Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New article

razerblade29razerblade29 Member UncommonPosts: 230

Heres a new article with Ragnar Tornquist.

www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4272/a_little_piece_of_hell_building_.php

It kinda confirms that it wont be a single server. And that they plan to drastically change the world depending on what players do, hope it works out.

Edit: Fixed

Comments

• rygar218rygar218 Member UncommonPosts: 332

Link doesn't work..... At least for me

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
  • RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

"A lot of people are wondering how they can feel like you're actually traveling around the world if you have London, and then you have New York, and then...       We have a brilliant solution."

----

"RT: We're doing something really cool that we're not revealing yet. Have you read The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan?"

Seems they're going for that "dimensional door"- thingy they had in The Wheel of Time. You  know, the place where you could get from A to B much faster, and could also accidentially be eaten by a living, black mist(?) (or lose your sanity, whichever it was). Anyone remember it better than me?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Remains

"A lot of people are wondering how they can feel like you're actually traveling around the world if you have London, and then you have New York, and then...       We have a brilliant solution."
    ----
    "RT: We're doing something really cool that we're not revealing yet. Have you read The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan?"

Seems they're going for that "dimensional door"- thingy they had in The Wheel of Time. You  know, the place where you could get from A to B much faster, and could also accidentially be eaten by a living, black mist(?) (or lose your sanity, whichever it was). Anyone remember it better than me?

"The Ways".

They would go from one Ogier Grove to another. But they were tainted so they are very dangerous to use. Also, one could fall off and into the darkness forever if one isn't careful.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Ragnar might also have meant something called the World of Dreams from the Wheel of Time series.   It was a dream world that was a reflection of the real world.    You could simply appear at different places if you had the ability and could control your dreams well enough.    

Perhaps characters will go to dream versions of New York and engage in battles against monsters without the rest of the world being aware of it.    There would have to be physical consequences to give it some threat, or perhaps you physically enter the dream world (which happens in the Wheel of Time)   It also goes along with the concepts seen in Neil Gaiman's Sandman known as the Dreaming.

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

I haven't read far enough into the Wheel of Time series to know about the World of Dreams, but that sounds about right.  While  "The Ways" would be really cool and provide a dark element, I don't see them fitting.  Remember, while the Ways were much faster they too also took some time to travel.  Instead of a week's travel you may be able to do it in one day.

Ragnar's other games, The Longest Journey series was about dreamworld traveling.  Also, if you read on the official forums or played any of the earlier puzzles then you would remember about the ley lines and the Aborginal "dreamtime."  The Aborigines believe in something called songlines. 

"By singing the songs in the appropriate sequence, Indigenous people could navigate vast distances, often travelling through the deserts of Australia's interior."   en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songlines

All of these points to the same thing used as travel for The Secret World.  How exactly they implement it is yet to be seen.  Are there two worlds?  Do you walk around in the day time world and get quests.   Then when you are ready to jump on a mission you go to your apartment, go to sleep, and get teleported to a dream version of some real city?  Maybe your faction leaders teach you the "songs" to travel to your first destination, and then you learn the rest.  Songs could just be incantations you write in a journal and click to access, who knows.  Will be interesting to see how they do it in-game.

Edit:

I kinda like the idea of songlines.  You have to find the right leyline to connect you to another point.  Then you have to recite some incantation in the correct order to go exactly where you want to go.  After that, you see the world flash by your character really fast.  The oceans move under your feet, buildings and mountians go flying past you at insane speeds and bam you are at your next location.  Your character seems to stand still the entire time.  The ground slowly moves at first and then gets faster and faster until everything is a blur.  Or maybe the songlines transport you into a dream realm.  No idea.  I just know leylines have been used in puzzles and Ragnar likes the dream world.

• TheSaint08DTheSaint08D Member Posts: 2

Actually I DL'd the Illuminatti pack from the game and the wallpaper has a freestanding door in the middle of a warehouse so Im going with the door theory