Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another "Interested in Buying AION" thread

Demandred22Demandred22 Member Posts: 2

So I am interested in purchasing AION...  Yes, I've done my research, and I understand the whole PvPvE concept, and I know this game is a grind, compared to MMO's like WOW, but I'm an old EQ player, and that game was definitely a grind, so it's not an issue.  I've also been reading that the games population has seriously declined over the past few months, and the server populations are spread thin at the moment. And the most active servers are Ariel, and Siel, based on what I've read... 

Does this still hold true?  Have the server populations shifted any? And what server do you think I should choose as a new player?  Purely based on ease of finding groups, and maybe an active legion to help me out by supplying people to group with... 

Thanks for your input! 

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

The population thing is way exaggerated by people who love to bash the game, their are tons of people playing the game, and i have never had problems getting a group at any level for anything.

As for the most active servers, I agree siel is one of the more populated, but im not sure about Ariel. I've heard Lumiel is pretty high and Triniel, but again thats just what i've heard, i spend most of my time on Lumiel :3

As a new players..i'd obviously recommend Lumiel(east) since im loving it there, Triniel and Siel are also good choices and maybe zikel. If you've heard Ariel is high populated then thats a good choice as well.

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

Compare the PVP activities between Warhammer and Aion, Aion PVP is about one percent of Warhammer PVP.

If Aion did not make PVP more popular then there could be many ppl turn to  play PVE game especially FFXIV is not a PVP mmo.

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

I came from Lineage 2 to Aion grinding is definately not an issue but the game is so boring it made me want to gouge my eyes out.  If you dont mind RNG crafting simple repetative quests and tank and spank for every boss its the game for you.

• Demandred22Demandred22 Member Posts: 2

What do you like about Lumiel that you think the server is better than the others Wolfenpride?  Are you also a new player?  Do you know of anyone with an extra trial key by any chance? :)

• OnimorOnimor Member Posts: 24

The game is visually very nice, the characters look cool when kitted out and the grind isn't that bad. It's a nice change from wow. THe combat gets better too, but takes time to really get any worth while moves, ITs not like wow where you can do some much by level 15.

hope that helps.

• Zandora2018Zandora2018 Member Posts: 240

Azphel is the most active server to date. That being siad i love the game and have a ton of fun, but can not wait for server transfers /mergers to happen. I play on Israphel and have only taken an inner fort 1 time !!. Other servers are way way way head of us. So anyone who says the game in doing fine really needs to play it and stop QQing about it. But if you like PvP and some PvE then yes this is a fun game

Played Aoc/DDO/FFXI/WAR / LoTRo / CO / Aion
    Playing Rift

Waiting for FFXIV to be the game it should. so sad =(

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Originally posted by Demandred22

What do you like about Lumiel that you think the server is better than the others Wolfenpride?  Are you also a new player?  Do you know of anyone with an extra trial key by any chance? :)

Lumiel just seems a lot more laidback than the others, for some reason I feel the players there aren't as pressured about leveling than when i played on Zikel, so i thought that was nice. Really I love the people who go to the abyss and sieges, elyos side has amazing and organized leaders for every siege, and the asmo's always put up a decent fight, especially from some hardcore pvp legions like Cadia and Twilight Order.

I'm not fresh new, my main is a 40 glad on lumiel but theirs a lot of areas/dungeons i haven't done yet, so im still noob in that sense :P

I did a population check myself as well compared to Zikel a few months back, and it had about on average over a week 100-200 more players than Zikel did in the evening/night, at least for elyos side (i assumed Asmodians were the same or greater with the server rations on the aion site) so its also more populated i think, but not by much.

I unfortunately don't have a trial key since I did not order my game with a box :(

• TrihfluTrihflu Member Posts: 97

In retrospect, I regret buying Aion.  It's not a bad game, in fact it's pretty good, it's just that for the first 20 or so levels of the game there is nothing to do except grind.

This statement is false.

• Maddrox181Maddrox181 Member UncommonPosts: 133

Most of the US servers are about the same population wise , I play on Vaizel and even during the AM hours you usually see many group spams and groups running instances , rifting and abyss activity , I even see a few people in the starting zones everytime i'm through there, one thing you have to consider is that on some servers the players are more pvp or pve oriented than others .. I know it sounds strange but I have a character on a few different servers and have seen the changes personally  Zikel , Azphel seem to be more pvp than pve , Vaizel is 50/50 and Siel seems to be about 50/50 compaired to the above mentioned.

Also , I don't mind sending out a few Refer-a-friend mini trials just send me a pm with your email address and be patient cause i only check this site every couple of days.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Trihflu

In retrospect, I regret buying Aion.  It's not a bad game, in fact it's pretty good, it's just that for the first 20 or so levels of the game there is nothing to do except grind.

Not true at all. The first 30 levels were the best part of the game. I didn't run out of quests until around 37. The problem now, as i'm going through the game on an alt, is the level difference. The majority of the elyos on my server refuse to enter the Abyss, so instead they rift all day, which makes leveling more difficult. Now,  that doesn't really bother me much, but it does some.

I keep reiterating this over and over but, the best part of Aion for me was during beta when the level cap was 30 and there was constant PVP all day long. The lack of content at 50, on my server anyway, has led to people making alts and keeping them at level 31 just to rift all day and have fun. I'm also on one of the top 2 or 3 PVP servers.

I also don't regret Aion, as it was a blast. Try not to rush to 50, and pick a class that you'll enjoy grinding abyss points on once you're 50.

Originally posted by Alders

Not true at all. The first 30 levels were the best part of the game. I didn't run out of quests until around 37. The problem now, as i'm going through the game on an alt, is the level difference. The majority of the elyos on my server refuse to enter the Abyss, so instead they rift all day, which makes leveling more difficult. Now,  that doesn't really bother me much, but it does some.
     I keep reiterating this over and over but, the best part of Aion for me was during beta when the level cap was 30 and there was constant PVP all day long. The lack of content at 50, on my server anyway, has led to people making alts and keeping them at level 31 just to rift all day and have fun. I'm also on one of the top 2 or 3 PVP servers.
     I also don't regret Aion, as it was a blast. Try not to rush to 50, and pick a class that you'll enjoy grinding abyss points on once you're 50.

I think the reason people like to rush to lv30 just because they want to get the complete armor set. I was thinking to fast level to lv30 as well. If you need more armors then you have to delete your lv30 and roll another new character again until all your other alts has complete armor set.

However, I think it is not worthy.

• Rover64ddRover64dd Member Posts: 144

Dont buy Aion it f'ing sucks. I made it to level 16ish and thought my god this game is as fun as cleaning out my car. So I cancelled my sub and cleaned out my car. No really though this game is flat out stupid. Youre looking at a huge amount of time to get max level and absolutely no dragon/boss raiding. Only pvp. And the flight is pretty stupid. But you want to know the very worst part about Aion? No refunds. The game is stupid loud and annoying. Pigs feet sound like theres 30 kids scuffing their feet in sand right in your ear. Everything is loud and screaming and annoying. FFXI did a nice job at balancing noise and beauty. This game is just noise. I honestly cant stand aion and its in my top 5 of games i regretted buying. Id say number 2 after Operation Flashpoint.

Never take life too seriously youre never gonna make it out alive.

• MorningStarGGMorningStarGG Member UncommonPosts: 394

So I am interested in purchasing AION...  Yes, I've done my research, and I understand the whole PvPvE concept, and I know this game is a grind, compared to MMO's like WOW, but I'm an old EQ player, and that game was definitely a grind, so it's not an issue.  I've also been reading that the games population has seriously declined over the past few months, and the server populations are spread thin at the moment. And the most active servers are Ariel, and Siel, based on what I've read... 
    Does this still hold true?  Have the server populations shifted any? And what server do you think I should choose as a new player?  Purely based on ease of finding groups, and maybe an active legion to help me out by supplying people to group with... 

Thanks for your input! 

Don't give NCSoft a cent for this game. Their support is worse then terrible. They ban random players, they then ban accounts that were hacked and when returned after months of fighting them over it they will not restore characters, rather they delete ones that were yours just because the hacker leveled it. You won't get items back, money back, or any kind of refund in or out of game.

They don't care about the players, and never have. Avoid it at all costs.

Owner/Admin of GodlessGamer.com - Gaming news and reviews for the godless.

• TrihfluTrihflu Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by Alders

Originally posted by Trihflu

You missed my point.  It's not the lack of quests, it's just that you have to grind quests until you get to level 25.  Then you can actually do stuff.  There is very little to do other than do quests for the first 20 or so levels.

This statement is false.

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

My experience was less than satisfactory with this game, I bought the game collectors edition and really regret it now. I wouldn't put any money into this, the game itself is nice looking but that is about it. The game's focus is entirely cosmetic and hardly at all gameplay, there seems to be absolutely no point to the game except to grind for 4 months straight (That is if you play every day) and once you get to end-game you spend weeks PvPing just to get that one piece of armor. I would suggest either waiting for this years release of games or trying Age of Conan, which might I say has improved amazingly. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how much fun you have in that game, I know I was. I went in thinking it was going to suck, and so far have not been able to stop playing, it's fantastic.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by spyder2k5

Thanks for your input! 

Don't give NCSoft a cent for this game. Their support is worse then terrible. They ban random players, they then ban accounts that were hacked and when returned after months of fighting them over it they will not restore characters, rather they delete ones that were yours just because the hacker leveled it. You won't get items back, money back, or any kind of refund in or out of game.

They don't care about the players, and never have. Avoid it at all costs.

you sound more like a disgruntled botter or gold buyer that got banned.i have seen people that got hacked/banned and everything was returned to them winthin a week or 2. guy named Killren on my server was hacked and lost all his stuff and is now back and in full Fenris set that he had before it happend. and they don't listen to their customers? why do you think they banned all those gold spammers and botters in the first place? i haven't seen gold spam in weeks and when you do you may see 1 and its gone the same day never to be heard from again. i have SEEN a gm in Pandamonium go up to a private shop that was advertising some gold site nuke him kill it and from what he told me that also banns the account and all associated accounts. if you was to post a location in chat when the gm is on his rounds he would go there and kill the bot wich banned them. i also saw that happen myself aswell, GM named Vagabond did it.

to the OP i wouldn't ask anything on this site all you will get is ADD trolls that complain about the grind. i've been playing since the korean test server and i enjoy the game. has some of the population left? of course all games lose subs after the first month. but my server "Yustiel" is very active we have full raids showing up for forts every night it happends on both sides. also see alot of people in LFG channel. there is pve dungeons not as many as i'd like but they're there. i break up the grind with questing,pve dungeons,pvp dungeons, PvP fort sieges,PVP in the abyss and Rifting wich take you into the other sides areas to pvp. i have a 41 Spirit Master,40 Ranger, 32 Assassin,30 Gladiator and a couple lowbies i plan on playing sometime.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Last time i played was about three weeks ago on the telemachus (EU) Server..always had plenty of people playing on it...even at 3 in the morning

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• AernisimmAernisimm Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by abyss610

you sound more like a disgruntled botter or gold buyer that got banned.i have seen people that got hacked/banned and everything was returned to them winthin a week or 2. guy named Killren on my server was hacked and lost all his stuff and is now back and in full Fenris set that he had before it happend. and they don't listen to their customers?

I'm curious about something.  Do you really think it is 'okay' and 'acceptable' for someone to have been randomly banned and then forced to wait two weeks to get their stuff back?

I'm amazed that anyone who goes through that would continue to play afterwards.  That is something I will never understand.

To the OP:  Most of the reports about the servers 'dying' are exaggeration.  Some of the servers are pretty quiet but most are very playable.  Yes, the population continues to fall with each passing week and so far the populations have not stabilized so expect to see less people playing Aion next month than this month but, that being said, there are still 'enough' players on each server.

I stopped playing Aion because I decided that it was not worth the price per month.  This is a game that does not have 24/7 in game support like every other subscription based MMO.  This game has really bad customer service - I had two personal experiences with support and both were terrible.  If you never have to deal with support you will have an alright experience in the game but, trust me, you can tell that there is no 24/7 in game support.

The game itself is mostly fun.  Enjoy it while you can and stop playing when it gets boring.  Personally, I'd advise just giving the game a pass entirely.  It really isn't worth the subscription fee.  But if you do decide to give it a go:  try to have fun and don't expect much of anything from NCSoft West.  Play the game for the game and try your best to ignore everything that NCSoft West does.  Your experience will be a better one for it.

• Rover64ddRover64dd Member Posts: 144

just dont buy it alright. get allods online and play untill your mmo fix is gone. its free to play and not terrible like aion. kapeesh?

Never take life too seriously youre never gonna make it out alive.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

I think what most people failed to say opn this thread is there is fun to be had in Aion but will you enjoy it.  There is a grind but I managed to skip most of it and I still enjy the game.  There are plenty of people on Ariel were I play and I stay up most nights to 6-7am CST.  I say try it only you can be the judge.

On Kalil (EU) server, players mainly from Russia, Poland, Czech, Slovenia, Middle East, Asia,ex-Yugoslavia, Spanish, and the minority from England, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Italy, Holland and many other countries as you would name it. It is very difficult to grouping together without trouble of ninja, ks, word of war.

I also think many players are playing Aion from F2P and to some of them Aion could be their first pay to play mmorpg. 

Kalil is dominant by Elyos side which means if you playing on Elyos, you have to get along with the majority. The guild is never like the guild in Lotro, imo, it is even worse than WOW.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Thanks for your input! 

Plenty of people on Triniel.

Essentially, those who didn't like it left and those who liked it stayed.

As far as the grind, that is not exactly correct. There are plenty of quests though there are some rough spots where quests won't quite get you to the next level.

but a clannie of mine got to lvl 45 last night, did some quests in Brusthonin and we discovered that he was at 46% today.

Heck, I got 5% by turning in my first quest in Brusthonin when I just hit lvl 45.

I appreciate that one person indicated that all you do is quest grind for 20 levels but isn't that what you do in most games? Wow, LOTRO,, EQ 2, CoX, Vanguard, the list goes on. For the life of me I don't know why you can't facton pvp until around 20 or so but there it is. I believe the reason was to give players a chance to get used to their characters but we all know it's not rocket science.

In any case, the quests are varied. Some are actually quite good if you stop to read their text. Others are just  "I need some ingredients, go kill 5 of x".

The main mission quests are nice, I like the pvp though your mileage may vary.

I say pick whichever server you are interested in (personally I would try to go for whatever the most populated is as that is always a good bet) and just try it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo