Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: The Exiled Realm of Arborea: Announced for Western Audiences

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We've all known about the Korean version of Bluehole Studio's upcoming MMORPG TERA for some time now, but details on a Western release were scant, if not entirely unavailable. That is, until today.

Bluehole Studios has announced the formation of a new publisher, En Masse Entertainment, whose sole task is to focus on bringing Korean MMOG's to the west, with their first project being the highly anticipated TERA: The Exiled Realm of Arborea.

En Masse will debut the game at this year's GDC, and has set an early 2011 release date for the Western version of the game, while the Korean version is set to launch sometime this year.

Learn more about TERA here.

Comments

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

Early 2011. Makes me wanna cry, one whole year to wait, if not more :(

Well, I guess it couldn't have possibly been any sooner.

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

Hooray for butthole studios!

They actually had to delay the release date of TERA that long because the system requirements for the game are obscenely high.   I have a high end gaming rig, and I can barely run it!

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

They delayed it because of the requirements? What engine is it running?

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Unreal 3, but taking long because the game IN KOREAN is in development also (going CB3) so going live in the west by beginning of 2011 is a short delay between launches, hower im more prone to belive they gonna delay it =p

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

The hell if I know.  What I do know is they recommend you have a video card with 1GB RAM to fully enjoy the game when playing beta, and the system to match such a rig.   I have such a rig and I pull about 26 FPS with it.  My video card is a Radeon 5770, I have a quad core phenom II, and 8GB RAM running 64 bit windows.

It really is a gorgeous, realistic game.   But honestly if they released this year it would flop due to the system requirements.  The audience theyre trying to reach plays on lower end systems, with most users falling into the average of 256MB video ram available.

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

If this is the case indeed, good graphics will lead them nowhere unless they optimize it for the middle budget systems. WoW is so massively popular not only because of the game itself, but because it runs well enough on low end systems.

• beowulf2014beowulf2014 Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by dar_es_balat

The hell if I know.  What I do know is they recommend you have a video card with 1GB RAM to fully enjoy the game when playing beta, and the system to match such a rig.   I have such a rig and I pull about 26 FPS with it.  My video card is a Radeon 5770, I have a quad core phenom II, and 8GB RAM running 64 bit windows.
    It really is a gorgeous, realistic game.   But honestly if they released this year it would flop due to the system requirements.  The audience theyre trying to reach plays on lower end systems, with most users falling into the average of 256MB video ram available.

Not to burst your bubble or nothing, but that ATI 5770 is not state of the art or high end anymore. It is comparable to the 4800 series and uses the older boards. Also, If you are running a quad-core Phenom II, you would be running an X4 which why you would pair that with an older Video Card, I don't understand. Also, is your RAM DDR2 or DDR3? This makes a difference as well.

I am running:

Phenom X3 (unlocked 4th core) 3.2Ghz

8gigs DDR3 RAM 4-4-4-12

Nvidia GTX295 (1792 MB GDDR3 ( 896MB per GPU )

Corsair 750W PSU

Asus Motherboard with HD Audio

...and I don't even consider that high end compared to the I7...

What I am saying is, you may think you have a high end gaming machine (although this term is relative), you are probably bottlenecking in your Southbridge..

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

here is an interview with the publisher

-Interviewee Questions-

* Q: What is En Masse Entertainment?

A: En Masse is a recently formed publishing company dedicated to bringing players the best massively multiplayer online games in the world. Our first title will be TERA which is being developed by Bluehole Studio in South Korea.

* Q: Who are you and what do you do at En Masse?

A: My name is Brian Knox, and I'm the senior producer at En Masse Entertainment. I oversee the Westernization and localization process, QA, writing, and overall product quality for TERA, as well as future En Masse products.

* Q: What did you do before working on Tera Online?

A: I've worked at two MMO companies previously; most recently I served as producer on the MMORPG Aion.

-Character Customization-

* Q: What sort of character/class customization features (like talent points or skill points) will be available to players as they progress through the game?

A: We are working on ways to distinguish classes, such as skill trees, gear variety, and so on. In addition, with TERA’s unique combat system, I believe players themselves will help distinguish their characters by how they move and react in battle.

* Q: Is player housing planned for TERA's release?

A: Yes, we plan to have guild housing with perks for guild members such as teleporting, special buffs, and a space for community activities.

* Q: Will there be anything other than looks to distinguish races from one another?

A: As part of the Westernization process, we're developing unique racial backgrounds and distinctive "voices" for each race. You will definitely see racial differentiation in the game text and how characters interact with one another. We want users to choose their race based on personal preferences, not because one is better than the other. It's never fun to be forced to play a certain race because it is considered "superior" to other races.

-Gameplay-

* Q: Can you tell us more about the planned PvP system for TERA? Will it be entirely free-for-all in most areas? will there be safe areas?

TERA includes a system that allows players to declare PvP on other players. This system should allow players the freedom they desire in-game, while at the same time eliminating the ganking that can occur with open PvP.

* Q: Will there be any instanced PvP areas?

A: TERA has consensual PvP areas called "battlegrounds." You can form battle groups and fight for political gains, guild prestige, and loot, and you'll earn points that can be used for various guild improvements and political gains. Battlegrounds will also span multiple servers to increase participation and competition.

* Q: Does the company plan to support servers where PvP is everywhere (PvP servers) as well as servers where you have to flag yourself to be part of PvP (PvE servers)?

A: Yes. We expect to have both PvE and PvP servers. PvE servers will still have consensual PvP content such as battlegrounds and duels.

* Q: Will TERA have more open elite areas or more instanced elite areas?

A: There will be non-instanced dungeons, such as the Enchanted Castle, and instanced dungeons as well. We hope to provide a variety of both, because they'll each offer unique gameplay experiences.

* Q: What is the planned level cap for TERA?

A: Currently, the planned level cap is set at 60.

* Q Will players have the option to reach max level by both soloing and grouping?

A: The development team's main goal is to provide the most enjoyable and rewarding experience possible. That means we're focused on ensuring that the content that is the most rewarding is also the most enjoyable. Right now, we're concentrating on group play and balance, but we do understand that you can’t always find a group that suits you. To address that, we're working hard to ensure that you'll have the ability to solo and still make substantial leveling progress. Grouping will be the fastest way to advance in TERA, and we're looking at ways to make it easy for players to find groups that fit their preferences.

* Q: Will players be able to quest all the way to max level?

Yes. Players will have group and solo quests to play throughout the entire game.

* Q How many zones (regions) will TERA release with?

TERA will have 55+ zones at launch, many of which will offer multiple types of content per level range. You'll be able to go back and replay these zones with alternate characters to see entirely different content. We really want to encourage players to create and level alts, and we have a few tricks up our sleeve for those who enjoy creating and playing multiple characters.

-Economy/Political System-

* Q: Will TERA have an auction house system, a broker system or just personal shops?

A: TERA has what we call a Homunculus--a personal pet accessible to all characters on the same account. Your Homunculus can be set to buy and sell in a personal shop, as well as perform a few other cool tasks. We also plan to implement a broker system.

* Q: What can you tell us about the crafting system?

A: Crafting is very important in TERA. You'll be able to gather materials from monsters you hunt, as well as from minerals and plants in the world. As you level in TERA, it is very important to equip gear equal to your level or you won’t be nearly as powerful as you could be. Crafting will play a major role in keeping players geared up and performing at their best!

* Q: What can you tell us about the political system?

A: Not much right now! :) We expect that it will create a dynamic community on each server, where players strive to be a part of what we call the Circle of Archons. We hope to start releasing more details on this system soon, but for now, I can say that we're really excited by it. We think it's a unique endgame feature that will bring a lot to the TERA experience.

Source

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Thanks frog now I'm sure to try tera since it's going to have a pve server, battlegrounds are more then enough if you want to pvp open world free for all just ruins it for me.

Originally posted by beowulf2014

Not to burst your bubble or nothing, but that ATI 5770 is not state of the art or high end anymore. It is comparable to the 4800 series and uses the older boards. Also, If you are running a quad-core Phenom II, you would be running an X4 which why you would pair that with an older Video Card, I don't understand. Also, is your RAM DDR2 or DDR3? This makes a difference as well.

I am running:

8gigs DDR3 RAM 4-4-4-12

Corsair 750W PSU

What I am saying is, you may think you have a high end gaming machine (although this term is relative), you are probably bottlenecking in your Southbridge..

Thanks for the rant but you totally missed the point here --- and highlighted the problem with TERA at the same time.

Yes.  The 5770 is not a new card anymore.  DUH.  Thanks for the newsflash, Einstein.   It is however a direct X 11 card, which makes it a new piece of technology on the market, and much higher end in comparison to many systems folks run on the MMORPG.com boards, even!

Yet youre saying this system is old.

What does that say about the expectations of the TERA developers, that directX 11 based system can be considered too old and clunky to play TERA effectively?

To me it says theyre arrogant in their design goal, and overestimate the system budget of the average gamer.  They may in fact be telling the average gamer to "fuck off and buy a new machine."   Which to me is enough to not play this game on release.   The beta was neat-ish, though.

I am running:

8gigs DDR3 RAM 4-4-4-12

Corsair 750W PSU

Thanks for the rant but you totally missed the point here --- and highlighted the problem with TERA at the same time.

Yes.  The 5770 is not a new card anymore.  DUH.  Thanks for the newsflash, Einstein.   It is however a direct X 11 card, which makes it a new piece of technology on the market, and much higher end in comparison to many systems folks run on the MMORPG.com boards, even!

What does that say about the expectations of the TERA developers, that directX 11 based system can be considered too old and clunky to play TERA effectively?

To me it says theyre arrogant in their design goal, and overestimate the system budget of the average gamer.  They may in fact be telling the average gamer to "fuck off and buy a new machine."   Which to me is enough to not play this game on release.   The beta was neat-ish, though.

1. There was no "rant" in my statement to you... You seem to be.... touchy...

2. You are the one with the chip on your shoulder. I was merely replying to the fact that you state you have a high end gaming system, which is not the case. How can you base a discussion on "You can't play this game, I have a high end game system and it wont play it" when your system is not a high end system but a MID RANGE GAMING SYSTEM?

Again, I am stating facts of the system you posted you had and just bringing to your attention that it is indeed not a high end system. I was neither "ranting" nor name calling (unlike you, i.e. "Einstien"). Maybe you should take a step back from your keyboard, take a breath and realize not everyone on this forum is here to flame someone.. I was merely stating a fact based on your specs.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

Awesome interview, and lol it's Brian Knox from Aion!!! How cute.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by SgtFrog

here is an interview with the publisher
    -Interviewee Questions-
    * Q: Who are you and what do you do at En Masse?

A: My name is Brian Knox, and I'm the senior producer at En Masse Entertainment. I oversee the Westernization and localization process, QA, writing, and overall product quality for TERA, as well as future En Masse products.

Oh I remember Brian Knox. Interesting that he left NC for Blue Hole.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Originally posted by dar_es_balat

I am running:

8gigs DDR3 RAM 4-4-4-12

Corsair 750W PSU

I don't think he meant to offend you, but just point out why perhaps you were getting such a bad frame rate. Furthermore I find it hard to believe that you had such a low framerate seeing as I was getting one in the high 30s on a PC with comparably lower specs than your own.

I played the game in FGT at max srttings and I run on;

4 gigs of ram (DDR2)

Windows XP (yes I know it doesn't recognize all 4 gigs)

9800gtx (256mb)

Intel Dual-Core 2.83

So as to why exactly you're framerate was so low, well I very much doubt it had to do with anything on the hardware side, considering the minimum requirements in FGT were some 7000 series nVidea card, 2.5 ghz and 2 gigs of ram. They were only just recently raised for the CBT3 starting in Korea tomorow night, and only the videocard requirement was raised....to an 8600 or higher.

Now, I do not wish for this post to seem like I am attacking you, I just figured it may help some who have no idea what the current system requirements are (it has not been optimized very much yet tbh) and to perhaps help you figure out why the game was so sluggish on your rig. I would suggest that you perhaps check whether or not you have the latest drivers for your card?

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

The Forced Grouping advocates are already rallying hard behind this game, as are those lobbying for Full-World PvP. "Encouraged" Grouping, PvP focus, and high system requirements are a proven path to low player retention in the Western market. If this well-worn path is the course Bluehole has charted, TERA will wind just another pretty game that encouraged people to play World of Warcraft.

I sense another Aion with wings of wax in this one.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by LordDraekon

The Forced Grouping advocates are already rallying hard behind this game, as are those lobbying for Full-World PvP. "Encouraged" Grouping, PvP focus, and high system requirements are a proven path to low player retention in the Western market. If this well-worn path is the course Bluehole has charted, TERA will wind just another pretty game that encouraged people to play World of Warcraft.

While I agree high system specs definintely reduce the player base, perhaps if developers throw these other two components at the west long enough we'll finally learn to acquire a taste for it. (sort of like learning to enjoy coffee or beer)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I do find it quite interesting that Bluehole is primarily made up of former NCsoft employees, and Brian Knox leaving to join kind of spells trouble for NCsoft..Are they so bad to work for that people wanna leave big positions for other jobs with former NCsoft employees? rofl.

Yay Brian Knox. Next we'll see Liv.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Brian Knox & the team he led did a good job of converting AION to western language, regardless of your views on the game itself which bodes well for a translation that will compliment the game rather than fall into the quagmire of past, poor translations.

As for the performance concerns bear in mind that whilst in development & in beta that the game will be running debugging tools in the backgrouns which can severely impact the game, until those are switched off it will be hard to gauge the game fairly, though the graphics do look quite ambitious & so it may well require a beefy PC to even run it.

If the "Homunculus" is a persistant in-world object, like player-shops often are in Korean games then that will only add unnecessary payload to the game, if I was in beta I would be pressuring for that feature to be altered for the west at least, to be more AH/Broker based.

On the tera forums there was a tester who said you can run the game fine with cards between 7600 - 8800 from nVidia, the 8800 gave them about 45 fps and this is before the optimizations are done.

Originally posted by Skuz

Brian Knox & the team he led did a good job of converting AION to western language, regardless of your views on the game itself which bodes well for a translation that will compliment the game rather than fall into the quagmire of past, poor translations.
    As for the performance concerns bear in mind that whilst in development & in beta that the game will be running debugging tools in the backgrouns which can severely impact the game, until those are switched off it will be hard to gauge the game fairly, though the graphics do look quite ambitious & so it may well require a beefy PC to even run it.
    If the "Homunculus" is a persistant in-world object, like player-shops often are in Korean games then that will only add unnecessary payload to the game, if I was in beta I would be pressuring for that feature to be altered for the west at least, to be more AH/Broker based.

Not sure about the Homunculus being a drag if done right. In SWG, there were persistance vendors in almost every crafters house without issues to gameplay.. I think it will depend on how it's implemented. If it is indeed a drag on the system, I agree to rethink the inclusion..

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

But they do different things.

Player shops put the power in the hands of the seller, AH is in the hands of the buyer.

Player shops can be set up anywhere and provides for a more Entreprenurial spirit.

If anyone has ever played Lineage 2 and remembers players setting up shops in Cruma or (at the start) running no grade soul shots to Gludio so that they could provide a good that was not available to that market then they would know what I mean.

I'll take player shops over AH any day.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

one thing i want answered is will this be your typical asian grindfest and will they give two craps about the western audience, because the two other asian grindfests that i played ... they didn't give two craps about the western audience.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    Originally posted by Sovrath

But they do different things.

Player shops put the power in the hands of the seller, AH is in the hands of the buyer.

Player shops can be set up anywhere and provides for a more Entreprenurial spirit.

If anyone has ever played Lineage 2 and remembers players setting up shops in Cruma or (at the start) running no grade soul shots to Gludio so that they could provide a good that was not available to that market then they would know what I mean.

I'll take player shops over AH any day.

I'm speaking from the standpoint of the game being playable on PC's that are not top-end, perhaps as far as the "choice" of shops or Brokers/Auction Houses is to offer the choice of whether to buy at an AH or at a shop, In EQ2 for example you sold from your house, if a player buys from the AH they have to pay the AH a fee, if they travel to your house they get a cheaper product, at the cost of travelling.

Perhaps a more encompassing system that allowed for both types to co-exist whereby you can choose whether certain items are "dual advertised" as in being available from your shop but also advertised on a broker at the seller's disgression.

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

the graphics looks nice, but is this again a new korean grindfest with an anime art style? or is this something new?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by LordDraekon

While I agree high system specs definintely reduce the player base, perhaps if developers throw these other two components at the west long enough we'll finally learn to acquire a taste for it. (sort of like learning to enjoy coffee or beer)

Just because Asian players seem to enjoy something, doesn't mean it's necessarily a good thing. From where I'm sitting, forced grouping and a rabid PvP mentality do much to drive paying subscribers away. Personally, I've never developed an appreciation of having something forced on my "for my own good". Seems to me there's a word for that, and it's not a very nice one. What interests me is that all these developers are scrabbling to get a piece of the WoW pie, but they fail greatly in appreciating many of WoW's core elements and improving on them, hence, people try what they've created, find it lacking, and troop back to the familiarity of Azeroth. Don't you think there's a lesson here?

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift