Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MO at Night

124»

Comments

• GobwarGobwar Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by elderotter

I have truly enjoyed reading this thread.  It has proven 1 thing to me - there are people who will praise this game no matter what happens and there are people who will bash this game no matter what happens. 
    In regard to the darkness issue: this game is supposed to be about realism, now you know why long ago people stayed inside during the dark hours - that's realism.  Of course if I wanted only realism I wouldn't play games I would just live my real life with no fantasy atttached.  I don't want total realism in my games, but that's me, those of you who do go and play MO and huddle in your homes when it is dark. lol.

Darkness is really great! It brings a whole new dimension to the game as when night comes, people actually run in to the citys and start communicating, crafting and doing numerous different stuff. When they actually add taverns and other social hubs the night is going to be huge feature in terms of roleplaying and just 'hanging around' :) Even at this point.

You can burn me, but i wont die.

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651
    Originally posted by Gobwar

I have truly enjoyed reading this thread.  It has proven 1 thing to me - there are people who will praise this game no matter what happens and there are people who will bash this game no matter what happens. 
    In regard to the darkness issue: this game is supposed to be about realism, now you know why long ago people stayed inside during the dark hours - that's realism.  Of course if I wanted only realism I wouldn't play games I would just live my real life with no fantasy atttached.  I don't want total realism in my games, but that's me, those of you who do go and play MO and huddle in your homes when it is dark. lol.

Darkness is really great! It brings a whole new dimension to the game as when night comes, people actually run in to the citys and start communicating, crafting and doing numerous different stuff. When they actually add taverns and other social hubs the night is going to be huge feature in terms of roleplaying and just 'hanging around' :) Even at this point.

for that there is facebook, which doesn't cost me a monthly sub, lol.

I never said it forced you to that, but it's definitely a great feature in all terms of gameplay. Also, a lot of people enjoy RP:ing and communicating inside the game, discussing about anything.

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651

I never said it forced you to that, but it's definitely a great feature in all terms of gameplay. Also, a lot of people enjoy RP:ing and communicating inside the game, discussing about anything.

ok, np, you like the potential of this game. I hope it launches and you have fun playing it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I missed dark nights, havn't seen it since Lineage. You should need torches when the moon isn't up or in dungeons in any MMO unless you play a dwarf or something. 

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272
    Originally posted by Loke666

I missed dark nights, havn't seen it since Lineage. You should need torches when the moon isn't up or in dungeons in any MMO unless you play a dwarf or something. 

If that's your idea of fun, have at it.

Everybody else actually likes to have fun and not just during the day, and not with the inconvenience of it being pitch black at night. If they are going for uber realism great -- but it speaks to the fact they have no idea how to develop a business plan around a game, or keep customers playing.

How many people do you think they will gain with pitch black nights? How many do they have the potential to lose? It's simple business logic, and even in a niche game you design it to be PROFITABLE. But I guess that's what you get when you have dad's money to make a game.

• alucard3000alucard3000 Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by HerculesSAS

Everybody else actually likes to have fun and not just during the day, and not with the inconvenience of it being pitch black at night. If they are going for uber realism great -- but it speaks to the fact they have no idea how to develop a business plan around a game, or keep customers playing.

How many people do you think they will gain with pitch black nights? How many do they have the potential to lose? It's simple business logic, and even in a niche game you design it to be PROFITABLE. But I guess that's what you get when you have dad's money to make a game.

some people find it fun to accelerate crotch rockets to 100 miles an hour and stand on the handle bars in the middle of traffic now is it logical or safe definately not lol

Originally posted by OoMpAlOmPaZ

QQ more?

Obviously you don't get the fact that it is marketed towards a niche group of players, and that is the hardcore pvp'ers. This is not a theme park and your hand will not be held throughout the game. If you don't like realism or even this style of sandbox, GTFO we don't need you, but at the moment, this game feels more like a UT3 mod then anything. :(

It's marketed towards hardcore PvPers.

It's not meant for hardcore PvPers. That's why all the old UO players (myself included) saw this game and tried it, then laughed our heads off at thinking it's even a CLOSE comparison.

It's not about themepark, or 'niche', or hardcore, or whatever -- it's about making the game last. And right now the game has no underlying design, it's just a bunch of stolen features from other games, badly implemented in the hopes they will make something like UO. It's a joke. You said it yourself, it feels like a UT3 mod -- there's a reason for that. Well actually no -- the UT3 mods are actually more fun than this.

And yea, if I'm going to invest time into an MMO, I want it to last a while so my time invested doesn't go to waste. MO has no staying power because they didn't think of the business plan at all, and I'm just using the day/night cycle as an example to that point. It's not hardcore to turn the gamma down to zero, hell -- go play another game and do it there. Then you'll be more "hardcore" too.

Originally posted by OoMpAlOmPaZ

QQ more?

Obviously you don't get the fact that it is marketed towards a niche group of players, and that is the hardcore pvp'ers. This is not a theme park and your hand will not be held throughout the game. If you don't like realism or even this style of sandbox, GTFO we don't need you, but at the moment, this game feels more like a UT3 mod then anything. :(

really QQ is that what you see his post as I for 1 see it as common sense but hey who knows Darkfall is for hardcore pvpers but yet they are trying to do something to get more business but hey if hardcore pvpers are a niche and profitable how is separating the hardcore pvp niche in 2 going to help your cause that would be like on election year republicans or democrats dividing and starting another group and in doing so lose the election because of 2 smaller groups than 1 big 1

oh and I guess like he said get out star vault doesnt need your money they have enough to put out a well developed game

• neceoneceo Member Posts: 22

I am guessing no one here played EQ in the early days ...

humans = couldn't really see at night , needed a spell or something equipped that gave night vision

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

MO players are so hardcore that they don't need so see the game their playing.

Why dont you guys go the extra mile? just turn the PC off and imagine the game while staring at a blank monitor. same shit.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

Originally posted by neceo

humans = couldn't really see at night , needed a spell or something equipped that gave night vision

I havnt but I know irl I can still see more in the dark after my eyes adjust than this game so if realism is the goal fail

and I know in my unreal life (that being a game) I dont need it to be tedious just fun and so far it hasnt been fun, on top of the pitch black being lost at night with a big full moon the scarcity of finding stuff to kill is a pain

on top of that the (5 miles figuratively speaking or am I) that i had to run to find some stuff to kill only got worse when I was killed by another player as i was either close to killing the pig or it was close to killing me I now cant remember I just know so and so hit me for 30 I had to run all over again twice 5 miles figuratively speaking back to the priest in ghost form and 5 miles (fig speaking) back to where i was killing the pig

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Why dont you guys go the extra mile? just turn the PC off and imagine the game while staring at a blank monitor. same shit.

This made me LOL

• davmac22davmac22 Member Posts: 283

/agree

imageimageimage

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Haha, too bad the camp fires dont give off light ... maybe thats done on purpose too though

Originally posted by punchrx

Haha, too bad the camp fires dont give off light ... maybe thats done on purpose too though

Yea I would have thought you'd be able to see them, but basically their "night" system is turn gamma down to zero.

LOL

It's funny when four bashers to talk to theirselfs when they already know the other basher ain't going to subscribe, why don't you get a long in messenger or anything :)?

It's funny when four bashers to talk to theirselfs when they already know the other basher ain't going to subscribe, why don't you get a long in messenger or anything :)?

I have no idea what you just said.

I have no idea what you just said.

is a basher a class or a race?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by alucard3000

I havnt but I know irl I can still see more in the dark after my eyes adjust than this game so if realism is the goal fail

and I know in my unreal life (that being a game) I dont need it to be tedious just fun and so far it hasnt been fun, on top of the pitch black being lost at night with a big full moon the scarcity of finding stuff to kill is a pain

on top of that the (5 miles figuratively speaking or am I) that i had to run to find some stuff to kill only got worse when I was killed by another player as i was either close to killing the pig or it was close to killing me I now cant remember I just know so and so hit me for 30 I had to run all over again twice 5 miles figuratively speaking back to the priest in ghost form and 5 miles (fig speaking) back to where i was killing the pig

Go far into the woods, away from any cities and towns, and you will find that if there is no moon or stars out due to heavy cloud or tree cover, it is totally, completely dark outside.  You can't see the hand in front of your face. (literally)

Not saying MO has accurately rendered reality, but having darkness hinder visibility is a mechanic I haven't seen since the early days of DAOC where you really did need your torrch to see well and we'd all color our armor black and douse those torches during PVP so the other side woudn't see us coming.

I'd be in favor it if it was done right, but we are talking SV here.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by davmac22

/agree

your signature is awesome I am sure you have heard it before but hehe

Originally posted by Kyleran

Go far into the woods, away from any cities and towns, and you will find that if there is no moon or stars out due to heavy cloud or tree cover, it is totally, completely dark outside.  You can't see the hand in front of your face. (literally)

Not saying MO has accurately rendered reality, but having darkness hinder visibility is a mechanic I haven't seen since the early days of DAOC where you really did need your torrch to see well and we'd all color our armor black and douse those torches during PVP so the other side woudn't see us coming.

I'd be in favor it if it was done right, but we are talking SV here.

i have been in those places in a wooded area its called "camping" and my experiences have never been with a big ass rv with a satelite dish on it come on people are not as in the dark as you make it out to be lol figuratively and literally(esp with a big ass moon looming over your head in an open plain)

if its pitch black at 1st hey no problem but after some time it should be to a point of being distinguishable unless your half blind your eyes will adjust that is a fact

or wait whats next a box you play in in your game room  that has swords and clubs and what not that activate and bash you every time you receive a blow in game?

• NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242

i have been in those places in a wooded area its called "camping" and my experiences have never been with a big ass rv with a satelite dish on it come on people are not as in the dark as you make it out to be lol figuratively and literally(esp with a big ass moon looming over your head in an open plain)
    if its pitch black at 1st hey no problem but after some time it should be to a point of being distinguishable unless your half blind your eyes will adjust that is a fact
    or wait whats next a box you play in in your game room  that has swords and clubs and what not that activate and bash you every time you receive a blow in game?

Indeed. Having done plenty of night navigation exercises without the use of torches or any kind of night vision, I can confirm that unless you're in a dense forest, you can definitely see where you're going even on a cloudy night. Ok, so you might stumble on the occasional small mound, but you could easily pick out a treeline or hill from a distance. The only time I'd say it ever gets as dark as Mortal Online is when you're in a very dense forest.

To be honest, I'd say that lighting a torch like in MO would actually make things worse, it would ruin your night vision and result in you becoming short-sighted.