Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting to get really irritating...

AzerinAzerin Member Posts: 170

So here's another blatant ripoff from WoW to add to the pile building around this game...

I decided to donwload the 7-day trial and as I'm staring at a loading screen, I see this:

"An infestation of Skitters nearly wiped out all of civilization almost 500 years ago" (or something along those lines)

Sensing a very close sounding resemblance  to WoW's "War of The Shifting Sands" story arc in Silithus, involving the Alliance and Horde together battling the Qiraji to save Azeroth, I quickly read up on some Alganon lore on the Alganon website to discover that the "Skitters" are also large insectoids like the Quiraji, and all the races in Alganon had to unite to drive them back some 500 years ago.

Ok QO, seriously: WTF???

Can't think of anything else to threaten the land? I mean the similiarities are painfully obvious. You guys all must be in wheelchairs there by now since you all shot yourselves in the foot so much, there should be nothing but stumps left.

Comments

• AzerinAzerin Member Posts: 170

Not sure how you interpret that as raging. A little frustration at the serious lack of originality demonstrated by this company? Sure. But raging I am not.

• Esther-ChanEsther-Chan Member Posts: 288
    Originally posted by Azerin

So here's another blatant ripoff from WoW to add to the pile building around this game...
    I decided to donwload the 7-day trial and as I'm staring at a loading screen, I see this:
    "An infestation of Skitters nearly wiped out all of civilization almost 500 years ago" (or something along those lines)
    Sensing a very close sounding resemblance  to WoW's "War of The Shifting Sands" story arc in Silithus, involving the Alliance and Horde together battling the Qiraji to save Azeroth, I quickly read up on some Alganon lore on the Alganon website to discover that the "Skitters" are also large insectoids like the Quiraji, and all the races in Alganon had to unite to drive them back some 500 years ago.
    Ok QO, seriously: WTF???
    Can't think of anything else to threaten the land? I mean the similiarities are painfully obvious. You guys all must be in wheelchairs there by now since you all shot yourselves in the foot so much, there should be nothing but stumps left.

I noticed this, too, when I read the story. It seemed way too similar. I know there's some generic similarities between epic battles, but a lot of this seemed like a rip-off.

As for this game, the community is in a big uproar right now because there are talks of making it Free to play. Whether or not this is true, I don't know.

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Did you not read the other posts with the exact same content here?

If there's a  thread  that points out the similarities between the Qiraji in WoW and the Skitter in Alganon, I must have missed it.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I saw a lot of threads that bashed Alganon for copying WoW (identical UI, similar yet worsee graphics, etc.), but I never saw anything mention the similarity of the skitters to the Quiraji.  This is news to me.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Yeah it took a place longer than 500 years ago I believe. I guess on the one hand, if part of Alganon's history has some likeness to Azeroth's (Insectoid population threatening the world), it's not a big deal, but I just hope they don't have some sort of in-game event where the Skitter threat re-emerges and all races must unite blah blah blah.

At least the upcoming "The Dawning" event isn't going down that route...

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Esther-Chan

I noticed this, too, when I read the story. It seemed way too similar. I know there's some generic similarities between epic battles, but a lot of this seemed like a rip-off.

As for this game, the community is in a big uproar right now because there are talks of making it Free to play. Whether or not this is true, I don't know.

What community? There has been barely more than two posts per day for the past week for those who still follow Alganon progress and are still non-subscribers, and of those two, one of those per day has been about Allods. You might have gotten as many as 14 posts per day up until the slip-up that strongly hinted at a new subcriber model (ie F2P).

The game is in its current form dead by any metric of success employed. (Please note MMORPG this isn't a cheap pop at the game but an informed observation, I have followed this game as a closed and open beta tester and read every Alganon forum post available to the general public. Thanks)

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Had this been a free to play Facebook game it might have had amazing success, exactly because it is such a blatant copy of WoW.

This game just has fail & lazy written all over it though, IMO.

[Mod Edit]

• GaurnGaurn Member Posts: 305

I'll play fail and lazy for free.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Originally posted by TheAncient 

What community? There has been barely more than two posts per day for the past week for those who still follow Alganon progress and are still non-subscribers, and of those two, one of those per day has been about Allods.

Official forums are as dead as the mmorpg.com ones. There have been four threads in the last month on the public forum, and responses in those threads, from paying subscribers, indicate that the number of people online in game hovers at around 5 to 30 concurrent players.

• Thirteenof9Thirteenof9 Member Posts: 8

"An infestation of Skitters nearly wiped out all of civilization almost 500 years ago"

actually, given that skitter are insects (bugs), i always considered this to be a devs subversive way of commentng on the state of the game :)