Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Opinion of Bioware and its future games.

Comments

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by Bondelas

I hardly ever respond to posts (say what you will), but this one was kind of hard to pass up.
    Now I don't know if I want to pick apart the mechanics of Biowares games so far...nor do I think its fair to only include their mass effect and dragon age franchises.  Bioware has been bringing us some pretty fantastic games over the years, all of them trying new mechanics and refined old ones.  Even though I do think you are horribly mis informed in most of your opinions, I think you are generally missing the point of why it is such a big deal that Bioware is joining the MMO market.
    Bioware...like Blizzard, Square-Enix, and a few other publishers have the rare ability of bringing a video game world alive.  Your journey feels like you are just one story arc of a massive world that has been living and breathing far before you ever stepped foot into gamestop to reserve your copy.  It is that rare refined feeling...almost like your reading a novel...like someone thought of this world first...and from this world came a story.  Bioware continues to do this...
    This is something thats missing from many of our MMOs...I won't go as far as to say which MMOs, I don't want this post to be burned down...but we want a better story right?  We want a world where grinding isn't where our story ends...right?
    Gah, maybe this is just me, but if you really spent 60 hours playing ME2 (Mind you I did a full finish with 45), then you must have really been enveloped in the story....and well thats what Bioware does...
    - Bondelas

Shirley pay the man!

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• AgartAgart Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Originally posted by chrisel

Still, I had 60 good hrs in Mass Effect. But I dont think I would have bought it if I knew it was that short, and I am definately not  hyped about their 'Mass Effect 3'.
    Now a few words about Dragon Age;
    It managed to hold my interest for like 30 minutes. What a piece of crap. Enough said about that. Not worth any more attention from me.

You are comparing a single player game with an MMO. 60 hours is pretty good for a console/single player game. A lot of console's RPGs last about 30 hours or less these days. Most of the people i know that played Dragon Age like the game. The story is my favorite part of a game, so that's why i love Bioware and that's why i know SW:TOR will be an awesome game.

Don't say a game is crap because you prefer open world and playing one character at a time when the game you are bashing is all about the story, dialogues and playing multiple characters.

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990
    Originally posted by Moirae

1. Everything you said is completely opinion, and nothing of worth.

Thank you for pointing something out that is already in the headline of my post... And thank you for taking your precious time to reply to my post. Obviously it had some worth. Why would you else post a reply? You sound like funny little man . I love your humor!

2. There's a really simple answer to the "problems" you're complaining about... DON'T PLAY THEIR GAMES IF YOU DON'T LIKE THEM.

I like this! I have actually never thought about it before... NOT.

Again, Thank you for pointing out the obvious.

3. Why did you bother to come on here to complain? Nothing is going to come of it. You aren't going to change anyone's mind, and the company is still going to do what the company does because they are widely considered one of the best game companies in the world.

For the same obvious reasons as you do.

4. I'd bet a million dollars that you think WoW is gods gift to gamers.

It is quite obviously that I will I bet a million dollars you do not.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

ATTENTION!!

I am happy to announce that I will not pre-order the SW-TOR.

Many here have told me to not play games I do not like. Well, these persons are obviously playing it already, and know myself better than I do. I will becuase of this, take this advice, and wait until someone will tell me it is a great game for me. Hopefully I will be told by some of you, who clearly know myself better than I do, and better than I ever will.

To those who are too retarded to understand this was sarcasm, I have this to say:

Playing Mass Effect 2 & Dragon Age was what made me take this decision.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

A week ago I went into a shop and came out with both Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age. I was extremely hyped about the ME2 though, after reading a review. I only had mediocre expectations about Dragon Age though, as the way Bioware handles the playing of multiple characters doesnt appeal me much.
    Well at home, I installed both games, and started out with ME2. I will try to tell you my scepticism about the upcoming SW-TOR by playing ME2.
    First of all I must say I am true fan of The Elder Scroll series. That is the way any RPG/MMO should be made. For me. I dont like any game to be focused around multiple characters, even though I really like how LOTRO has handled the skirmishes with multiple characters.
    The one thing that struck me immediately when playing ME2, was how "closed" it was. I really felt like being in a way too small rubber jacket. This was giving me the feeling as being as far from a "sandbox" as it could be. Will the MMO's be the same? Hard to say, but still, Dragon Age is build up quite similar, so I am sceptic here. This has turned my hype about upcoming SW-TOR alot, even though I would like to see Bioware and their MMO's on top above WoW.
    The next thing that hit me, was the way too simple character developing. really, can you even call it a character developing? Handfull of skills, increasable in only 4 tiers? Laughable at best. If Bioware wants to show some muscles on the MMO marked, shouldnt they start with what they can first? Not impressed at that part either.
    When it comes to the movement and control/feeling of the Avatar, I would say this was below average.  Lightyears from how tight the toons feel in WoW though. And way below how a decent RPG/game should be today.
    Another concern, dunno if that is appropriate to compare with the MMO genre, was how short ME2 was; I went through it in around 60hrs, reading everything, visiting/depleting every planet. This was including all the cinematic sequences which is prolly 30% of total gaming time. Do I need say this game is ridicolously small? This shocked me. Hype dropped alot.
    Last and biggest concern, was how little "free" I felt. It was like someone was holding my hand all the way. No real danger of messing things up. Most "themepark" feeling I ever had in any serious RPG/MMO game. This is a really bad sign if you ask me. The whole concept felt immature; it was like being around 14 year old kids who just had learnt their first curse words.
    Still, I had 60 good hrs in Mass Effect. But I dont think I would have bought it if I knew it was that short, and I am definately not  hyped about their 'Mass Effect 3'.
    It managed to hold my interest for like 30 minutes. What a piece of crap. Enough said about that. Not worth any more attention from me.
    Conclusion: I am no prophet, but I said it about STO; it will fail, and it did. Even more than I foresaw. I say it again; SW-TOR will fail.
    Regarding SW-TOR; I hope it will be a success, but judging from their RPG's I fear my prophecy will become reality. What I am sure about though; it will never challenge WoW and it's subscribers. I sincerely wish I could say something else, but there are no evidence that points in any other direction as far I can see it.
    Right now I have my faith in FunCom's upcoming 'The Secret World'. Hopefully they can get it right this time.
    [Mod Edit]

My Edit:
    Gotit. This thread was moved into SW:TOR forum.
    -Chris

Interesting post.

So you generally buy games that you have no expectations for?

As for Dragon Age being total crap and your conclusion of SWTOR failure. BioWare has a full expansion releasing next month as well as a Sequel planned for 2011. Seems like a lot of work for a game to have sucked so bad. I can't exactly say why STO failed, I knew it wouldn't do so well, I can only assume it lacked quality as a whole, something Cryptic shares. What got me is how you are placing all hope in a company made of mediocreness. If you can place faith in TSW I think It's safe to say you are probably wrong about SWTOR fate.

BioWare SPRPGs are about the story. This is something that must be accepted before you actually dive strait into them. You mentioned TES. I'll agree those games are great but I also know the difference between a BioWare Single Player game and  Bethesda Single Player game. But even Bethesda is begging to fall a little. Oblivion showed us that Bethesda was beginning to get lazy by delivering us a game that promised exploration to only find the world to not be all that interesting. They did Morrowind right, but Oblivion was so bad I had to play it in small periods over months. That's irrelevant so I'll stop complaining. In short  a Bethesda RPG vs a BioWare RPG is basically saying Freedom Vs Story Telling. They both lack what's being challenged. I'm ok with this however. I play a Bethesda game for the exploration and I play a BioWare game for the story telling. I also haven't forgotten these are single player games.

SWTOR is an MMO, freedom should be expected and demanded. I can say I have not compared DA:O or ME to SWTOR outside of Story. It would be a very, VERY dumb move for BioWare to not include freedom. And I don't take this company as stupid.

Originally posted by Agart

It managed to hold my interest for like 30 minutes. What a piece of utterly crappy crap crapness. Enough said about that. Not worth any more attention from me.

You are comparing a single player game with an MMO.

No, I am not. You read what you want to read.

60 hours is pretty good for a console/single player game.

No, it is not. Maybe for a console game, where people yet have to discover the uberness of PC's, but certainly not for a pc. 60 hrs is laughable.

A lot of console's RPGs last about 30 hours or less these days.

Read above. What you say here, proves my point. I feel sad for those who are unable to play on a PC; Console players seem to have to awful options; either have to buy crap games, or not play at all. I have PS3 myself, and I must say that console sucks big time. Only reason I bought it, was that my pc at that time were in for repair. I actually ended up playing that piece of junk Mafia Wars on Facebook instead of using my PS3... Which says more than enough.

Most of the people i know that played Dragon Age like the game.

So I understand. Bioware's games is not in my league.

The story is my favorite part of a game, so that's why i love Bioware and that's why i know SW:TOR will be an awesome game.

If you think a game is all about story, you are in for a big dissapointment when SW:TOR is released.

Don't say a game is crap because you prefer open world and playing one character at a time when the game you are bashing is all about the story, dialogues and playing multiple characters.

Do not tell me what I shall say or not. If I find a game crap, I will tell you so if I please. Live with that.

May I suggest a break from this forum or some therapy? It seem you have either:

A: Problems with other people's opinions

Or

B: Problem with freedom of speech.

Either one, such problems will make life hard and miserable for anyone if they are not solved. Just ask any psychologist about this if you think I am not telling you the truth.

Bai.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

. You are comparing a single player game with an MMO

You're expecting they will release an MMO that plays like ME2 or DA:O. Not much different than the statement you quoted.
    No, it is not. Maybe for a console game, where people yet have to discover the uberness of PC's, but certainly not for a pc. 60 hrs is laughable.
    There are reports of people getting hundreds of hours out of DA, so your point here is basically moot.
    Read above. What you say here, proves my point. I feel sad for those who are unable to play on a PC; Console players seem to have to awful options; either have to buy crap games, or not play at all. I have PS3 myself, and I must say that console sucks big time. Only reason I bought it, was that my pc at that time were in for repair. I actually ended up playing that piece of junk Mafia Wars on Facebook instead of using my PS3... Which says more than enough.
    Elitism? You realize Oblivion and Fallout 3 were on consoles, as well as older games like morrowind?
    That's not what he is saying he is saying, there are plenty of opinions that counter yours.
    The story is my favorite part of a game, so that's why i love Bioware and that's why i know SW:TOR will be an awesome game.
    If you think a game is all about story, you are in for a big dissapointment when SW:TOR is released.
    Why? Story is one of the main talking points about this game, from the developers own mouths. They've spent what normal companies spend on whole games, all to present a story as cinematic as possible.
    Do not tell me what I shall say or not. If I find a game crap, I will tell you so if I please. Live with that.
    However if I am a metal fan, what I say about country music is of no relevance to those who enjoy it. See how that works? You saying the game is "crap" really doesn't carry much weight when you're not a fan of that type of game in the first place. You weren't expected to like it, it wasn't made for your demographic.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AgartAgart Member UncommonPosts: 82

It managed to hold my interest for like 30 minutes. What a piece of utterly crappy crap crapness. Enough said about that. Not worth any more attention from me.

You are comparing a single player game with an MMO.

May I suggest a break from this forum or some therapy? It seem you have either:

A: Problems with other people's opinions

Or

B: Problem with freedom of speech.

Either one, such problems will make life hard and miserable for anyone if they are not solved. Just ask any psychologist about this if you think I am not telling you the truth.

Bai.

l never said you couldn't tell your opinion, it's ok if you don't like Dragon Age. I understand that maybe you don't like the linear gameplay of the game and there is not enough freedom. I'm in the same boat as you, i miss open world and freedom in games. Now i'm playing mostly MMO's because i can't find a single player experience that i can enjoy.

For some reason, the only single player games that i like are from Bioware.I'm playing mostly PC games too and i know they can be longer than 60h, but now most of the games are released on more than one platform and gaming is slowly becoming like movies....we get a lot of them, but most of the time, they are boring and short and they don't have the quality they should have. Bioware produces quality titles and takes the time they need to make sure the game wil be up to their standards, very few companies do that these days, so i respect Bioware a lot for that. My main language is french and i can even play their games translated in french with the voices in french too. Once again, very few companies do that.

I used to buy 3-4 games each months, now i'm lucky if i can find a game i enjoy each month. I don't have problems with other people's opinions, i was only commenting your post, maybe i just read it too fast and got it all wrong, but like the poster above me said, if you prefer heavy metal, country music will sound like crap for you, but maybe not for others. I'm not a big fan of Fallout 3, but i'm able to say that it's a great game that many people enjoy.

• camp11111camp11111 Member Posts: 602

A message to the OP. The writing is already on the wall. Here are a few observations.

1. Ok: long term playing value... Now watch Xfire stats (I don't care if it is not representative 100%, that's not the issue here).

Look at the typical graph of activity of a pure role playing game based on ... story telling: a maximum of 4 weeks played ... top. Gone. As you stated it: 60 hours worth of adventuring. And then full stop.- ... uninstall game.

The games that keep getting played are mostly based on PvP and PwP (people with people co-op modes). The story tellers are dropped 2 months after launch. COD games are still being played, even WC3 is still being played.

Reason: Co-op mode play. Little story telling here.

2. The loading screens and cinematics: you watch them once, twice and then forget about them. The same with speech. Click, click, click, seen that, done that, fire and forget. Each time you are in a video sequence you are out of the mmo world. Game breaker no doubt. AoC: who watched the same videos all over every time? No one.

3. The use of henchmen to replace tanks and healers... Talking about a game breaker in an MMO... It is so difficult to let people group up in MMO's these days. The use of NPC tanks and healers (as Bioware already communciated) will kill the last drop of multiplayer incensitive.

Blizzard needed 5 (!) years to find a system where people could group with clicking 2 buttons. The absolute pain in the ass to find people is still there for Raids .... and what will SW TOR bring ... : an automated system of henchmen to ... avoid grouping.

In the end we will see "a very rich story telling enhanced on line single player experience" where everybody wil run around with his/her own henchmen in rather very narrowed boxes of loading screens everywhere.

There is more future in a COD MMO than in the above idea of "story telling on line".

btw: mmorpg's were always about the playing with people and showing off your avatars. The damned thing is that finding these people was always too difficult in one way or another. Giving freely NPC tanks and healers to individual players will kill the mmorpg part before it begins.

Want a real mmorpg? Play WOW with experience turned off mode and be Pve_Pvp King at any level without a rat race.

Originally posted by Malickie

You're expecting they will release an MMO that plays like ME2 or DA:O. Not much different than the statement you quoted.

There are reports of people getting hundreds of hours out of DA, so your point here is basically moot.
    I got 30 minutes out of DA:O. I went through the whole conent in 60 hrs (slacking) in ME2. Laughable. If you think playing through the game with a new class is anything like "new" content, think again.

Elitism? You realize Oblivion and Fallout 3 were on consoles, as well as older games like morrowind?
    Ofc I do. Would not I play them on consoles. No. Not even if that were the only option. PC is in another league than consoles.
    That's not what he is saying he is saying, there are plenty of opinions that counter yours.
    Whatever.
    Why? Story is one of the main talking points about this game, from the developers own mouths. They've spent what normal companies spend on whole games, all to present a story as cinematic as possible.
    What to do when the story is gone through/over? How to cater the masses then?
    However if I am a metal fan, what I say about country music is of no relevance to those who enjoy it. See how that works? You saying the game is "crap" really doesn't carry much weight when you're not a fan of that type of game in the first place. You weren't expected to like it, it wasn't made for your demographic.

How on earth could I know that Bioware's games sucked that much when I had never played any game from them before? What I did do though, was reading the reviews and talking to a few friends who played/had played it. I did my research, I thought I was buying some quality. Well, I did not. It was not worth the money.

I can at least admit now that I have learnt my lesson now when it comes to Biowares games.

Let me add that I have played Baldur Gates & NWN1 & 2 as well. I really thought them games from Bioware had improved since then with their awful 2D games. They had not. I was not much fan of them back then, and I am certainly not that now. It seems like legacy from Bioware to make crap games.

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835

Bioware games feel exactly the same to me as they do the original poster. They have these beautiful looking worlds that you cannot touch. All you can do in their games is walk in an invisible tube from one quest giver to the next. To me, that is boring. There is no walking off the path and exploring. You only go where they want you to go to see the next video. It's more like controlling the pace of a movie than it is a game to me.

I won't claim to know if TOR will be good or bad. All I can say based off of their past I personally won't like it. Doesn't mean it'll be a bad game. It's really the first anything, with the name Star Wars on it that I am not excited for. We'll see when it comes out tho. I personally have no idea what BioWare is even making.

l never said you couldn't tell your opinion, it's ok if you don't like Dragon Age. I understand that maybe you don't like the linear gameplay of the game and there is not enough freedom. I'm in the same boat as you, i miss open world and freedom in games. Now i'm playing mostly MMO's because i can't find a single player experience that i can enjoy.

For some reason, the only single player games that i like are from Bioware.I'm playing mostly PC games too and i know they can be longer than 60h, but now most of the games are released on more than one platform and gaming is slowly becoming like movies....we get a lot of them, but most of the time, they are boring and short and they don't have the quality they should have. Bioware produces quality titles and takes the time they need to make sure the game wil be up to their standards, very few companies do that these days, so i respect Bioware a lot for that. My main language is french and i can even play their games translated in french with the voices in french too. Once again, very few companies do that.

I used to buy 3-4 games each months, now i'm lucky if i can find a game i enjoy each month. I don't have problems with other people's opinions, i was only commenting your post, maybe i just read it too fast and got it all wrong, but like the poster above me said, if you prefer heavy metal, country music will sound like crap for you, but maybe not for others. I'm not a big fan of Fallout 3, but i'm able to say that it's a great game that many people enjoy.

Maybe we are more similar after all then?

I am no fan of making threads where I discuss what 'other' like or dislikes. My type of threads are mostly about my personal views. I could really care less if people have problem with that. Actually, I do care. Cause it amuses me alot when people freaks out when I express my feelings. I like it. Alot. What do makes me angry, is when people tell me what to say or not. It is not acceptable from my point of view. That is something you would expect in those countries where the sand blows in your eyes, not in the civilized part of the world, and especially not france ;)

Take care! I wish you luck in the hunt for a new game.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Drakynn

I have to say from reading posts here for a couple years it seems that a lot of people on these forums have fallen into a kind of Darwinian niche of gaming.They can only enjoy a very narrow selection of games.Now I'm a gamer and have been for decades I first got bitten by the gaming bug in a Rollerskating rink with a Space Invaders machine back in the day.I enjoy all types of games as long as they are good,well made games.

To that effect I enjoyed Oblivion,Fallout 3 as well as Mass Effect 1/2 and DA:O.I suspect most gamers still believe "variety is the spice of life." whilst the minority view presented loudly in these forums is one of "THERE IS ONLY ONE  SPICE ALL OTHE SPICES ARE A LIE!!!!!!"

Yup.

Posters here forget that they are in the extreme minority when it comes to gamers, both console and PC. Gamers that frequent gaming forums are probably what most would call "obsessive" about their hobby. We eat, dream, and sleep games. One game or another is usually the first thing on our minds when we wake up, even if we have to go to work FIRST before getting to "indulge" our game craving. I wager many of us are the "alcoholics" of gaming. We're "gameoholics." Not that that's a bad thing. It certainly has less of a potential for fatality. (Unless you're NAME happens to be Fatal1ty....heh.)

Anywhooo.....

Some of us like a rather broad selection of genres, others don't. But I totally see what you're saying about that single focused genre thing. Of course, that WAS (and sort of IS) encouraged by the mere fact that we're posting on forums on MMORPG.com. And even within that ONE genre, it seems people have very set ideas on what is the "right spice." lol  I'm guilty of that too, to a degree, at least when it comes to preferences in the MMO genre. BUT....I'm not sure why people see their preferences as the only way it should be. I think there should be all kinds of games for every gaming personality, and it's never really made sense to me why we all argue so heatedly about our own favorites being the "best," but....we do.

I have really enjoyed every Bioware game that I have played. I am loving the HELL outta DA:O right now, too.  And yet....I'm not sure I'll even buy ToR.  I'm not a huge space fan.  I had NO interest in STO, I didn't last more than a few months in EVE, even though I enjoyed the challenge and learning the game...I just don't much care for outer space games....blah.  Playing games in space....just does nothing for me.  To me....space is boring. But that doesn't mean all space games suck. They just suck...FOR ME. I'm not sure why the concept of "we're ALL different" is so difficult to "get" around here. I think we ignore that fact, because if we just accepted it...we'd have nothing to argue about here anymore. lol ;)

/shrug

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Originally posted by camp11111

A message to the OP. The writing is already on the wall. Here are a few observations.
    1. Ok: long term playing value... Now watch Xfire stats (I don't care if it is not representative 100%, that's not the issue here).
    Look at the typical graph of activity of a pure role playing game based on ... story telling: a maximum of 4 weeks played ... top. Gone. As you stated it: 60 hours worth of adventuring. And then full stop.- ... uninstall game.
    The games that keep getting played are mostly based on PvP and PwP (people with people co-op modes). The story tellers are dropped 2 months after launch. COD games are still being played, even WC3 is still being played.
    Reason: Co-op mode play. Little story telling here.
    2. The loading screens and cinematics: you watch them once, twice and then forget about them. The same with speech. Click, click, click, seen that, done that, fire and forget. Each time you are in a video sequence you are out of the mmo world. Game breaker no doubt. AoC: who watched the same videos all over every time? No one.
    3. The use of henchmen to replace tanks and healers... Talking about a game breaker in an MMO... It is so difficult to let people group up in MMO's these days. The use of NPC tanks and healers (as Bioware already communciated) will kill the last drop of multiplayer incensitive.
    Blizzard needed 5 (!) years to find a system where people could group with clicking 2 buttons. The absolute pain in the ass to find people is still there for Raids .... and what will SW TOR bring ... : an automated system of henchmen to ... avoid grouping.
    In the end we will see "a very rich story telling enhanced on line single player experience" where everybody wil run around with his/her own henchmen in rather very narrowed boxes of loading screens everywhere.
    There is more future in a COD MMO than in the above idea of "story telling on line".
    btw: mmorpg's were always about the playing with people and showing off your avatars. The damned thing is that finding these people was always too difficult in one way or another. Giving freely NPC tanks and healers to individual players will kill the mmorpg part before it begins.

Me & my son were playing until early this morning, and even at 4am we had invitations to team doing instances. Talking World of Warcraft. This was actually my first session in WoW for almost a year, and I must say I really did this new 'Dungeon finder' system they have implemented. It is much better than the Skirmishes in LOTRO which I liked alot too.

Peace out & off to work!

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

......clipped.......

I can at least admit now that I have learnt my lesson now when it comes to Biowares games.

Let me add that I have played Baldur Gates & NWN1 & 2 as well. I really thought them games from Bioware had improved since then with their awful 2D games. They had not. I was not much fan of them back then, and I am certainly not that now. It seems like legacy from Bioware to make crap games.

No, the legacy from Bioware to YOU is that they are "crap games" for YOU. You're not the only gamer on the planet.  Why can't people phrase things around here as OPINIONS instead of facts?  Your above statement would be without argument if you simply said, "To me, Bioware games suck."  Instead...you say they make crap games as if it was an inarguable FACT. 

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Malickie

Then what are you saying? What I got from your text was you expect the game to be like those.
    I got 30 minutes out of DA:O. I went through the whole conent in 60 hrs (slacking) in ME2. Laughable. If you think playing through the game with a new class is anything like "new" content, think again.
    I can't comment on ME2, I never even finished ME1 didn't really get into it. The content in DA;O can change depending on your decisions, warranting a second or even a third play through, That's not including the fact things change depending on your race/class selection.
    That's also not including the multitude of side quests available during your play through.

Ofc I do. Would not I play them on consoles. No. Not even if that were the only option. PC is in another league than consoles.
    The only thing that  truly separates the console ports from the PC is that they don't have modding capability. Which is why I prefer it on PC as well.

Whatever.

What to do when the story is gone through/over? How to cater the masses then?
    Well I have no crystal ball, so I'll answer in the next best way, that's why they say they are including everything else you expect from an MMO.

How on earth could I know that Bioware's games sucked that much when I had never played any game from them before? What I did do though, was reading the reviews and talking to a few friends who played/had played it. I did my research, I thought I was buying some quality. Well, I did not. It was not worth the money.
    Watch your friends play? Watch videos? Do what everyone else does when researching a game? You say that you did, yet had no clue what to expect? How is that possible?
    Were you expecting an Oblivion style sandbox? Did you expect game play similar to BG or NWN? I can't say what you were thinking going in, but I have no clue how you could have gotten an impression they weren't the type of games they are, that information is every where.
    I can't agree you didn't get your moneys worth, you just didn't like what you paid for, there is a difference. With the former you would have been scammed or ripped off, that's not the case at all. There's plenty of bang for your buck within those two games, you just didn't like the type of bang they are offering. That's fine, but leave it at that. Going off on a tangent making out that Bioware is not a reputable company is taking things overboard.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Originally posted by girlgeek

......clipped.......

No, the legacy from Bioware to YOU is that they are "crap games" for YOU. You're not the only gamer on the planet.  Why can't people phrase things around here as OPINIONS instead of facts?  Your above statement would be without argument if you simply said, "To me, Bioware games suck."  Instead...you say they make crap games as if it was an inarguable FACT. 

Damn right. Thats why I don't go to the WoW forums to bash the game even though I hate it with a passion. Because I'm perfectly willing to accept that there are people who disagree so I stay away from their crap. They can go have fun there if they want, I don't care. 

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

I can't believe this post has gonna 20 pages now, but your opinion smells the same as mine.

Personally I love the Mass Effect series, and there are only a couple things I didn't like in ME2 (scanning ugh).

I'm a fan of BSG, Star Wars (all 6), Matrix, Star Trek TNG when I was a kid; basically I'm a sci-fi fan.  ME has surpassed my expectations for a SINGLE player game and there were a few things in ME2 that got me drooling for how they will merge some of the same mechanics into TOR.

Will it be a sandbox like SWG, no way I highly doubt it.  But I'm completely certain I will have a blast playing TOR when it comes out.  And this is from a day 1 vet of SWG up to a day 1 NGE canceler.  I loved the mechanics in SWG back in the day even with all the flaws, but I'm also really excited to play TOR.  I haven't been an avid MMO player since I canceled SWG, sure had my months in WOW but just couldn't hold my interest for very long, so I would go through the cycle of cancel, 6 mo go by, sub, 2 mo go by, cancel......

I can't wait for ME3 and I can't wait for TOR and ME2 has sparked my interest even more, that's my smelly opinion.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by Thillian

Among the still existing ones:

CD Project - The Witcher
    Piranha Bytes - Gothic 1, 2, Risen
    Radon Labs - Drakensang
    Larian Studios - Divine Divinity, Divinity II

Among the dead ones:

Interplay (Black Isle - left for Troika later) - Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 1, Fallout 1&2
    Troika Games - Vampire the Bloodlines, Arcanum, Greyhawk
    SSI - Eye of Beholder series
    3d0 - Might and Magic series
    Sir-Tech - Wizardry series

And sure a lot more I can't think of now, that I would consider to be better than Bioware or Bethesda.

I personally didn't enjoy any of those games as much as any of the Bioware games. I guess the only one in the list that I did really enjoy was Baldur's Gate... which was made by Bioware btw.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

A week ago I went into a shop and came out with both Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age. I was extremely hyped about the ME2 though, after reading a review. I only had mediocre expectations about Dragon Age though, as the way Bioware handles the playing of multiple characters doesnt appeal me much.
    Well at home, I installed both games, and started out with ME2. I will try to tell you my scepticism about the upcoming SW-TOR by playing ME2.
    First of all I must say I am true fan of The Elder Scroll series. That is the way any RPG/MMO should be made. For me. I dont like any game to be focused around multiple characters, even though I really like how LOTRO has handled the skirmishes with multiple characters.
    The one thing that struck me immediately when playing ME2, was how "closed" it was. I really felt like being in a way too small rubber jacket. This was giving me the feeling as being as far from a "sandbox" as it could be. Will the MMO's be the same? Hard to say, but still, Dragon Age is build up quite similar, so I am sceptic here. This has turned my hype about upcoming SW-TOR alot, even though I would like to see Bioware and their MMO's on top above WoW.
    The next thing that hit me, was the way too simple character developing. really, can you even call it a character developing? Handfull of skills, increasable in only 4 tiers? Laughable at best. If Bioware wants to show some muscles on the MMO marked, shouldnt they start with what they can first? Not impressed at that part either.
    When it comes to the movement and control/feeling of the Avatar, I would say this was below average.  Lightyears from how tight the toons feel in WoW though. And way below how a decent RPG/game should be today.
    Another concern, dunno if that is appropriate to compare with the MMO genre, was how short ME2 was; I went through it in around 60hrs, reading everything, visiting/depleting every planet. This was including all the cinematic sequences which is prolly 30% of total gaming time. Do I need say this game is ridicolously small? This shocked me. Hype dropped alot.
    Last and biggest concern, was how little "free" I felt. It was like someone was holding my hand all the way. No real danger of messing things up. Most "themepark" feeling I ever had in any serious RPG/MMO game. This is a really bad sign if you ask me. The whole concept felt immature; it was like being around 14 year old kids who just had learnt their first curse words.
    Conclusion: I am no prophet, but I said it about STO; it will fail, and it did. Even more than I foresaw. I say it again; SW-TOR will fail.
    Regarding SW-TOR; I hope it will be a success, but judging from their RPG's I fear my prophecy will become reality. What I am sure about though; it will never challenge WoW and it's subscribers. I sincerely wish I could say something else, but there are no evidence that points in any other direction as far I can see it.
    Right now I have my faith in FunCom's upcoming 'The Secret World'. Hopefully they can get it right this time.
    [Mod Edit]

My Edit:
    Gotit. This thread was moved into SW:TOR forum.
    -Chris

Cant really compare a single player game with a mmo. And for it to be a success for the mmo community it takes alot of work and after that alot of players playing it.

I like Mass Effect 2, its a really good game. Havent tried Dragon Age. But I do know that Bioware is very good when it comes to RPG. I just hope they make a really good job with SWTOR and I am really looking forward to it. The company Bioware is very good at what they do, I just hope they take alot of things in consideration when they are making a mmo insted of a single player RPG.

I will sure try it out SWTOR, since I am a star wars geek its perfect. But I try and not have too much expectations about the game since I know I will always be let down, like most games tend to do when you wait for them for a 1 year or more.

• ayanelayanel Member Posts: 150

ME 2 is a great game.  But you are right it is not sandbox, if you are looking for sandboxes Bioware is not your company.

I'm still on the fence about SW:TOR.  I'm fairly burned out on the setting but I like Bioware.

Edit:  Now if they ever make Mass Effect online I'll buy it sight unseen!

......clipped.......

Why do you care so much about what I say? I am allowed to say almost whatever I like here, and if I want to, I will. It is far from only me who thinks the games from Bioware is worthless.

It is a real mystery to me that these games are still so popular from Bioware. Even back when they released their Baldur Gate and such, their 2D games, I found them boring & obsolote, due to the 2D. Now I get the 'exact' same feeling when I played Dragon Age, a bit better feeling when I played Mass Effect 2. I really felt I was going bacwards in time when it came to many other games. Especially Dragon Age felt like a 5-10 year old game.

• TyrokiTyroki Member UncommonPosts: 183

I will begin this post by saying: I have not read through the entire thread. Reading 20 pages of arguments and so called

discussion does not appeal to me. I would like to target something that the OP said. Whether it has already been written here

is irrelevant.

Mass Effect 2. You finished it in 60 hours, yet consider it short? Really? REALLY? Can you honestly say that just less than

3 days straight (Which is how much that 60 hours amounts to. Whether or not you actually played for just less than 3 days

straight is irrelevant) is short? A majority of singleplayer games these days can be completed in less than 10 hours. Less

than 10. Even RPG's can be finished within at least 30. 60 hours is rather good. Sure, it isn't 80+ hours as many older games

would give us, but come now. Mass Effect 2 looked good, was fun, and lasted 60 hours for you. SIXTY. Don't down on a game

just because it didn't take you 80+ to beat it. So long as it takes more than 20 hours and is enjoyable for most, if not all of the

way through the game, then there is no problem there.

Though I am in the same bought as you with Dragon Age, OP. I found it got boring quickly. I miss Baldurs Gate 2.

MMO's played: Ragnarok Online (For years), WoW (for a few weeks only), Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Eve, Allods, Shattered Galaxy, 9 Dragons, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Star Trek Online (Got someone ELSE to pay for it), Champions Online (Someone else paid), Dofus, Dragonica, LOTRO, DDO and more... A LOT more. I've played good AND bad. The bad didn't last long. :P

Originally posted by Drachasor

It is a real mystery to me that these games are still so popular from Bioware.

I'm sorry, but you think it is a mystery that there are people out there with different tastes in games than you?  The FACT that Bioware is one of the most respected RPG makers on the market doesn't, even for a moment, make you think otherwise?

Please read again. You are only twisting & turning on my words. It is quite obvious that YOU have huge problems with people that does not like Bioware's games.

I care less how much Bioware is 'respected'. Their games are sub-par. Their games have certainly not had much evolution, other than upgraded the graphics. It is like you get less content from their games now, than you used to before. But, if you like it, go ahead. Not my problem. Beside it is far from Bioware's RPG's that is the topic here.

The whole point of this thread was that I wanted to tell you about my scepticism for the upcoming SW-TOR release. Right now, I really wishthe whole SW-TOR went straight into the toilet, cause when I see as many *censored* fanbois here, it makes me think why tell hell some of you even got the nerve to trash talk the best game there is; World of Warcraft.

Oh, I get it; you Bioware fanbois are sooo much better and civilized than them. Yeah right. How ironic. This forum contains no higher quality than the worst forums I ever been into. And no. WoW is far from that. People like you certainly doesn't deserve anything other than roam these forums, frustrated about everything, hating WoW. Without any MMO to enjoy. Quite unlike me.

Enjoy your hell. SW-TOR will fail. I predicted fail for STO; it became epic fail worthy a place in Guiness book of records. I predict a fail for SW-TOR. Hopefully it becomes epic too, beating the STO failure for another place in Guiness.

I will now let this thread die, casue some of the posts here disgusts me. This thread has really become way too low for me to bother with. Heres a few bright ones, but in general, posts here smell.

Veni

Vidi

Vici

Ktxhbai

• ChirugaiChirugai Member UncommonPosts: 304

Please stay on topic and refrain from personal attacks. 

Fortune favours the bold.