Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Rig Questions

chrisrobhay2chrisrobhay2 Member Posts: 114

Alright, so I'm looking to build a new rig with these specs:

i7 920 OC 4GHz

ASUS P6X58D

Nvidia GTX 480 (Not Released)

6GB or 12GB DDR3 RAM

Kingwin 1000 Watt PSU

256GB Corsair SSD

300GB Western Digital Velocripator HDD

Anyway, I was wondering if getting 12GB of RAM and disabling my page file would have any noticeable difference in my framerates compared to 6GB of RAM.  If so, then would I be able to buy two 6GB RAM kits, or would I have to buy a 12GB RAM kit.

Comments

• StridarStridar Member UncommonPosts: 134

I'd bet with that system you'd see little if any difference between 6 and 12 gigs of RAM while gaming.

• chrisrobhay2chrisrobhay2 Member Posts: 114

Ok, thanks for the quick reply!

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

You don't need 12GB RAM and you won't need 12GB for at least 2-3 more years.

If you're going to OC, make sure you have a good cooling system and you know what you're doing. Or you're just going to fry your hardware, which means it goes in the trash can. Judging by the fact you're even considering 12GB RAM, I doubt you have the knowledge. You may think you do, but I'm pretty sure you don't. Do more research.

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by TheHatter

In 2-3 years? There's isn't a game out there that challenges 4 gigs now. We won't be needing 12GB in 3 years.

And OP, do you really want to drop a huge amount of money on a newly released card? It's better to buy cards one generation behind, as they price drops dramatically even though the performance isn't that different. Also, nvidia is just too damn expensive for their performance these days. I've actually made the switch to ATI.

• MobidikMobidik Member Posts: 101

dont put the word OC into his head when hes asking question about a new RIG.

And i dont see the point of asking a rig question when all the stuff is totally brand new.

You like behind cool and posting to people how you like to spend 2000$ into a PC when 6 month later every price will fall of 25% or more?

Manager
    www.crucialconnexion.ca
    Professional Gaming Organization
    #c2team irc@gamesurge
    Counter-Strike:Source
    - ESEA-I
    - CEVO-P
    Counter-Strike 1.6
    - ESEA-M

Originally posted by Harabeck

In 2-3 years? There's isn't a game out there that challenges 4 gigs now. We won't be needing 12GB in 3 years.

Yes. It took about 2yrs for the industry minimum standard to go from 128mb of RAM to 2GB of ram. Granted, that was HEAVILY pushed by Vista requiring at least 1GB, but still it was a quick jump.

I don't predict the future, which is why I said "at least 2-3 more years". But, 3yrs is a long freaking time in the computer world. In 3yrs, the PS4 and the new Xbox will be launched.

Originally posted by Mobidik

dont put the word OC into his head when hes asking question about a new RIG.
    And i dont see the point of asking a rig question when all the stuff is totally brand new.
    You like behind cool and posting to people how you like to spend 2000$ into a PC when 6 month later every price will fall of 25% or more?

That's at least a $4000 rig, probably more.

I built a $2500 computer December '08 and it's still going to run you at least $1700 now. That's a 29% difference in your 6month time period, but you know what? I can still run every game on the market at max settings and I have alot of room to upgrade if I need it.

$2000 (like you said) isn't a crazy amount of money to spend on a gaming computer. It's just the close to being the best you need, not the best you can get, but the best you need. 

Yes. It took about 2yrs for the industry minimum standard to go from 128mb of RAM to 2GB of ram. Granted, that was HEAVILY pushed by Vista requiring at least 1GB, but still it was a quick jump.

I don't predict the future, which is why I said "at least 2-3 more years". But, 3yrs is a long freaking time in the computer world. In 3yrs, the PS4 and the new Xbox will be launched.

128mb?? My gaming rig from 7 years ago had 2 gig, my newest one has 6. 128mb isn't even enough to run XP which is ten years old.

128mb?? My gaming rig from 7 years ago had 2 gig, my newest one has 6. 128mb isn't even enough to run XP which is ten years old.

64mb runs XP.

I also said "minimum standard" meaning the minimum for a standard computer (not an extremely low grade rip off), I also never said when that was (2003ish to 2006ish btw)............. what is with people not reading tonight?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Good specs.

As stated before you won't need to go overboard on RAM. If anything, games will be more heavily dependant on VRAM (your video card), not system RAM in the near future. I'd only recommend getting more than 4-6gigs of RAM if u plan on doing any high-end 3d fx rendering, such as fluids or complex dynamics / lighting. There is literally not much else that would benefit from that much RAM.

64mb runs XP.

Not realistically it doesn't.

I also said "minimum standard" meaning the minimum for a standard computer (not an extremely low grade rip off), I also never said when that was (2003ish to 2006ish btw)............. what is with people not reading tonight?

Dude, the point is that there isn't a game out that asks for more than 2gigs for the recommended specs. The market will never support games that require 12gigs within 3 years. Most rigs in existence right now probably have about 4, and there's no game that will use that all.

Well, you're missing something.....

To run over 4GB, you need to run a 64bit OS. We are just now starting to get 64bit OSs into being the standard. Soon, developers will be utilizing that extended space. Right now, there is no point in using anything close to 4GB, because most people are running 32bit and you might as well take most of your market and ship them to a remote island somewhere if you make a game that uses anywhere near that. Most of your crap is still pushed over to the page file, so when people start wanting less loading times more and more, the RAM technology is already there and SSD technology is still gaining momentum, not only that but RAM is still much faster than even a SSD could ever hope to be.

You got the space? Why not use it?

Btw, 2GB to 3GB is the average right now still according to Steam Survey.... which is widely accepted as one of the most accurate gaming computer surveys out there. So, that means most of those people STILL aren't even using 64bit. (Win7 64bit is second most used OS though........ still 25% less than XP 32)

Now, with the release of the PS4 in about 2012 (they have kept a 6yr cycle), you're going to see people wanting less and less loading times on computers to keep up with the console market.

Also, the push into 64bit operating systems is one of the last great hurdles for the comsumers for a long time.

32bit  can only support 4gb of RAM (2^32) 4*10^9bytes of memory, 64bit  can support 16*10^19  bytes (2^64) of memory (16 exabytes).

Plus, you're talking about 3 years. Moore's Law is only 2yrs.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by chrisrobhay2
    Alright, so I'm looking to build a new rig with these specs:
    i7 920 OC 4GHz
    Nvidia GTX 480 (Not Released)
    6GB or 12GB DDR3 RAM
    Kingwin 1000 Watt PSU
    256GB Corsair SSD
    300GB Western Digital Velocripator HDD
    Anyway, I was wondering if getting 12GB of RAM and disabling my page file would have any noticeable difference in my framerates compared to 6GB of RAM.  If so, then would I be able to buy two 6GB RAM kits, or would I have to buy a 12GB RAM kit.

You don't need to disable page file these days, Vista and Win7 are pretty damn smart about memory usage now. And like everyone has said 6GB is more than enough for a long time.

It is a little unnecessary to buy both an SSD and a Velociraptor but if you want to spend the money I won't try to stop you.. I think the best, cost effective set up is a 80GB or 128GB SSD and a 1TB 7200 RPM storage drive. 80GB or 128GB is plenty to hold your OS, apps, and a few games you play most, and the 1TB is fine as a large storage drive.

Last I dunno about your choice for PSU. Especially for Fermi I'd aim for 1 or 2 high amp rails instead of 4 small rails, and pick a quality brand.. go with something like:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256043

Or look at this list:
    http://www.10stripe.com/featured/psu/brand.php and use a brand from the first 2 categories. (The 'Conditional' category is because those brands have cheap sub-400W PSU's that aren't recommended, but their high quality models are good)

Thanks for the replies!

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by chrisrobhay2

Thanks for the replies!

What motherboard are you looking at?

Currently putting together a PC myself. Just the GPU needed everything else in in boxes in the corner similar to what you put.

Waiting to see if GTX 480 is good and if not the 5970 here I come (if either are in stock)

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx