Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One gamers two cents. Not meant to be negitive.

Kram59Kram59 Member Posts: 153

I know people don't want to hear this. But keep in mind, as I write this it also makes me sad. I think online gaming is over. I beta tested the first online game that started it all. Then having sat for a few hours hitting the log on key to enter the world of Everquest my real life was slowly drained from me. (by choice and glee I might add) Then playing three computers at the same time to hold the "Fin" camp with my own group in Camelot was when my online gaming peaked. It has finally hit me. The reason (and it bugged me for a long time as I could never put my finger on it) The freshness, naivety, the bonding, the comradely, the going through "new" experiences with others as they also emerged into a new world, was fun exciting fresh. That can only happen once. We've been through it. It's gone. You can only be a noob, once. Now no one will know the frustration and rewarding experience of "putting" together a group based solely on class, and level. All classes and all levels have been blended into all encompassing characters. It's no ones fault, it just evolved this way. This is not a rain on anyone's parade, nor a negative statement, but merely an observation. Not meant to belittle or demean anyone or anything. Just one gamers two cents.

Remeber, Game till you bleed.  Have a groovy day! (I am a old dude)

King of the world

Comments

• quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 125

i know what you mean dude...but are you saying online gaming is over for you or everybody? i dont think its over for everybody....

• Sirocc0Sirocc0 Member Posts: 7

Agreed, online gaming is certainly not dead by any definition of the word.

Stradden recently posted an article talking about what the OP says though, that gaming may well and truly be over for the old school gamers, from AAA development studios. But there will always be the indie devs who cater to that market.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I think the first onlineg ames that started it all was probably a MUD of some sort, since they are multiplayer online roleplaying games and existed before Everquest. I also think that the feeling of doing something "new" or beeing bored of new games thinking they're all the same or something like that, is mostly a personal thing. I remember when I played an MMORPG for the first time and thought the world of beeing huge and stuff to explore for years to come. When I now check out an MMORPG I just have to glimpse on the map and know where the invisible borders are. But as said, that's a personal experience and not that directly related to the games in general.

And saying that all characters are now all-encompassing... you know that depends solely on the game. In some game that's true, in others it's not.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• ZyonneZyonne Member Posts: 259

I agree with some of what you are saying. It takes a lot more for me to get absorbed in an MMO, or any game for that matter, now than 10 years ago. That said, I've gotten the newbie feeling (the good kind) several times over the years. When I started playing MUDs around 1994. When I tried Ultima Online around 2001. When I tried Anarchy Online around 2003. When I tried EVE in 2007 and when I tried Darkfall in 2009. That's a 15 year spread, and while there's been dozens of MMO's I've tried, and a handful I've stuck with in between, at least it proves that for some people the "new and fresh" feeling can come more than once.

That's not to say I'm happy with the trends in the MMO market, but a lot of those that develop games now have similar gaming backgrounds as me, and want to make games they'd like to play themselves. A few work for companies that allow them to do so, so there will be new games released that have "old-school gamers" as their target audience. We just have to accept we're a niche now, and not expect to find gems in the mass market.

Of course, some is in the player's head. If you've burnt out on MMOs, there's nothing much to do about that except move on. Also the average player has changed, not just the games, but if you stick to niche games that fit your preferences you are more likely to find like-minded people to play with.

• Kram59Kram59 Member Posts: 153

Thanks for pointing out to me, I really didn't make myself clear on that point. I meant online gaming as it was, and through "my" eyes is not dead, but gone. Online gaming will never go away. I was just walking down memory lane and spewing out some personal thoughts.

Just sharing with fellow gamers that might feel the same way as me. (You have to be pretty old to have started on the Comodor 64)  lol

I didn't mean to give the impression Everquest was the first online game. The game I beta tested was Meridian59 and came out long before Everquest. I was known as "Scoop"  on Meridian had me hooked from day one. I have almost played every online game (or at least tryed) Currently still play Eve. I'm not even sure why. It's just curiusly addicting to me. Just finished Dragon age and now waiting for Mass Effect to arive from Amazon. :)

Everyone have a great gaming day, and see yu on the flip side.

King of the world

• SikgamerSikgamer Member Posts: 77

Eve is fun from my standpoint because of the amount of balance that's in the game. There is no 'super mega op ship' or 'god-like player' because the ships are all balanced for a specific job, and balanced well. The only problem with that is it pushes away PvP newbies because you need a top-of-the-line fitting to defeat most people in the same ship.

One thing I also like is the game depends a lot on community. It's very hard to PK successfully alone (sure you can be a sniper or a can-flipper, but it won't be long until a fleet of players jumps through and takes you down). Even the biggest fleets rely on the smallest ships, for intercepting targets, holding them down, preventing them warping, while the big guns dish out damage. Its a perfect balance which makes Eve fun for me.

Unique upcoming indie space-based mining and combat game - Miner Wars.
    http://www.minerwars.com/?aid=191

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

OP!i agree with you completelly ,static mmo we had since 3D gaming began is dead.

whats the future for mmo or mo?only onr i saw here on the forum so far ,its called dynamic mo or mmo.

saw a guy here speak the bits he saw so far  andlet me tell you if what he wrote here pan out ,im sorry to say we ll be in the desert a while in term of mo or mmo because wrapping our head on that concept of dynamic game is challenging even for the most brainiac of us,it means getting rid of script and doing like nature has been doing for a lot time

putting rule in place and leting  natural selecting take place ,some kids have been killed because of this selection in the past

(bastared of the king ,or queen or both!a lot of war have errupted because of natural selection

someone didnt like the other because of a chemical ,some we love because of a chemical(feromone)

men if you check around and start to analyse things you become aware of one thing.what ever you think you chose

in the end there was always other factor that made the choice for you

its a new concept to me and lot of people i know but if we use this in mmo or mo ,it simplify the decision making process byt 1 million.why?because it means the game maker dont script and decide ,in the end in the dynamic mo or mmo

you wouldnt need to put a faction ,there would be a neutral faction regardless of  the maker decision

the only thing the maker would have to make sure is to have a automatic system that say when you arive to a new path not covered by the game maker ,coming soon,

with warning going directly to the mmo make server saying there is a new event happening and they ll have to do an expension there etc.dynamic mmo is a bit endeavor

take the file system

we had 8 bit ,then 16 bit then 32 bit then 64 bit

so if you calculate the possible amount of  possible selection of say a male and a female you will end up with lot of possibilitys be it male and female and the player just could not select being a male or a feamle the natural selection would chose according to his parent

64 x 64 at 64 i cant event put it on a calculator the number are too big that would be just for charactor selection

the odds that you would meet a toon exactly like you are close to non!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/269637/Dynamic-World-How-do-you.html   

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Ha ha your DaoC comment made me laugh. I remember me and my room mate at the time had 3 computers each running a DAoC account.

In that room we didnt even have to turn the heat on with so many boxes going.

DAoC was my 1st MMO and the times I had in that game will never be experienced by me again. I agree that you can only be a noob once and that feeling is long long gone for me also.

Kind of miss those times every now and again lol =)