Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adding Battlegrounds Won't help a game with Terrible PVP

FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

Now if you have only played Everquest then you probably dont understand just how bad of a system you're using. Oh I have heard the comments that you have a complicated pvp system and you think its hard and all that. But if anyone has played this game and other good pvp games like Guild Wars, they giggle a little bit inside. Honestly what will EQ players do on a board the size of Alterac Valley? Most EQ battles dont go any further than a few feet, for one The Autotargeting is so overpowered its POINTLESS to run, as long as they have a bead on you they will nuke you through mountain sides. So most pvp group battles take place in a few feet, of people bombing each other like retards waiting for the other guy to die.. while they look right at each other.

PVP in Everquest is like just like raid bosses so that Raiders can understand it... its effin horrible.

Run away from pvp on this game.

Oh and Autoattack is not really auto attack in EQ2, its stays auto until you move.. then it turns off.. sort of makes mobile melee kind of pointless aye? Why not switch over to a turn based system its all your really doing anyway.

Comments

• fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003

Hard to disagree with you tbh i cant fathom why they'vechosen to do the BG stuff when they've recently merged the PVP servers but then this is SOE after all and at times its hard to see thier thinking clearly for this game.

• d00fbysanchod00fbysancho Member Posts: 219

EQ1/2 isn't really a pvp type game pretty much added to see if they get more players

• MavisPMavisP Member Posts: 181
    Originally posted by d00fbysancho

EQ1/2 isn't really a pvp type game pretty much added to see if they get more players

Agreed. While some are interested in the EQ2 BG this game, to me anyway, isnt about PVP. The lore and exploration are the games strong points. They could have used the resources for things other than BG.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by MavisP
    Agreed. While some are interested in the EQ2 BG this game, to me anyway, isnt about PVP. The lore and exploration are the games strong points. They could have used the resources for things other than BG.

True. I think people om the PvP servers have complained about the unfair ratio between good and evil (When I played on one had we 4 evil for every good character. A battleground will even that out but I think they could scrap PvP all together in th e game, it is one of the worst aspects of the game.

It is almost impossible to make a good PvP game with so many classes in, add the system with masters and the many low level public dungeons and open PvP really sucks. In that aspect will battlegrounds suck less but they will instead lack the hunting factor of open world.

PvP can be incredible fun but EQ2 never hit the spot with it and doing like Wow is not going to make things better (PvP was never Wows strong side either). It must be integrated in a game from the start like in DAoC to be good, or like in Guildwars.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

one thing is sure!they lunch at a not so good date(almost the end of the month (only 28 days this month)

and player baught it way more then i expected (since most havent the budget to buy it because valentine was 2-3 day before

yes check xfire it rise and a lot .hell almost all new eq2 player arent shown on xfire lol

this means the fact they went to local store was a big pay off move for eq2 player are coming back to that (aka lame game ,according to some nay sayer here)im sorry but the everquest 2 is a liked game they might have to adjust:

so what wow adjust the game what 100 of thousand of time just for pvp alone

pvp evolve its one of the facet of gaming that is insanelly hard to pin point.its trial and error till you find the proper balance

i bet soe is working on a patch right now seeing where pvp doesnt work as intended!

on the 23 (official lunch)i sure will buy this title been waiting a while for new expension since i didnt want to spend 2 time

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Explain the autoattack system to me please.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Faelsun

Now if you have only played Everquest then you probably dont understand just how bad of a system you're using. Oh I have heard the comments that you have a complicated pvp system and you think its hard and all that. But if anyone has played this game and other good pvp games like Guild Wars, they giggle a little bit inside. Honestly what will EQ players do on a board the size of Alterac Valley? Most EQ battles dont go any further than a few feet, for one The Autotargeting is so overpowered its POINTLESS to run, as long as they have a bead on you they will nuke you through mountain sides. So most pvp group battles take place in a few feet, of people bombing each other like retards waiting for the other guy to die.. while they look right at each other.

PVP in Everquest is like just like raid bosses so that Raiders can understand it... its effin horrible.
    Run away from pvp on this game.
    Oh and Autoattack is not really auto attack in EQ2, its stays auto until you move.. then it turns off.. sort of makes mobile melee kind of pointless aye? Why not switch over to a turn based system its all your really doing anyway.

I dont' see battle grounds as having anything to do with their pvp servers.

Most people who crave pvp will go to pvp games. And those who crave even more hardcore pvp will go to Eve or Darkfall.

I see battle grounds as a way to add pvp for those people who would normally not pvp. Of course targetting someone through a mountain would most likely be a bug and should be reported.

I imagine that the Battle Grounds are more like Warhammer's scenarios?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I didn't read the OP, but I agree with the thread title. 

Battlegrounds are a completely pointless PvP addition to what is definitely a PvE game.  If you want PvP, you really should play something else as EQ2 isn't very good at it.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Originally posted by arieste

Battlegrounds are a completely pointless PvP addition to what is definitely a PvE game.  If you want PvP, you really should play something else as EQ2 isn't very good at it.

Yeah but that sort of assumes that people are either pve or pvp.

Players who play lotro are mostly playing for the pve but they can avail themselves of pvp when they get in the mood. I imagine it's the same with EQ 2.

Sometimes players just want to do a little pvp without making it a whole game choice.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Players who play lotro are mostly playing for the pve but they can avail themselves of pvp when they get in the mood. I imagine it's the same with EQ 2.

Sometimes players just want to do a little pvp without making it a whole game choice.

4 years ago, during EQ2's first expansion, EQ2 introduced PvP Arena combat that's been abandoned since the day it was introducted.  Yes, supremely bored PvE players do like to - once in a while - do a duel or get into some meaningless PvP.   But this hardly constitutes EQ2 being a "pvp game".  What I'm saying it that those that are looking mainly for PvP, should look elsewhere. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

4 years ago, during EQ2's first expansion, EQ2 introduced PvP Arena combat that's been abandoned since the day it was introducted.  Yes, supremely bored PvE players do like to - once in a while - do a duel or get into some meaningless PvP.   But this hardly constitutes EQ2 being a "pvp game".  What I'm saying it that those that are looking mainly for PvP, should look elsewhere. 

Well that I would agree with. Same with LOTRO.

dont know what eq2 did this expension they forgot at the other expension but as the 21 of feb they were at 2495 hours

wich im glad to say is going very nice its a steady climb .for them not being in ebgame(local store)truelly was killing their game

im glad this game is doing so well i look forward to get my copy tomorrow at official lunch day!

• kevingailykevingaily Member Posts: 113

This. I am a PvE guy, but I like to do some casual PvP. Not everyone wants to be pigeon holed into an either/or group.

Haven't played EQ2 in a looong time, but I agree on the principle regardless as to if it will succeed or not, lol :D

• fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003

Agreed.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Thats fine with me. PvP sucks anyway. I'm glad the devs haven't balanced for it. Every other game on the market has PvP. The PvE'rs can have ONE game that isn't screwed over by the leet crowd.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I love the whole "pvpers should look elsewhere" attitude. Not everyone who likes to pvp ONLY cares about pvp, it is just one aspect of the entire gaming experience, and different pvpers find different forms of pvp more entertaining for different reasons. So if I find EQ2 to be a great game overall, but would also like to pvp in it, i should look elsewhere? Ive got a better idea... you could just keep playing the game as you have been, and just stay out of battlegrounds. Its not like logging in to the game suddenly loads you into a battleground where you're unable to access the rest of the game unless you pvp. So if you dont want to do battlegrounds & pvp, why not simply stay out of them, and let those who would enjoy them have fun? If theyre going to be adding more pvp through battlegrounds, and hopefully slightly improving it overall, then i say great, more fun to be had when the rest of you get tired of beating those super tough computer controlled enemies....

i have played eq2 a bit and so far control were pretty tight!true the way pvp is made is different then other game it means player have to use brain a  lot more since you cant just spam like many other game .for em the whole eq2 game is very nice !

• kevingailykevingaily Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

I love the whole "pvpers should look elsewhere" attitude. Not everyone who likes to pvp ONLY cares about pvp, it is just one aspect of the entire gaming experience, and different pvpers find different forms of pvp more entertaining for different reasons. So if I find EQ2 to be a great game overall, but would also like to pvp in it, i should look elsewhere? Ive got a better idea... you could just keep playing the game as you have been, and just stay out of battlegrounds. Its not like logging in to the game suddenly loads you into a battleground where you're unable to access the rest of the game unless you pvp. So if you dont want to do battlegrounds & pvp, why not simply stay out of them, and let those who would enjoy them have fun? If theyre going to be adding more pvp through battlegrounds, and hopefully slightly improving it overall, then i say great, more fun to be had when the rest of you get tired of beating those super tough computer controlled enemies....

Well said. Thank you! :D

I do want to add, that in all fairness the dev's should not try to "balance" the classes since this game is historically PvE (minus the dedicated PvP server). This way the PvE folks will notice absolutely nothing different and continue as they have been while the rest who want to do the BGs will have fun as well.