Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall 7-Day $1 Trial

oscarkool2oscarkool2 Member Posts: 127

"The main thing is to remember that this is a great game with a hard start. If you rage-quit early, you'll miss the good part." - Spewart

Hey everyone,

If you are itching to find a new MMO that will capture your attention for awhile, I suggest that you read my post completely to the end...

Darkfall is now offering a 7-day trial for new players for $1.  I wish it was longer, but this is better than nothing.

Click Here to Check Out Darkfall Online and Start Your Trial.

This is your chance to see what the game is all about and it really won't be costing you guys anything.  Ignore the negative posts in this thread and try the game for yourself with a clean state of mind.

If you are MMO hopping as I was a few weeks ago, I recommend you give Darkfall a try.  I am really enjoying it so far because it is much different than anything else out there that I have tried.  

Some tips I have for new players is to bank your loot often.  When starting out, don't hold on to more than 100 gold without banking.  And save your Arrows as well, unless you are skilling up your archery in the beginning.  Prepare to be addicted.

I recommend that you play with headphones.  Sound is VERY important in this game because you gotta keep your ears open for approaching PKers.  If you listen well, you should be able to avoid gankers no problem.  In the Audio Options, turn off the ambient sound.  This is the ingame music.  It's decent, but you don't want it because you won't be able to hear distant mounts and players as well.

For those of you with a low-end system or a laptop, turn off shadows completely.  I currently get 60fps constant on my laptop when I turn off the shadows.  Everything else is on max including 3D sounds.

The downside to the game is that it has a steep learning curve.  Those of you that played Ultima Online, DAOC, SWG and some other old MMO's will have an easier time hopping into this game as it's free-roam.  But those of you from WoW, Lord of the Rings, AoC, WAR, Aion, etc. will have a harder time getting used to the game.  It is vastly different due to there being no levels.

I am really enjoying the free, open world and the fact that there are no levels in this game.  It's great that if you've been playing for 3 weeks or 3 months, you can still play with brand new people in the same areas because there are no level zones or anything like that and there are always new skills to work on.  You don't have to worry about leveling up by yourself so you can finally hangout with your buddies that have been playing awhile.

For example, I got my brothers to start playing the trial and I've been skilling up my knives and spellcrafting with them which is great because my buffs help them out and killing the goblins is good for my knives.

About clans:  Clans aren't for everyone in the beginning.  If you want to join a clan or if you are feeling lost and confused, I recommend that you join NEW.  They are a clan dedicated to helping new players get into the game so definitely think about joining them if you are feeling lost and overwhelmed in this game.

I am on my 3rd week and I have remained clanless for the time being, though I do hangout with an alliance.  But that's just my play-style at the moment.

Darkfall gets better as you continue playing.  The 1st day WILL be your hardest day.  I have already seen people rage-quit after getting killed by a goblin.  Don't be like that and don't let the game beat you...... you cannot judge a book by it's cover, nor can you judge an mmo by it's first day.

After your 7 days, you will NOT be auto-billed.  Your account will be frozen until you decide to purchase the game.  Darkfall does not have recurring payments, ever.

Let me know if you have any questions about the game, I haven't been playing that long but I'll do what I can to help new players out.

Click Here to Start Your Darkfall 7-Day Trial.

Some New Player Testimonials:

"All I got to say is I am impressed. I hated on Darkfall for the last 7 years, now I am taking the high road after doing this dollar trial deal. This game has grabbed me and I think I am going to buy it, I have only been playing a day but dayum I am good at these games, forgot how long its been since I played this style.

Can't wait to explore the world. See you all on the battlefield." - Sinjin

"So far I don't have a LOT to say about the trial other than....

The game world is TRULY beautiful. So pretty, in fact, that the lack of ambient sounds isn't bothering me AS much as I thought it would. I'm really surprised at how the game LOOKS, to be honest. I did not expect it to be so....stunning.

And....4 goblins ganked me....bastards. They respawned JUST as I looted my first 40g. Pissed me off so bad I had to hunt them down again and make them PAY. I have a feeling I'll be feeling like this a lot both from NPCs killing me....AND other players killing me, but....c'est la vie....or c'est la morte. heh ;)" - Girlgeek

"It seems that Ive to tell you guys what I think about the trial. The game is fun. Totally worth my 1€ spent and 45 minutes of download+patching. The game runs smooth on my i7 4Ghz with 4850 1b in crossfire@1920x1200. No issues with lag or anything. The community is friendly (AS LONG AS YOU DONT BEHAVE LIKE A CREEP (LIKE SOME HERE)) and are helping us newbies alot." - astrob0y

Comments

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

umm im not sure how it is where your from, but to me a trial is free to download and use for X days. not pay X amount for X days. thats not a trial.. thats buying... doesnt matter if its 1cent or 1000billion.

BUT its nice they are finally starting to offer trial bases.. sorta

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275
    Originally posted by Ichmen

umm im not sure how it is where your from, but to me a trial is free to download and use for X days. not pay X amount for X days. thats not a trial.. thats buying... doesnt matter if its 1cent or 1000billion.
    BUT its nice they are finally starting to offer trial bases.. sorta

Some people are never happy!

LOL just joking. But you asked for it : )

• oscarkool2oscarkool2 Member Posts: 127

No where on my post do I say it's free :)

To all of the existing user base, we jumped in with no trial at all.  We paid $50 up front without knowing whether we'd like it. 

So, all of the future buyers have a chance to try it out by spending $49 less than me and the others lol

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

Still only accessible with a credit card.

This game needs other pament-methods, like GameTimeCards or PayByCash-options before it will grow any further.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

So Darkfall has few new subs?

It's not going to get any more subs, with what attrition and all.

Darkfall has peaked, imo.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275
    Originally posted by jrs77

This game needs other pament-methods, like GameTimeCards or PayByCash-options before it will grow any further.

OK, it cost 1 buck and you need a credit card!

C´mon, it is 2010. Soon will people complain you need internet as well : )

Im more interested how the newbie protection will work.

Originally posted by daarco

In Europe people don't have credit cards given like candy by their banks. And stuff like prepaid CCs are also not available. So what do you expect?

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

You can use pay pal.

GOGOGO

My blog: image

• drago_pldrago_pl Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by jrs77 Still only accessible with a credit card.

In Europe people don't have credit cards given like candy by their banks. And stuff like prepaid CCs are also not available. So what do you expect?

Tried looking for account with Visa Electron? I have online account with this card and it's working fine (in Poland at least).

• bartillobartillo Member UncommonPosts: 190

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=236450

theres a official news thread about it now.

id download the game first before activating the trial:

http://www.us1.darkfallonline.com/dl/DarkfallFull/

or

http://www.eu1.darkfallonline.com/dl/DarkfallFull/

• nottorious91nottorious91 Member Posts: 19

OK ... Now how about a link without a ref in it?

https://accounts.eu.darkfallonline.com/ - EU

https://accounts.us.darkfallonline.com/ - US

• oscarkool2oscarkool2 Member Posts: 127

Yea, I definitely wish there were more ways to pay.  Game cards would be awesome and I'm sure they will do something like that soon.

Find a way to pay that $1!  You won't regret it.

Originally posted by drago_pl

Tried looking for account with Visa Electron? I have online account with this card and it's working fine (in Poland at least).

Darkfall can't be paid with VISA Electron in Finland and PayPal needs to be linked to a credit card aswell over here.

Originally posted by drago_pl  

Darkfall can't be paid with VISA Electron in Finland and PayPal needs to be linked to a credit card aswell over here.

Try asking about this on darkfall (official site) public forums. There are many ppl from Finland around.
  • SpellshaperSpellshaper Member UncommonPosts: 419

Is there any http, ftp or any other no Peer to Peer source for Darkfall EU client? 

• rafikosrafikos Member Posts: 33

Good News :)

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Why charge 1 dollar? to keep gold spammers away?

Doesn't make much sense. I usually run a trial five or six times with multiple races and playstyles before i decide on the account i will play. I would hate to pay for each trial attempt.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

Originally posted by Rockgod99
    Doesn't make much sense. I usually run a trial five or six times with multiple races and playstyles before i decide on the account i will play. I would hate to pay for each trial attempt.

Uhmmm, races only looks different and the only difference is some not that important racial skills and hit box (bigger hitbox = more reach with melee). You don't have classes, you pick up character and you choose playstyle which can be changed at any time.
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

It makes perfect sense.  Just because you abuse trial systems doesn't change anything.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

not much foreign freendly yet.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Originally posted by Draemos

It makes perfect sense.  Just because you abuse trial systems doesn't change anything.

How am i abusing anything? In a sandbox you can play a game multiple ways with the option to only have one character wouldn't it make sense to test everything at least a little before committing to a game purchase?

Explain how charging for a trial makes any sense at all?

• ThyrfineThyrfine Member Posts: 8

Good stuff. I have followed the game for a while, and have done a bunch of research into it. I was going to purchase/sub in march anyway.  I just hope the trial ends up being a positive thing for Darkfall in the long run. Here's to hoping.

• TJ_420TJ_420 Member Posts: 224

How am i abusing anything? In a sandbox you can play a game multiple ways with the option to only have one character wouldn't it make sense to test everything at least a little before committing to a game purchase?

Dude, the $1 makes sure its a valid credit card and not created from CC generating software...This is actually a very good idea. Sorry you dont seem to think so.

• zeuseasonzeuseason Member UncommonPosts: 69

$1 ?  LOL

Sounds like 'ALL YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBERS ARE BELONG TO US'

Big time scam!

Originally posted by TJ_420

Dude, the $1 makes sure its a valid credit card and not created from CC generating software...This is actually a very good idea. Sorry you dont seem to think so.

They can't just have me put in my CC info and validate my card to enter the trial? I wouldn't mind that. I know UO and FFXI used to do that. Why charge?