Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are MMO's Getting too repetitive?

How many of you have ever downloaded an mmorpg, only to find out that once again, you are making a character with the same basics of every other rpg you have ever played? If you have played World of warcraft, you've played every MMORPG out there. Of course I say that loosely, considering there are some distinct games that can actually be fun, but I don't know how much more of these games I can take. Making a warrior, or a mage, or a ranger, or some sort of assassin, grinding through enemies until you level up and go grind through some different enemies, only to get a new set of armor and a weapon that you have to keep for 10 more levels. Come on developers, use that creativity!

Rock n' Roll Ninja

Comments

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

If you havent played Ryzom, EVE or Darkfall, you have no grounds to complain about the current state of mmorpgs.

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Toquio3

If you havent played Ryzom, EVE or Darkfall, you have no grounds to complain about the current state of mmorpgs.

Im dying to hear you explain that comment there.

• drago_pldrago_pl Member Posts: 384

This.
    I played in WoW clones for the past 8 years about 2 months total. If you want different game, you will find it easily.
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

OP complains about repetitive WoW-like games. So I said, Ryzom, EVE and Darkfall. I thought it was pretty self-explanatory tbh.

There is plenty of creativity out there, if people could only be arsed to give it a second thought.

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• neodavieneodavie Member Posts: 278

I am in favor of this statement.

Originally posted by GTwander:

How are you an MMO? Or any of us for that matter?

I say we strike all users from the site for not being MMOs.

OP complains about repetitive WoW-like games. So I said, Ryzom, EVE and Darkfall. I thought it was pretty self-explanatory tbh.

There is plenty of creativity out there, if people could only be arsed to give it a second thought.

Also you forgot LOVE, Fallen Earth, and Global Adgenda. All awesome games, all very much different from the "norm"

Right. 3 games out of .......dozens of "meh" ones. Which is exactly what gives him/her the right to complain about the current state.

Now if it were the other way around, though.

Right. 3 games out of .......dozens of "meh" ones. Which is exactly what gives him/her the right to complain about the current state.

Read the post above you, the list just got doubled.

Originally posted by neodavie

Also you forgot LOVE, Fallen Earth, and Global Adgenda. All awesome games, all very much different from the "norm"

No idea what LOVE is (well, I know love, but not the game xD).

FE definately belongs with those games. But GA? It's still very debatable if it even fits the MMO description.

• RebelNinjaRebelNinja Member Posts: 9

Of course I know there are many good distinctive games out there to play, but the main point still being, there are way too many WoW clones. I have played EVE and I'm actually installing it now, as for the other two games, I havent played but i will consider it! I don't mean to complain, but people need to get the hint. How many failed rpgs have you seen in the past few years that failed solely because it was JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER MMORPG?

Rock n' Roll Ninja

Read the post above you, the list just got doubled.

Fine. 6 out of dozens.

Come on, man. Try harder.

Well put Biz. I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing!

Rock n' Roll Ninja

I dont have to try harder, Im already enjoying fairly unique mmos. 3 or 6 games, it doesnt matter, the point I was trying to make is that innovation and originality already exist, and they exist in very good quality. So there are tons of wow clones, so what? As long as there are quality alternatives, who cares?

Take that as you wish.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Say it with me:

MMOs are not getting repetitive.

..oh crap...maybe they are...

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

One of these elitist EVE guys, eh? I know you're going to pull out the ol' "you must play WOW" card, but I actually don't. Spare me your insults. EVE is just as repetitive as all MMOs. Yes, MMOs are not only getting repetitive they have always been like that. Back to the days of UO and EQ.

I'll give you those games differ from WoW in terms of a different atmosphere. However, every MMO makes you do the same thing over and over again. Just the nature of the beast.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Yes MMO's are getting too repetitive and no most of the example games people responded with don't change that fact.

There have been grindy games from the beginning, and there have been open world PvP games from the beginning. Darkfall and Fallen Earth are just as repetitive as everything else, they're just not WoW clones specifically.

Globala Agenda is laughable to be called an MMO, but it is as repetitive as every team deathmatch FPS ever created. So in that vein it is more repetitive then any other "MMO" out there.

As far as the OP's statement about the only example someone used that works is EvE, since there aren't 5-10 other space combat MMOs out there.

Originally posted by brostyn

One of these elitist EVE guys, eh? I know you're going to pull out the ol' "you must play WOW" card, but I actually don't. Spare me your insults. EVE is just as repetitive as all MMOs. Yes, MMOs are not only getting repetitive they have always been like that. Back to the days of UO and EQ.

Dont know why you're being defensive pre-emptively, but since you are, let me be pre-emptively polite: Im not a elitist EVE guy. I play EVE though, and also play Ryzom. Like them or not, they are original, and they are high quality games. And I dont hate WoW, played it for 4 years, had tons of fun.

And you're right, the nature of a mmorpg is to be repetitive. But then, why complain that mmos are getting repetitive if they always have been and its in their very nature?

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508

lol they were too repetetive 2 years ago. now there too repetitive and under developed at launch.

I dont have to try harder, Im already enjoying fairly unique mmos. 3 or 6 games, it doesnt matter, the point I was trying to make is that innovation and originality already exist, and they exist in very good quality. So there are tons of wow clones, so what? As long as there are quality alternatives, who cares?
    Take that as you wish.

It's not about you enjoying MMO's. It's about the market's current state. Namely how easy money-making by cloning a game like WoW is the trend, rather than coming up with something new and refreshing and innovative like said games (EvE, FE, etc). That, and the fact that he has every ground to comment on it, simply because it is the cold and sad truth.

It is sad that I can count the number of "different" games on both hands, compared to the "tons" of clones (And each day a new one being released it seems).

True. Which what I'm saying is, It couldn't hurt to have about 10 more types of MMO's that you could say.."There are only 5-10 other games like this one out there". Of course you cant just make an MMO out of anything, but I know developers can come up with more than fantasy fighting, space fighting, and military fighting.

Rock n' Roll Ninja

Take that as you wish.

It's not about you enjoying MMO's. It's about the market's current state. Namely how easy money-making by cloning a game like WoW is the trend, rather than coming up with something new and refreshing and innovative like said games (EvE, FE, etc). That, and the fact that he has every ground to comment on it, simply because it is the cold and sad truth.

It is sad that I can count the number of "different" games on both hands, compared to the "tons" of clones (And each day a new one being released it seems).

All true, but that is the one thing capitalism has going for it. People get to throw bad products away by simply not buying them. Maybe we should be complaining about "bad" gamers and not about the industry itself (although it does deserve a little blame).

Originally posted by RebelNinja

Of course I know there are many good distinctive games out there to play, but the main point still being, there are way too many WoW clones. I have played EVE and I'm actually installing it now, as for the other two games, I havent played but i will consider it! I don't mean to complain, but people need to get the hint. How many failed rpgs have you seen in the past few years that failed solely because it was JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER MMORPG?

Okay, that's a fair point I guess, though arguably a point I've seen a hundred times on these forums. I think there are a lot of games out there that are, if not hanging on, thriving because of their similarities. AOC seems to be doing pretty well, but I guess it's combat is a bit different from WoW. LotRO has a good fanbase, but being as lore heavy as it is I wonder how long can it milk it. And WAR, well... WAR should have been better, but, yeah, Mythic dropped the ball on it and I'm still pretty mad about it. And of course there are countless games out there that have followed the same path. But I think to discount the entire industry for so many failures is a bit shortsighted, it's like bashing the film industry for Transformers 2 (no offence if you liked that movie, wait, yeah offence if you liked that movie). But even titles like Mortal Online (insert flamewar here) are trying to break the mold with a more Elder Scrolls-esque RPG. I think you just need to give it time, try free trials, or if you have the money to, buy the games as they come up. There is variety out there, it's just hard to find.

Take that as you wish.

All true, but that is the one thing capitalism has going for it. People get to throw bad products away by simply not buying them. Maybe we should be complaining about "bad" gamers and not about the industry itself (although it does deserve a little blame).

Very valid point there. When people keep buying it, why stop producing it?

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Dont know why you're being defensive pre-emptively, but since you are, let me be pre-emptively polite: Im not a elitist EVE guy. I play EVE though, and also play Ryzom. Like them or not, they are original, and they are high quality games. And I dont hate WoW, played it for 4 years, had tons of fun.

You seriously don't know why someone would be put on the defensive when talking to an EVE purist? Well, I see you're kinda new around here.

Disclaimer:  btw, I'm teasing you at this point. Please don't take it harshly.

You seriously don't know why someone would be put on the defensive when talking to an EVE purist? Well, I see you're kinda new around here.

Im not "very" new, maybe compared to you (2004). Im just not a EVE purist. I really like EVE, dunno if that makes me one. Dont care either =P

Re: Disclaimer - yeah I know.