Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maybe a stupid question!

ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

OK, i know there is probably an obvious answer to this one, but i will ask anyway. My son would really like to play this game, but the machine he has available to him only has 1GB Ram installed and the specs on the official site say 2Gb for winXP?

Has anyone played this with less at all?

Just buying extra memory is not an option at the moment as i have a new motherboard etc to rebuild this machine in the next month or so when i can get hold of a new processor and the reason for the rush to play is that it is his Birthday this week and he wanted this as a present.

MY 1000th POST!!!!!!

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Comments

• Recon415Recon415 Member Posts: 55

If your son's computer only has 1GB of ram, more likely than not the graphics card is either bare minimum or doesn't support Shader 3 or something or other...

If you do get it running, on lowest settings, it should work. Prepare to open taskmanager, however, to kill just about every superficial process to free up ram. Also, Glary Utilities (a freeware app) has a memory optimizer in which you can free ram.

I have computers; they are fast.

• ponerrponerr Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by jason_webb

OK, i know there is probably an obvious answer to this one, but i will ask anyway. My son would really like to play this game, but the machine he has available to him only has 1GB Ram installed and the specs on the official site say 2Gb for winXP?
    Just buying extra memory is not an option at the moment as i have a new motherboard etc to rebuild this machine in the next month or so when i can get hold of a new processor and the reason for the rush to play is that it is his Birthday this week and he wanted this as a present.
    MY 1000th POST!!!!!!

a gig of ram prolly costs 10 bucks these days, retail new.. So ugh quit being cheap and get your kid some ram.. 1 gig ram is like

putting in only 2/6 spark plugs to run your car... pointless.

As far as that guy recomends a memory program. lulz... they are gimmics and proven worthless crap. Sure there is the removing of system components that you dont need like themes for windows and print proccesses etc etc , but youll get like crumbs and no benefit.

go spend 10 bucks and your machine will actually come to life

-- Pon --

Originally posted by ponerr

As far as that guy recomends a memory program. lulz... they are gimmics and proven worthless crap. Sure there is the removing of system components that you dont need like themes for windows and print proccesses etc etc , but youll get like crumbs and no benefit.

Unfortunately, this is usually true. The mem optimizer I recommended though just frees up 200 or so megs by simply bumping processes into the page file. It's not a hardware replacement, but it's a quick fix for high mem games.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

a gig of ram prolly costs 10 bucks these days, retail new.. So ugh quit being cheap and get your kid some ram.. 1 gig ram is like

I am in the UK and the memory for his machine is gonna be about £30 (about $47) and as the machine will be gone in a few weeks, it isn't about being cheap, it is about being practical and not throwing money down the drain that could be spent on the upgrade instead. You may have seen on the news that there has been a slight slump in the economy over here and money has a slight premium to it for some of us!

Memeory apps are never an option, my original question was if anyone had played it with the lower amount of ram, any chance of a direct answer. No, will do!

• AevenathAevenath Member UncommonPosts: 116

1GB of RAM COULD technically run the game. But then your graphics card and processor factor in. Since you're going to be upgrading a computer for him soon it's a waste to really buy anything for it now, like you said.

What is his current graphics card and processor?

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

MY 1000th POST!!!!!!

putting in only 2/6 spark plugs to run your car... pointless.

go spend 10 bucks and your machine will actually come to life

Yeah those apps arent brilliant but surely crumbs are better than nothing.......especially when those crumbs are free. I use Game Booster and I have noticed some slight performance increase in some games such as Risen which is a laggy bastard on my machine. You can download it from plenty of places such as http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by Aevenath
    1GB of RAM COULD technically run the game. But then your graphics card and processor factor in. Since you're going to be upgrading a computer for him soon it's a waste to really buy anything for it now, like you said.

He would be covered on those for minimum spec, 3700+ processor with a 512Mb 7300GT with shader 3.0 support. Think it would be best to just hang fire for now and go with the new build.

• AevenathAevenath Member UncommonPosts: 116

Originally posted by Aevenath

He would be covered on those for minimum spec, 3700+ processor with a 512Mb 7300GT with shader 3.0 support. Think it would be best to just hang fire for now and go with the new build.

Processor is fine, the graphics card I'm not too sure about. I can play this game on max @ 1920x1200 with an 8800gts 512, e8400 and 4GB RAM. His card is decent enough I'm almost positive.

He could more than likely run it on low settings but really, that might turn him away from the game IMO. This game on low settings looks pretty bad. I'd say wait to get him the game until you upgrade the computer for him. For his birthday you can get him a book or something, I recommend The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

That would work. Although you may experience lower than 20 fps. Main thing I was checking for was the shader 3

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

MY 1000th POST!!!!!!

Don't ruin the game for your son.  That's exactly what you'll be doing, allowing him to play anything on that relic you call a computer.  1Gig of RAM will run you 20-30 bucks USD.  With a computer that old, I'm assuming it supports DDR1.  If you're upgrading to a MB that supports DDR2, just wait.  It won't be compatible anyways.

I'd be afraid the thing would blow up and kill your son as old as it sounds.  Hell, I had a computer 10 years ago that was better than that.