Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV "Serious Rival" to World of Warcraft

FreyFrey Member Posts: 87

Developer SquareEnix has expressed confidence that its forthcoming PlayStation 3 and PC MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV will be able to given even World of Warcraft a run for its money.

The Japanese firm's president Yoichi Wada has told Develop that it will be aiming to learn from its experience with Final Fantasy XI, its first massively multiplayer online title, to make the new game even better.

Among the changes it will be looking to make are the addition of more optional downloadable items and weapons to purchase, as he feels that Final Fantasy XI did not have enough.

The developer is also looking to make it easier for gamers to locate and join the parties of other players of a similar skill level.

Mr Wada said that Activision's hugely popular World of Warcraft represented "tough competition" for its game, but stated his belief that the new Final Fantasy will be a "serious rival".

Fans of the franchise will also be looking forward to Final Fantasy XIII, the new single-player adventure which launches for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in March.

Comments

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

The part with downloadable "items and weapons" was a missfire on Iwada's side. they later explained they wanted more downloadable stuff that WILL NOT  effect the game, it will all be athstetic stuff like re-making character customazations (aka: fix face features and whatnot NOT race) and things like server transfers and probably mog house style objects.

Also Iwada talks out his ass alot (liek the item/weapon thing for example lol) so the whole "we will compete with WoW" thing was more of a ruse for attention. The game will obviously compete in the sence that it is an MMO, but its quite different in how everything works (so dont expect a WoW clone)

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

every mmorpg developer says they will be serious rival to WoW heh, but none have been

I just hope we get a good game :(

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• trepotrepo Member Posts: 119

As soon as the playerbase populate a server everything is fine. Who cares about the sub if the game you play is not empty.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Originally posted by trepo

As soon as the playerbase populate a server everything is fine. Who cares about the sub if the game you play is not empty.

^^^ AMEN. id rather have 200k with a server full of people deticated to the game and its community over 5million with half those people being, immature children (not saying all are) "leets", a$$holes and overall greedy powerhungry folk.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

As long as SquareEnix keeps the bots at bay and caters to the players, all will be fine.

• aeliethaelieth Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Frey

Developer SquareEnix has expressed confidence that its forthcoming PlayStation 3 and PC MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV will be able to given even World of Warcraft a run for its money.
    The Japanese firm's president Yoichi Wada has told Develop that it will be aiming to learn from its experience with Final Fantasy XI, its first massively multiplayer online title, to make the new game even better.
    Among the changes it will be looking to make are the addition of more optional downloadable items and weapons to purchase, as he feels that Final Fantasy XI did not have enough.
    The developer is also looking to make it easier for gamers to locate and join the parties of other players of a similar skill level.
    Mr Wada said that Activision's hugely popular World of Warcraft represented "tough competition" for its game, but stated his belief that the new Final Fantasy will be a "serious rival".
    Fans of the franchise will also be looking forward to Final Fantasy XIII, the new single-player adventure which launches for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in March.

So says the developer, and every other developer developing an MMO. Seriously, who wouldn't want to give WoW a run for its money? Saying "Our game won't be as good as WoW." is like a professional team saying "We're not going to try this year because we're not that good." Their investors would noose them.

• CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

I just want to know if this game can deliver to people that are not necessarily a fan of the franchise like myself (not that i think its bad, just I'm pretty unfamiliar with the FF games).

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171
    Originally posted by SgtFrog

every mmorpg developer says they will be serious rival to WoW heh, but none have been

I still remember the "WoW is fast-food, we are steak and whine" from the AoC camp, and "WoW is like the beatles, we're  Led Zeppelin, we're heavy metal" from WAR's Paul Barnett... Some of the stuff that made me really rofl first time I played those games.

They're always going to say stuff like that, but it's all, always, advertising bull!@#$. That's going to stay the norm for all games as long as it works, aka people falling for the hype again and again.

There is no way FFXIV is going to rival WoW, 'cause that would mean it's going to be a very similar rehashed version, well-fare epix, relatively immature community. From what we know, it's none of those.. or is it? Might be the hype fiasco all over again, BEWARE!  xD

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Electriceye

Originally posted by SgtFrog

I still remember the "WoW is fast-food, we are steak and whine" from the AoC camp, and "WoW is like the beatles, we're  Led Zeppelin, we're heavy metal" from WAR's Paul Barnett... Some of the stuff that made me really rofl first time I played those games.

Well, to be fair.. barnett was using the Beatles and Zep not to say WAR would be better then WoW, just different. Both those bands are undeniably great.

Whether WoW OR WAR are undenaibly great, I will leave to you.

As for MT in FFXIV though... I won't pay it personally if they charge me a full premium sub for a game and then lock content away from me for extra dollars. Paid account services are fine though.

The truth is, noone knows what SE will do here... between very little real info and bad interpretation, noone really knows anything.

Hopefully we will get some hard details from Vanafest at the end of the month.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

XIV will be successful when they realize that no one is going to leave WoW for something similar to WoW.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Final Fantasy XI was a solid game in it's own right albeit rather more restrictive than any of the post eq games to be released, the direction XIV takes will determine it's success, a direct competitor for WoW's subs, highly unlikely, but if it can RETAIN a million subs or so it will be an outstanding success, the real test is if they can grow once the initial influx has receded.

I hope though that SE has been paying close attention to how WAR, AoC, CO, STO, AION & Allods have been developing in the west before making any monumentally stupid decisions. 

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

Those are two completely different type of games in the MMO world. And no it's not the fact that anything rivaling WoW is a rehash, it's just that you have games that involve elements that WoW has pretty much set a standard for. The FF Online series is community driven. It gives you something COMPLETELY different. There will be a lot of people looking to play both WoW: Cataclysm and FFXIV. And there's nothing wrong with that. There is no serious rivalry here. Just two major companies offering two different styles of MMO'ing for the gaming community.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

It won't rival WoW, if a) There is no PvP

b) The game won't be released in China

Both will probably come true, so I don't think they're really even trying to rival with WoW. It's just another option instead of replacement.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

WoW China was down for a year or so, but no word about the subscriber numbers getting a hit, they seemed to remain at 11 million ?

You think they'd tell you if the subscriber number went down? Let's be honest here..

• TrihfluTrihflu Member Posts: 97

Doubt it.  People are always preaching that the death of WoW will come with X game.  It's not going to destroy WoW, and I would be surprised if FFXIV gets half the subscribers that WoW had at it's peak (which is currently about 11.5 m, and likely to rise when their new expansion comes out).  Lastly, they're two very different games that target different types of players.  WoW targets the general casual audience, while FFXIV targets hardcore PvE'rs that prefer slower gameplay style.  I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a healthy sum of players and steals a bit of WoW's player base, but will it give Blizzard a run for their money?  Ask the developers of just about any MMO that came out after WoW.  There were people predicting that AoC, Aion and many other MMOs would be "Serious Rival" to WoW.  They clearly aren't.

This statement is false.

• zippy123zippy123 Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Both will probably come true, so I don't think they're really even trying to rival with WoW. It's just another option instead of replacement.

I don't want Chinese gold farmers in the game anyways or people running around who can't speak English. They won't rival WoW unless they can come up with something completely fresh new and very fun. They do need to implement the random dungeon party system WoW just put in not long ago, that is a great idea and this is one idea FF should copy if they want to copy anything from WoW. It beats standing around waiting to get a group together or having to rely on a guild and plan your life around a dungeon raid.

Originally posted by zippy123

I don't want Chinese gold farmers in the game anyways or people running around who can't speak English. They won't rival WoW unless they can come up with something completely fresh new and very fun. They do need to implement the random dungeon party system WoW just put in not long ago, that is a great idea and this is one idea FF should copy if they want to copy anything from WoW. It beats standing around waiting to get a group together or having to rely on a guild and plan your life around a dungeon raid.

Oh, you will see gil farmers regardless of the game being released on china or not.. You will also see people who don't speak English, but there's the auto-translate function for that.

The random dungeon party system is good when it comes to PUG's, but some (most?) events require more coordination and skill than what playing with random strangers would offer. 

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by zippy123

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Really? People who play the same game as you, but don't speak English, bothers you?  Amazing.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Ah yes, the good 'ol wow killer statement. It's been said many times before. We'll see how it works out. If anything, they will have the PS3 market with them as well, so that's a plus.

But at the end of the day, I just hope it's a good game that will try new things, rather than copy features (although that is debatable, if they implement things better than anyone else has up to that point).

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649

People, like me, who loved FFXI want nothing more than FFXIV to NOT compete with WoW.

To compete with WoW requires that the game appeal to the masses.  The masses cannot devote 20+ hours to a game.  A vast majority of people are casual players who don't even read forums, and especially not forums dedicated to MMORPGs.

For FFXIV to compete with WoW it will have to give up too much, it will drastically be different than FFXI.  The fact that the game has ZERO PvP will not make it a natural rival to WoW.  I have many friend's and family who only play wow for the pvp.  My cousin does Arena and that's it.

A purely PVE game is heaven for me, but not for the masses.  At most, I believe FFXI will have 2 million subscribers, and probably 500K in the U.S.

If FFXIV is as good as FFXI, and it only has 100k, I don't give a crap.  It will be perfect for me.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Originally posted by Hrayr2148

People, like me, who loved FFXI want nothing more than FFXIV to NOT compete with WoW.
    To compete with WoW requires that the game appeal to the masses.  The masses cannot devote 20+ hours to a game.  A vast majority of people are casual players who don't even read forums, and especially not forums dedicated to MMORPGs.
    For FFXIV to compete with WoW it will have to give up too much, it will drastically be different than FFXI.  The fact that the game has ZERO PvP will not make it a natural rival to WoW.  I have many friend's and family who only play wow for the pvp.  My cousin does Arena and that's it.
    A purely PVE game is heaven for me, but not for the masses.  At most, I believe FFXI will have 2 million subscribers, and probably 500K in the U.S.
    If FFXIV is as good as FFXI, and it only has 100k, I don't give a crap.  It will be perfect for me.

Most WoW players dont play PvP though.

To rival WoW it just have to be fun and addictive.

Many people are burned out of WoW until Cataclysm, so it would be perfect if FFXIV came out now :)

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649
    Originally posted by Arcona

Originally posted by Hrayr2148

Most WoW players dont play PvP though.

To rival WoW it just have to be fun and addictive.

Many people are burned out of WoW until Cataclysm, so it would be perfect if FFXIV came out now :)

I guess what I meant to say is that WoW has everything.  Good or bad.  It has hardcore pvp, casual pvp, hardcore pve (hard modes), casual pve, etc etc.

Let's say 15% of WoW's player base is only pvp players and they want pvp in an MMO, then FFXIV is not a game they will likely try.

FFXIV might be the best PvE game ever made ( I hope it is), but one aspect of  a game isn't everyone's cup of tea.

• braingame007braingame007 Member UncommonPosts: 98

Actually Zanfire I would have to say you are wrong, and also this is based on the Japanese's culture and way of life. One they are very modest people and do not talk out their asses as such as you seen in companies from other countries. That being said, means he truly does believe they are onto something big this time and with that statement alone, I feel that this is the only MMO that will be able to compete with WoW toe to toe, for the time being.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't know or care about subscriptions,but imo the game cannot help but surpass what WOW offers.Wow offers to a player like me almost nothing,i do not like a single aspect of WOW's design,there is nothing in side the game that i would keep.

In saying that ,i am sure FFXIV will have some faults as well, but i guarantee it will not be an Everquest copy and it will have some unique ideas.Wow has not created a single unique idea ever so not hard to surpass that game,if you want some actual fun and challenging game play,FFXIV will offer more thanWOW for sure.

At the VERY worst,FFXIV might be a little more geared towards doing quests than FFXI was,this i won't like,but i am sure the rest of the game will be cool.Without sounding like a fanbois,i truly believe FFXIV will surpass WOW in pretty much every feature of the game,except ONE,PVP,VERY few people in the FF community care about PVP,and PVP does not a good MMORPG make.

To show how finnicky people are,FFXIII has been crtiticized for being story driven LMAO,they say the story is driving the game towards linearity.No kidding FFXIII is a single player game ,it is suppose to be story/linear driven,lmao,if you want an MMO you don't look to a Single player game.The same nonsense happens with MMO's ,people want MMO's to be single players games,geesh people really are  clueless at times.Even with some of FFXIII's linear design ,the whole game is not linear,just parts to help support the story,i think people have been brainwashed to thinking every game is a simple WOWesque ride in the park.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.