top of that they didnt just fall back into making some shallow game with the deliver mail from point A to B quest line. If MMO players really want sand box MMO's, and from what I read on the forums we do, then the players as a community need to mature a bit and cut some slack. Small companies with big ideas is where a lot of innovation comes from. 
    Even if MO flops, SV will have at least put down another stepping stone to where sand box MMO players want to be. I full heartedly thank SV for attempting to go against the grain, and win or lose they were brave enough to take the steps to a better virtual world experience in the name of the players. Cheers to you gentlemen, and thank you for your service from all us sand box fantasy MMO players out there waiting for a home!

I couldn't disagree more strongly.  Game developers and publishing companies are out to make money.  This goes for Indie studies as well as massive ones like Blizzard.  If we really want GOOD sandbox games we should NOT support the shovelware/fix it later mentality.  We should NOT be helping to lower the (already ridiculously low) bar for released products.   THAT my friend is the surest way to guarantee failure for the sandbox genre.   Instead we need to demand a complete and functional game.. so that when the non-hardcore crowd goes and tries it, they are amazed and fall in love with the game.  As it stands, as proven by the massive poll on these forums, the OVERWHELMING majority of people exposed to Mortal have a horrendous impression of the game.  How exactly does that HELP those of us that really want sandboxes to thrive?  It doesn't help at all and just turns off a chunk of the gaming base to the entire genre... possibly forever.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GobwarGobwar Member Posts: 121

Why did someone say this patch as a miracle patch in first place?

You can burn me, but i wont die.