Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yet another returning player

DragoshanDragoshan Member UncommonPosts: 36

Hello,

I've searched the forums but did not find all the answers I was looking for, so help me out a bit please. I've played LotRO when it first came out for like 6 months then left, now after reading the books again I felt the urge to come back and enjoy the world a bit. Thing is I only own the original game and do not want to spend money on the expansions as I do not know how much I will stay this time. I guess my question is how much of the new content can I enjoy with only the Shadows of Angmar game? Can I play the new classes or fight in skirmishes? (don't even know what those are, just heard of them).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by Dragoshan

Hello,
    I've searched the forums but did not find all the answers I was looking for, so help me out a bit please. I've played LotRO when it first came out for like 6 months then left, now after reading the books again I felt the urge to come back and enjoy the world a bit. Thing is I only own the original game and do not want to spend money on the expansions as I do not know how much I will stay this time. I guess my question is how much of the new content can I enjoy with only the Shadows of Angmar game? Can I play the new classes or fight in skirmishes? (don't even know what those are, just heard of them).
    Thanks in advance.

Hey there,

So without Mines of Moria expansion you cannot play the new classes, you can enjoy all content upto level 50, and you can play a limited amount of skirmishes, I am in EU myself, but I believe Turbine is running some campaign currently where you get to try all skirmishes for a limited time if your playing on US servers.

But aslong as you dont wanna play Warden of Rune-keeper you got plenty to do until you hit 50.

I know shops like Gamestop and Best Buy you can find the Mines of Moria expansion really cheap.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Hello,
    Thanks in advance.

Ok, I assume that during those 6 months you hit cap level (50 at that time)

Evendim was already added at that time. There's not much for you to do without both expansions. You can check out Forochel and Evendim but that's it. You probably won't get any people to do any of the old-6 man instances,

REALITY CHECK

• DragoshanDragoshan Member UncommonPosts: 36

Yes, I have a 50 human burglar and a 50 dwarf champion. So no luck for me unless I buy the expansions... well, thank you for the very swift answers and hope to see you in game!

• kilryakilrya Member Posts: 39

I believe without mine u still get to play the first area right before mine of moria... i say you should get mine of moria sence lots of people still hangout in 21th hall. i think thats where everybody hangout.. not to mention lots of people still do the dungens in moria, I just hate to lvl in moria. 

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

Yes, I have a 50 human burglar and a 50 dwarf champion. So no luck for me unless I buy the expansions... well, thank you for the very swift answers and hope to see you in game!

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the expansions. I took off from the game for a bit and just recently returned and there have been so many changes and upgrades for the better. Some things that should have been in at release but nevertheless is in there now. IMHO, buying the expansions won't be a waste of money. At the very least you should get about 3 to 6 months of enjoyment.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• CartographyCartography Member UncommonPosts: 331

Just an FYI, you can get the moria expansion for 9.99 from amazon.com... it also comes with 30 days of free gametime, and YES this does apply to current players... you don't need to be a new subscriber to get 30 free days. I hate both the expansions, the LI system ruined the game for me... however, if you're gonna try it out, this is definitely the way to do it. It's even cheaper than paying 14.99 to resub w/o moria.

link:

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Mines-Moria-Pc/dp/B001FS7FE0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1267055702&sr=8-2

Originally posted by seabass2003

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the expansions. I took off from the game for a bit and just recently returned and there have been so many changes and upgrades for the better. Some things that should have been in at release but nevertheless is in there now. IMHO, buying the expansions won't be a waste of money. At the very least you should get about 3 to 6 months of enjoyment.

Really, could you please elaborate for a bit? What upgrades and stuff that should have been there from the start are you talking about? What do you enjoy most about the expansions?

Also, great find Logicbox9! Thanks you! I'm curious, what's that LI system you talk about and why is it bad?

Thank you all for the replies.

• ZilverrugZilverrug Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by Dragoshan   Really, could you please elaborate for a bit? What upgrades and stuff that should have been there from the start are you talking about? What do you enjoy most about the expansions?

Also, great find Logicbox9! Thanks you! I'm curious, what's that LI system you talk about and why is it bad?

They have skirmishes now. Instantly-accessible 15 to 45 minutes long instances for 1, 3, 6 or 12 players (soon for 2 players as well). There are currently two basic types: attack and defense, differing slightly. They are great fun when played casually, they are a terrible and boring grind for perfectionist people who grind them.

The same is basically true for the legendary item system. Each class can have two items which gain experience (item xp). They start out with 2 to 4 random class-dependent skills and you'll get 3 more random skills. For some classes these skills are better than for other classes: sometimes there are just a few "good" skills. The fun thing about these items is that they ensure no character of the same class is exactly the same and they give you something to level even after you hit the level cap (gratification). The bad thing about these items is that they recently made all two-handed weapons too fast and that they are a terrible and boring grind for perfectionist people who grind them.

They changed some things, so you do not have to dismount all the time; Breeland, including Bree reputation, has been overhauled in a very nice way, you can buy a 20-slot shared storage box that is shared between the characters on your account; the new areas (Eregion, Moria, Lothlorien and Mirkwood) look nice. Some better than others (personal preference).

Thank you very much, Zilverrug.