Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Sci-Fi MMO: The Present

13»

Comments

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by M4ko

The author didnt really have any depth to this article, he seems to just join the hype of SCIFI mmos saving the MMORPGS.

Where is EarthRise, where is Neocron?

Its funny how rare it is to see someone mention EarthRise or Neocron, especially Neocron. But Its also funny that everyone that I talk to that wants a scifi FPSMMO and I tell them about Neocron, they wished they had played it back then too.

• UnprodigyUnprodigy Member UncommonPosts: 13

It caused me physical pain to see The Secret World and World of Darkness mentioned as Sci-Fi. They're both Horror based on fantastical tropes, primarily mystical conspiracies for the former and archetypal monsters of myth for the latter. The science in both is likely not even as speculative as typical contemporary-setting spy fiction.

• mirkrimmirkrim Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by spyder2k5

There is not a million accounts made for STO, they said that was a million Cryptic accounts, not only STO accounts.

This.  also:

"And while critics so far have not been too forgiving of what they perceive as shallow gameplay, perhaps its intellectual property makes up for some of its early shortcomings."

Actually, the depth of the IP is the reason that the game seems shallow by comparison.  The Star Trek universe is filled with endless possibilities, but in STO all you can do is press F and kill enemies.

• dadowndadown Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Originally posted by mirkrim

Originally posted by spyder2k5

There is not a million accounts made for STO, they said that was a million Cryptic accounts, not only STO accounts.

This.  also:

"And while critics so far have not been too forgiving of what they perceive as shallow gameplay, perhaps its intellectual property makes up for some of its early shortcomings."

Actually, the depth of the IP is the reason that the game seems shallow by comparison.  The Star Trek universe is filled with endless possibilities, but in STO all you can do is press F and kill enemies.

One thing that really disappointed me about STO was the lack of exploring the unknown. Earth & Beyond rewarded player with experience for exploring new locations and most of the game map was blank until you had explored it. There were also hidden locations that didn't show up on the map could only be discovered by exploring. There were also several planets that you could visit and fly around on, discovering special things.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971
    Originally posted by Xondar123

Margaret Atwood does not write science-fiction... She writes speculative fiction (sorry, little literature in-joke there.)

Yes, my point exactly. I just finished reading a few compilations of sci-fi short stories (and "Oryx and Crake" and "Year of the Flood") so Saerain's post seemed really weird to me.

Heh : ) Of course, my bad! Thanks for the smile.

Nice to know there's a fellow lit geek around here!

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Originally posted by Zilverrug

fun read!
    I wouldn't call the World of Darkness a Sci-Fi setting though...

I think a something like "Dark Fantasy" would be more appropriate.

I always hate it when people lump horror into sci-fi. It's an insult to the horror genre.

• burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546
    Originally posted by Unprodigy

It caused me physical pain to see The Secret World and World of Darkness mentioned as Sci-Fi. They're both Horror based on fantastical tropes, primarily mystical conspiracies for the former and archetypal monsters of myth for the latter. The science in both is likely not even as speculative as typical contemporary-setting spy fiction.

Where in the original article did the author categorize The Secret World as Sci-Fi?  It was mentioned as an upcoming game from Funcom in the Authors' botched AO segment but he didn't call TSW 'Sci-fi' or even suggest that it was.

~\_/~\_O

• inleinle Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by shava

It's kind of funny to see CCP praised for risk taking with Eve Online, and a few paragraphs later SOE bashed for taking risks with SWG.  Of course, the difference is not the risk taking, the difference is the quality of innovation and the agility of response to use requirements.
    Yrs

Shava

I think the primary difference is that CCP took a risk in how they designed the game from the start; to this day it fundamentally plays the same as it did from day 1.  I doubt Dust will change how your ship targets, shoots, flies, etc.  Probably the biggest change it will make is in the economy, which sure, in a game like this one is pretty important. 

SOE took SWG and fundamentally changed the way the game played after it had already been released for a couple years.  It's akin to taking a game like Call of Duty and forcing people to download a patch that makes it play like Fallout 3.  What you think of either game really doesn't matter, what matters is that you bought Call of Duty for a reason and likely wouldn't appreciate the change.

Edit for better context.

first off good article :D 

2nd to the person whom i quoted

Right on the money . couldent of put it better

• inleinle Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by PostLarval

Originally posted by Zilverrug

fun read!
    I wouldn't call the World of Darkness a Sci-Fi setting though...

I think a something like "Dark Fantasy" would be more appropriate.

I always hate it when people lump horror into sci-fi. It's an insult to the horror genre.

/start short rant

i wish horror and survival horror would get its own genera

rather then constantly being lumped with Action

it ends up screwing up any service that suggests games to you based on what you play or like

i love horror games on my consoles such as the silent hill and fatal frame series

but only get suggestions for non horror action games because there branded as just action

/end rant :P

i humbly apologize for this non mmo based rant i just had to get it off my chest :P

• tazalanchetazalanche Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Sorry folks! 
    In regards to AO: I meant to say that the OGRE engine was dropped, and switched to Dreamworld.  The quote about it being on indefinite hold was from an early draft and I never remembered to take it out.  It's no excuse, but getting everything I need to say about so many games in under a certain amount of words winds up with me missing some things or misstating others. 
    As for the STO thing, I did say 1 million accounts, though I should have said on the website and not "for the game."  Whether that's perpetuating the fact that it's merely accounts and not units sold is another thing, but it's no small milestone regardless. 
    As always, I'm actually thankful I can count on you lot to call me out when I fumble a little.  Please proceed with eviscerating me (sarcasm)... be gentle.  :P
    -Bill

Yet you never bothered to update or correct the falsehoods in the article itself?

• lorechaserlorechaser Member Posts: 124

"It was one of the first online offerings to allow players direct control over the game-world, and many are still clinging to hope that SOE will one day craft a successor."

SOE sent out a survey asking what the next version should be like, and has announced Planetside: Next as the working title.

From October '09:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/11/soes-john-smedley-calls-planetside-sequel-planetside-next/

Who am I?
    @Lorechaser on CoH
    Badjuju, Splinterhoof, Plainsrunner on WoW (Moonrunner)
    Shyy'rissk on SWG (Flurry)
    ClockworkSoldier, HE Pierce, Letnev on Planetside
    Gyshe, Crucible, Terrakal on DDO
    And many more.

• LektronikLektronik Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Means

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Sorry folks! 

In regards to AO: I meant to say that the OGRE engine was dropped, and switched to Dreamworld.  The quote about it being on indefinite hold was from an early draft and I never remembered to take it out.  It's no excuse, but getting everything I need to say about so many games in under a certain amount of words winds up with me missing some things or misstating others. 

As for the STO thing, I did say 1 million accounts, though I should have said on the website and not "for the game."  Whether that's perpetuating the fact that it's merely accounts and not units sold is another thing, but it's no small milestone regardless. 

As always, I'm actually thankful I can count on you lot to call me out when I fumble a little.  Please proceed with eviscerating me (sarcasm)... be gentle.  :P

-Bill

Fail.

It's coming up on 3 years since we were informed that you were working on the new engine.  As far as I am concerned, BillMurphy is correct in saying the project was dropped.  I'm going by what I actually see, not what you tell me.