Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Global Agenda not supporting multi display

A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

Not sure if you guys already knew this, but might as well post this here:

LINK

In short: Global Agenda/ Hi Rez Studios don't support the use of multi displays, due to "unfair advantage". Just in case someone was hoping on using more than one display. 

Meh, personally I'm bit disappointed since I'm kinda used on multiple displays. But it's okay, I'm sure it's a great game even with one display.

Comments

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

I can see how multidisplay cheaters would be disappointed by this.

• gFizgFiz Member Posts: 153

Kyle (the guy who runs [H]) loves to make a scene and flaunt his self perceived power.  Truth be told, he's changed so much in the last 10 years, he's now a detriment to his own website, and it's the established forum and it's users that bring traffic to the site, and he's even slowly losing those key members which make the site what it is.  Kyle probably knows this but would never admit it, but if he disappeared for a year from the site, no one would know the difference.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Mortemia

Not sure if you guys already knew this, but might as well post this here:
    LINK

In short: Global Agenda/ Hi Rez Studios don't support the use of multi displays, due to "unfair advantage". Just in case someone was hoping on using more than one display. 
    Meh, personally I'm bit disappointed since I'm kinda used on multiple displays. But it's okay, I'm sure it's a great game even with one display.

Good and bad.  First of all, I should have stopped reading after it was an article telling people NOT to buy a game based on something this stupid.  Second, I should have stopped reading after the first paragraph explained that GA is a first person shooter when it's actually a third person shooter.  Look, Multiple display setups actually are too advantageous.  Now, I don't really think they should be locked out... but I certainly wouldn't go around telling people to avoid a game simply because of it.  The difference between single display and multiple displays is that you can see a a LOT more.  With three monitors, you see nearly three times as much than one monitor does.  I didn't even get half way through the article since the writer asked if GA would prevent people from playing because they have a better mouse than someone else.  Apples to oranges and the whole idea of the article is childish.  I have to question the intelligence and maturity of the writer. 

Again, I'm not saying I approve of Hi-Rez locking this technology out.  But they do have a point when they say it's too much of an advantage.  I don't think they should punish people for having the money to have that kind of setup though.  I just don't agree with how the article is done.

• hellshankshellshanks Member Posts: 144

In my opinion, that was a huge over-reaction for a small company on their first go-around not doing something so small for a larger company. 

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by gFiz

Kyle (the guy who runs [H]) loves to make a scene and flaunt his self perceived power.  Truth be told, he's changed so much in the last 10 years, he's now a detriment to his own website, and it's the established forum and it's users that bring traffic to the site, and he's even slowly losing those key members which make the site what it is.  Kyle probably knows this but would never admit it, but if he disappeared for a year from the site, no one would know the difference.

id have to disagree with you on that one and keep in mind.  i say that as a user that kyle personally banned from hardform 2 years ago.

kyle is dead on about this one.  eyefinity just means a higher rez image.  thats all.  it spans it across multiple monitors because you simply cant buy a monitor of that rez today.

i think its better kyle calls them out on that and i think its the responsible thing to do.  saying "eyefinity gives users an unfair advantage" is a load of crap.  will i be banned if i get fiber optic to the home and have an "unfair ping"?  will i be banned because get a mouse with 5k dpi giving me an 'unfair mousing advantage"?

i love to hate on kyle too believe me.  ive had massive disagreements with him.  but ive also agreed with him on a lot of topics as well.  id say its 50/50.  hes passionate his technology and furthermore.  hardocp is "the kyle site".  without kyle there is no hardocp.  thats the way its always been and ive been reading that site since the 90's when i got my first rendition verite video card.

so yeah, i gotta go with kyle on this one.  dont buy global agenda.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• gFizgFiz Member Posts: 153

well that's where we'll disagree.  Kyle was awesome 10 years ago, trying to get the most out of 233mhz P2's and was really a member of the overclocking community.  Tech enthusiasts flocked to his site, built up a forum community of some of the most knowledgeable and extreme over-clockers.  The forum was/is the site. Everything else is just window dressing.

Over time, Kyle's arrogance started to take hold, he's forgotten why his site is popular, and basically pissed on any and all the members of his site over time that didn't agree with him.  His forums have lost 90% of the members that made it what it was, and now it's full of newbs who have a false idea of what [H] is based on it's previous reputation that they've heard about.  Kyle's actual tech level is ridiculously low, has pretty much no idea what the hell he's talking about, and more or less using the traffic of his site to get himself in conversations with other companies that otherwise would have nothing to do with him, and no doubt laugh at him once he's left.  Eventually it will catch up to him.

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

C'mon man. Telling people not to buy a game produced by an indie company that's getting mostly VERY positive reviews simply because they don't cater to an extremely small percentage of gamers out there? That's beyond retarded.

Some people have argued that the type of multi-screen he's talking about doesn't give an unfair advantage, and I gotta tell you: they're lying. End of story. Go look at the Matrox Triple-Head-To-Go. It outright brags about the fact that you'll have a huge increase in your peripheral vision while gaming. That's an unfair advantage in ANY competitive game.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• EtraEtra Member UncommonPosts: 164

It gives you an unfair advantage. It widens your plane of view.

Enough of this story and the nubcake vomiting up fails.

Originally posted by TheMaelstrom

C'mon man. Telling people not to buy a game produced by an indie company that's getting mostly VERY positive reviews simply because they don't cater to an extremely small percentage of gamers out there? That's beyond retarded.
    Some people have argued that the type of multi-screen he's talking about doesn't give an unfair advantage, and I gotta tell you: they're lying. End of story. Go look at the Matrox Triple-Head-To-Go. It outright brags about the fact that you'll have a huge increase in your peripheral vision while gaming. That's an unfair advantage in ANY competitive game.

I told my friend about this and his response was: Who the hell would use it for gaming. (He is a graphic designer and editor, plays tons of games, has a very nice computer.)

Originally posted by Etra

so if i buy a 2560 x 1600 30" monitor should i be banned?  cause thats the same thing as running 3 19" in eyefinity.  THATS why them saying it gives an unfair advantage is beyond stupidity.

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

Originally posted by cerebrix

so if i buy a 2560 x 1600 30" monitor should i be banned?  cause thats the same thing as running 3 19" in eyefinity.  THATS why them saying it gives an unfair advantage is beyond stupidity

Banned, no. You'll have to run it on a lower rez. Hell, maybe you wont. Maybe you should try it before being a worthless, pathetic troll. 

listen buddy

nothing says "i dont know how to formulate an argument nor do i have any remote clue on how to debate" quite like calling someone a troll because they disagree with you.

learn to research, THINK and defend your position.

and stop being so friggin weak as having to resort to name calling when you have absolutely nothing left to contribute to the conversation.

bunch of little girls the internet has become.  maybe thats why pedobear keeps showing up

*shakes head*

so if i buy a 2560 x 1600 30" monitor should i be banned?  cause thats the same thing as running 3 19" in eyefinity.  THATS why them saying it gives an unfair advantage is beyond stupidity.

As for your post above, chastising Hellshanks, I agree.

Back on topic...

I believe the quoted argument above is an exaggeration on your part. If I understand the comment made by HiRez about the Eyefinity set-up (and I think I do understand it), their argument is not against native resolutions on today's current monitors. Their argument is against software and/or hardware that will increase your resolution beyond what is native to a single monitor.

And, again, I agree with that stance. If you can afford a 30" monitor that supports a wider screen resolution than my 22" monitor, more power to you. But if you're going to use 3x22" monitors to expand your field of view well beyond what is intended by the developers, then don't be surprised and cry foul when the developers reign you in.

I should also state that the reason I agree with HiRez on this is because GA is a competitive game. If it were just "Random MMO TwizzleFuzz" and it wasn't about Conquest / competitive gaming, I'd be fine with Eyefinity.

-Glen Cook

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

Back on topic...

I believe the quoted argument above is an exaggeration on your part. If I understand the comment made by HiRez about the Eyefinity set-up (and I think I do understand it), their argument is not against native resolutions on today's current monitors. Their argument is against software and/or hardware that will increase your resolution beyond what is native to a single monitor.

And, again, I agree with that stance. If you can afford a 30" monitor that supports a wider screen resolution than my 22" monitor, more power to you. But if you're going to use 3x22" monitors to expand your field of view well beyond what is intended by the developers, then don't be surprised and cry foul when the developers reign you in.

I should also state that the reason I agree with HiRez on this is because GA is a competitive game. If it were just "Random MMO TwizzleFuzz" and it wasn't about Conquest / competitive gaming, I'd be fine with Eyefinity.

Have you ever played an FPS using 3x22/24/19" monitors? I'm pretty damn sure I'd kick your ass at Global Agenda (https://account.globalagendagame.com/GAregister/stats/characterstats.aspx?c=48684&p=97899), Counter-Strike, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike:Source, CoD: MW2, Quake3, UT, UT2k4, UT3, and TF Classic. The only game I'd lose at, is Half Life Deathmatch and L4D series because I don't play those games like a religion.

What I'll tell you right now is the only advantage of having a massive 3 monitor setup compared to 1 is the fact that you see your death coming at you before it happens. END OF STORY. I'm not the only person who has said this and it wasn't me who realized it, it was another friend and we both swaped back to single monitors.

I live to go faster...or die trying.
    Originally posted by Lienhart

Back on topic...

Have you ever played an FPS using 3x22/24/19" monitors? I'm pretty damn sure I'd kick your ass at Global Agenda (https://account.globalagendagame.com/GAregister/stats/characterstats.aspx?c=48684&p=97899), Counter-Strike, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike:Source, CoD: MW2, Quake3, UT, UT2k4, UT3, and TF Classic. The only game I'd lose at, is Half Life Deathmatch and L4D series because I don't play those games like a religion.

What I'll tell you right now is the only advantage of having a massive 3 monitor setup compared to 1 is the fact that you see your death coming at you before it happens. END OF STORY. I'm not the only person who has said this and it wasn't me who realized it, it was another friend and we both swaped back to single monitors.

Man.. Seriously? You think that coming here and linking your stats proves something? WOOOOOO! Looky! He's waving his e-peen in my face! I don't give a crap how good you are at any of those games you listed. Sometimes you'd kill me, and sometimes I'd kill you. That's how it works, boy.

And yes, I've played FPS games using the Triple-Head-2-Go setup, and if you actually believe the only advantage it gives you is seeing your death coming before it happens, then you're either lying, have never really played using the set-up, or you're not as good as you think you are. I'll explain...

Let's say I'm using 3x 22" monitors hooked up using the Triple-Head. I've got 2x more peripheral vision than someone else using standard 1680x1050 resolution (my resolution is 5040x1050). Let's say you're backing up and enter my (hugely expanded) field of view on my right-hand side, but you're shooting at someone on YOUR left. You won't see me, and if I didn't have the Triple-Head, I wouldn't see you either. But since I have that extra peripheral vision, I see you when I otherwise may not have. Hence the advantage.

Guys. This isn't rocket science, for f**k's sake. Any idiot should be able to read my description above and understand how those systems give the user an advantage in some circumstances. They won't make you a better player, but they'll allow you to see more than the vast majority of people you're playing against.

-Glen Cook