Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Opinion of STO.

AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

The Borg Return

Level 43+ Federation players now have access to missions versus the Borg. Talk to Admiral Quinn and use the transwarp conduit in the Risa to rendezvous at the Fleet Staging area to begin.

These missions include:

- 3 new Borg related episodes

- Repeatable Star Cluster mission against Borg threats

- Deep Space encounters with Patrolling Borg fleets

- A Daily Star Cluster mission which grants Marks of Exploration for use at an exclusive store in the Staging Fleet to gear up for upcoming Raidisode content.

In addition, level 43+ Klingon players now have access to repeatable Borg related Klingon Defense missions.

Level 43+ players of both factions also gain access to Daily PVP missions which grant Marks of Honor which can be redeemed for exclusive top end gear at stores on K7/Ganalda respectively.

This update sets the stage for additional Borg conflicts which will be released in coming weeks.

Now on to Release Notes

General

The pre-order bonus Borg Bridge Officers should now display their traits. They were always there, but they were not visible.

You no longer receive an error message when clicking the "Call for Help" button after dying when you are not on a team.

Added the ability to filter the types of PVP Queues displayed when looking up what Queus are available.

Updated instructions given during game play on how to assign Bridge Officers

Closing the mail window no longer prevent you from interacting with objects and contacts until you walk away from the mailbox.

We've improved framerate when viewing the Skills window and reduced the lag when decreasing the rank of a skill.

The Character Rename button should now work properly

Missions

Borg missions are now available to Fed players when they arrive in the Borg Sector

New Daily missions are available for level 43+ players that offer Marks as rewards which can be used in special stores in the Staging Fleet, K7 and Ganalda. To to your remote contacts for details.

Added repeatable Star Cluster and Deepspace hunting missions versus the Borg for both Fed and Klingon players

Updated the Klingon Player introductory mission progression to help get players to Ganalda

Federation PvP missions have been added

Updated Miral Paris' following/combat AI on Regulus IV ground to be more robust;

Fixed some bugs in the Klingon daily PVP missions - players with ground objectives (kill X captains on ground) might not have seen this complete if they were in an indoor PvP map

Fixed some text bugs with the Klingon daily PvP missions

Fixed the number of Klingon PvP missions required at each rank to be 3 per rank

Made all repeatable Star Cluster missions have a 30 minute cooldown from start of mission instead of from turn in.

Made all repeatable Deep Space Encounter missions have a 30 minute cooldown from start of mission.

Powers and Skills

The ability to skill up captaining the Negh'Var is now available in Klingon skill trees.

Some space weapons tooltips were reporting 5% chance, when the chance was actually 2.5%.

Disruptor damage resistance proc now works correctly

Tri-cobalt mines dropped correctly now

Mines only slot in aft weapon slots as design intended

The primary explosion from abandon ship no longer affects friendly targets. The resulting delayed warp core breach will still affect friendly targets.

Field Logistics is now correctly listed as an Admiral skill

The Engineering ability Aceton Field had a bug that caused it to appear as a ground power on Bridge Officers even though it's a space power.

UI

Added a missin icon for the Anesthesine gas applied power.

Corrected a bad description on one of the Tribbles.

Corrected a bad display name on the Pre-order Automated Defense Turret.

Added the missing icon for Vulcan "Logical" trait.

Updated message text when renaming characters to be clearer

Added a Crew button to the inventory window that opens your status assignment window

Updated the the Cancel and OK buttons

Rearranged elements of the Ship customization window to match the layout of the character customization window.

Updated the headshot displayed for a saved costume

Added proper indentation to objectives displayed in the mission journal.

Spending skillpoints on your captain, then attempting to spend skillpoints on a bridge officer without first hitting accept will no longer trigger an error message to be displayed.

Upon deleting a Klingon character, if the next character in character selection was a FED, the UI no longer remains in the red-Klingon scheme.

Updated the power tray sensitivity so that you must drag an element completely off the tray in order to remove an item. This prevents losing an item when trying to move it to another slot and dropping it accidentally.

Add lots of additional information to the character selection screen.

Purchase and Cancel buttons are now always available when customizing a costume.

Visual and Sound FX

Hooked up correct beam up fx for some critter groups

Fixed Plasma sniper rifles so that the laser sight no longer comes out of the player's foot

Adjusted shields on Borg ships that were sticking out strangely

Here are the patch notes from today's patch, the first supposed "major" patch of content for STO.  For those that may not know or don't visit the official forums I would like to inform you that this patch addresses absolutely NONE of the major issues the player base is reporting from a technical standpoint.  I actually laughed aloud when I read these.  I'll name a few of the issues that Cryptic didn't bother to address with this patch along with some other fun ones thrown in.  Feel free to add to the list.  Also, I don't want to hear the defenders arguments for why this was acceptable.  Fact is, it's not no matter how diluded you may be.  What's worse is the complete lack of communication from Cryptic about what's going on with actually game changing bugs...

1.  Still no fixes to broken or completely missing pre-order items.  Apparently this is a known issue and Cryptic is aware that items promised to be available to players at launch for pre-ordering the game are still MIA.  Most of these are not game breaking but the addition of new content while not fixing missing content that they announced would be in at launch is pretty sad.  What's worse is that it has taken a major forum bitch fest by the player base before Cryptic even acknowledged that the items were not available or that the content was broken.   They knew this wasn't available or working in beta and yet never communicated to the playerbase that a problem existed until after the pre-orders were purchased and the game had launched.  I'll let you decide how ethical that is.

2.  Currently there are some serious issues with the game UI and Fleet Management systems that players are reporting.  There have already been multiple threads about the issue and a few unfortunate Fleet leaders have had their fleet banks wiped out because they were not aware of that the bug existed.  Hell of a way to learn that little gem.  No fix for that issue in this patch and to my knowledge there's been no communication regarding the problem from Cryptic.

3.  Still content that is completely unplayable due to bugs.  There is still content in game right now that cannot be completed due to bugs that exist.  Again, no communication from the Dev team about the issue and no fixes to any content bugs in the patch.  Awesome job on your first patch.  Any bets on whether this new Borg content is bugged to holy hell?

4.  Acknowledging that there seems to be a lack of content for levels 40 - 45 the Devs added repeatable PvP missions for Feds and Klinks.  Actually a nice addition here tbh.

There's more that can be added here but I'll stop with this.  This is a sad first effort.  No server performance upgrades which are BADLY needed along with this list.  The more I play this game the more I'm starting to really believe that Cryptic is trying to string people along until the free month is over in the hopes of reaping a nice subscription windfall from those that don't cancel.  I think the major 45 day content patch speaks to that.  Convenient that this content happens to be available after the free month is over instead of getting it out to players before that. 

[MOD EDIT]

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Ok, Ok, adding content

Please explaine what is missing !

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

I must agree,

They pretty much took star trek skins and layed um over the CoH/CoV game.  I mean could they have made new sounds for this game and not just took um from CoH/CoV?  Even the char customazation is the same. Right down to the faces and alien skin.  I feel they rushed it out just to make some money off the large treky population.

Fail....also sad once agin for us that are looking for the game to keep us away from WoW.

• daelvenangeldaelvenangel Member Posts: 19

Welcome to Champions Online..Ooops I mean a Cryptic Game.   While atleast with CO our pre order items worked...the rest is pretty much standard Cryptic Behavior.  Eventually they'll damage control and start holding ask Cryptic and Dev IRC chats to pretend to know how to communicate with the playerbase.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Problem with most peoples whining about how shitty the game is this : YOU BOUGHT IT !  It's not that we did'nt told ya.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

The game will slowly dwindle down in numbers as more people realize it's not worth the money. Some people are going to enjoy the game never the less and will put 100% faith in Cryptic (which is unfortunate) but hey it's their money. A lot of people bash MMORPG's forum but at least here you get cold hard honesty.

I just hope Cryptic doesn't come through on another MMO because this horror needs to end. They know people get excited - buy lifetimes - buy the boxes and subscribe because most casual players don't make it to the shit sandwich in a couple of days, by then it's too late.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I have a handful of trekkie friends that live and die by this game.

Seriously it's like life it self to them.

I honestly feel the real trek fans love the game.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

I honestly feel the real trek fans love the game.

Yeah...just what this forum needs, a smattering of the "no true Scotsman" fallacy.

Edit:  Can you really make the title of a thread something like what the OP did?  It seems excessively vulgar, even if I agree with the general sentiment.

If you mean real star trek fan like these guys, so yeah i guess they enjoy STO :  Personally i'm a Star trek fan but NOT one of them.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880
    Originally posted by Heretique

The game will slowly dwindle down in numbers as more people realize it's not worth the money. Some people are going to enjoy the game never the less and will put 100% faith in Cryptic (which is unfortunate) but hey it's their money. A lot of people bash MMORPG's forum but at least here you get cold hard honesty.
    I just hope Cryptic doesn't come through on another MMO because this horror needs to end. They know people get excited - buy lifetimes - buy the boxes and subscribe because most casual players don't make it to the shit sandwich in a couple of days, by then it's too late.

People like you need to stop over exaggerating the game. It isn't bad. Trust me is isn't great by any means. It is soso at best. It can become a good mmo. That is totally up to cryptic if they come through with the updates. This sites forums are pretty bad when gauging how a game really is. Straight up by the game yourself and try it or go to G4 for a very honest review of the game. Both positives and negatives.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

Ok, Ok, adding content

sigh...

ship interior, sense of exploration (short hallway) and nipples...

what do i win.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by Drachasor

I honestly feel the real trek fans love the game.

Yeah...just what this forum needs, a smattering of the "no true Scotsman" fallacy.

Edit:  Can you really make the title of a thread something like what the OP did?  It seems excessively vulgar, even if I agree with the general sentiment.

I should have edited my post.

What I mean is the hardcore trekkies that arent also hardcore mmo fans love STO.

Kinda like those 20k+ Star wars fans that love SWG to death even though to a mmo fan its a worthless pile of shit.

You will always have a small following of IP fans that now nothing of MMOs.

These people don't care about instancing and lack of endgame content. They just wanna fly and spaceship and speak fucking klingon in private chat.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Im having fun playing it but I dont see myself playing the game past the 2 month mark. I'm not one of thsoe putting thier faith in cryptic at all, but hope they do make great improvements. MMORPG forums "cold hard honesty" is extremly subjective in any game talked about.

My quick review: Game is fun for a month or so but unless they add alot of content and fast. It'll only be for the harcore fans.

(BBBBBWWWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH raises plunger in salute to Janice Rand in that red skirt!)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    Originally posted by Beanpuie

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Ok, Ok, adding content

sigh...

ship interior, sense of exploration (short hallway) and nipples...

what do i win.

Nice nips!

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

A lot of people bash MMORPG's forum but at least here you get cold hard honesty.

So not true. Look at any game forum on this site and you will see a resident troll who is hell bent on spreading his/her agenda to discredit the game or the company. Worthless piles of text.

Look at this topic. How am I suppose to take it seriously when the OP can't even write a constructive negative topic about the game?

People need to use common sense and read user post history, it speaks volumes before cold hard honesty comes out in these forums.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

Originally posted by Sevenwind

A lot of people bash MMORPG's forum but at least here you get cold hard honesty.

So not true. Look at any game forum on this site and you will see a resident troll who is hell bent on spreading his/her agenda to discredit the game or the company. Worthless piles of text.

Look at this topic. How am I suppose to take it seriously when the OP can't even write a constructive negative topic about the game?

People need to use common sense and read user post history, it speaks volumes before cold hard honesty comes out in these forums.

It's a FORUM, not a journalist editorial section.  Geez get real.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188
    Originally posted by Aguitha

Wow it's a forum? Who knew?! point is I'm not going to trust anyones opinion on a game until I read their post history. You can do whatever you want. I would have missed out on some fun games if I took most of the opinions on this site... oh sorry FORUM.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Originally posted by Aguitha

Wow it's a forum? Who knew?! point is I'm not going to trust anyones opinion on a game until I read their post history. You can do whatever you want. I would have missed out on some fun games if I took most of the opinions on this site... oh sorry FORUM.

Correction You wouldnt be playing any games if took the poster's opinions from these forums! LOL

(BBBBBWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH fires plungers at Gorn ships. Gorn attempt truce talks with the Raving Rabbid!)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

Meh, I dont need to read user post history to determine that this thread is a pretty worthless review/indication of state of game.

Thread title and how the user writes tells me its mostly a rant.

Are these bugs really game breaking? Generally forums explode with just a few vocal people but do not really speak for the majority of the playerbase.

Also, because they fixed some bugs and released content doesn't mean they aren't working on the issues you mentioned.

Everything done by devs are prioritized and then completed. Also, devs do different tasks. Some devs will be making new content even if it will be unplayable due to a bug because they arnt bug fixers. Because one is a dev doesn't mean they can do anything in the game. So yes, new content will be added before old content is fixed because some problems are rooted in areas that certain people work on and they have a list of things to do themselves.

Its this kind of gross misunderstanding of how the whole system works that makes reviews/updates like this as worthless as the what they are calling the game.

• Game-WolfGame-Wolf Member Posts: 100

i think it's a good MMO i'm having more fun playing this game then i did playing WOW for 2 years and Aion for 2 months.. i think all the people who say how bad STO is and that they hate it are just people who hate anything Star Trek they always have and always will..and STO is 100 %  Star Trek ...

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

The 3 BIG Trek Fans in My Guild seem to be liking the Game a lot...Me and another Guildie who were not nearly as big Trek Fans were REALLY looking forward to STO, but ended up not liking it much...The Trek Fans get a lot more out of this Game (I think) cause they are SO much more familiar with the little things of ST lore...I think it makes up a HUGE gap where the Game itself may fall short...

Anyway...In My personal experience there is definitely something to your theory...

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

@ OP. Thanks for posting the patch notes, I've been at work all day and haven't patched up yet. As for the patch, I see some nice new content, some bug fixes, and some polishing. Sounds good to me; after all, the game is just out a week now. As far as the rant at the end though, wow. All I saw was "I saw a bug and I want it fixed now". Yes there are problems. I don't know what bugs others are seeing but at Cmdr 4, I haven't seen a game breaker since OB and I have done every single mission offered to me. I have found and reported bugs, some are fixed, others aren't.

I hate to break down into a WoW vs STO tirade here, but my opinion of every "major" WoW patch went something like this: 3 months hype, drop patch on Tuesday, fix half the stuff the patch broke on Thursday. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a WoW hater. I loved that game (more than I should have) for several years. But my point is: if Blizzard is tracking 180,000 bugs in the biggest, most successful game ever released, then why should every bug in a brand new game be fixed "right now!"? Our perfect world (yours AND mine) is no bugs at all. But that simply won't happen.

Not sure what the problem with server performance is either. I've not had one single issue since the game launched. In headstart, yes; now, no. 

Point: we all need to give them a chance and get out of the "I want <this> and I want <it> now" mentality. 

Maybe I'm just more relaxed than most because I'm a lifer and I can wait for whatever happens to come out.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Game-Wolf

i think it's a good MMO i'm having more fun playing this game then i did playing WOW for 2 years and Aion for 2 months.. i think all the people who say how bad STO is and that they hate it are just people who hate anything Star Trek they always have and always will..and STO is 100 %  Star Trek ...

nah, I actually quite enjoy star trek in general.

Its just STO that I think is bad.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Game-Wolf

I'm a life long star trek fan and I'm enjoying myself immensely, but I have to disagree with this post. There were a lot of fans that wanted this game to be a Star Trek simulator, where you live in a Starship, repair conduits,everyone is a member of the crew and has to work their way from ensign to captain. There were many threads on this subject when it became known early last year that such a game was not going to happen from Cryptic.  I'm thankful that type of game didn't happen, but there were some Star Trek fans that were dissapointed with that bit of news.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I think STO a very good mmo with a huge potential. As long as Cryptic keep patching in new content on a regular basis I will very happily sub this game.

• oddjobs74oddjobs74 Member Posts: 526

Which is really silly, because the game is in no way shape or form Star Trek.

This is indisputable.